Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's really weird, I feel like Sony games and to a larger extent indie games, though many are very good, have been getting a real loving pass by reviewers. Everything that comes out is goty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Let's get a game with the movement mechanics of sunshine and the level design of 3D World or Galaxy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

greatn posted:

It's really weird, I feel like Sony games and to a larger extent indie games, though many are very good, have been getting a real loving pass by reviewers. Everything that comes out is goty.

Indie games are definitely often judged on a different scale of "good for a janky game with programmer art and mechanics out of the 90s" as opposed to "actually a good game"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Also indie games generally top out at $30. Tons are around $10. If a $10 product is fun, interesting, makes you think, or has a good story, that's a good value even if it's janky in one or more ways

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

greatn posted:

Sony first-party IPs need to build up their reputation hardcore so that the next time they do a Smash Bros. knock-off they aren't scrambling for potential characters such as Fat Princess and Guy From Killzone. And then maybe they'll get better third-party characters besides Big Daddy from timed-exclusive Xbox 360 game BioShock and the Dante nobody wanted.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

reviewers have different tastes and priorities than average players. what games in particular do you feel are overrated?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
yes i will be more judgemental towards a game that cost 60+ than to one that costs 10. why shouldnt i?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

reviewers have different tastes and priorities than average players. what games in particular do you feel are overrated?

Uncharted. Inside. Those are the two most recent ones I've played that are just nowhere near as good as the hype. Inside is less of a game than even the last one that company made that was exactly the same game. but it's SO ATMOSPHERIC

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Blazing Zero posted:

yes i will be more judgemental towards a game that cost 60+ than to one that costs 10. why shouldnt i?

Because free time is what matters most. I want to know how to best spend my free time playing games. Honestly who cares if something is free I could probably buy $60 games that are 10-15 hours each and still not break the bank with how little free time I have.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

Uncharted. Inside. Those are the two most recent ones I've played that are just nowhere near as good as the hype. Inside is less of a game than even the last one that company made that was exactly the same game. but it's SO ATMOSPHERIC

So either not everybody has the exact same tastes as you or there is a huge conspiracy that reaches all the way to the top to make people think that bad games are actually good. Hmm....

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy Mann posted:

So either not everybody has the exact same tastes as you or there is a huge conspiracy that reaches all the way to the top to make people think that bad games are actually good. Hmm....

Not conspiracy, just people up their asses about "experiences" and trying to be serious art.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

Those are both spectacle heavy puzzle platformers. A reviewer loves those games because they are short, have one path to follow, and make write ups really easy cause they can talk about good graphics, set pieces, narrative feels, etc.

They are not thinking about replay, value, room for creative expression in play style, etc when they play a game like that. Those factors in turn would be more important than narrative in a game like doom or civ.

Maybe you just dont like a genre?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

greatn posted:

Not conspiracy, just people up their asses about "experiences" and trying to be serious art.

:lol:

"People that like different kinds of games than I do are just up their own asses."

:goonsay:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

:lol:

"People that like different kinds of games than I do are just up their own asses."

:goonsay:

No, just people who like that specific kind. You must be offended because you are up your own rear end about Movie Hallway the Game.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

Sony first-party IPs need to build up their reputation hardcore so that the next time they do a Smash Bros. knock-off they aren't scrambling for potential characters such as Fat Princess and Guy From Killzone. And then maybe they'll get better third-party characters besides Big Daddy from timed-exclusive Xbox 360 game BioShock and the Dante nobody wanted.

Sony Does have a lot of great first-party IP's. The real problem with Playstation All-Stars is that both Sony and the companies they had to work with were more interested in pushing the next game in X series instead of "here's your favorite classics!". Also the netcode was terrible.

Like, imagine if the first Smash Bros game had been Yoshi's Safari Yoshi, Wave Riders Kirby, and Glover.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

greatn posted:

No, just people who like that specific kind. You must be offended because you are up your own rear end about Movie Hallway the Game.

I'm not offended at all, I'm just laughing at you :)

I hope the NX has some good hallway simulators if only to make nerds rage.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'd buy Gone Home on the NX, it's a good game and the devs deserve more of my money imo.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Idk why people have a bug up their rear end about gone home I thought people liked Uninvited??? is this like brutal legend and sacrifice

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Neurolimal posted:

Idk why people have a bug up their rear end about gone home I thought people liked Uninvited??? is this like brutal legend and sacrifice

Generally because Gone Home's dialogue is rather cringeworthy, and the entire game sells itself on that.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Slur posted:

Generally because Gone Home's dialogue is rather cringeworthy, and the entire game sells itself on that.

The secret of Gone Home is that the main plot is boring and the cool part is the side stories about the rest of the family that you piece together by rifling through their stuff.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

pixaal posted:

Because free time is what matters most. I want to know how to best spend my free time playing games. Honestly who cares if something is free I could probably buy $60 games that are 10-15 hours each and still not break the bank with how little free time I have.

big names dont always mean good games, just like indie doesnt always mean bad games. since its a crapshoot, im more willing to gamble on cheaper titles than expensive preorders. a 10 dollar bad game > a 60 dollar bad game every time, no matter how long i could have played either

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Th main plot of Gone Home is just serviceable enough to keep you exploring the house for the cool stuff imo.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
My only issue with Gone Home is I think the female was supposed to be a teenager, but the handwriting and contents of most of the notes felt like it came from a 10 year old.

I'm making a prediction that we won't get the NX until holiday 2017 and these comments lately are just to pander to their investors. That or the launch lineup is going to be as good as the 3DS was.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

katkillad2 posted:

My only issue with Gone Home is I think the female was supposed to be a teenager, but the handwriting and contents of most of the notes felt like it came from a 10 year old.

I'm making a prediction that we won't get the NX until holiday 2017 and these comments lately are just to pander to their investors. That or the launch lineup is going to be as good as the 3DS was.

Well there IS a brand new Street Fighter to 3D-erize.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Blazing Zero posted:

big names dont always mean good games, just like indie doesnt always mean bad games. since its a crapshoot, im more willing to gamble on cheaper titles than expensive preorders. a 10 dollar bad game > a 60 dollar bad game every time, no matter how long i could have played either

Right but in a review the price shouldn't factor in. I'd rather a review reflect how good a game was if it was free or $200. You can have a blurb in the review about "value" (length and fun vs time) but a review a games rating should like like a movie review. Not factor cost in. I'm someone that honestly can enjoy a bad game but if I see a 9/10 or 10/10 that should be a game I have to play not oh run of the mill game but it's $5 by some guy in his garage.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pixaal posted:

Right but in a review the price shouldn't factor in. I'd rather a review reflect how good a game was if it was free or $200. You can have a blurb in the review about "value" (length and fun vs time) but a review a games rating should like like a movie review. Not factor cost in. I'm someone that honestly can enjoy a bad game but if I see a 9/10 or 10/10 that should be a game I have to play not oh run of the mill game but it's $5 by some guy in his garage.

movies all have the same admission price though. i want to know that evolve is a decent f2p game and an insult of a retail release in a review

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I feel like "is it worth priceTagHere" is always a question worth addressing. The only reason Master of Orion 3 is a cautionary tale about pre-orders for me more than ten years after the fact is because I spent more than I should have on it. I'm not bothered by Starbound and Mighty No. 9 because whatever, they were cheap.

I'll pass over a $60 title every single time unless I'm absolutely loving certain it's something I'm going to enjoy, but I'm okay with that $1 bundle fodder being passable at best.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Can we seriously not judge the quality of a Game's content with it's Price Tag. If you can't afford to buy every game under the Sun but want a good time investment for your buck, that's a little understandable. But otherwise, no please stop. Be mindful of the game's budget maybe if you care about stuff like that, not the price tag.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ventana posted:

Can we seriously not judge the quality of a Game's content with it's Price Tag. If you can't afford to buy every game under the Sun but want a good time investment for your buck, that's a little understandable. But otherwise, no please stop. Be mindful of the game's budget maybe if you care about stuff like that, not the price tag.

Why?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The budget of the game almost always ends up being reflected in the price tag, so really you're just inventing a new way to do the same thing.

I get wanting to be agnostic about price, but I don't think it's realistic. I don't think it's fair to expect a level playing field when games can vary between $20-$80 at launch.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Ventana posted:

As has already been said, these are often pretty closely tied. There's no practical or rational reason to ignore price in determining whether a game anything is worth buying, and I can't believe there's actually controversy about it. Do you nerds get triggered whenever you hear that someone only bought something because it was on sale?

Bringing this trainwreck back to the NX, $300 is certainly my sweet spot for considering a new console, and if it retails for more it'd have to have a spectacular lineup for me not to wait until someplace has it on sale. I kinda assume their new handheld patent that made the rounds this weekend hints at a less chunky successor to the Gamepad, which I can only imagine would inflate the price a little bit if they're going for a more mainstream and less experimental box.

But who knows, maybe it'll get Monster Hunter 5 at launch and money will be no object. :allears:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Price doesn't matter if you're a NEET who either pirates everything or has their parents to buy everything for them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's NEET stand for.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

greatn posted:

What's NEET stand for.

"Not in Education, Employment, or Training". The implication here is that it's a person who just plays video games and watches anime all day.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dr Cheeto posted:

"Not in Education, Employment, or Training". The implication here is that it's a person who just plays video games and watches anime all day.

I don't know, that sounds like me when I was actually in college.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

greatn posted:

I don't know, that sounds like me when I was actually in college.

You were at least technically in education :shrug:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nothing but NET

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What's the source behind these cartridge rumors, anyhow? I'd love to see them come back but I can't believe a company would make their game manufacturing process more expensive when burning discs is so cheap.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

What's the source behind these cartridge rumors, anyhow? I'd love to see them come back but I can't believe a company would make their game manufacturing process more expensive when burning discs is so cheap.

The trademark paperwork for Breath of the Wild mentions video game discs and video game cartridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Andrast posted:

Microsoft also really hosed the marketing with the xbone, just like Sony did with the ps3.

Riiiiiiiiidge raceeeerrrrrrr

Edit: can I just say at this point, Stux, I feel really sad each time I see you eat a huge probation

Elusif fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 10, 2016

• Locked thread