Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
When will the #boxingpurists finally remove Golovkin from their pro lists due to this continually shameful ducking of Jorge Sebastian Heiland and Michel Soro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

They removed him a long time ago if you talk to die-hard Andre Ward fans.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

GGG got too mainstream, everyone moved on to Roman Gonzalez but then he got too mainstream as well, so now it's Naoya Inoue, he's totally amazing dude you have to see him

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

They removed him a long time ago if you talk to die-hard Andre Ward fans.

#LittleGvsSpecialK

Lionel Richie posted:

GGG got too mainstream, everyone moved on to Roman Gonzalez but then he got too mainstream as well, so now it's Naoya Inoue, he's totally amazing dude you have to see him

Inoue is yesterday's news man. Better get on the Shunsuke Yamanaka and Knockout CP Freshmart trains before you get left behind

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

this is just like canelo vs khan in whatever hope brook has of outboxing him is negated by the size difference so what's the point

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Naoya Inoue's career is probably ruined before it even got off the ground (which is very strange too say about a guy who dethroned the long reinging super-flyweight king in two rounds of domination and before that was a titlist at light-fly) because he keeps breaking his hands. His brother and cousin might have better luck

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

Maybe Brook's... trying to reinvigorate the Khan match? It seems like he's copying Khan in a very direct way and even one-upping him in terms of risk. If he loses maybe he can lure Khan back along the lines of both being on even footing?

I've heard discussion that this fight might help Khan-Brook by giving them similar claims to fame, could help GGG-Saunders by getting a bunch of British fans see the former and some people are even speculating a future GGG/Canelo card with Khan/Brook as a cofeature (which is dumb and won't happen ever)

The Ninth Layer posted:

Is ANYONE giving Brook even an outside chance of winning?

Well, Brook is a big welterweight Who's had an eye on the larger divisions, which makes this a bit better than Khan because he wasn't even a welterweight to begin with. Brook is a good boxer as well, he could probably do a decent run at 154 or 160. But GGG... It's a leap too far for somebody who hasn't fought anybody above 147. I'd pick GGG even if they were the same weight tbh. It's sort of the same situation with Khan, it's not just a bigger guy, it's a bigger and better guy.

The SituAsian posted:

Inoue is yesterday's news man. Better get on the Shunsuke Yamanaka and Knockout CP Freshmart trains before you get left behind

I was on the Freshmart train the moment I read his name in a small "also picked up wins" blurb. I'm so glad he won a title and people have more reason to talk about him now. I'm sure the CP Freshmart company is happy about that as well.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 9, 2016

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boxing is so loving weird.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Kell Brook vs Gennady Golovkin, September, 02 London.

Kell Brook's 0 is probably gonna go...

what the hell

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Kovalev has always come across as extremely indifferent to the in ring death he caused.

Hell, the Russians even have a phrase for it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lionel Richie posted:

Naoya Inoue, he's totally amazing dude you have to see him

i agree

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
It'll be an odd atmosphere at the O2, every British boxing fan loves GGG or is at least hyped to see him fight over here, while Brook isn't exactly Our Ricky in terms of fanbase

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Kovalev-Chilemba starts in about an hour. Replays tonight at 10 on hbo.

In before November Chilemba-Alexander Brand superfight

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

US TV is being pretty dumb on that one. Can't imagine there is a ton of demand for tape delay on a Monday.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gtkor posted:

US TV is being pretty dumb on that one. Can't imagine there is a ton of demand for tape delay on a Monday.

Who's watching HBO at this time on a Monday? It's the only logical move.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

How many people are going to really tune into HBO on a Monday night that won't already know what is going on? If you buy HBO for the boxing, you will already know what is going on by air time, and I doubt if you buy HBO for the shows, you are watching boxing just because it is on a Monday night.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Probably a bigger number of people than the group who will be watching an online stream on Monday afternoon, or the HBO feed at the same time.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gtkor posted:

How many people are going to really tune into HBO on a Monday night that won't already know what is going on? If you buy HBO for the boxing, you will already know what is going on by air time, and I doubt if you buy HBO for the shows, you are watching boxing just because it is on a Monday night.

You know that most people have, like, jobs and stuff?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I was unaware. Seems like i'm looking at it the wrong way. Given the fact that HBO has a template for live streaming, probably could have contracted it out to BoxNation (similar to what Showtime does in these type of instances), it just seems odd to not offer it as an option.

It's a premium pay channel that essentially specializes in one sport as far as live TV goes. You would assume they could figure out a way to show live sport, especially in what probably would have been a budget fight for them (given someone else is probably putting up a fair amount of the tab on a Russia located fight).

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There are probably more "watch it when it's on" boxing fans subscribed to HBO than there are hardcore fans. So to HBO it makes sense to show fights when more of their audience is watching, even if it comes at the cost of live action suspense.

Personally I'd love for there to be a live option for fighting, I'm sure they could interrupt the third daily showing of Fast 7 for it if that's what they wanted to do.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

chilemba not looking that bad so far. ward will be enjoying this

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Probably even through 4 if I had to guess.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

kov's pulled away now but wow, my hype for the ward fight is about halved right now. feel like ward's gonna slice him up easily unless kovalev just wasn't up for this one

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
......... that was a pretty bad showing from kov. all respect to chilemba though he was there to fight.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

thehappyprince posted:

kov's pulled away now but wow, my hype for the ward fight is about halved right now. feel like ward's gonna slice him up easily unless kovalev just wasn't up for this one

A lot of credit to Chilemba for the fight plan and execution. I would wonder how some of this translates for Ward though. You would expect him to be strong and he clearly is a better inside fighter than Kovalev, but I am not sure he will get as much respect from him with his punching power. I think Ward could fight this kind of fight plan, but it wouldn't necessarily be how he would want to fight.

I will say, I did not think of Chilemba as much of a hitter though, and he got a fair amount of respect from Kovalev for what he was hitting him with, which would have to be a good sign for Ward.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

gtkor posted:

I was unaware. Seems like i'm looking at it the wrong way. Given the fact that HBO has a template for live streaming, probably could have contracted it out to BoxNation (similar to what Showtime does in these type of instances), it just seems odd to not offer it as an option.

It's a premium pay channel that essentially specializes in one sport as far as live TV goes. You would assume they could figure out a way to show live sport, especially in what probably would have been a budget fight for them (given someone else is probably putting up a fair amount of the tab on a Russia located fight).

Premium cable (HBO and Showtime) have been at the forefront of providing more streaming and on-demand services but-at least in HBO's case-their sports budget has been slashed quite a bit so there's really no reason for them to have Lampley, Kellerman, et al. fly out to Russia. Also a lot HBO's strength as a brand in boxing broadcasting has been their presentation and since they have no control over that there's no reason to incur those extra expenses. An HBO boxing producer talks about in a recent podcast around 15 minutes.

A lot of it also comes down to live sports kind of having to fight back against the whole streaming/on-demand revolution as well. There's really not much these days that qualifies as appointment viewing and a tune-up for Kovalev is certainly not that.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
god I hope Ward is still the same guy who dismantled Chad Dawson

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Jessie Vargas has a new opponent :)

https://twitter.com/espn/status/752998915595702272

VVVV: I would have to imagine it's Vargas most of the time but if Top Rank and Haymon are now working togther and Haymon fighters are back on HBO, etc. Danny Garcia has to be a bit of a dark horse. Maybe Shawn Porter if Broner priced himself out. Or dare I say it-at last Amir Khan

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 13, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I never bought into it. At least Floyd pretended he'd stay retired.

Blatantly setting up for the rematch now. Pacquiao just needs to fight a guy with two losses or less and win. That's really all the credibility he will need for them to sell it again.

Decent chance Crawford gets the fight if he can beat Pistol.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Pacquiao is the worst.

Wilder/Arreola is the fight on this week. I can't see Arreola getting past 4 rounds. At this point, he is who he is: an overweight B level brawler who is tough and can fight a bit. He's not great by any stretch, and he's looked markedly worse in his last 3 fights since losing by KO to Bermaine Stiverne. He's not a legitimate top 10 level guy, at least anymore.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 13, 2016

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Arreola should get ran out of there pretty quick you would think. Rigondeaux is also up this weekend for something completely different than Deontay Wilder.

I had forgotten Crawford is a PPV fight coming up in a few weeks. I was a little surprised they went the PPV route with him before GGG, hopefully he does well. That fight should be good.

Lol forgot all about that Lemieux fight being PPV. Should probably pay better attention to what I order.

gtkor fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 13, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

gtkor posted:

I was a little surprised they went the PPV route with him before GGG
:ssh: Golovkin has fought a ppv

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I have a feeling Crawford-Postol is going to bomb, like under 100k levels. I'll do my part to support it though, it's the kind of fight I think should be PPV, along with Kovalev-Ward

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Arum wants to talk to Haymon about a Pacquiao-Garcia fight for November. I think it'd be a great match, a lot better than Vargas. Danny may not be the best boxer ever but he's still one of the best at welterweight. I think it's an interesting style matchup, Garcia's counterpunching style and movement could give Manny a lot of problems. If it was old Manny I'd pick him on activity, as it stands I'm still not convinced Garcia can keep up with Pacquiao's pace.

Business-wise I think it's a no-brainer too. Enough people have seen Danny on NBC and Fox to give him the exposure he needs to challenge Manny and make a good PPV show of it. Certainly boxing fans all know who Danny Garcia is. If Pacquiao wins then he just ruined an undefeated, young top welterweight and put himself back at the top of the division, ready for a big Mayweather 2. If Danny wins, then he's an undefeated, young top welterweight that just beat Manny Pacquiao, perfectly set up for Mayewather's big 50 comeback fight. Win-win for Haymon, provided you are willing to work with Arum.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pac denied the comeback on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/MannyPacquiao/

quote:

OFFICE OF HON. EMMANUEL D. PACQUIAO
SENATE OF THE PHILIPPINES
PRESS STATEMENT
THERE IS NO TRUTH TO MEDIA REPORTS THAT I’M PLANNING TO TAKE A LEAVE FROM MY SENATE DUTIES JUST TO FIGHT AGAIN ATOP THE RING.
I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR – MY PRIORITY IS MY LEGISLATIVE WORKS.
MY NEXT FIGHT HAS NOT YET BEEN DISCUSSED. SHOULD THERE BE ANY, I’LL MAKE SURE IT WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH MY SENATE DUTIES.
WHEN I RAN FOR SENATOR LAST MAY 9 ELECTIONS, I MADE A PROMISE TO BE PRESENT IN ALL SESSIONS.
I OWE IT TO THE PEOPLE.
IF EVER I DECIDE TO FIGHT AGAIN, REST ASSURED, IT WILL HAPPEN WHEN CONGRESS IS ON RECESS SO THERE’S NO NEED FOR ME TO GO ON LEAVE.
THE ENTIRE TRAINING WILL BE DONE IN THE PHILIPPINES TO ENSURE I CAN ATTEND SESSIONS EVEN WHILE ON TRAINING CAMP.
BOXING IS MY ONLY MEANS OF LIVELIHOOD TO SUPPORT MY FAMILY AND TO HELP THOSE WHO ARE IN NEED.
POLITICS, TO ME, IS A VOCATION NOT A MEANS TO EKE OUT A LIVING.
I WANT TO MAINTAIN THAT BELIEF. I WANT TO KEEP MY DIGNITY INTACT WHILE IN PUBLIC SERVICE.
MAY GOD CONTINUE TO GUIDE AND BLESS ALL OUR ENDEAVORS.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Don't know if that's a denial really. I guess he's trying to mollify his constituents that he won't just bail on his seat. Iirc for last few fights Roach would travel the Phillipines for most of the camp and they would finish up at the Wild Card for a week or two.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
All you boxing hipsters stroke your beards and crack out an IPA because Rigondeaux is fighting right now on an undercard in Cardiff

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Monday Bandele posted:

All you boxing hipsters stroke your beards and crack out an IPA because Rigondeaux is fighting right now on an undercard in Cardiff

please, we've moved on to

(spins wheel)

...Rances Barthelemy

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Another Rigondeaux classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
He broke the dudes jaw with the first punch he threw, what more do people want?

• Locked thread