Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

have they actually added any non-raid content to this game in the last few months

There are a few events going on to set up Living Story Season 3

few being the operative word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Now that we've killed two dragons, where do you think we'll go next? I'm thinkin Kralkatorrik and Bubbles next. They're also the ones blocking off Elona and Cantha, so we might even get to go back to those if this weren't a dead gay game.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Kralk is probably next, can't wait for four stunningly diverse maps of orange desert, red desert, yellow desert and black desert, and then a totally sweet fight against Kralk with the remaining DE members and Yoko Ono

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Illuyankas posted:

I enjoy Guild Wars 2

This but unironically.

Also Zodiac skins are 50% off!!

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 9, 2016

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao did he actually

I bet his blog isn't as bad as yours.

In case anyone was curious Arus has his own blog too: http://myprinterrepairblog.blogspot.com/

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Where were you when #bloggate was posted?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Sprite141 posted:

Oh it was a personal blog? Thaaats not a smart idea, yeah.

Eh, could be worse. Whatever!

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I'm pretty new to the game and trying out a Warrior. When looking at builds it seems almost all of them use greatswords; are there any other viable weapons? I like the idea of swinging a giant two-hander but I hate the way greatsword plays.

EDIT: I play PvE almost exclusively. Also, the Axe/Shield combo seems to fit me a lot better, is it any good?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jabarto posted:

I'm pretty new to the game and trying out a Warrior. When looking at builds it seems almost all of them use greatswords; are there any other viable weapons? I like the idea of swinging a giant two-hander but I hate the way greatsword plays.

EDIT: I play PvE almost exclusively. Also, the Axe/Shield combo seems to fit me a lot better, is it any good?

Honestly, 99.9% of this game's PvE is easy enough that you can use whatever and still be effective. Most builds just use greatsword cause it's got consistently high DPS.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Jabarto posted:

good news you can play however you want and use a greatsword later if you decide it's your thing

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Have you tried the hammer? I haven't played much warrior, but hammer in general has a lot of oomph and is good and cool. Guardian especially.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I'm just kinda nervous because I'd like to try dungeons and such at some point and I'm reading about these people getting kicked from groups for using anything other than a greatsword and full Berserker armor. :shobon:

I tried the hammer but it takes a while to kill things with it and the mass aoe doesn't help much when I'm only fighting 1-3 enemies at once most of the time.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Jabarto posted:

I'm just kinda nervous because I'd like to try dungeons and such at some point and I'm reading about these people getting kicked from groups for using anything other than a greatsword and full Berserker armor. :shobon:

I tried the hammer but it takes a while to kill things with it and the mass aoe doesn't help much when I'm only fighting 1-3 enemies at once most of the time.

Join a goon guild (e2: forgot to mention that this is because goons are not openly insecure whiny baby meat spheres and wouldn't spitekick you for something as petty as that), the instructions on how to do so are in the OP and you will make Arus very happy by being the first person to read it. Despite the occasional negative nature of the posts in the thread, mostly from goons being a bit burnt out after literal weeks of game time, GW2 is still enjoyable and the first run through is pretty great.

Try out axe/warhorn, axe/axe, or axe/mace - axe mainhand owns, warhorn is nice for mobility, axe offhand has some fun moves, while mace offhand is pretty nice for cracking heads - plus a sword to swap to with warhorn for travelling around (take the auto-target off in options if you do though so you don't press 2 and violently swerve off a cliff after a bat or something). Another swap option, or swaption if you will, is longbow - wait til you have a full adrenaline bar, hit F1 on the enemies you're fighting, then longbow 3 and whichever warhorn skill isn't Charge. That's a fire field plus two blast finishers, giving you 6 stacks of might, which with For Great Justice is a nice tidy 9 for minimal effort on top of the burning damage and debuffs etc.

e: on a side note sylvari are the worst to pretty princess up as if I want to swap their armour or weapons over, I feel obliged to change their skin colour to match which gets expensive - seven of the 13 total makeover kits I've used have been on salads alone.

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 9, 2016

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Warrior hammer is basically a PvP weapon, it's mostly used for the control and damage between skills 4, 5, and the burst. There's almost nothing AI controlled that will try to disengage to cast a heal skill or play defensively when it starts getting low on health, though, so you can just keep smacking stuff with the axe. Try to avoid interrupting its auto-attack chain, the third skill in the sequence does twice as much damage as the second, which does twice as much as the first, so wait until it flips back over to the start again before hitting axe 2 or whatever.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Read the op, warm my cockles.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Pretty sure there are Canadian hookers for that

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress that, I'll be in Amsterdam tomorrow!!

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Are there any good condition builds for Mesmer?

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Are there any good condition builds for Mesmer?

I don't know if it's especially good, but this is the Condi build I used until I started Raiding.

Basically, it's Dueling 3-3-2, Illusions 2-2-2, Chrono 3-3-3; You use Rampager gear with Rune of the Krait (or Chronomancer), Sword/Pistol and Staff with Sigils of Agony, and your main Utilities are Well of Action, Well of Recall, and Time Warp as your Elite.

It seemed suitable for fractals, world bosses, and general PVE. The general idea is that your main source of Condi damage is the bleeds caused by your Phantasms (thanks to the Dueling line) which are attacking more often and harder (thanks to the Illusion line), and you take Krait runes to increase your bleed duration and add bleeding, torment, and poison to your Time Warp skill. Which, by the way, you're still abusing with the general Chronomancer trick of Conti Split to decrease the cooldown. So your goal is to get out three Phantasms as quickly as possible (using your Chrono tricks if necessary), then let your Phantasms stack Conditions while you rely on the Staff at range. You don't shatter as frequently as usual because you're relying on your Phantasms for the damage.

You can replace the heal skill with the Chrono heal well or Ether Feast, and the last Utility slot can be anything, like another Phantasm for instance.

It performed very well in Fractals and whatnot, and I liked it and had fun playing it. However, it is very slow to build up your DPS. While I think this *might* be good, there are way better classes at Condi that stack up their conditions much faster. It's not as good as the Chronotank Raid build or the general Zerker Chrono that I run with now.

But who knows? Maybe you'll like it. It was fun while I played it! :)

Also it's waaaaaaay cheaper gear than Chronotank. :p

Edited for clarity.

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 9, 2016

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Condi builds being good still feels like a fever dream.

Also I was trying to work out which alt I'd forgotten - I'd had some notes about 31 of them but my char select screen reads 32 - when I found I had made an asura guard called Smite Me Irl, used the 80 boost on it and then didn't remember it existed for nearly three months

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

You can always find some madman's ramblings about condi mesmer spreadsheet dps on Reddit. If you're just running around open world maps you may as well just use some kind of WvW roaming condishatter build.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress that, I'll be in Amsterdam tomorrow!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfHTFjJ3qHQ

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Illuyankas posted:

e: on a side note sylvari are the worst to pretty princess up as if I want to swap their armour or weapons over, I feel obliged to change their skin colour to match which gets expensive - seven of the 13 total makeover kits I've used have been on salads alone.

That's exactly what makes them the best to pretty princess up. :colbert:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Beyond what other other people have said, pubbies are stupid children and most dungeons that allow 5 players in can legitimately be cleared by 2-3 people who are very good, and so it's really easy to clear with 5 people regardless of gear or build if you understand concepts like "don't stand in red circles" and "hit red things," which pubbies continually struggle with. If you run with goons, no one is going to give you poo poo about gear or builds, at least not without being mocked by many other goons.

Personally, I would recommend a mixture of Soldier's, Berserker's, and Assassin's stats for your intial armor. Between them they give you the following 5 stats:

Power - Deal more damage
Precision - Crit more often
Ferocity - Crits hit harder
Toughness - Take less damage
Vitality - Have more health

In particular, Soldier's will give you Power, Vitality, and Toughness, Berserker's will give you Power, Precision, and Ferocity, and Assassin's will also give Power, Precision, and Ferocity but with an emphasis on Precision where Berserker's emphasizes Power. The biggest upside to Assassin's is that it's generally a lot cheaper than Berserker's, so it makes for nice starter armor.

Regarding other stats, outside of relatively specialized setups, Healing power is generally kind of worthless, as is Concentration (boon duration). Condition Damage and especially Expertise (condition duration) are very, very good if you want to primarily deal damage through conditions (ie damaging debuffs) but you can't get Expertise on armor without having Heart of Thorns, and Condition builds aren't super great without it.

In general in GW2 more offense is better, because the dodge mechanic means you can negate nearly all damage if you play perfectly. At the same time, you want to be sturdy enough to keep yourself alive because living dps > dead dps no matter what the stats involved are, and no one dodges everything.

Also wrt greatsword, something that's really nice about it that you'll probably come to love eventually is that the 3 and 5 skills both move you faster than you can actually run, so it's a fantastic weapon for getting around maps. Additionally, the 2 deals a boatload of damage, and most mobs can be killed just by doing 5 to get to them then unloading 2 on them. Pubbies are obsessed with greatsword warrior because there's a build that uses it heavily that's very, very strong, but gently caress pubbies play what you want. I love greatsword because it's fun to go zooming around swinging a giant sword, but if you don't that's totally fine!

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 10, 2016

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Magres posted:

Also wrt greatsword, something that's really nice about it that you'll probably come to love eventually is that the 3 and 5 skills both move you faster than you can actually run, so it's a fantastic weapon for getting around maps.

Pssh, look at this guy who doesn't have sword/warhorn permanently stapled to his secondary weapon set.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I never said anything about what my non-greatsword weaponset :cheeky:

(it's swordhorn)

Farali
Feb 18, 2012

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Pssh, look at this guy who doesn't have sword/warhorn permanently stapled to his secondary weapon set.

I think you mean sword/axe, friend. Become a fury'd blender of death with 4, then set enemies to liquefy with 5.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Finally did some eSports last night for the first time in over a year. I think it went well.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Lonk posted:

Finally did some eSports last night for the first time in over a year. I think it went well.

that was fantastic

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I'm getting bored of elementalist because I just use fireball and the occasional meteor shower. Which is the most fun class for levelling?

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

pisshead posted:

I'm getting bored of elementalist because I just use fireball and the occasional meteor shower. Which is the most fun class for levelling?

I really like elementalist, though I did use my 80 boost to level that character. Have you tried playing around with different attunements and weapons? Dagger/Dagger seems like it's more fun for active play.

I've gotten a couple characters up to 80, and I really liked engineer and warrior a lot too.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

DaVideo posted:

I really like elementalist, though I did use my 80 boost to level that character. Have you tried playing around with different attunements and weapons?

Yes, but fireball just fucks everything anyway so I'd be making things difficult for myself on purpose.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Engineer is really fun.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

pisshead posted:

Yes, but fireball just fucks everything anyway so I'd be making things difficult for myself on purpose.

True, but if you only want to do the most effective thing, then every class will be boring for you. Could give Mesmer a try, it's just difficult to level no matter what.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

True, but if you only want to do the most effective thing, then every class will be boring for you. Could give Mesmer a try, it's just difficult to level no matter what.

OK, I'll try a mesmer or engie. If the most effective way to play is boring, that sounds like a failure of game design. I could find other ways to kill mobs than 1 1 1 1 1, but I'd just be tickling them with lightning, rocks or ice whilst they beat my face in. That would give more variety but wouldn't necessarily be any more fun, it'd just be taking longer to get their health bars down, not necessarily a different play style.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Play PvP or WvW if you want to actually be using all your abilities, PvE is basically a gimmick mode they had to include because you can't sell a WoW derivative AAA MMO without big open world maps full of angry wildlife, gathering, crafting, leveling, dungeons, etc. so they just tossed all that in, made it really easy, and didn't bother balancing anything for it besides tossing in a few traits on the side that are impractical against anything not following a predictable routine.

eSports!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

pisshead posted:

OK, I'll try a mesmer or engie. If the most effective way to play is boring, that sounds like a failure of game design. I could find other ways to kill mobs than 1 1 1 1 1, but I'd just be tickling them with lightning, rocks or ice whilst they beat my face in. That would give more variety but wouldn't necessarily be any more fun, it'd just be taking longer to get their health bars down, not necessarily a different play style.

If you are just casting Fireball with the occasional Meteor Shower weaved in then you are nowhere close to the most effective way of playing Staff Elementalist. There is no game design failure here (not yet at least).

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Fireball/Meteor Shower ele is the only way to play.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

If you're coming from WoW or FFXIV, ability priorties/rotations in GW2 are pretty boring no matter what. There's one single reactive proc in the game (Guardian torch trait) and the two attempts at actual resource systems are basically just 'do you want damage or utility?'.

Engineer has the most cooldowns to be thinking about at any time but John loving Madden would still have a hard time coming up with something to say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Play PvP or WvW if you want to actually be using all your abilities, PvE is basically a gimmick mode they had to include because you can't sell a WoW derivative AAA MMO without big open world maps full of angry wildlife, gathering, crafting, leveling, dungeons, etc. so they just tossed all that in, made it really easy, and didn't bother balancing anything for it besides tossing in a few traits on the side that are impractical against anything not following a predictable routine.

eSports!

Oh ok that's disappointing. When do you get into pvp? I'm level 18 atm.

AnacondaHL posted:

If you are just casting Fireball with the occasional Meteor Shower weaved in then you are nowhere close to the most effective way of playing Staff Elementalist. There is no game design failure here (not yet at least).

It's efficient enough to kill everything without too much trouble, of course I cast the 2 and 3 when they're off cooldown, and 4 when someone's in my face, but other than that I don't see what the other attunements would bring to the table.

• Locked thread