Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

4001 AD Shadowman is the first Shadowman book (outside of the Ninjak arc) that I've really loved. I think this should just be the Shadowman going forward. I'm gonna be sad when 4001 AD ends and this version goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

X-O posted:

4001 AD Shadowman is the first Shadowman book (outside of the Ninjak arc) that I've really loved. I think this should just be the Shadowman going forward. I'm gonna be sad when 4001 AD ends and this version goes away.

I don't think it is going anywhere. There are too many loose ends in the new Shadowman for them to leave them dangling forever. My guess is that Rai, the 4001AD Bloodshot, warmother, Rai, Shadowman and maybe another Rai character are going to form a team book. Maybe theyll fight the antagonist in the Shadowman book.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I concur with 4001 A.D. Shadowman being one of the best iterations of the character.

The only semi-disappointing issue of 4001 A.D. this summer has been the Bloodshot tie-in, and even that had a cool road trip sequence. Valiant's putting Rebirth and Civil War II to shame over in their corner of the comics market.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

When's the Acclaim version of Shadowman coming back?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Valiant is putting Marvel and DC to shame when it comes to Harvey nominations as well. And Dark Horse, Image, Boom and IDW... combined.

Over twice the nominations from last year. Some categories they have five out of six nominations. We know they tend to skew above average when paying their talent, so that combined with having really good books means lots of Harvey nominations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rusty Kettle posted:

Valiant is putting Marvel and DC to shame when it comes to Harvey nominations as well. And Dark Horse, Image, Boom and IDW... combined.

Over twice the nominations from last year. Some categories they have five out of six nominations. We know they tend to skew above average when paying their talent, so that combined with having really good books means lots of Harvey nominations.

Harvey nominations are meaningless.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Endless Mike posted:

Harvey nominations are meaningless.

I haven't heard this. Other than the various reasons all awards are meaningless, what is up with the Harveys? The nominations and votes are cast by writers, artists, etc, so it very well could just be a popularity contest in how a publisher treats their talent, and not be based on the actual work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The short version is that virtually anyone associated with a comic company is able to submit nominations, so the companies "encourage" their workers to nominate their books, and for sake of fairness there's little to no editing done by the Harvey committee after the fact, instead just picking whatever garnered the most nominations.

This is how NASCAR Heroes #5 ends up on the "Best Single Issue" list or Chip Zdarsky ends up winning the Special Award for Humor for Sex Criminals without Matt Fraction (where he was up against James Asmus, Fred Van Lente, and James Asmus & Fred Van Lente from Valiant, incidentally).

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Endless Mike posted:

The short version is that virtually anyone associated with a comic company is able to submit nominations, so the companies "encourage" their workers to nominate their books, and for sake of fairness there's little to no editing done by the Harvey committee after the fact, instead just picking whatever garnered the most nominations.

This is how NASCAR Heroes #5 ends up on the "Best Single Issue" list or Chip Zdarsky ends up winning the Special Award for Humor for Sex Criminals without Matt Fraction (where he was up against James Asmus, Fred Van Lente, and James Asmus & Fred Van Lente from Valiant, incidentally).

Makes sense. Though for all I know NASCAR heroes could be good. :911:

It is interesting that the bigger guys, who employ more talent, don't make a harder push. Why wouldn't Image rally their talent more?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Because the Harvey Awards mean nothing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Because the Harvey Awards mean nothing.
This, but as far as Image goes, they're strictly a publisher and the creators own the work. There's no incentive for, say, Matt Fraction to nominate, I dunno, Jonathan Hickman's East of West, and their in-house staff is fairly small.

Marvel and DC probably just don't really care enough because Harvey Awards mean nothing.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
That's a shame. Too bad it's the best comics has at the moment as far as a sticker that proves that the product is good. When i convinced a co-worker to try Valiant, he requested "whichever one won the most awards". I gave him Divinity.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 7, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rusty Kettle posted:

That's a shame. Too bad it's the best comics has at the moment as far as a sticker that proves that the product is good. When i convinced a co-worker to try Valiant, he requested "whichever one won the most awards". I gave him Divinity.

Look for this quality seal:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
That's a good sticker.

There are no good Valiant podcasts, despite there being lots to talk about. The only one I like is VCR, but that is only because of the Canadian. They are all just recorded Skype conversations. They don't use cameras so there is lots of pauses where people are afraid to talk over each other. It makes me really appreciate podcasts that use a camera. It is important to signal that you have something to say, that you are done talking and need your cohosts to step in or that your partner needs to wrap it up. There is minimal editing, no format, and off topic rant fests by old angry men. Awful sound quality because no one has a decent mic and records their own tracks. Everyone sounds either angry or bored. I thought board game podcasts were bad, but this is something else.

If I could find some folks who have their own decent mics and read (or want to read) Valiant, I would start my own drat podcast. I don't know if I have any sort of charisma, but at least I'd get the technical parts right.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Kettle posted:

That's a good sticker.

There are no good Valiant podcasts, despite there being lots to talk about. The only one I like is VCR, but that is only because of the Canadian. They are all just recorded Skype conversations. They don't use cameras so there is lots of pauses where people are afraid to talk over each other. It makes me really appreciate podcasts that use a camera. It is important to signal that you have something to say, that you are done talking and need your cohosts to step in or that your partner needs to wrap it up. There is minimal editing, no format, and off topic rant fests by old angry men. Awful sound quality because no one has a decent mic and records their own tracks. Everyone sounds either angry or bored. I thought board game podcasts were bad, but this is something else.

If I could find some folks who have their own decent mics and read (or want to read) Valiant, I would start my own drat podcast. I don't know if I have any sort of charisma, but at least I'd get the technical parts right.

I own a microphone!

And I read... Ninjak and Bloodshot!

That's gotta count for something, right?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm just getting started reading Valiant so you could count on at least one receptive audience member for such a podcast.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

LordPants posted:

I own a microphone!

And I read... Ninjak and Bloodshot!

That's gotta count for something, right?

Spitballing a format, I am thinking it would be something akin to Gilmore Guys (I know I know) where there is a host or two who are big fans who have read everything, and one (or two) absolute newcomers to Valiant. The company prides itself on how each arc is totally accessible to newcomers, so the new person can test that. Hopefully they like it.

Each week, we review the week's books and one (or two) older books, starting at whatever book we feel is best for folks new to Valiant. It'll be hard at first, but we'll discuss the books only in the context of the books we covered previously to not spoil anything for the newcomer. Over time, we'll work our way through the tapestry.

I like this format because hopefully, if it is good, it is something people will point to when people ask 'Where do I start with Valiant?'

In the meantime, I'll contact Valiant to see how easy it would be to get review copies of books. If those other people can do it, why not us?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo the art on 4001 AD War Mother is gorgeous. I've never heard of Tomas Giorello before but this art with Fred Van Lente writing is a must buy.

More here
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/4001-ad-war-mother-1-valiant-entertainment-2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Is it bad that I have basically given up reading all comics except for Valiant?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

X-O posted:

Holy poo poo the art on 4001 AD War Mother is gorgeous. I've never heard of Tomas Giorello before but this art with Fred Van Lente writing is a must buy.

More here
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/4001-ad-war-mother-1-valiant-entertainment-2016

This looks fantastic, I'm excited.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

bobkatt013 posted:

Is it bad that I have basically given up reading all comics except for Valiant?

Seems like a common thing. Personally, I cannot give up my selection of Image series.

I don't like the new A&A. Right now, that is the only weak Valiant book on the shelf IMO.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh man, I hope that's not a red herring at the end of Bloodshot Reborn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Diamond shorted me all our copies.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Diamond shorted me all our copies.

Well, if you didn't get to read it and want to know It seems as if Deathmate is actually Kay McHenry, the former Geomancer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Well, if you didn't get to read it and want to know It seems as if Deathmate is actually Kay McHenry, the former Geomancer.

YES. :fistpump:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Kettle posted:

Spitballing a format, I am thinking it would be something akin to Gilmore Guys (I know I know) where there is a host or two who are big fans who have read everything, and one (or two) absolute newcomers to Valiant. The company prides itself on how each arc is totally accessible to newcomers, so the new person can test that. Hopefully they like it.

Each week, we review the week's books and one (or two) older books, starting at whatever book we feel is best for folks new to Valiant. It'll be hard at first, but we'll discuss the books only in the context of the books we covered previously to not spoil anything for the newcomer. Over time, we'll work our way through the tapestry.

I like this format because hopefully, if it is good, it is something people will point to when people ask 'Where do I start with Valiant?'

In the meantime, I'll contact Valiant to see how easy it would be to get review copies of books. If those other people can do it, why not us?

I would 100% listen to this podcast.

X-O posted:

:staredog:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I recently got into these comics but still mostly stick to their collections to save money and since the hardcovers are really nice.

But I am starting to get Eternal Warrior monthly and this issue was badass.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Eternal Warrior can take its sweet drat time when the art/colors are that pretty.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

LordPants posted:

I would 100% listen to this podcast.

The two big challenges are finding cohosts who meet the criteria and getting Valiant to send review issues. I have you for one of the pros, and an email out to Valiant. We'll see how it shakes out.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

A&A #5 was so cute :3:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Valiant collections sale on Comixology

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah i am getting divinity and what imperium I dont have.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh man, War Mother was fantastic. I've missed you Van Lente. I'm hoping to see much more of this character.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Agreed on War Mother, Valiant's kicked off an excellent new character/series to fill the gap between Divinity II and III.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Space Fish posted:

Agreed on War Mother, Valiant's kicked off an excellent new character/series to fill the gap between Divinity II and III.

I don't think it's a series. I'm pretty sure it's just a one shot for 4001.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
They left enough dangling threads that I would be surprised if Shadow-woman, Warmother, and Bloodshot's nanites don't get together at some point and fight future evil.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

X-O posted:

I don't think it's a series. I'm pretty sure it's just a one shot for 4001.

Ah! I mistook it for a fresh #1 and not a tie-in. My bad.
Valiant seems to like teasing War Mother's continued involvement in some forthcoming futuristic series, so I'll look forward to that whenever it's out.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hot tip: I got to read an uncolored copy of Generation Zero #1 and it's pretty great. The psiots are back in style!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Space Fish posted:

Hot tip: I got to read an uncolored copy of Generation Zero #1 and it's pretty great. The psiots are back in style!
Cool! Hyped for that book. New Eternal Warrior was interesting. I'm interested to find out what is up with his kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

4001 A.D. ends this week, ahhhh!
Satisfying event so far, I just hope Valiant can stick the landing.