Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SpaceCadetBob posted:

PSA from reddit. Save your lucky egg that you get from lvl 9 and stockpile a ton of candies. Then pop the lucky egg and evolve as many pokes as you can to get a metric crap ton of xp.

fake edit: supposedly this works great with pidgys since they only need 12 candies each to evolve.

Wish I read this an hour ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Ughhh this needs a better direction tracking system, like maybe pointing the footprints in the right direction. Just spent like an hour walking around my neighborhood looking for a Bulbasaur and couldn't get it down to even two prints. It must have been in a gully or some poo poo. Typical, loving Bulbasaur.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Zombies' Downfall posted:

This is like 75% of the reason to play.

thats why battery drain is the game's fatal flaw. i could forgive the lovely alpha test feeling servers and combat system, if only you didn't need 7 rechargeable battery packs to make it through an average day. i feel afraid to use AR mode because the game passively drains so much battery, and when something funny does happen it's usually right when your phone dies and you miss the screenshot anyways, because your phone will spend a lot of time at 1% battery if you play pokemon go.

[posting while i wait for my phone to charge, so i don't miss out on pokemon while i walk my dog :v:]

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 9, 2016

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
oh look! a cool new Pokemon that I haven't caught before! Time to tap on him... wait, why is my screen unresponsive? Noooooo

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I went for a nice walk to rack up egg miles and the servers just died about 30 minutes in. Thanks Niantic. :argh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Guess I'm going to be visiting the Air Force Museum today...

Update. I'm in the museum right now. Not as many poke stops but plenty of people and some lures going on.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If nothing else, Pokemon go will definitely help shift my running schedule to mornings.

Also, do you ever get another egg incubator? If not, I might actually consider buying another.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
If you put your strongest Pokemon into a gym, you suddenly make it very hard for you to also train that gym. Or for other people to train it if you're ahead of the curve. It is especially ridiculous when you do this on a gym that has never been taken by another team ever so your denying your own team mates experience for no tangible reason?????

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any easy guides to get my android 4.3 phone to 4.4 so I can play this? I've been looking for one for the better part of two days but everything is either 'just use the software update!'which doesn't work or they read like I'm downloading malware out the rear end. I know part of the process involves rooting my phone but I'm not even sure how to do that

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

man people in the city must never want for pokeballs or whatever else pokespots give out

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
I like how my phone GPS is so loving trash I hatch eggs sitting on my rear end and watching TV. My dude just constantly wanders around like a 200m radius area.

Not complaining.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Prop Wash posted:

If nothing else, Pokemon go will definitely help shift my running schedule to mornings.

Also, do you ever get another egg incubator? If not, I might actually consider buying another.

The incubators you can buy are consumables and only work 3 times. It's loving bullshit and I should have paid attention before buying one.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

oddium posted:

man people in the city must never want for pokeballs or whatever else pokespots give out

Nope, not really.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Luna Was Here posted:

Are there any easy guides to get my android 4.3 phone to 4.4 so I can play this? I've been looking for one for the better part of two days but everything is either 'just use the software update!'which doesn't work or they read like I'm downloading malware out the rear end. I know part of the process involves rooting my phone but I'm not even sure how to do that

It completely depends on your phone. If the manufacturer released 4.4 for it, you should be able to update it through the settings, or worst case find a PC download that you can install via USB.

If they haven't, it can be a lot tougher. At that point, you have to hope that somebody compiled a generic Android build for it, or there was another phone similar enough that they hacked its software to run on yours. Then you back up everything important, follow a tutorial, and hope you don't break anything important while changing over the software (which will almost always involve a factory reset).

Search for your phone on the XDA forums. Usually for a phone, the Android Development forum will have stock ROMs or ones similar to the one on your phone now, and the Original Android Development will have the more generic versions. Check the Android Development first and see if there's a stock 4.4 or higher. If your phone never made it past 4.3 officially, the Original forum will be your best bet.

If your phone is a prepaid or something, you might be out of luck. If it was a popular phone a couple of years ago you might be able to find a Cyanogen build or something for it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Update. I'm in the museum right now. Not as many poke stops but plenty of people and some lures going on.

Make a note to go back about the same time next year and compare how dead it is :laugh:

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

So does everyone have a poke crew or are you all lone pokerangers like me? I really want to go downtown to hit a bunch of Pokestops but it's kind of awkward doing it alone. All of my local friends aren't really into the same amount of nerd poo poo as me and there's no way I'm driving to Atlanta to do Pokemon with my nerd crew. I wish there was a Tindr for finding pokebuddies. :smith:

Anyone else only getting lovely pokemon from eggs? I got a Magikarp and a Polywag so far, and the Polywag was from a 5km egg even. I feel like even when I'm at the park I don't catch much unless I have an incense going and then I catch only slightly more poo poo than I would wandering in my backyard. Where would I be most likely to find and catch the most pokemon?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

So does everyone have a poke crew or are you all lone pokerangers like me? I really want to go downtown to hit a bunch of Pokestops but it's kind of awkward doing it alone. All of my local friends aren't really into the same amount of nerd poo poo as me and there's no way I'm driving to Atlanta to do Pokemon with my nerd crew. I wish there was a Tindr for finding pokebuddies. :smith:

Anyone else only getting lovely pokemon from eggs? I got a Magikarp and a Polywag so far, and the Polywag was from a 5km egg even. I feel like even when I'm at the park I don't catch much unless I have an incense going and then I catch only slightly more poo poo than I would wandering in my backyard. Where would I be most likely to find and catch the most pokemon?

im about to head to downtown asheville and clean up.

by myself

again, i am thirty.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I need one more eevee before I can evolve mine and I've seen 3 since this morning that I couldn't catch because the servers stopped working as soon as I saw them

gently caress

also my university library being a poke spot has given me renewed motivation to actually do homework (aka sit on my computer and stock up on balls)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FizFashizzle posted:

im about to head to downtown asheville and clean up.

by myself

again, i am thirty.
something something love bloom battlefield something

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The nearby pokemon system is so weird. I've had it with perfectly a couple times but for every time I successfully hunt a Pokemon, I'll have one time where the Pokemon I'm looking for goes straight from two pawprints to gone.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I see a lot of Eevees about 2-3 footprints away but I'm never able to catch them. I wish it was like the promo vids where it shows you distance and direction instead of those bullshit footprints. There's not even any indication you're going the right way.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pakled posted:

The nearby pokemon system is so weird. I've had it with perfectly a couple times but for every time I successfully hunt a Pokemon, I'll have one time where the Pokemon I'm looking for goes straight from two pawprints to gone.

This is mostly annoying because Pokemon are clearly only in one spot for a little while before they disappear but there's no way to know when that's happening. if the nearby tracker just had a timer on every set of footprints I'd have zero problems with it

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
there is a pokestop at a field howitzer at the nat'l guard armory near me

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What do the rustling leaves on the map mean? Where Pokemon are hiding?

Seems that I walk over them and nothing happens 90% of the time. I assume it's because the servers are poo poo?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Been finding sooooooo many "bugged" gyms where the defending guy won't go below 1 hp. I know it's launch week and bugs are to be expected, but what a waste of time getting here!

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What do the rustling leaves on the map mean? Where Pokemon are hiding?

Seems that I walk over them and nothing happens 90% of the time. I assume it's because the servers are poo poo?

I think it means there's just a lot of pokemon near there.

Also I find that I have to kind of wander around in different directions for them to trigger.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Been finding sooooooo many "bugged" gyms where the defending guy won't go below 1 hp. I know it's launch week and bugs are to be expected, but what a waste of time getting here!

it's kind of ironic because the only reason this game is fun is that tons of people are playing and talking about it, and as soon as it becomes reliably playable it will no longer be fun because that will die down

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Battery saver mode is a joke, you can still hit the home screen buttons with it up, your phone will eventually lock on its own anyway, and either of these will probably cause pokemon GO to crash

Probably 50% of the time I bring it up out of battery saver either the screen is unresponsive and my dude just runs forever, or the opposite happens, and the dude never moves no matter where I go IRL. the only fix for these is to force close and reopen the app which takes like five minutes of loading.

There might be a fun game in here but this was not remotely ready to be released.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

BaronVanAwesome posted:

This has been happening to me too, but just today mostly. The servers just started crashing again so it's probably due to that. Honestly, I wouldn't even waste time on gyms unless you're going to cash in the defender bonus shortly afterward. They flip so quickly and easily that it becomes a huge drain on your resources just to keep the location that ultimately doesn't get you much of anything.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

CrashCat posted:

Make a note to go back about the same time next year and compare how dead it is :laugh:

Unlikely, both of the Dayton Ingress groups use that area for XP grinding and frequently hold events there.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Travis343 posted:

Battery saver mode is a joke, you can still hit the home screen buttons with it up, your phone will eventually lock on its own anyway, and either of these will probably cause pokemon GO to crash

Probably 50% of the time I bring it up out of battery saver either the screen is unresponsive and my dude just runs forever, or the opposite happens, and the dude never moves no matter where I go IRL. the only fix for these is to force close and reopen the app which takes like five minutes of loading.

There might be a fun game in here but this was not remotely ready to be released.

I just don't understand why they made it so you have to have the game actively running at all times to work. Tons of navigation programs and every pedometer app can keep track of you while the phone is locked/it is running in the background, why would they make it so fragile and hard to use?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

2MB posted:

This has been happening to me too, but just today mostly. The servers just started crashing again so it's probably due to that. Honestly, I wouldn't even waste time on gyms unless you're going to cash in the defender bonus shortly afterward. They flip so quickly and easily that it becomes a huge drain on your resources just to keep the location that ultimately doesn't get you much of anything.

This was the plan - there's a relatively dense area of portals in my town (100,000 people ish) that's bike able in 20 minutes or so round trip. We'd take 10 gyms quick, cash in, and try again in a few days again.

This worked day 1, but when 4/10 gyms just don't work ALL THAT EXERCISE AND FRESH AIR AND NICE TIME WITH A FRIEND WAS USELESS

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Those were all mine.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

What the gently caress, I'm only level 4 at my job in a grocery store.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Launch week or not you're allowed to be mad about this one, that bug was known about, reported and widely complained about during the beta.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Licarn posted:

Launch week or not you're allowed to be mad about this one, that bug was known about, reported and widely complained about during the beta.

Especially seeing that you still have to pay for all those revives.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

widespread posted:

What the gently caress, I'm only level 4 at my job in a grocery store.

You'll get there in time, my friend

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I've been prepared for this for months, apparently :shrug:

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
you can usually fix the 1hp gyms by force stopping pokemon, clearing cache, or trying again in a couple minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I noticed that standing by some lures I'd get no pokemon, but if I closed and reopened the app three of em would appear every time.

• Locked thread