Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, and either Phi or Sigma has SHIFTed in from a timeline where she voted the opposite and then forgotten about that themselves, which leads to them wasting all their time having slapfights about that instead of thinking it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

dmboogie posted:

I don't think anyone's surprised by the outcome of this.

Source.

And here I thought that Dio didn't give a gently caress!

(please don't hurt me for my bad pun)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How does one half-gently caress. Are they counting 'fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu--'?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

Phi has said gently caress!?

Iirc it was when she drop kicked Delta in one of her only lines in the last like 1/4 of the game

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The thing I didn't like about Delta reveal was why didn't anyone include him in the math for killing 4 vs 3 but I guess mind hacking protected him most of the time.

Oh I guess it's because nobody in the other teams ever knew about Sean until the end.

What about Mira and Eric then?

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 9, 2016

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

exploding mummy posted:

Mira quite literally states why she's in the game. She's serving as the pirahna in the tank full of koi, basically serving as a mechanism to agitate the other teams.

Zero mostly involved her because even not only was she was a serial killer, she was the serial killer that killed Eric's mother, which set off the series to an extent.

Eric's involved because he really does love Mira, mainly because she killed his mother and stole her smile, and is crazy clingy.

Mira doesn't get a pass. After the game is over, she turns herself over the police and confesses to all of her murders in an attempt to start atoning for her actions. Sean decides that the only actual way to atone is to bust her out of prison and send her & Eric back in time via the transporter to stop herself from killing though.

That gets a big 'ol raised-brow "Really?" from me. Delta grabbed up a serial killer and her devoted/dumb lover to throw a bunch of chaos into his carefully orchestrated plan? He didn't need an unreliable serial killer if he wanted to off some people in some timelines. And robot-head Sean busts her out of max-sec prison and they go back in time to atone for her sins, because Mira suddenly found a conscience? That's really stretching it. It's ok though, I still liked the story, but Mira and Eric didn't fit. If they never existed it wouldn't have changed anything, which you can't say about the rest of the cast.

Also, I didn't realize everybody got new files after the game ended. Shoulda told me, game! I even completed every side-branch just in case it unlocked something.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i just wanna take this time to point out the first game uchikoshi worked on

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I want to play unknown erotic visual novel

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I want to know what it is!!!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he made a kamaitachi game??

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mira's more of a threat to D team though. C team did just fine killing each other by themselves.

Though I guess her death makes Eric the piranha.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cake Attack posted:

I want to play unknown erotic visual novel

voltcatfish posted:

I want to know what it is!!!

surprise it's also pepsiman

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shear Modulus posted:

Iirc it was when she drop kicked Delta in one of her only lines in the last like 1/4 of the game

Yeup.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

That's only one!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
He talked about Pepsiman in an interview in a book I have (which I only bought because it also had an interview with ZUN; it was some Kickstarter thing about interviewing famous Japanese game developers). As I recall, he went to trade school to learn to be a 3D modeler, but once he started actually working on games he found he was more interested in writing.

Edit: Okay, I remembered it wrong. He dropped out of college and then went to a "game design" school that gave him a brief overview of everything. He got hired as a 3D modeler for Pepsiman, and then his boss suddenly asked him to write a game because "hey, you can do a little bit of everything, right?" And he only wrote love stories at first because he was told that that was what sold. But he would have preferred to write sci-fi. He insists that he's really not that into Back to the Future, honest.

The "unknown erotic visual novel" is something he deliberately left his name off of, and at the time of the interview he claims he actually forgot the title. Reading through this, I feel like the wikipedia list was just taken directly from this book.

Edit2: Remember11's ending was bad because he and the director each had strong opinions on how it should end, and ultimately they just split the difference

Edit3: Uchikoshi hasn't had a pleasant dream since he was a teenager, only nightmares, and often wakes up screaming. He rather enjoys this and uses them for inspiration. Uh, okay...

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 9, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm like 15 hours into this game and I can't shake this bizarre suspicion that Sigma and Diana are somehow Phi's parents, even though that makes literally no sense. The conversations they have just give me that vibe. Also the topic of Phi's parentage came up multiple times, so surely that's finally going to be addressed at some point. I imagine the real explanation will be far dumber.

Also I got Diana's ending where she unleashes Radical-6 into the world and Junpei and Akane are loving dead so unless they fax themselves to this timeline there's going to be a bit of a plothole.

lmao

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's no way that's a real unspoiled post lmao

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean unpredictability isn't as much of a problem when your plan spans every possible timeline.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

There's no way that's a real unspoiled post lmao

It could be a wise guy trying to look clever but I choose to believe

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
To be fair Diana being Phi's mom is foreshadowed as poo poo from minute one once you notice Phi's glaring red eyebrows, which she never had before.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

flatluigi posted:

i just wanna take this time to point out the first game uchikoshi worked on

Oh poo poo. I wonder which scenario he wrote for Linear Bounded Phenogram.

Edit: Oh poo poo, Naotaka Hayashi helped write Remember 11. :aaa:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 9, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Oh poo poo. I wonder which scenario he wrote for Linear Bounded Phenogram.

Apparently it was "Three Contrapasso about the Abduction".

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The last page of this thread convinced me to finally charge my PSP's battery and put in that copy of 12Riven I've had on my shelf for years, never opened.

The first hour is already as Uchikoshi as gently caress.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

To be fair Diana being Phi's mom is foreshadowed as poo poo from minute one once you notice Phi's glaring red eyebrows, which she never had before.

Yeah I definitely thought there was more to that fairly early

It was more the "fax themselves" that made that post stand out

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's easily possible to know about the alien fax machine within the first 15 hours. Heck, it was literally the first fragment I chose after the introductory ones, and Zero explains it all in a lot of detail. So while to some people it may have been a late game plot twist that completely changed the nature of everything, to others its existence was practically part of the premise. That's the nature of playing a game like this.

Edit: 15 hours is pretty long for a game this short anyway.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 9, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Clarste posted:

It's easily possible to know about the alien fax machine within the first 15 hours. Heck, it was literally the first fragment I chose after the introductory ones. So while to some people it may have been a late game plot twist that completely changed the nature of everything, to others its existence was practically part of the premise. That's the nature of playing a game like this.

True, it's like how in VLR literally the first route I did had Phi and Sigma explicitly acknowledge that they were jumping timelines.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

oh right

I did it pretty late

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

orenronen posted:

The last page of this thread convinced me to finally charge my PSP's battery and put in that copy of 12Riven I've had on my shelf for years, never opened.

The first hour is already as Uchikoshi as gently caress.

Be sure to let this or the VN thread how it goes; I got the PC version in Infinity Plus back in the day and likewise never tried it. I remember everyone being very dismissive of it compared to the other games for some reason?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There's basically a zero percent chance of the infinity games ever getting rereleased, right?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

flatluigi posted:

There's basically a zero percent chance of the infinity games ever getting rereleased, right?

In Japanese they seem to get rereleased every couple of years or so for different platforms.

In Engish only Ever17 was ever released and the rights are in an enormous mess, so it seems unlikely.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
My favorite part of the game was near the end where I told Eric that Gab was Zero and started laughing hysterically when he shot literally everyone but Gab

Then I went :frogsiren: when I realized the implication of the extra gunshot

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sigma is awfully useless in this game. gently caress up with the button in the healing room, killing Phi is needed for the true ending and creating the big bad.

actually, D team are losers

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

In Japanese they seem to get rereleased every couple of years or so for different platforms.

In Engish only Ever17 was ever released and the rights are in an enormous mess, so it seems unlikely.

The English translation for e17 also had a couple glaring mistranslations, including one that actually fucks up an entire major twist. Those got fixed by fans though.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Tired Moritz posted:

Sigma is awfully useless in this game. gently caress up with the button in the healing room, killing Phi is needed for the true ending and creating the big bad.

actually, D team are losers
Who would've thought that Delta held a grudge against his parents and twin sister.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The English translation for e17 also had a couple glaring mistranslations

Kidink?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I loved that part, everybody is still calmly talking or are so shocked they are paralyzed or something while Delta is talking about his MIND  HACKING powers (while still holding the shotgun I think), then Phi just busts out "gently caress THIS, gently caress YOU!" and kicks him in the face
:allears:

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NextTime000 posted:

I loved that part, everybody is still calmly talking or are so shocked they are paralyzed or something while Delta is talking about his MIND  HACKING powers (while still holding the shotgun I think), then Phi just busts out "gently caress THIS, gently caress YOU!" and kicks him in the face
:allears:

the complaint that Phi doesn't have enough input / lines / anything to do in the last quarter of the game is valid, i think.

but goddamn this one bit she gets is good. :allears:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I thought that nothing in the game would get more badass than Firefighter Carlos showing up to save the day then I got to "ARRRRGH gently caress YOU YOU GODDAMN OLD MAN"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

orenronen posted:

- I entered the twins birthday password in the Japanese date order (20291116) and it worked. I wonder if both orders work in both versions.

I just went ahead and tested this; both orders work in the US Vita version.

dmboogie posted:

I don't think anyone's surprised by the outcome of this.

Source.

Dio gave almost 40 fucks. That's nearly as many as four 10s. And that's terrible. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I just beat this game today. It was fantastic, and I can't wait to read this thread now. Though I assume people will be more negative about the game then I feel. I thought it was a really good conclusion to the series.

• Locked thread