Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

SilverSupernova posted:

The first couple minutes of that Powerpuff Girls/Teen Titans Go crossover was leaked earlier. Going to say, I was plesantly surprised with how well the TTG writers handled the PPG stuff. They actually have Mojo talking in extreme redundancies again so that's a huge step up from the new PPG show's writers.

You cannot be serious. The serious you are implying cannot clearly be serious enough, or else I would believe it. And that is not happening here, let me tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The TTG guys did write Brave And The Bold so it's not as if they're incapable of writing well.

They just don't care to.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Crabtree posted:

You cannot be serious. The serious you are implying cannot clearly be serious enough, or else I would believe it. And that is not happening here, let me tell you.

I loved the OG Powerpuff Girls episode where Bubbles gets amnesia and starts thinking that she's Mojo Jojo, only for her redundancies to get so infuriating Mojo chumps her by hitting her from behind after yelling "OOoohhhh, Shuuut uuuuupppp!"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIS-6mxJh5w

Just a shame I can't find the clip of Mojo telling her to shut up. The delivery is hilarious.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 2, 2016

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I used to love when they would just take his speaking habits and run with it as far as they could. Like with this commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfQIwIy7_bU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I liked when he taught an ESL class and got the whole town talking like him.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

SilverSupernova posted:

They actually have Mojo talking in extreme redundancies again so that's a huge step up from the new PPG show's writers.

I looked it up: The crossover wasn't written by a TTG writer, but someone who wrote for a few new PPG episodes

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I looked it up: The crossover wasn't written by a TTG writer, but someone who wrote for a few new PPG episodes

This person should be in charge of more episodes. Rather than whoever it was who decided to make Mojo speak short and concise. I can deal with the memes and the other crap everyone whines about for new PPG, but making Mojo Jojo speak concisely is an unforgivable sin.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

SilverSupernova posted:

This person should be in charge of more episodes. Rather than whoever it was who decided to make Mojo speak short and concise. I can deal with the memes and the other crap everyone whines about for new PPG, but making Mojo Jojo speak concisely is an unforgivable sin.

Its his core joke and what helps you think like how Mojo would think just by overly extrapolating something. Like the dress jokes would be better if he repetitively described its color a few times before he ended on "I like being pretty". Its like taking away goofy's laugh or screams or Donald's incoherent rage quacking. His core joke is that Mojo Jojo is an anime villain that either has to shove a lot of dubbed English into not so many lip flaps or is just overtly talkative.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It could even work with Mojo speaking concisely being the plot point - What has happened to Mojo? Maybe a speech therapist or something could have got involved, then at the end of the episode he becomes so enraged an episodes worth of redundancies spill forth in a tidal wave of anime gibberish, restoring the status quo and giving us an epic level Mojo speech.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
While we're talking about Mojo Jojo I feel compelled to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boY3sUhePQ0

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Cartoonbrew posted some info on season five of samurai jack:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/go-behind-scenes-samurai-jack-reboot-genndy-tartakovsky-141194.html

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So first you got the original series, pretty consistent simple story that added more elements to it as the show went on, like magic being real, The Plumbers being a Men in Black deal that is no longer active but has bases all around, X-Men style mutants are around, an ex-Plumber being around who decided to start his own organization. Then you got Alien Force and magic isn't real it's aliens, and mutants aren't real it's aliens (such as a brand new character half human half fire alien who explicitly says his mom was a human, so...) and the plumbers aren't inactive, it's an alien organization thousands of years old and the dude that did his own organization isn't a thing it's an organization dedicated to slaying dragons who are aliens. Then it just kinda went back and forth on its own retcons until Omniverse tried streamlining stuff and for the most part did get things to be more coherent with the original series (the halfbred are humans that got altered by a shady organization, since AF introduced four of them in the first few episode and dropped the concept entirely) but yeahhh you can see why it's better to start from zero.

Omniverse also introduced several alternate universes. They all get a team-up.

Which one had the Doctor Who ripoff character?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

shadowvine118 posted:

Which one had the Doctor Who ripoff character?

Introduced in an early episode of Alien Force, and indeed Professor Paradox is one of the best characters in the franchise

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aCH5eH51MY

quote:

Little did they know, their entire lives were about to change...Catch the full episode of Bad Lip Reading and Disney XD Present: High School Musical on Monday, July 11 at 11A on Disney XD.
Bad Lip Reading is pretty fun in little bursts (the BLR Ron Paul bit from 2012 is still one of my favorites), but I'm not altogether sure a regular full-length thing would work. On the other hand, wow what the hell?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

How that Extreme Ghostbusters show from the late 90s/early 00s.?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I might be mis-remembering but was a show by the MiB/Jackie Chan Adventures/TMNT2k3(I think?) animators (Adelaide) and those are rarely bad at least.

Watching it is certainly not the worst Ghostbusters based activity you could get up to right now.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Mr Interweb posted:

How that Extreme Ghostbusters show from the late 90s/early 00s.?

Phelous did a pretty good overview of the show. It's from the perspective of a BIG fan of the (first half of the) Real Ghostbusters.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It is incredibly 90s, but had a noticeable love of both the Real Ghostbusters cartoon (a name they had to use to avoid confusing kids even more between them and another, older, set of Filmation Ghost Busters) and the overall franchise by setting up a continuity between toons. The ghosts were edgier, but I wouldn't say its bad as it had that certain stylistic devil-may-care attitude that the MiB cartoon had. Also, I'm still very weirded out by Jim Cummings singing the opening. It isn't bad, but between growing up with his various voices, yet being around for things like bump in the night, its just odd to hear him sing in his natural voice.

However, I'd still prefer MiB or Jackie Chan over Extreme as a personal choice. I just cared to follow those shows more.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
So, I finally got around to watching the second season of Gravity Falls thanks to Hulu. I couldn't help but notice that the last episode aired months after the one that proceed it, that's awful!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

JT Smiley posted:

So, I finally got around to watching the second season of Gravity Falls thanks to Hulu. I couldn't help but notice that the last episode aired months after the one that proceed it, that's awful!

From the first half of the first season Disney was The Kid and the concept of hiatuses was The Candy Store. It just got worse and worse.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Crabtree posted:

However, I'd still prefer MiB or Jackie Chan over Extreme as a personal choice. I just cared to follow those shows more.

I think my favourite thing about Jackie Chan adventures was the interview segment early on where Jackie admitted that he always wanted to be a cartoon character to be able to do ridiculous stunts that were physically impossible in real life. Then he got money and decided "gently caress it! Let's be cartoons!" :3: And the show was actually interesting and funny for right up until the poor final season, but at least everything up until Shendu's son was cool. I liked Tarakudo for the continuity and I liked the idea that Uncle had to step down as the family shaman and allow Toru to step forth because he knew very little about Tarakudo as he was a Japanese demon and he was versed mainly in Chinese mythology. Also it was cool seeing the different types of Shadowkhan.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Crabtree posted:

Oh,thank God. I thought that I was the only person who liked the MiB show. I liked it because I thought some of the alien designs were pretty cool,and I loved K and J's banter. I also thought Alpha was a pretty neat villain-grafting alien parts to himself,until he barely looks human.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 10, 2016

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I still think that MIB the Series has one of the best intros.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

Oh,thank God. I thought that I was the only person who liked the MiB show. I liked it because I thought some of the alien designs were pretty cool,and I loved K and J's banter. I also thought Alpha was a pretty neat villain-grafting alien parts to himself,until he barely looks human.

It was a fantastic show. Alpha really creeped me the hell out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Reminds me of the cartoon based off Evolution, called Alienators: Evolution As the monster of the week continued to evolve throughout the episode, triggered by alien goo, the creatures would always end their evolution into the same basic form - the hivemind/perfect organism Scopes. It was kinda dumb but an interesting way to build up a recurring villain, have him be a hivemind who when assembled, remembered the team (If I recall correctly). I thought it kinda worked because of what it said - that (as far as the series is concerned) in the long run their isn't anything that can be done. It was a dumb, garbage dump of evolutionary theory but it was an interesting concept that, short of genociding an entire alien race and the goo it created, there was no way of really stopping Scopes for good.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 10, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Reminds me of the cartoon based off Evolution, called Alienators: Evolution As the monster of the week continued to evolve throughout the episode, triggered by alien goo, the creatures would always end their evolution into the same basic form - the hivemind/perfect organism Scopes. It was kinda dumb but an interesting way to build up a recurring villain, have him be a hivemind who when assembled, remembered the team (If I recall correctly). I thought it kinda worked because of what it said - that (as far as the series is concerned) in the long run their isn't anything that can be done. It was a dumb, garbage dump of evolutionary theory but it was an interesting concept that, short of genociding an entire alien race and the goo it created, there was no way of really stopping Scopes for good.

OH GOD, I remember that show. I don't think it it was called Alienators here in Canada,though. But yeah,I sorta recall that later on the show started to get ridiculous. Like how apparently the origin point of the Genus was not the crash site from the movie,but it was either Alaska (Metal Gear?) or Antarctica,and the US military was trying to cover it up via nukes. Because of course they would.
Keep in mind,my memory of that show is all a blur,so I could easily be wrong.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 10, 2016

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I remember watching it, but I have absolutely no memories of anything from it. I was confused as a kid, as it didn't look anything like the commercials for the film, and the film didn't seem like anything of a cultural landmark for my generation.

Then years later a friend made me watch it at his house, with those vague memories in mind, and I was more confused as that series was nothing like the cartoon.

Then even more years later I found out the film was Ivan Reitman failed attempt at Ghostbusters again, and then it all made sense.

So, based on contextual clues, I'm forced to believe it was for the most part garbage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On the recommedation earlier in the thread I've started watching the MiB animated series. Just finished episode 2. I love L, she's great. Especially when she runs off to save J and K in episode 2 and Z yells "Wait! You place in in the Lab! Don't go all Nancy Drew on me!" and her response is to chuck the labcoat, get on the hover-motorbike-thing and just retort "Nancy Drew never had one of these!"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Men in Black the Series understood the tone of the first movie better than any of the sequels. Sure they have to take down giant monsters or supervillains every so often, but everything is always put in a more mundane view, . Sure, some aliens are out there killing people or dealing in crazy superweapons, but most of them are just living peacefully in secret, running a pizza place or a newspaper stand. It's a really nice metaphor for immigrants.

It looks like the whole series is up on youtube, too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that all the Bugs, starting with Geen in the prison break episode, are voiced by Vincent D'Onofrio doing the edgar voice :3:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SlothfulCobra posted:

Men in Black the Series understood the tone of the first movie better than any of the sequels. Sure they have to take down giant monsters or supervillains every so often, but everything is always put in a more mundane view, . Sure, some aliens are out there killing people or dealing in crazy superweapons, but most of them are just living peacefully in secret, running a pizza place or a newspaper stand. It's a really nice metaphor for immigrants.

Yeah, it was some really awkward unintentional commentary when in MIB 3 they're going around casually attacking and interrogating aliens without cause or warrants and it was treated like a joke.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JT Smiley posted:

You didn't notice the year-and-a-half hiatus between season one and two?

Watching that show was pretty painful, but the great animation and story made it so worth it. Shame that it burned out Hirsch while doing so.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

the film didn't seem like anything of a cultural landmark for my generation.
Evolution was pretty hyped, as I remember a lot of bus ads and such with the 3-eyed smiley face. I remember it feeling like a MiB ripoff, but that was 4 years after MiB was released.

It didn't do so hot. Just kind of landed with a wet thud.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 10, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm onto season 2 of MiB and I love what they did with the worms in the episode The Little Big Guy (about the war between the Arquillians and their terrible neighbors).

When the arquillian that Kay and Jay manage to save is brought to the MiB for safe keeping the worms are asked to get him a warm drink, but upon their obvious offer of coffee they laugh at him for asking for decaf, as expected. But later on when he is cowering on the Twin's Desk potentially watching the demise of his entire world, one of the worms offers him a small cup - "It's decaf... Just the way you like it bro..." :unsmith:

They're idiots through and through but sometimes they grasp just how serious a situation is. They're actually better here than they were in the movies, all they were in the movies was mildly annoying set dressing.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I remember not liking Men in Black the series as a kid because I wanted J to be a more capable agent instead of the comedy partner.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Anyone got a link? Typing "Men in Black:The Series" just gets me the intro,the credits,and some stuff from a video game I never heard of.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm onto season 2 of MiB and I love what they did with the worms in the episode The Little Big Guy (about the war between the Arquillians and their terrible neighbors).

When the arquillian that Kay and Jay manage to save is brought to the MiB for safe keeping the worms are asked to get him a warm drink, but upon their obvious offer of coffee they laugh at him for asking for decaf, as expected. But later on when he is cowering on the Twin's Desk potentially watching the demise of his entire world, one of the worms offers him a small cup - "It's decaf... Just the way you like it bro..." :unsmith:

They're idiots through and through but sometimes they grasp just how serious a situation is. They're actually better here than they were in the movies, all they were in the movies was mildly annoying set dressing.
Don't wanna dampen your enjoyment of the show, but this guy says the show stopped being good when season 4 started. Apparently.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 10, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm watching them on KissCartoon.me. I like that L and the worms are allowed to be useful, it's also good to have the reminder in the Big Bad Bugs episode that L was the one who killed Edgar in the movie. I just love that moment of relisation for Zed:

Frank: "He's after the agent who iced Edgar!"
Z: "OK, I want security detail on K at all times."
Frank: "Not k."
Z: "J?"
Frank: "Nope."
J: "L!"

Also in relation to the above note - I have a high tolerance for drops in quality so I'll judge season 4 when I get there, but thanks for the warning. I still enjoyed moments in the Sabrina The Teenage Witch post college because Harvey was at least loving hilarious then due to knowing permanently that Sabrina was a witch and finally being given stuff to do, even if the main plots got subpar.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 10, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm watching them on KissCartoon.me. I like that L and the worms are allowed to be useful, it's also good to have the reminder in the Big Bad Bugs episode that L was the one who killed Edgar in the movie. I just love that moment of relisation for Zed:

Frank: "He's after the agent who iced Edgar!"
Z: "OK, I want security detail on K at all times."
Frank: "Not k."
Z: "J?"
Frank: "Nope."
J: "L!"

Also in relation to the above note - I have a high tolerance for drops in quality so I'll judge season 4 when I get there, but thanks for the warning. I still enjoyed moments in the Sabrina The Teenage Witch post college because Harvey was at least loving hilarious then due to knowing permanently that Sabrina was a witch and finally being given stuff to do, even if the main plots got subpar.

The main issue people have with season 4 is that it does one of those late season Status Quo upsets that a lot of shows do as they wind down, and a lot of people don't like the new characters introduced as part of it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I was fine when Sabrina did the same thing. I'll probably be fine here. I can often find things to like about a lot of characters, but I guess I'll see how they hold up, but I'm fine with the idea of Status Quo changing - I always find it more dull when something stagnates.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Season 4 was towards a period when I stopped watching TV for a while. All I know is that L sort of degenerated as a character in her quest to become a field agent, which really seemed like a step down. You'd never expect a CSI tech to go off and become a beat cop; it seems like the former needs more training and would get a higher salary than the latter. Her new partner, X wasn't too great either, and neither was L's wacky lab replacement or the other new season 4 characters. Also they changed their aesthetic style a bit; they dropped the washed out dull colors, which was sort of the last straw.

There was also a lot of general decay in quality here and there, but that's pretty common with shows toward the end of their run. Kid's shows generally don't have the sort of creative power to change their dynamic to stay fresh while maintaining the stuff that made them good in the first place, especially back then. Production quality of shows is only getting better with time. At least there was a sort of learning curve where J seemed to get less naive over time, although it coincided with K becoming more and more of an ubermensch.

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, it was some really awkward unintentional commentary when in MIB 3 they're going around casually attacking and interrogating aliens without cause or warrants and it was treated like a joke.

If anything, that makes it an even better metaphor for immigrants in these changing times :v:. But hey, at least a cat alien became president in the series. That's gotta mean that racism is over, right?

VolticSurge posted:

Anyone got a link? Typing "Men in Black:The Series" just gets me the intro,the credits,and some stuff from a video game I never heard of.

I guess not that complete, I poked around further and there's just this. I remember there being more back in youtube's halcyon days of tv shows, but as time goes on, channels get taken down I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

It's not exactly :filez: but if you're watching it on Youtube then you probably wouldn't feel bad about watching it on a streaming site.

WatchCartoonOnline for instance has all the episodes.