Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

blastron posted:

Caramelized sugar that looks like a faceful of nasty charred boils on the face of a living creature. Aside from Parson getting shot, this is the "goriest" thing we've seen happen in a world where blood doesn't come out of people when you cut them.

I mean book 1 had things like Dwagons with their skeletons and muscles showing from injuries. Book 1 was really good for that disconcerting "These things are cutesy little creatures, look at their horrifying battle wounds that completely unnerve you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

To lighten up the mood: the bats in the first illustration totally look like TruckNutz® :v:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

blastron posted:

Caramelized sugar that looks like a faceful of nasty charred boils on the face of a living creature. Aside from Parson getting shot, this is the "goriest" thing we've seen happen in a world where blood doesn't come out of people when you cut them.

It's the tears and runny peep inside the mouth for me :barf:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

NihilCredo posted:

They don't look like burns at all to me, before reading this thread I thought it had got hit by a hail of paver stones or something.

As for you, it might be trypophobia. Don't look it up.

Oh yes I know what's it about but god ugh.

It's because they resemble scabs.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Nice. Nice.

I hope Parson takes credit for this after they all kill each other.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Jillian doesn't look right in that one panel. I can't remember ever seeing that much white in an Erfworlder's eyes. It's like she's temporarily a different "race" (Some of them don't have any sclera.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Well Now we know Ansom's story.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

You know. I'm still not sure if Tramennis drastically miscalculated or he wanted Ansom captured for whatever reason. Or maybe he was right, given that Jillian didn't dust him on sight, and it's just going to be extremely strained diplomacy.

Either way, tearing down not just Ansom as he is but Ansom as he was is pretty brutal. Tramennis described it as a show he was putting on for his court, but I bet the main thrust was to try to remind Ansom how much he valued the men under his command, much like how Ossomer turned back by being reminded of what he used to value.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Note that, while it's insulting to be listed after "Orly No.27" it also puts it all into perspective. And I think Tramennis just misread the play. I don't think Ansom is going to be dusted anymore.

EDIT: New Text update I uh... was not expecting that direction for Albert's character. Honestly it's more sad. I fully expected the kid to wind up being the anti-christ of some sort.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 4, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
We saw that the decrypted can Turn. Is Albert going to Turn?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

A.o.D. posted:

We saw that the decrypted can Turn. Is Albert going to Turn?

While I don't think there are any mechanical reasons why he wouldn't be able to Turn, I'm not seeing any particular reason that would compel him too. His side might be a shitshow but he's got plenty of Duty, particularly since he's a Royal Heir. It's going to take more than severe disappointment in how things are going to force a Turn.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think the point is more, if he turned, and Don's new prince turned, he wouldn't be heir, it takes Schmuckers to designate an heir. Then again I don't think he particularly cares about being Heir, his mother is just a female Stanley, except like... a thousand times angrier, and that would be unbearable.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
That's pretty unfair to Stanley.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

That's pretty unfair to Stanley.

I'm trying to be nice to Jillian

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Onmi posted:

I'm trying to be nice to Jillian

I see. And have you ever considered a less reckless and more fruitful hobby, like starting land wars in Asia?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

I see. And have you ever considered a less reckless and more fruitful hobby, like starting land wars in Asia?

It is very difficult. I console myself with the fact that she's probably serving as an antagonist and not going to swap to the protagonist side at any time.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

My guess is the bracer is cheating again and lying to make TV suspicious. It's almost certain that she's going to attack GK.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

My guess is the bracer is cheating again and lying to make TV suspicious. It's almost certain that she's going to attack GK.
Please forgive my ignorance: when has the bracer cheated in the past?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If the bracer can only calculate based upon what is known to the using side then it may not be cheating/lying.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

XkyRauh posted:

Please forgive my ignorance: when has the bracer cheated in the past?

When Parson first got the 'go home' spell he asked the bracer if it was possible for him to cast it.

It said 'yes' for a split second before changing its answer to 'no' both times it was asked.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Airspace posted:

When Parson first got the 'go home' spell he asked the bracer if it was possible for him to cast it.

It said 'yes' for a split second before changing its answer to 'no' both times it was asked.

This is what I was thinking of. It is part of the Fate spell that summoned him and has railroaded him in the past.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
We've seen the bracer acts on best-guess information known to the side, except in the matter of Parson and Fate, so I don't think it's cheating here, at least, just reporting based on the same incomplete information as the rest of them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Airspace posted:

The answer could be that yes he can correctly activate the scroll, but no, some twist of fate would conspire to prevent him from successfully using it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Fate needs Parson there to do his thing, so when the bracer gave an answer Fate didn't like, it got changed to what it should have been.

The bracer is probably only as good as the person wearing it. With flawed intell, it'll give flawed results. I think it's a lot more likely that Jillian just needs to capture Parson by diplomacy (threatening is diplomacy) and then everything'll be fine. But with TV not knowing the extent to which Charlie wants Parson eliminated, they just think she'll capture the entire city.

isndl
May 2, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is what I was thinking of. It is part of the Fate spell that summoned him and has railroaded him in the past.

That's the thing though, the bracer was never doing the railroading. It was an impartial observer stating the facts to the best of its ability; the only way it could have been more clear that he was being railroaded was if it did something like constantly flashing between the expected and the final result instead of settling on the final and correct result.

If anything, the bracer might arguably be more trustworthy because it's capable of recognizing and reporting when Fate is tampering with the odds. If it was a direct agent of Fate it'd just be reporting Fate's values, not showing normal odds before replacing it with Fate's. We know Thinkamancy can pull information from all the units of a side, even stuff that might not be consciously understood as important information, as this was mentioned in a previous update with Maggie. We haven't seen anything that indicates units can recognize Fate tampering however - Carnymancy can twist Fate, and Luckamancy can massage the odds, but can either of those or any other discipline for that matter identify when Fate is getting involved?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Something that one of the commenters on the Erfworld site noted and that struck me as quite brilliant: We do not actually know what the bracer said in this particular case. The only thing we know is the answer Ben gave to Don.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Aumanor posted:

Something that one of the commenters on the Erfworld site noted and that struck me as quite brilliant: We do not actually know what the bracer said in this particular case. The only thing we know is the answer Ben gave to Don.

Don ordered (capital O) Benjamin to say the number, so unless he was violating it because of Duty (doesn't seem likely in this context) it's the number the bracer showed. It'd be more likely that he rephrased the query to get a result in line with Caesar's answer before Don ordered him to say it, but he'd have to be a good actor to "look surprised" when he saw the result. All in all, Benjamin tampering with the result doesn't seem likely.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Aumanor posted:

That's very true, and something I considered. Maybe he feels like his Duty is to back up Caesar?

It felt like they were setting up for a coup in TV and I'm wondering if it's still in the cards.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Aumanor posted:

I don't think that's where this is going, but that's a pretty good point. Ben's previously been really strongly on Caesar's side--"before making this gem, talking to Caesar's exactly what I gotta do" comes to mind.

That said, this is probably just the limitations of the bracer. If it can only calculate odds using information known to the side, then of course its answer is going to be almost exactly what the chief warlord says.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's a little thing, but I did like the Don/Caesar respect in this one. Most of what we've seen until now has been one or the other focusing on the conflict between them, Don's gestures of respect and aknowledgement of the reason for the conflict are important here.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

There are qualifiers. Charlie wants Parson, he suspects Parson is in Transylvito. But he's not going to send his own forces to capture Parson, because he's paranoid about dying and surrounds himself with loyal Archon's and fire arms. FAQ is Charlie's strong arm, they're who he goes to when he wants to make a play. Just because Jillian is 61% likely to attack, does not mean that she is, of her own desires, going to.

Like it or not, FAQ is dependent on Charlie for support. When he comes to collect, they have to pay up. Especially since Charlie could just take the giants away, remove his financial backing, remove the protection he's been bestowing to FAQ. Jillian owes Charlie her life on more than one occasion. If Charlie gives her the order to capture Parson. Then the odds are more likely that she will.

However, I believe the remaining 39% is the fact that Jillian of her own will, would not attack Transylvito.

Bruceski posted:

It's a little thing, but I did like the Don/Caesar respect in this one. Most of what we've seen until now has been one or the other focusing on the conflict between them, Don's gestures of respect and aknowledgement of the reason for the conflict are important here.

This is also a change for Don, who has implied multiple times that he was going to demote Caesar period. I think him realizing that Caesar is moving to protect the side and him is what's raising his standard of his Chief Warlord. However, I also think that Ben's Duty may be towards Caesar himself rather than Don. Or, rather, his Duty is towards the side and keeping it running, and Caesar aligns more with the money minded Ben's Duty than Don King has.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Carrasco posted:

I don't think that's where this is going, but that's a pretty good point. Ben's previously been really strongly on Caesar's side--"before making this gem, talking to Caesar's exactly what I gotta do" comes to mind.

That said, this is probably just the limitations of the bracer. If it can only calculate odds using information known to the side, then of course its answer is going to be almost exactly what the chief warlord says.

I wouldn't read that previous situation as being "strongly on Caesar's side" - that was more of a 'I need to consult the warlord on how dire our situation would be if I did this' situation, not a 'I won't make a move without his go-ahead' situation. His signamancy as a scientist points towards him being coldly logical and rational, and he's going to tell you to your face why you need to do something rather than disobey orders to lie about small numbers in an attempt to and change your mind.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
You know it'd be pretty drat funny if the heir popped, but ended up being a caster so Caesar stayed chief warlord anyway.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The heir will get Parson signamancy because it'll pop with him helping TV during the fight with Jillian/Charlie.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Charlescomm signamancy from his tainting of the popping. Basically Pigpen with bats instead of dust.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Charlescomm signamancy from his tainting of the popping. Basically Pigpen with bats instead of dust.

Vanna doesn't have Charlescomm Signamancy herself since she's a freelancer, so I don't think she'll pass it on to the heir.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Man there are so many people on the official forums desperate to believe that the Bracer HAS to be lying

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Onmi posted:

Man there are so many people on the official forums desperate to believe that the Bracer HAS to be lying

And if she doesn't attack they'll claim they were right, because 61% means "guaranteed,"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

To be fair we've had zero hints in the comic that Charlie has any plans to take Parson back by force or otherwise attack Transylvito. All that he has done so far has been aimed at performing a turning or maybe a kidnapping with Vanna's help; he may have figured out that her cover is blown after the dinner, but even if he has, his plan B is as yet unknown.

If the 61% figure is correct, that is both new and surprising information to us readers. And Caesar's guess would be mostly luck, since a lot of his reasoning comes from Parson's disinformation and from assuming that Vanna's target is Transylvito itself (rather than Parson).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, I mean, the 61% figure can't be correct, because Jillian didn't get up today thinking "well, maybe I'll attack Transylvito, and maybe I'll attack Gobwin Knob." If the bracer was using a priori cosmic knowledge, the figure would be either 1 or 0. It has to be basing its prediction on some other body of knowledge that's less than "all of it", whether that's what Transylvito knows or what Parson knows or whatever.