Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Panera bread and son of Forsberg could be an interesting combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Panarin over *similar player who didn't play with the Art Ross winner all season long* is a curious choice and also a bad one.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I can't decide if I dislike the Gostisbehere or Panarin pick more.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Pfft Panarin has been carrying Kane's rear end all year.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh good I didnt miss my pick because of tornado sirens and power outages and some idiot trying to drive through the barrier northbound on the 400 on a Friday stopping traffic for kilometers. :suicide:

Also its too early for Panarin. I like the guy, he is very good, but also not a real rookie and what you see is probably what youre going to get with little to no room for improvement.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Hmmm. let's see here..

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Ryan Johansen

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Otis Reddit posted:

Ryan Johansen

Cool stuff, I really like this player... that was actually the player I was considering along to Panarin. I guess I would have gotten yelled at less had I chosen him.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Johansen is a much better choice than Panarin, yes

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

boomer the cannon's up

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Give me Shea Weber to go with Kaner

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Otis Reddit posted:

Ryan Johansen

Considered him but everyone is taking all the drat defense

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Otis Reddit posted:

Ryan Johansen

GUH. I've been foiled.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Toronto takes Ryan O'Reilly.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

the talent deficit posted:

oh i gotta pick again, john klingberg

josi and klingberg, combined, almost equal a karlsson

jordan7hm is up

Hey, gently caress you. You smart POS.

I love me some gotishere but maaaaaaan that would be the worst pick so far if pandarum hadn't gone right after.

E:

the talent deficit posted:

faulk is prob better than klingberg but i took faulk two years ago (in like the fifth round)

Lol, look how wrong this guys is.

E2: wait, what?

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 9, 2016

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Alright, I'm going to be out all day, who can I PM a list to?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Look, I know I'm 5 minutes early annoucning my pick but there's a brand new hot dog cart opening up on thurmond street and I just gotta be there with my man Phil "The Thrill" Kessel

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Good luck with that locker room. :rolleyes:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm so glad Sean Monahan made his way to me. He's a big young center who scored 60 points the last two seasons. He's an all-around player. He can score, he can set folks up. He's young and he'll only get better.

Mentholmoose is up.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Sure, I'll take another 70 point center. Nicklas Backstrom

e: On my phone, can somebody else update the sheet?

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 9, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Got it for you, and Aye Doc is up.

Also I like this pick in conjunction with Seguin. He was just too old for me to build around or I would have gone with him since he's used to playing with Russian snipers.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I'm stuck at work so I can't do the sheet, Florida takes Matt Duchene

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mentholmoose posted:

Sure, I'll take another 70 point center. Nicklas Backstrom

e: On my phone, can somebody else update the sheet?

he was the other dude I was thinking about

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm so glad Sean Monahan made his way to me. He's a big young center who scored 60 points the last two seasons. He's an all-around player. He can score, he can set folks up. He's young and he'll only get better.

Mentholmoose is up.

He's actually pretty one dimensional (so far). People talk about his game like he's Bergeron but he's been poor defensively and his offense didn't take off until he started playing with Gaudreau. He's good, but he's not as good as people think he is.

quote:

Monahan was one of the most sheltered players on the Flames in terms of zone starts, but his job is to score, and score he did, so that's fine. He also faced off against top competition on other teams, and still had his second 60-point season in a row, so there are no worries here.

The real worry to be found is how he played nearly identical circumstances to Gaudreau, and how much weaker his corsi is. Monahan's 5v5 CF of 48.10% was 12th on the Flames. For context, Gaudreau's was 49.55% - nearly breaking even - and Joe Colborne, ahead of Monahan but with significantly weaker zone starts, was 48.12%.

That's some cause for concern: while Colborne can't necessarily be expected to replicate his season offensively, and he definitely doesn't have the offensive talent Monahan does, the fact that he can post roughly the same corsi stats despite being used in a much more defensive role - even if he did have the Backlund Bump - does point to some questions around Monahan.

The other concern? Despite being heralded as an excellent two-way player coming out of juniors, Monahan has yet to show that particular talent in the NHL. This is where it will be extremely interesting to see how his new coach, whoever he may end up being, uses him - and how well Monahan responds. If better coaching sees him play a stronger two-way game, great; if that's not who Monahan is, then that's fine, too, because he's still a big 60+ point centre.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 9, 2016

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I was really shocked Backstrom fell that far, it got to the point where I legitimately thought he was gonna make it back to me and that freaked me out

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Menamino posted:

I was really shocked Backstrom fell that far, it got to the point where I legitimately thought he was gonna make it back to me and that freaked me out

I thought about taking him but I liked Kuznetsov more since he's younger. Backstrom is damned good though. He's one of the best powerplay qbs in the league.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Say who is next ya jerks! :argh:

Calgary's annual barn brawl came and went and this years winner gets a contract with the Flames. And today I would like to announce that winner, Duncan "Elbows" Keith. Welcome aboard!

Look, he is not the nicest guy. He has been suspended for some pretty lovely things. But he is a loving monster of a defenseman with the stats to prove it, and he carried Chicago to the cup in 2015. He's not the biggest guy and he definitely isnt young anymore, but it really hasnt had much of an impact on his play, and he remains pretty drat healthy year in and out despite the abuse he takes. Great offensively and defensively and one of the best guys I can think of to mentor a young player like Ekblad.

Youre up tofes!

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 9, 2016

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
We select Nathan MacKinnon, can't believe he fell this far

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

a lot of good picks recently, all guys that I had in mind for this round.

I like a few guys a lot here and just like Tavares/Seguin in round 1 I'm equally torn between 2 similar players this round. I'm gonna go with the younger guy on the ELC so I can overspend like crazy later on and take Nikita Kucherov here.

JoelJoel is up

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gimme Mark Stone.

Underrated winger. He's quick, he scores, he makes everyone around him better. He's signed to a nice 3.5 bridge deal and has an RFA contact let at the end. His shooting percentage was a bit high last year (hovering around 15) but his regulars and fancies back up that he's no fluke player.

Have a chart:

He also leads the league in young guys that came into the league looking like a frumpy middle aged man.

Smarts:

Release:

Resiliency:

Gooniness:

Acting:

He's the full package.

okay, maybe not thaaaat smart

E: Yaya is up next

Dandy Kaiser
Infidel Castro
i am the bird

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 9, 2016

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Really debated between Keith and Weber for my last pick. Keith has more accolades but I think we can all agree so would Shea Weber if he were on the Chicago dynasty all that time instead of Keith.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Paulocaust posted:

Really debated between Keith and Weber for my last pick. Keith has more accolades but I think we can all agree so would Shea Weber if he were on the Chicago dynasty all that time instead of Keith.

Wont lie, it was between Keith and Weber for me as well so you picking one made my choice easier. :v:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Monahan, Backstrom, Duchene, and Mackinnon were the 4 players I was eyeballing so I am extremely upset right now

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh, christ, all the centers are gone. :catstare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Kv4rBJi68

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
In need of a number 1 centre, as well as a veteran presence in the locker room, the Edmonton Oilers take Jumbo Joe Thornton

37 years young, but a hall of famer and still one of the best in the game when it comes to playmaking and possession.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yaya posted:

Monahan, Backstrom, Duchene, and Mackinnon were the 4 players I was eyeballing so I am extremely upset right now

Them is good picks. Man Duchene's possession/defensive stats are lousy though. He was a sure first round pick the last few drafts. And Kucherov is the guy who should have gone before Panarin.

Paulocaust posted:

Yeah and he would still be declining while on a godawful contract now.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
In a effort to

a) be as young and cheap as possible while still being relatively "win now"
b) fulfill my homer lust by getting one of the two good players on my favorite team
c) piss off VJeff

The San Jose Sharks Sharks Sharks are pleased to make a bit of a reach, and await one of the few players we are hopeful will fall past the turn, to select Dylan Larkin

suck it

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

At work so phone pick, Philadelphia selects defenceman Tyson Barrie.

i am the bird is up

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 9, 2016

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
So the twist is at the end of the draft a Las Vegas owner shows up and we do a mock Expansion draft, yeah?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dandy Kaiser posted:

In a effort to

a) be as young and cheap as possible while still being relatively "win now"
b) fulfill my homer lust by getting one of the two good players on my favorite team
c) piss off VJeff

The San Jose Sharks Sharks Sharks are pleased to make a bit of a reach, and await one of the few players we are hopeful will fall past the turn, to select Dylan Larkin

suck it

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

T-Bone posted:

he was the other dude I was thinking about

He's actually pretty one dimensional (so far). People talk about his game like he's Bergeron but he's been poor defensively and his offense didn't take off until he started playing with Gaudreau. He's good, but he's not as good as people think he is.

Thats why I didn't take him. ROR was more of a two-way player, albeit by necessity.

Plus, you can't avoid the truculence that comes from a man who singlehandedly tried to wipe Lucan off the map.

• Locked thread