Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Superman books are going 90s as gently caress, though (not exactly a criticism, as I'm loving Superman, the title) what with Doomsday and the Eradicator being the first stories' villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rhyno posted:

The Lois & Cark parts of JLR #1 were really good, so were the scenes of the League discussing Superman. The rest was pretty much recycled alien invader story but I dug it.

I'm excited to see how they handle the Bruce and Clark relationship.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Doomsday was incredible in his original appearance but he should never have showed up again. He's just constantly getting worfed, over and over again. Even if you don't like Doomsday, which I'm aware a lot of people don't, it's so cheap and lazy to use him as a shorthand for "woaaah this is bad!".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Losing is literally Doomsday's power.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hal Jordan GLC Rebirth #1 preview http://www.newsarama.com/30022-sinestro-corps-take-over-sector-zero-in-hal-jordan-green-lantern-corps-rebirth-1-preview.html

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When are they going to bring back Superman's greatest foe, Subjekt 17?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay just to make sure we know that we're in asia have the fat guy eating noodles, throw a panda in there and make everyone squint.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

The Superman books are going 90s as gently caress, though (not exactly a criticism, as I'm loving Superman, the title) what with Doomsday and the Eradicator being the first stories' villains.

Don't forget Lois & Clark reintroduced Hal's best pal Hank Henshaw (and then the series ended with the only plot line resolved being Intergang).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

Okay just to make sure we know that we're in asia have the fat guy eating noodles, throw a panda in there and make everyone squint.

The book is written by a Chinese guy.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

When living in China, these were both things I saw.

What's your point?

Norns fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 9, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Norns posted:

When living in China, these were both things I saw.

What's your point?

those people weren't squinting you racist

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Maybe it was really sunny?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I probably should have highlighted the panda and noodle parts of his comment. To be clear.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Alaois posted:

those people weren't squinting you racist

He was in the French Stewart district.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I refuse to read "What if Superman was a oval office" on GP.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

WickedHate posted:

The book is written by a Chinese guy.

I will maybe give the book the benefit of the doubt, but covering the book with stereotypes automatically makes me feel like it is racist. It would be like if Ms. Marvel number 1 had her in a burqa and holding a Qur'an so everyone knew 100% this is Muslim hero, hello, beep boop.

DC does not inspire confidence in me,when it comes to not being racist, since their Muslim superhero was introduced... with a plotline about being a terrorist and stuff.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Show of hands, people here who've actually been to China? *raises*

Please step outside the internet for a couple hours if a tiny billboard of a panda and a bowl of noodle is what's bringing down the hammer of your outrage in regards to Chinese representation.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

DC does not inspire confidence in me,when it comes to not being racist, since their Muslim superhero was introduced... with a plotline about being a terrorist and stuff.

We're talking Simon Baz, right? Because the plotline (and that's loving generous considering it played out in all of a single issue) was about him being falsely accused of being a terrorist because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is made incredibly clear that he is not a terrorist at all, just a guy who stole cars to make ends meet after the recession.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Didn't the Simon Baz plot have him knowingly drive a car around with a bomb in it or some poo poo? It was brought up in GLs 1 and made me roll my eyes out of my head from how poorly it was handled.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

KittyEmpress posted:

I will maybe give the book the benefit of the doubt, but covering the book with stereotypes automatically makes me feel like it is racist. It would be like if Ms. Marvel number 1 had her in a burqa and holding a Qur'an so everyone knew 100% this is Muslim hero, hello, beep boop.

The book is literally about Chinese Superman in China. China and Chinese culture and general things about China should be emphasized on the first issue's cover. It's not any different than having an American flag on Justice League of America's cover or something. This isn't Dust of the New X-Men here.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 10, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

knowingly drive a car around with a bomb in it or some poo poo?

He stole a car with a ticking bomb in it and drove it to an abandoned building when he found out.

That origin issue (GL #0) was a lot better than the Rebirth one.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 9, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

greatn posted:

He was in the French Stewart district.

WHO WOULD EVER WANT TO LIVE THERE

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Didn't the Simon Baz plot have him knowingly drive a car around with a bomb in it or some poo poo?

No he did it unknowingly. He was just a car thief who had the shittiest luck in the world and happened to steal a van rigged to blow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is like complaining that a Spider-Man cover has Times Square and someone eating a slice of pizza.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That would also be dumb and kind of weird yeah.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Can I say that I suck and am excited for this weeks comics already?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Show of hands, people here who've actually been to China? *raises*

Hi I'm chinese. I dont know how familiar you'd be with this crap but hey, noodles, chopsticks, a panda, squinty faces, thats all a bunch of idiot shorthand for 'hey we're in asia now' when anyone's low on ideas and it's not exactly encouraging sign. Yes they actually do have associations with asian culture but if those are the first things you're grabbing at when you want your readers to know 'we're in the East!' that's pretty lazy and lovely.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I can't believe this is seriously a conversation I'm going to have but here we go I guess.

Everyone in China uses chopsticks. Literally everyone. Not all the time and not for everything, but enough times and for enough things. That's the culture. It's not some sketchy stereotype, it's not some racist portrayal, it's a legit social difference between China and America. Saying that a guy eating noodles with chopsticks is "idiot shorthand" for depicting China is PC nonsense. They're depicting China. The end.

Of course they didn't have to quote-unquote "depict China." They didn't have to put any Chinese-associated objects on the cover at all, they could have made it the most culturally-indeterminate-looking cover in the world. Maybe have the guy standing on some gray-looking buildings, call it a day, and that would've been fine. But they didn't want that, they wanted to show that this guy was operating in China because that's the literal plot of the book. So they did.

Someone compared this to a Ms. Marvel cover, but if you actually look inside an issue of Ms. Marvel you could see that it is filled with culturally-heavy imagery, dialogue, and story points. Even some things that might, on a surface level, be considered stereotypical. In no way, shape, or form, does that book shy away from portraying Kamala's cultural influences and backdrop -- not just Muslim Pakistani, but New Jersey as well -- so to act like it's some sort of race-free comic series, much less that it's somehow "doing it right" by bringing up race as little as possible, is incredibly disingenuous not to mention inaccurate.

I'm not completely sold on Yang yet. There are some things he's mentioned that make me a little concerned about this book. But the idea that he's going to acknowledge or even highlight cultural aspects of China is not one of them, especially not ones as innocuous as cartoon pandas and chopsticks.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Itt: a white guy tells an Asian guy how his culture works.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Itt: people think everything is racist and offensive

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Norns posted:

Itt: people think everything is racist and offensive

those people still weren't squinting

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If your argument to a minority is "shut up you don't get it you're being too PC", especially in response to a statement of how the imagery of something feels offensive/stereotypical to that minority's culture, especially if you're white, the minority isn't the one being an rear end in a top hat in that exchange.

Especially when it regards a company that has a mixed-at-best track record with minority representation and has been in a bunch of poo poo for erasure very recently. DC deserves very little to no slack in this regard, especially in direct comparison to Marvel.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A guy eating noodles with chopsticks isn't a stereotype, Jesus. It's just like how every comic in America has a guy in the background eating a hamburger with a fork.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do people in China walk around on the street eating noodles out of a bowl?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just know Korean guys spit in urinals.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Well the guy isn't walking. But yes I've seen people eating noodles on the street many times. Street food is pretty loving popular.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Itt: a white guy tells an Asian guy how his culture works.
I'm Chinese, buddy.

Edit: to be clear, I'm not ragging on Toxx here since what he describes here is a legit lovely thing that's happened to me before as well. But, just to recap the score so far, we got a Chinese guy criticizing a Chinese guy for his comic about China and a third Chinese guy (that we know of!) saying it's not that bad

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 10, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

lol that's perfect

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So how exactly are you meant to depict China without being offensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

coolie hats everywhere