Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Aircraft carriers definitely still share planes, when I got the Mutsuki the torps were already unlocked by the Aoba, and I want to say the guns on the Svetlana were already unlocked when I elited the Bogatyr.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm pretty sure no ships share research items.

Some of the Russian DDs share torpedo research. For example, the upgraded Kiev torps are the same as the stock ones on the Tashkent. So if you unlock the Tashkent without researching that upgrade, they'll get unlocked on the Kiev for free.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Welp, finished the Tashkent

It's not a bad ship over all.
Lots of fun at least, wouldn't say it's as effective as the Benson/Fubuki though.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

How do you Fubuki? For some reason, it's easily my worst performing ship. I have no idea what to do anymore. I've simply stopped playing it. I like the Benson or Blys and I play them when I get the itch to DD.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Okay, this is pretty cool, and definitely an improvement over WoT (which I've been consoling :/). Any thoughts on cruiser lines, including the new Russian and German cruisers, or any suggestions/pointers to good basic tactical information?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Best Cruiser line is probably the Japanese one. Just set everything on fire.

Basic and best pointer for effective gameplay is never show your sides to anything if you can help it.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I can't speak for the later ones, but the T4 Russian cruiser is amazing at getting citadels. The shells aren't too big, but when you can shoot a broadside at steep approach angles and the shell velocity will penetrate any other cruiser you face.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I can only really advise you up to about tier 6.

American cruisers tend to be the slowest but heavily armored, and positively bristling with guns--individually the guns aren't great, but no American ship after tier 3 has less than ten. Up all the way to tier 5 these are all mounted individually rather than in turrets, so with an Ami cruiser you can always be assured that you'll have SOME guns pointed at someone. Having guns knocked out is also no problem for Americans. The Tier 6 Cleveland has only marginal armor (though still possibly the best of its tier), and its gun arcs are awful, but it has ridiculous rates of fire and great shells, so it's widely considered one of the best tier 6 ships let alone cruisers. ALSO worth noting is that excepting tiers 4 and 5, American cruisers are the only ones that don't have torpedoes. I also know that the Tier 10 American cruiser, the Des Moines, is INSANE, because it has autoloading guns and can fire insane amounts of shells as a result.

Japanese cruisers differ wildly in style. Tier 2 is your bog standard Titanic With Guns. Tiers 3 and 4 are more like large destroyers--paper armor, mediocre guns, exceptional speed and torpedoes. The Japanese use the Type 93 Long Lance, possibly the best torpedo in the world, and all of their cruisers mount it. The Furutaka at tier 5 also has paper armor but can mount by far the largest guns for tier, 203 mms. The downside of these is the long reload and the glacial turret rotation. The Aoba is effectively the same thing, but with more health and slightly better armor.

Russian cruisers up to Tier 4 are very similar to the Americans--lots of armor, lots of guns, slow as balls. They kind of suck, but you can do some hilarious stuff with their gun arcs. At tier 5 the Soviets take over and you start getting ships with virtually no armor but RIDICULOUS guns. These are sniper ships. You do not want to fight toe-to-toe, but if you do, you have your torps. Russian torps are absolute trash and have tiny ranges.

German cruisers are similar in play to the Russians--up to Tier 4 they're slow, with lots of small guns, and armored--but less well than their contemps. The Karlsruhe at tier 4 is possibly the worst cruiser around, but immediately after it comes the Konigsberg at 5, which is now quite possibly the best cruiser at tier since its aft guns can now rotate 360 degrees. The Nurnberg after it lacks this, but is still very good. German guns are very accurate and their arcs are better than those of the Americans, and they have VERY good reload times--Germans are more comfortable farther away but are perfectly comfortable in a brawl.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 9, 2016

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

I just got a Zao after what seemed like IJN cruiser hell of Mogami and Ibuki... what are people's thoughts on the t3 weapon upgrade? 18.7km range seems dank but so does reload speed

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

marxismftw posted:

I just got a Zao after what seemed like IJN cruiser hell of Mogami and Ibuki... what are people's thoughts on the t3 weapon upgrade? 18.7km range seems dank but so does reload speed

The Zaos guns are good enough to hit stuff at that range and it gives you a bigger buffer to stealth fire, esp if your captain doesn't have Concealment. IJN turrets are already slow, I wouldn't to slow them anymore, although the penalty was reduced recently so maybe its worth revisiting.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
What exactly did they do to the Mogami to make her suck? She was baller as hell in beta.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Hey I'm thinking about getting back into this and the Warspite looks cool. I went on ebay and there's a bunch of $15 offers for (presumably single use per account) codes for $50 worth of boat bucks. Are these offers legit and good and is the Warspite also good or at least fun? That castle bridge is wonderful.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sard posted:

Hey I'm thinking about getting back into this and the Warspite looks cool. I went on ebay and there's a bunch of $15 offers for (presumably single use per account) codes for $50 worth of boat bucks. Are these offers legit and good and is the Warspite also good or at least fun? That castle bridge is wonderful.

Those codes don't give you $50 of doubloons, they give you a Diana, Tachibana, 7 days of premium, and 2000 doubloons. I'm not sure when they expire, either.

EDIT: seems the codes are good until 7/26: http://www.geforce.com/2016-free-to-play-bundle/terms

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 9, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Vengarr posted:

What exactly did they do to the Mogami to make her suck? She was baller as hell in beta.

She got some nerfs, but more importantly she got shifted up a tier.

E: Also the Warspite is great for a very particular playstyle. Watch this video to learn more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5uioIWjFxI

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Well, presuming your talking of the 155's?

Essentially made none of the captain skills effect them after having nerfed the ship with them in mind.

So you've got a ship that's got the same health as a Myoko (actually 100 less) the same range, slower firing guns at tier 8.

Doesn't really work out so well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The change to make BFT and AFT not affect the 155s on its own would have been okay. The problem was that they'd already tossed nerfs on the Mogami in the form of drastically weaker turret armor for the 155s, making them much easier to knock out or destroy, AND massively increased how long it took the turrets to rotate, to an absurd 51 seconds.

Then they landed the BFT and AFT changes, along with Expert Marksman no longer giving the better rotation speed as well - which was what had kept the base 51 second rotation speed at least tolerable - and never bothered to roll back any of the previous nerfs. Oh, and if you actually look at the other stats of Mogami (health, AA, range, etc.) they're all basically inferior to Myoko, because when they switched the tiers of the two, they didn't actually modify their stats - which is one reason Myoko is so good at T7, and Mogami is so bad at T8 after the massive and repeated nerfs on the 155s.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 10, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Those codes don't give you $50 of doubloons, they give you a Diana, Tachibana, 7 days of premium, and 2000 doubloons. I'm not sure when they expire, either.

Nuts, are you absolutely sure about that? I haven't had any luck finding details about the contents other than multiple instances of "$50 in virtual currency".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sard posted:

Nuts, are you absolutely sure about that? I haven't had any luck finding details about the contents other than multiple instances of "$50 in virtual currency".

http://www.gigabyte.com/WebPage/272/

2000 doubloons and other items totaling $50.

Sard
May 11, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://www.gigabyte.com/WebPage/272/

2000 doubloons and other items totaling $50.

:smith: Oh well, no Warspite adventures today then. Back to the Wyoming!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sard posted:

:smith: Oh well, no Warspite adventures today then. Back to the Wyoming!

Hey, it could be worse - you could have ended up with two T2 premiums you'll never play. If those codes granted 10-12k in Doubloons they'd be selling for ~$30.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hey look, I found some old footage video of the new jersey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Du7EnTovM

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Maybe there is hope?

2 days back, 2 ranks gained.

Ending at rank 5. There are still people trying to bot their way to the top, and it seems to be working somehow, found a shitter at rank 8, botting in multiple matches today.

(sorry AntonioHandsome, I thought for sure we'd lose with him)... anyway 5.

5 seems to be a different world entirely. Nervous that I need 24 wins over my losses still. 17 ranked battles with only a 58% w/r today. Quite the slog for 5 stars.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

jownzy posted:

Maybe there is hope?

2 days back, 2 ranks gained.

Ending at rank 5. There are still people trying to bot their way to the top, and it seems to be working somehow, found a shitter at rank 8, botting in multiple matches today.

(sorry AntonioHandsome, I thought for sure we'd lose with him)... anyway 5.

5 seems to be a different world entirely. Nervous that I need 24 wins over my losses still. 17 ranked battles with only a 58% w/r today. Quite the slog for 5 stars.

You must succeed, for the sake of harvesting tears with a smoke-equipped Atlanta.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Before ranked ends, rank 10 to rank 5 is doable but rank 5 to rank 1 at 58% realistically seems like you'd have to dedicate most of your non working day solely to play botes, and not get frustrated by inevitably bad pubbie play.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
This weekend has been very frustrating. 75% of battles Ive played my team scatters like leaves in the wind and fails to kill more than 4 enemy ships before being completely destroyed. I usually sink one or two, but then I look around and everyone is dead.

Whats the deal with BB players who dont look at the map and decide to go off alone? THAT DOESNT WORK STOP DOING IT!

Please can I be on the good team for once this weekend? please?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

JuffoWup posted:

Hey look, japan resurrected the izumo!

I'm not sure assigning a name last used on an armored cruiser launched in 1898 counts as a resurrection, nor that this is in any way noteworthy given the JMSDF has been recycling IJN ship names for decades.

NTRabbit posted:

Apparently the Type 90 mod. 1 torpedoes for 16,400 xp on the Myoko, and the Type 90 mod. 1 torpedoes with identical stats for 16,400 on the Hatsuharu are in fact completely different, and not a shared research item, to which I say gently caress right off.

They were originally separate, then shared, then recently separated again. :argh:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Pacra posted:

Before ranked ends, rank 10 to rank 5 is doable but rank 5 to rank 1 at 58% realistically seems like you'd have to dedicate most of your non working day solely to play botes, and not get frustrated by inevitably bad pubbie play.

The games at rank five have been pretty hard. Neither of the two games I played were competitive. It'll be over soon either way. Really pissed about having to be gone would have had it no problem.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Had an amazing game in Trap thanks to a storm Where I was the only tier 6 on my team in my Molotov in a tier 8 game.

The storm forced a 4 BB, 2 Ca, 2 DD (my team) vs. 4 BB, 2 CA, 1 DD brawl around the volcano. I killed the enemy Benson and moved back towards our BBs as we lost our 2 DDs and the Atlanta, Then turned around and formed up with the BBs and sailed my Molotov between their NC and Tirpitz, firing one lovely 4km torp volley at the NC crippling it and one lovely 4km torp volley at the Tirpitz killing it on the other side of me while firing at a Mogami and dying to Tirp torps.
Everyone was within 6 Kms of everybody else. It was the best.

I disagree that the Cleveland is the best tier 6. Tier 6s best (worst) kept secret is the Budyonny. While it doesn't have the smaller double citadel arrangement of the Cleveland, it's citadel armor is significantly thicker at 140 mm to the Clevelands 127 mm making it better able to withstand shells while angled. The incredible firing arc just destroys everything at any range and of course has emergency torps. Stat wise it outperforms the Cleveland in most categories, but of course the sample size on stat sites is much smaller and the Russian cruiser line is probably skewed towards more skilled players.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 10, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UahnMHVNwX0

No info on the most important stat for the french bb, its bow armor. If it's 30mm it's a great ship, if it's less it's gonna be a lot worse.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 10, 2016

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

This shitter rammed me about 3km across the map into enemy torps continued to ram me after I was dead with his tirpitz. This is why premiums should have requirements.

https://warships.today/player/1019028792/na/Chuck_Crawford

Edit: came in second place, even though I died in the first few minutes. He was comfortably in last.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 10, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

jownzy posted:

This shitter rammed me about 3km across the map into enemy torps continued to ram me after I was dead with his tirpitz. This is why premiums should have requirements.

https://warships.today/player/1019028792/na/Chuck_Crawford

Wow, that guy really doesn't "get" how the game is supposed to be played.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Hey, this guy isn't total poo poo!

https://warships.today/player/1000842318/na/RichardWhiskey

DiHK fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 10, 2016

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Wow, that guy really doesn't "get" how the game is supposed to be played.

His stats in the Lo Yang defy comprehension

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It turns like a truck running on greased rims, while having no armour and a comparable citadel zone to the Nurnberg, and on top of that the AP shells are aggressively mediocre - nothing should ever bounce off the flat side of a Furutaka - and it has non-existent AA, as well as the same lousy 4km torps the destroyers get.

And I have people telling me the Schors is somehow worse.

The last nerf to the Cleveland finally pushed it over the tipping point, where it's now quite difficult (but not impossible) to use effectively, and in certain circumstances is inferior to the Nurnberg. It's still better than the Aoba and Budyonny.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 11, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Freedom from the Pensecola! :toot::sureboat:

Celebrated with a Kraken Unleashed 2300 base XP game in the Indianapolis. No idea what the damage total is because the game crashed when the battle ended :(

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It is just me, or is the Molotov and Warspite high in the water?

Also, national voices are baller.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Minenfeld! posted:

How do you Fubuki? For some reason, it's easily my worst performing ship. I have no idea what to do anymore. I've simply stopped playing it. I like the Benson or Blys and I play them when I get the itch to DD.

Be a stealth torpedo boat mostly. The guns are there for being an opportunistic little poo poo against low-health targets, lone carriers that you can't get a good torp shot at and enemy DDs that are looking the other way. Just pick a dumb big fat target, close in until you're nearly at detection, then drop the torps in overlapping narrow spreads and run away.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

NTRabbit posted:

It turns like a truck running on greased rims, while having no armour and a comparable citadel zone to the Nurnberg, and on top of that the AP shells are aggressively mediocre - nothing should ever bounce off the flat side of a Furutaka - and it has non-existent AA, as well as the same lousy 4km torps the destroyers get.

And I have people telling me the Schors is somehow worse.

The last nerf to the Cleveland finally pushed it over the tipping point, where it's now quite difficult (but not impossible) to use effectively, and in certain circumstances is inferior to the Nurnberg. It's still better than the Aoba and Budyonny.

Sorry all the stats say otherwise and among unicums in the top 5% it has nearly 10% higher win rate and 8,000 higher damage. So even among the players who use their ships to their highest potential it wins out over the Cleveland. Turning in Russian cruisers is bad but map awareness can remedy that to a large degree.

Edit: Surprisingly the Cleveland has the lowest win rate of all tier 6 cruisers in the top 50% of players. It probably really needs to be buffed and put where ever it's actually supposed to be in a new USA cruiser line or the Buddy needs a slight nerf. Additionally since CVs are scarce these days the Cleveland doesn't get to shine much in an antiaircraft role which could sway matches.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 11, 2016

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
The sadness when Yamato penetrates Iowa/Montana bow doing 30+k dmg. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Aesis posted:

The sadness when Yamato penetrates Iowa/Montana bow doing 30+k dmg. :smith:

I had a guy yesterday take a startled moment to ponder how his n cal got citadeled by a tirpitz while bow on to the tirpitz (me). That was also the kill shot so he had some time to ponder it. I was about as surprised as he was. He had started to turn though, but I had also aimed high with the intent of striking the superstructure since he was bow on to me. He wasn't really mad though. Just going "welp, that was a shock and a lesson." Apparently my first two volleys on him at the start of the game had each broken one of his turrets. Leaving him plodding around most of the game alive with just one functional turret. The poor guy, I have no idea how I got so lucky to basically cripple him at the start.

Anyway, some more fun. As anyone can tell you, the isokaze and minekaze are some prime jap DD ships till perhaps the fubuki. So this isn't a complete surprise, but still fun all the same. Flamu walks off at the end of the match with 4x devestating strikes, kraken, high caliber, and confederate (I think, don't remember though). He also imparts nearly 145k damage. For anyone struggling to get their torps to land, this might be a good primer for you on how to layer your torps so that a ship can't just sail between a set and take no damage. There is another video which a quick search should come up as well as he does mention what the other ship play was that covered more on how to properly aim your torps (and not always just on the grey line).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGP6Ulr_dek