Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hexigrammus posted:

I`m going to offer a dissenting opinion and expose myself as a philistine with an uneducated palate. The best mochas I`ve had were from a shop that uses coffee from the drip pot and (good) chocolate milk from a local dairy. I think the quality of the chocolate is as important as the coffee once you get into sweet and milky.

Might take a bit of experimenting but you could find a recipe you like as much as or better than a commercial mocha using the gear mulls described.

Good point. I like to experiment (I always add dark chocolate to my Mocha anyway), and $60 is not the end of the world. Thanks thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

theHUNGERian posted:

If it doesn't taste like the real thing, I will regret the purchase. At the same time, I have ~1 cups of coffee per month, so it would be foolish to buy the real thing.

Espresso quality requirements are greatly reduced when you start adding crap to the espresso. The caramelized milk is going to deliver a lot of the flavor, along with the chocolate. You're issue is not going to be getting good enough coffee, but in getting the proper milk. The Moka pot, or an Aeropress will deliver on the fake espresso.

Also an opportunity for me to snobbishly declare, gently caress mocha. You want some chocolaty loving coffee roast up some Yemen Mocha Raimi.

All kidding aside, it's going to be the steamed milk.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

We retired the ECM Elektronika II Profi from active duty last week, had a guy come in saying "I've been getting coffee from you every day for months from that machine and it's the best coffee I've ever had so I'm buying it no matter how much it costs." It was with a tear in the eye and glad hand on the wallet we serviced it, cleaned it, packed it up, and loaded it into his car. Godspeed little profi, godspeed.

So now my daily driver is a QuickMILL Vetrano 2B Evo. They're around the same price (roughly $3k CAD), but the Quickmill is a newer revision, and you can really tell. The double boiler makes it chufty as hell, and it's a manual shot (with LED shot timer and independent PIDs) which makes it a bit more interactive than the "push a button" style of the ECM. It's kind of neat to mess around with timings, chasing that perfect over/under extraction and temperature.

The ECM was an odd beast, an expensive semi-automatic with pre-defined timings, it almost felt like a super automatic that you have to put a portafilter on and froth your own milk. The QuickMILL is a bit more demanding, but I think there's a reward there with the additional control. It runs hot as hell, with both upsides and downsides. You can get a super hot, distinct coffee out of it with no waiting or mucking about with pressure. You can also burn yourself by touching nearly any part of it, including the "anti-burn" steam wand. It's not a raging inferno danger or anything, but it definitely runs hotter and something you should be careful around. Even the portafilter (which I find a little ... underwhelming? not as meaty as some others) gets hot halfway up the handle after 3-4 pulls in a row. The Quickmill certainly feels like a more "active" machine that you have to engage with, whereas the ECM was just there and would spit out the brown stuff if you pushed a button.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Home-roasting on a West Bend and I'm curious, after the roast, how long do you guys let the gases out before sealing? 12 hours?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

porktree posted:

Also an opportunity for me to snobbishly declare, gently caress mocha. You want some chocolaty loving coffee roast up some Yemen Mocha Raimi.

I've sampled wines that were reported to have notes of berries and chocolate, but I didn't taste any of it. Is Yemen Mocha Raimi as chocolaty as some of those wines are? Because my idea of "chocolaty" is to put (up to) half a bar of 85% or 90% chocolate in my Mocha.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Does grinding in the store vs. grinding manually at home really make that much of a difference? Currently I buy whole beans, grind in the store, and generally use them within a week. I only make coffee for myself via a CCD, generally 1-2 batches per day. If it'll make a huge difference I'm happy to buy a grinder, I just don't know.

And if it will, what's the current best buy for a manual grinder? Thanks!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Does grinding in the store vs. grinding manually at home really make that much of a difference? Currently I buy whole beans, grind in the store, and generally use them within a week. I only make coffee for myself via a CCD, generally 1-2 batches per day. If it'll make a huge difference I'm happy to buy a grinder, I just don't know.

And if it will, what's the current best buy for a manual grinder? Thanks!

It is easily the biggest improvement anyone can make for coffee. Not sure what the best deal in manual grinders is though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hand grinders really suck. If you're making more than a drink a day save up for a Baratza.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The main issue with a Baratza is that I live in a very old place with few kitchen outlets and a small kitchen to boot. A battery powered grinder would be fine - one that needs to be plugged in, not so much. The only outlet I have that is at a countertop is covered by my toaster oven (which sees very frequent use).

If there's a reasonably priced battery powered burr grinder, I'm all ears.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Shooting Blanks posted:

The main issue with a Baratza is that I live in a very old place with few kitchen outlets and a small kitchen to boot. A battery powered grinder would be fine - one that needs to be plugged in, not so much. The only outlet I have that is at a countertop is covered by my toaster oven (which sees very frequent use).

If there's a reasonably priced battery powered burr grinder, I'm all ears.

Maybe an extension cord...?

No battery powered grinders I know of. Probably the same reason there aren't battery powered blenders (battery big enough to power a strong motor long enough for use isn't going to be portable)?

If you really want a powerless option, and you don't mind the price - look into a OE Lido. I hear it doesn't take that much effort to grind, and the consistency is that of much higher-priced powered grinders.
I'd discourage you from getting one of the Hario hand mills though. Cheap, sure, but it's a PITA to grind, and the consistency is pretty bad once you get into the drip range. Fine grinds are better, but it takes twice as long to grind, etc. I had to go from using a Virtuoso at my home to using a Hario Mini every morning during my Army time. NOT. FUN.

(Ghetto option: Hand drill + hario)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love my LIDO hand grinder but I don't think most sane people are going to spend $200 on a hand grinder. I wish there was a better option because the Hario and Porlex grinders are hot dog poo poo in comparison. They are strictly for travel or camping purposes only IMO.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

My Lido is my favorite coffee thing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The ROK manual grinder is p legit but A)probably overpriced B)overkill if you're not doing espresso C)kinda huge so doesn't help with counter space

bengy81
May 8, 2010
As somebody that used a Hario mill for a year and just upgraded to a Baratza Encore, JFC gently caress hand mills and get a burr grinder. Best upgrade I could have made and I'm embarrassed it took me so long to do it.

I think most people are better served by the convenience of a blade grinder than a cheap mill, for pretty much anything. My hand mill was super inconsistent, I could never make the same cup of coffee two days in a row.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I would be completely okay with a blade grinder, if there's a recommended battery powered one.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
There's not really any reason why your coffee stuff has to be in your kitchen. You could just set up a little coffee nook elsewhere and use an electric grinder like a civilized person.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
It would probably also take you less time to walk to where there is an outlet to use the coffee grinder than it would to use a hand grinder.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You'll make better coffee with a Hario hand grinder than an electric blade grinder. The electric will just make a random mish mash with no consistency whatsoever. The Hario will make suitable grounds for stuff like pour over and aeropress.

Basically don't buy a hand grinder and don't buy a blade grinder.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Counterpoint: A Lido is really fast, 1,000 times easier to clean and maintain, and cheaper than an equivalent-quality electric burr grinder.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm not a fan of hand grinder, but if you're doing those cheapy little electric blade grinders you might as well just put a rag over the beans and smack it with a hammer or something, because you're going to get the same inconsistent crappy grounds that will clump and unevenly extract.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

bengy81 posted:

As somebody that used a Hario mill for a year and just upgraded to a Baratza Encore, JFC gently caress hand mills and get a burr grinder. Best upgrade I could have made and I'm embarrassed it took me so long to do it.

I think most people are better served by the convenience of a blade grinder than a cheap mill, for pretty much anything. My hand mill was super inconsistent, I could never make the same cup of coffee two days in a row.

Hello, me from back in January.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Scaramouche posted:

I'm not a fan of hand grinder, but if you're doing those cheapy little electric blade grinders you might as well just put a rag over the beans and smack it with a hammer or something, because you're going to get the same inconsistent crappy grounds that will clump and unevenly extract.

True that. Also, I used a Zassenhaus hand grinder at work for ages. I could grind enough for a vacpot of coffee in less than a minute.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah I have an old kissing und möllman that's pretty great all things considered. The grind is fairly consistent across a decent range, it sucks if you have to change fineness frequently though. Easy to make small tweaks, but if you're going from like espresso to French press it takes a lot of fiddling with a tiny crank in a hard to reach place, and the only way to replicate a setting is by counting turns. It's also exponentially faster to grind for something like pourover than for Turkish or espresso. I still kept it dialed in for espresso for a long time before I bought a Vario and got some pretty good shots with it. Also something satisfying in hand grinding a single and pulling it on a manual lever.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Anyone have a recommendation for espresso in Edmonton?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

porktree posted:

I prefer to think of it as coffee flavoured chocolate.

I recently over-roasted (to my taste) a batch of Sumatran beans so I ground some of them fine and used them to make Vietnamese coffee. I didn't like the results. Turns out that months-old pre-ground robusta floor sweepings that taste like carbonized battery acid on their own make better tasting coffee than high quality arabica beans when you drip them over liquid icing sweetened condensed milk. :suicide:

I assume this is like the phosphoric acid in Coke. Without it a normal person would puke trying to consume that much sugar in an 8 oz drink.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Surprisingly good article in the NY Times about making coffee:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/02/23/dining/how-to-make-coffee.html

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
finally visited the starbucks reserve roastery. i bet 3rd wave coffee shop owners breathed a sigh of relief when they checked it out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bronze posted:

finally visited the starbucks reserve roastery. i bet 3rd wave coffee shop owners breathed a sigh of relief when they checked it out.

Fwiw, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It was chaotic in there, but I chatted with one of the roasters there for a good 20 minutes and he really knew his stuff.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

It's a good alternative to the lovely "first" Starbucks at Pike Place. When friends from out of town have visited we let them walk by the market one to see the stupidly long line then take them to the roasters later for an actually fun coffee experience.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

rockcity posted:

Fwiw, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It was chaotic in there, but I chatted with one of the roasters there for a good 20 minutes and he really knew his stuff.

i didn't chat with anyone too long but the barista running the clover was pretty friendly. the coffee was decent too.

yea, chaotic is right. i was expecting a classy vibe but got an earful of modern electronica with a confusing ordering experience. i think with some tweaks the place could be really neat.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Bronze posted:

i didn't chat with anyone too long but the barista running the clover was pretty friendly. the coffee was decent too.

yea, chaotic is right. i was expecting a classy vibe but got an earful of modern electronica with a confusing ordering experience. i think with some tweaks the place could be really neat.
Were you up top or down on the lower level? When I've been there the lower level was significantly quieter.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I just recently accepted coffee into my life. Like I'm not even sure if I truly like it yet but I went and got myself a French press and will probably start down this rabbit hole. Reading about grinders and self roasting is scary. I just want something better than office garbage keurig.

Feels like college and starting with natty and upgrading to craft brew

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

Steve Jorbs posted:

Were you up top or down on the lower level? When I've been there the lower level was significantly quieter.

lower was better. it's not a disaster in there but i can't imagine they expect local repeat customers buying their beans at those prices with that atmosphere when victrola is right there. i think i priced 10oz of reserve beans to be over 20 bucks.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
I am looking to upgrade from my modified skerton to a Baratza. I only really do drip, and doubt I'll get into espresso.

I'm looking at their refurbed units. Is there any one I should ignore or specifically go for between the encore, virtuoso, and preciso?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Their ~$200 model is the best one IMO if you're not doing espresso. Works great for drip and french press.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

SaltLick posted:

I just recently accepted coffee into my life. Like I'm not even sure if I truly like it yet but I went and got myself a French press and will probably start down this rabbit hole. Reading about grinders and self roasting is scary. I just want something better than office garbage keurig.

Feels like college and starting with natty and upgrading to craft brew

Not to talk you out of the coffee rabbit hole, but there are several brands of re-usable K-Cups that you can load with your own coffee grounds. My wife uses one at work, because she doesn't want to deal with a full coffee setup in her lab, and it's significantly improved her coffee experience.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

foxxtrot posted:

Not to talk you out of the coffee rabbit hole, but there are several brands of re-usable K-Cups that you can load with your own coffee grounds. My wife uses one at work, because she doesn't want to deal with a full coffee setup in her lab, and it's significantly improved her coffee experience.

I tried using one of those for about a week when I lived with a family member for a summer and I gave up. I forgot what the actual gram weight those re-usable cups hold, but it's very small, maybe like 8-10 grams, which at a normal brewing rate makes like 5oz, which I believe is a smaller portion size than you can even select when brewing. I think there is a 6oz option which gets you in the neighborhood, but I toyed around with grind size and I just couldn't get a cup out of it that I liked at all. I ended up going and digging my french press out of storage and used that the rest of the summer.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

foxxtrot posted:

The other big issue with keurigs, especially those in an office, is how disgusting they are. I once decided to clean one that we had in an often used conference room and vowed to never touch one again after that. Disgusting.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

rockcity posted:

I tried using one of those for about a week when I lived with a family member for a summer and I gave up. I forgot what the actual gram weight those re-usable cups hold, but it's very small, maybe like 8-10 grams, which at a normal brewing rate makes like 5oz, which I believe is a smaller portion size than you can even select when brewing. I think there is a 6oz option which gets you in the neighborhood, but I toyed around with grind size and I just couldn't get a cup out of it that I liked at all. I ended up going and digging my french press out of storage and used that the rest of the summer.

Yeah, it's far from perfect, but it's an option. Espeically for someone who isn't s sure how deep they want to get into Coffee. One of the people who uses the Keurig with my wife consistently over-grinds the coffee he buys, which can cause the water to seep out of the top and make a huge mess.

qutius posted:

The other big issue with keurigs, especially those in an office, is how disgusting they are. I once decided to clean one that we had in an often used conference room and vowed to never touch one again after that. Disgusting.

This one is used by less than a half-dozen people, and the only real issue they've had with it was scale from the hard water locally (wife brought it home to run a gallon of vinegar through it over one weekend to descale it as much as possible). I've never worked in an office that had a ton of people using one, but I bet they get really gross.

Again, I'm not really 'defending' the Keurig. I'm just saying that there are options to improve it for people who don't really care much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
My office has terrible Foldgers coffee that they make strong as hell every day. One of my coworkers I share a room with brought in a Keurig the other day with a box of different pods, and they were universally worse than the Foldgers.

I want to bring my set up in but having a grinder with the possibility of throwing coffee grounds everywhere as well as a kettle and a glass chemex probably isn't the best idea in the IT office. Guess I'll continue drinking the Foldgers :smith: