Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just hit level 5. Does it matter which team I join?

If you'e a dumb fucktard, you pick blue or yellow. If you're smart, awesome, and cool you join red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just hit level 5. Does it matter which team I join?

If you have friends playing nearby, you might want to pick the same team as them so you can team up and reinforce gyms together. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter, no.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

is it better to lvl up my named pokemon (bulbasaur) or just stick to whomever has the highest cp?

like it doesn't feel right to lvl up a clefairy.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Nill posted:

Ingress, Niantic's other game.
There's a Web based map (and map apps too) but you need to install the game and make an account to access them. The relation isn't exactly 1:1 though that area will still have a ton of stops and gyms since both games use the same location data.

Thanks, I was planning on going into town tomorrow for a walk and I hadn't seen what kind of spots were around since I haven't had it on while driving. Looks like there are a decent number and most of it should have sidewalks available.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

FizFashizzle posted:

is it better to lvl up my named pokemon (bulbasaur) or just stick to whomever has the highest cp?

like it doesn't feel right to lvl up a clefairy.

How would you possibly level up a bulbasaur I haven't seen a single starter pokemon silhouette since the game came out. How would you possibly get the candies to feed it?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Krinkle posted:

How would you possibly level up a bulbasaur I haven't seen a single starter pokemon silhouette since the game came out. How would you possibly get the candies to feed it?

I've found a few Bulbasaurs in the park behind my work building. It's dark green on the map, so maybe that means more grass types?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Heh, after all the trouble of trying to get logged in over the past 2 days the servers are now happily letting me log in on 2 devices. At the same time, with one account.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Krinkle posted:

You can find the starters in the wild, and they don't seem all that rare. I've probably caught 3 or 4 Squirtles.
You can also hatch them from 5km eggs, and they come with 15 candy if you do it that way.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So i've realized that I can't keep up with the tryhards, I went for a good walk this afternoon with the family, grabbings like 10 pokestops, at least a dozen pokemon, including a few more venonats and an ekans. I also took over a gym and bolstered an existing red gym and got 1km towards my egg. When I got home, my first gym was yellow, and the gym i bolstered was taken by yellow as was a blue gym nearby, two of those gyms are covered by a 666cp golbat and a 1106cp vaporeon. I barely have 2 pokemon over 200cp, this is insane.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Gyms are really vulnerable in general. Even if you get ten friends and level that poo poo up a trio of decent players can take you down. It makes for awesome interaction - you can't just sit on your laurels.

Don't worry, you'll catch up to the 1000-cp monsters pretty quickly if you play.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Hope the servers calm down soon... I figured I'd try to hatch eggs on my runs by keeping the app open, but 20 km later I've still only logged ~3 km because I can't keep a connection. I've only been able to get on for like two 20 minute periods over the last two days, except late at night when I'm doing nothing but spinning a pokestop.

The upside is that I live in a city with like four pokestops per block, one in my apartment building and one that is literally where I work.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zurui posted:

Gyms are really vulnerable in general. Even if you get ten friends and level that poo poo up a trio of decent players can take you down. It makes for awesome interaction - you can't just sit on your laurels.

Don't worry, you'll catch up to the 1000-cp monsters pretty quickly if you play.

The only real defense that Gyms have is that taking down a bunch of high level Pokémon is a pyrrhic victory. Blowing six revives for the chance to take down a power level can be a bit rough for people without tons of stops nearby

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lame Devil posted:

It looks like there are 5 poke stops and a gym all in range of each other at the Metropolitan. Going to check it out today.

Also Golduck is a monster.

Edit: spent about an hour this morning tracking down a Seadra in Central Park. Never found it but picked up another dratini and an electabuzz in the process.

Yeah, the most dense space I have seen was at the Bergen F/G stop by Smith St. I just walked ~14km and ubered back, caught over 100 mons on the walk and then hit a good 30 stops on the ride home. Went from level 8 1/2 to just breaking 15. Fun fact: if you have a full backpack and you level up, the reward items will not be lost and you will just have 479/450 showing on your inventory. Found two separate brunch places where there were two Pokestops overlapping and both were Lured, took a breather and enjoyed one for 15 minutes and the other for the full 30. Almost ran out of Pokeballs. Tons of people out and about, gyms don't last long at all. Haven't had a chance to explore Prospect Park yet, but NYC has some really dense spots. What I'm trying to say is, I'm coming for you mother fucker.

e; After Transferring a bunch, I have a few evolved mons in the 700-900 range and about 30,000 stardust.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 9, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, this isn't 100% conclusive yet but I'm pretty sure what other people were saying about Pokemon spawning points being static and mapping to XM in Ingress is true. Someone mentioned the set spawns in the Discord, which made me think of someone else having made the XM claim, and also how every Pokemon I've caught out on the ranch has always been at this one point in my house while every other thing has always been three steps away I couldn't get closer to. When I tried Ingress for a few minutes while waiting for Go to become available, I discovered that there wasn't much XM out here, with two spots visible from my house that I definitely haven't yet gotten within three steps of when searching for Pokemon out here because they're pretty far away, with some more XM not visible from my house beyond one of them (haven't gone to explore the other one because reasons).

I turned on Ingress just in case, and I immediately got some XM, sitting in exactly the same place I always get Pokemon out here. I'm going to go see if more Pokemon spawn points map to the other XM points out here, but I think this is a pretty good sign that this is the case. The spawns are definitely static at least; there's a good picture showing the same location multiple times with different Pokemon in the exact same spots that was posted.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

there's a guy named "HumbleChaos" who keeps taking gyms near my work and home. he's yellow scum and tryhard. ive decided he is my rival and must be taught red supremacy.

also it turns out eevee evolutions aren't random?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
So I just flat out caught a Blastoise. I didn't know that was even possible. Crazy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

So I just flat out caught a Blastoise. I didn't know that was even possible. Crazy.

What level are you?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I caught a krabby while i was on the loo 😬

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Nephzinho posted:

What level are you?

caught it at 6, it had I think 390 starting CP

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
If anyone is curious about incense, it does work if you're static and don't get dropped from the server. I was averaging one every five minutes or so, and where I was never normally has spawns. I got 6 regular spawns, and one Pidgeotto which I was not able to capture. I'm level eight for reference.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Btw, the "nice", "Great" and "Excellent" throws only seem to be for hitting the middle of the circle when throwing a pokeball. Dunno if it has any effect on catch rate.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do some areas just never have any Pokemon? We have a few stops and a gym but nothing ever shows up in the nearby tab.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
Take over the rich people mall in town. Leave a Raticate named The 99%.

Also go Team Yellow unless you're a pussy.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Whats all this about teams. what

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Jimmithy posted:

I caught a krabby while i was on the loo 😬

I caught a squirtle while dookin' earlier. Then I went to the mall and caught like 4 eevees while doing errands to get ready for a move. :hellyeah:

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do some areas just never have any Pokemon? We have a few stops and a gym but nothing ever shows up in the nearby tab.

I'm definitely finding dead zones. I know I'm not dropped from the server, there are just some places that don't seem to have any. at the stages I'm currently working at, there's only one spawn point in the corner, and it rarely seems to spawn. same thing with Ingress, just nothing for four city blocks, even though I'm squared in by for pokestops and two gyms.

meanwhile at my house I seem to find something fairly often.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
I love this game. No matter how lovely the combat mechanics are, nothing beats the feeling of taking the metaphorical candy away from real children. I live in a suburban area that actually has quite a few gyms and pokestops; the kids here are having a red vs blue turf war and I just took over every gym in a 7 mile radius in the name of Yellow. I'm not going to lie though, it felt weird to be a grown adult man standing on the pitchers mound of a little league field battling pokeymans at 5 in the morning.

I got this game working about 12 hours ago. Including my night's sleep, I've already walked 15 miles I otherwise wouldn't and I'm level 10. Oh, and I caught a Koffing at the weed store.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 9, 2016

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Thinking of downloading this and embarking on it with my best friend, but both of the rear-facing cameras on our phones blow. Hers is broken, leaving only the selfie cam, and mine has a really terrible purple haze in anything less than perfect lighting. This gonna preclude us from playing?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Third day in a row the game works ok when I'm home but the second I reach somewhere with a ton of poke stops the servers poo poo themselves and I get kicked out.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

zorch posted:

Five gyms attacked, five 1hp bugs. My local gym is owned by a dude that's level 17 already. This game :negative:

It's astounding how fast some people are leveling/building up their teams in my lovely small town with the server issues and poo poo.

They have to be spending a bunch of $$$ to incense and lure nonstop or know some kind of secret tech.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Eikre posted:

Thinking of downloading this and embarking on it with my best friend, but both of the rear-facing cameras on our phones blow. Hers is broken, leaving only the selfie cam, and mine has a really terrible purple haze in anything less than perfect lighting. This gonna preclude us from playing?

Nah, you can just switch the camera view off.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's astounding how fast some people are leveling/building up their teams in my lovely small town with the server issues and poo poo.

They have to be spending a bunch of $$$ to incense and lure nonstop or know some kind of secret tech.
Lucky Eggs

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Eikre posted:

nah, the AR mode is just a gimmick. it's helpful for catching flying pokemon but that's about it. i've exclusively played this game in the pitch black middle of the night so far where none of the camera things work, and i don't feel like i'm missing out on anything except silly screen caps.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

you don't even really need lures/incense. just find an area that consistently spawns the same type of pokemon, preferably something which evolves without too many candies like weedles or ratattas, and walk around a bunch. speed-level yourself off of the 500xp evolution bonus until you're level 10-15 and pokemon will start spawning with much higher CP.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 9, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

anything except silly screen caps.

This is like 75% of the reason to play.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Eikre posted:

no, you can turn AR off

op updated with starter guide posted a few pages ago

Weepinbell and Gloom both require 100 candies to evolve so if you see an oddish or bellsprout better catch them

Also, CBus goons hop in discord and check out city chat!

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Jackard posted:

Whats all this about teams. what

You join a team when you hit level 5. More info in the OP.

Eikre posted:

Camera's not necessary for anything. Just toggle AR off and you're fine. e:fb.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The first time I actually go to a pokestop I can't connect to the servers

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Guess I'm going to be visiting the Air Force Museum today...

drat. I'm riding my bike in the wrong direction.

I tried to catch something when i took the dog for a walk earlier, but I am not walking through people's yards like a weirdo.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
The servers managed to hold up for a couple of hours later than usual. I guess that's progress.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
My area is lousy with drowzee!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
PSA from reddit. Save your lucky egg that you get from lvl 9 and stockpile a ton of candies. Then pop the lucky egg and evolve as many pokes as you can to get a metric crap ton of xp.

fake edit: supposedly this works great with pidgys since they only need 12 candies each to evolve.

• Locked thread