Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Four more wins, boys.

Pitching
Seaver
deGrom
Plank
Hernandez (94 OVR)

MU Hernandez (93 OVR)
CL Rivera
SU Romo
SR Familia
SR Ryan
MR Smith
LR Halladay (93 OVR)

* Remove all personal catcher assignments.

vs RHP
pre:
2B Collins		2B Collins
1B Thomas		1B Thomas
LF Ramirez		LF Ramirez
RF Guerrero		RF Guerrero
CF Cobb			CF Cobb
DH Mays			 C Piazza
SS Banks		3B Santo
3B Santo		SS Banks
 C Piazza		SP
vs LHP
pre:
2B Collins		2B Collins
1B Thomas		1B Thomas
LF Ramirez		LF Ramirez
RF Guerrero		RF Guerrero
CF Cobb			CF Mays
DH Mays			 C Piazza
SS Banks		3B Santo
3B Santo		SS Banks
 C Piazza		SP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Holy poo poo

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Oh, also, that was really good Smasher. Thank you for running the SL!

e: McFreeze also!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Rotation (bad): 3.54 ERA
Bullpen (good): 12.15 ERA

Conclusion:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Death, Taxes, and the Doom losing the SLDS

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Okay, we can do this guys. We can be more successful than Sheamus! We BO-LIEVE.

code:
25 Man roster:

C	Bill Dickey
1B	Jimmie Foxx
2B	Buddy Myer
3B 	George Kell
SS	Arky Vaughan
LF	Babe Herman
CF	Joe DiMaggio
RF	Harry Heilmann

Bench	
OF  Platoon partner of Herman/Hafey
C	Platoon partner of Bill Dickey/Ernie Lombardi
SS	Cecil Travis
OF      Bob Johnson
2B/OF	Riggs Stephenson
LF	Willie Stargell

Pitchers	
SP	Rick Reuschel
SP	Don Sutton
SP	Mel Stottlemyer
SP	John Smoltz
SP	Babe Adams
RP	Lindy McDaniel
RP	Pedro Borbon
RP	Tim Burke
RP	Ron Reed
SP	Chief Bender
RP	Jerry Koosman
code:
Lineups:

no DH, vs. RHP/LHP
1. 2B Buddy Myer
2. SS Arky Vaughan
3. CF Joe DiMaggio
4. C Bill Dickey
5. 1B Jimmie Foxx
6. RF Harry Heilmann
7. LF Babe Herman
8. 3B George Kell
9. Pitcher

vs. DH, vs. both RHP/LHP - changes!
1. 2B Buddy Myer
2. SS Arky Vaughan
3. CF Joe DiMaggio
4. 1B Jimmie Foxx
5. RF Harry Heilmann
6. C Ernie Lombardi
7. DH Chick Hafey
8. LF Bob Johnson
9. 3B George Kell
code:
Pitching staff:

Rotation:
1. Rick Reuschel
2. Mel Stottlemyer
3. Babe Adams
4. John Smoltz

Bullpen:
Closer: Pedro Borbon
Setup: Chief Bender
Short Relief: Tim Burke
Short Relief: Lindy McDaniel
Middle Relief: Ron Reed
Long Relief: Jerry Koosman
Mop up: Don Sutton

No personal catchers!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I kind of hope that Chick Hafey hits a game-winning home run in game 7.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hey y'all, i love the super league and just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work everyone does on the updates and running things.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Holy hell I just got the time to read that recap.

I know I say it all the time, but: that was brilliant, Smasher. I am constantly in awe of your creativity and writing. The Super League is a constant joy in my life, even though my team sucks. It's so appreciated.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Expansion Teams Pick 'em! :siren:
The Gauntlet, Round 1
Pick TWO!

Idaho Potatoes
Seattle Cagey Bees

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
While I constantly reconsider my participation in the Super-League due to being objectively terrible at it, I have never regretted the time taken to read the game recaps. Smasher, McFreeze, and all of the assembled guest writers are astounding.

I've written things for which I have gotten paid actual money by professional publications and yet I still look at Super-League recaps in awe.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Expansion Teams Pick 'em!
The Gauntlet, Round 1

Idaho Potatoes
The Gay Agenda

thanks

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Ice To Meet You posted:

Rotation (bad): 3.54 ERA
Bullpen (good): 12.15 ERA

Conclusion:

I'd say it's a life lesson about the importance of bullpens, except your bullpen isn't all that bad. So maybe there is no lesson, except life's unfai-HEY Smasher was right!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
The life lesson is never bet on the Doom to win the Divisional Series.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mornacale posted:

The life lesson is never bet on the Doom to win the Divisional Series.

Contrary to what your biological father told you shortly before skipping town, betting strategies are not life lessons.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Once more unto the brink.

If you're just tuning in, it's time to cull the herd of all the worthless teams and make room for your new worthless teams next season. 4 teams will enter this 40-game-long deathmatch. The top 2 records will survive. The bottom 2 teams? Well, you'll probably be seeing their players again very soon.

Oh man... only the first round and we already have such drama! What's going to happen here?

Mick Freese posted:

CAGEY BEES HOLD ON, FRY TATERS THANKS TO PEOPLE'S GEM

Idaho City - This was it. After a long season and Gauntlet, it would all come down to one game. With the Cagey Bees and Potatoes tied in the standings, the winner of this final game would advance to Round 2, while the loser would be going home, a sadly familiar feeling for both of these two long-suffering owners.

Each team had their ace on the mound, the Potatoes going to Mariners legend Felix Hernandez. The game started inauspiciously, as George Sisler took the first pitch fastball around the foul pole for a leadoff home run. But remember, the Seattle defense is what killed them all year, as Barry Bonds would reach on an infield single in the bottom of the inning, and later come around to score on a passed ball, tying the game at 1.

But Felix's troubles with the home run ball continued, as Jim Edmonds, in as a sub for the injured Ken Williams, knocked two out of the park, giving Pungry's crew the 3-1 lead. And the People's Left-Hander did the rest. Not having the home run trouble that the Potato pitchers did, he decided to say "gently caress defense" and just start striking batters out, finishing with 8 in the game.

The Potatoes tried to rally in the bottom of the ninth - but only one Babe Ruth managed to get a hit, and only one Babe Ruth would not be enough for them this day. Ol' Lefty completed the game, ensuring the Cagey Bees would live to see another day, and Grinnblade would be relegated once again.

"Dammit!" Grinnblade commented after the game, "McFreeze was right! I should have traded Jarrod Dyson to him! Why didn't I listen to McFreeze? Why???"

Box Score

Team Statistics

I'm sure there's someone here who is saddened by these events. Probably.

Well, you win some, you lose some.

Big Peopley did it!

Well, if Donaldson can do that, suddenly it's a pretty good lineup.

Pick 'em: The Gauntlet, Round 2
Pick TWO!

Achewood Stoned Lightning
Dusty Baker's Base Cloggers
Seattle Cagey Bees
Small Market Superstars

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
gently caress the haters!!!

But I'm sorry, Grinnblade. Wish it didn't have to be your team.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Pick'em

Lightning and Superstars

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Pungry posted:

gently caress the haters!!!

But I'm sorry, Grinnblade. Wish it didn't have to be your team.

THE COLD POTATOES EXPLODE!

oh wait they already did

gently caress

(honestly though I almost said something to the effect of "WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU ALL CHOOSING ME" to everyone who did because it says a lot that I went 20-19 with TWO loving RUTHS)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I feel justified in making GBS threads on Salvador Perez in my preview now.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Pick TWO!
Small Market Superstars

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Pick TWO!

Seattle Cagey Bees

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Pick TWO!

Dusty Baker's Superstars!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Pick TWO!
Small Market Superstars

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

How come Lester didn't pitch? Did it default to most rested and just kept doing 1-4?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Harlock posted:

How come Lester didn't pitch? Did it default to most rested and just kept doing 1-4?

Pretty much. The game doesn't have a 4-team 40-game schedule, so it makes one up. And the one it makes up only has 3 or 4 games per week. So there are always enough rest days to skip the 5th guy.

Clangbang
Jun 3, 2016
Superstars
Stoned Lightning

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XIX, Dynamo League Divisional Series: South Dakota Marmosets vs. Sindhi Sheikhs

Nuts and Bolts

The Marmosets are probably the weakest of the eight teams that made it to the first round of the playoffs. In fact, 'probably' is being a bit kinder than I ought to be. They had the fewest wins of any team in this round, and are the only one of these teams that has never won a division title at some point.

That said, it's not like the Marmosets are a bad team. After all, they've been hanging around the Super-League for a while now, and while you can coast in some divisions by being a middling team, that's not really possible in the Sic Transit Vir, which has been competitive lately. To their credit, in a division where everyone finished with a winning record, the Marmosets still managed to snag a wildcard.

What the Marmosets have going for them is having a lot of interesting pieces. Do they all fit together? That's a tough question, but guys like Honus Wagner, HoWilliams Monsoon, Cool Papa Bell, Rogers Hornsby, and so on, they're interesting players. These are guys that you can almost see them forming into a really good and fun nucleus. It hasn't quite worked out for them to this point, but you have to be at least a little intrigued as to what these guys could accomplish, if everything breaks right.

As far as the pitching goes, it's actually been very impressive. Keep in mind, the Marmosets are rolling out the worst conceivable infield defense of Monsoon/Wagner/Hornsby/Lajoie. That's a lot of errors. In fact, in every game of this series, that infield made at least one error. But the Marmosets' pitching has still been above-average. That says a lot. The bullpen is actually decent. I've made a lot of jokes about Baker giving up runs at the worst possible time, but part of the reason that she gives up a fair number of runs is that she pitches a lot. She had close to 100 innings in relief, and was the best reliever on the Marmosets.

Like they have been, the Marmosets have potential, and have had some success, and we're all just waiting to see what Zodiac5000 is going to do next. Besides get absolutely hammered and call Pash to pick him up, of course.

Basically, the Sheikhs and Kernels have the same basic design, so there's not a lot to add to what I wrote about them a few days ago.

The Sheikhs do operate a bit differently than the Kernels, admittedly. The Kernels, outside of the Masked Shortstop, have basically punted on defense, with the expectation being that the Masked Shortstop alone will help the stifle the other team's offense down enough to just bash them to death. The Sheikhs are less willing to play outright bad defenders, and, actually, at the end of this season, are going even farther in that direction by getting Mike Schmidt to play third base at least some of the time. As a result, the Sheikhs give up fewer runs than anyone else in the league despite not having a great rotation on paper. Defense does matter, guys.

On offense, the Kernels stack a lot of great hitters together, figuring that, if you have enough offensive talent, and bundle it together, great things are bound to happen. That's not a bad theory, and it's worked for them. The Sheikhs, not having the same sort of depth of hitters, instead concentrate on just clustering a few great power hitters together, under the theory that, given enough time, the opposing pitcher will make a mistake, and then they will make him pay. That's a risky strategy in a vaccuum, but given how few runs their own pitchers allow, it can work, and it does work. And, for the record, it even works in gimmick stadiums, as shown by the Sheikhs routing the Zephyrs in Hoboken to close out the regular season.

The Sheikhs don't have an exciting team, but they do have a technically sound team. They're not going to beat you by trickery or anything like that, they are going to beat you with power and defense. Facing a team like the Panderers, an owner probably thinks to himself 'if I had home-field advantage, I could beat these guys', and they might be right. Against a team like the Sheikhs or the Kernels, if you want to beat them, you're just going to have to build a good team.

The Epic Cycle posted:

Now when the regular season in its robes of crimson had sped from the world, Beet reached the Sheikhs' locker room with the final components to repair the MACHINE that Smasher had given him. He found the MACHINE fallen and inactive. "My MACHINE," spoke Beet, "it is heaven's will that the Masked Shortstop must fall. Therefore, accept from Smasher these rich and goodly repairs, which no man or MACHINE has ever yet received." As he spoke, he completed the repairs, and the MACHINE rang out bravely as Beet did so. The Sheikhs were struck with awe, and none dared look full at it, for they were afraid, but MACHINE was roused to still greater power, and its eyes, one of one, and one of three, gleamed with a fierce light, for it was glad when it activated the splendid present which Smasher had made for it. Then, as soon as it had satisfied itself with diagnostics, it said to Beet: "Failure Unit Beet, Smasher has given MACHINE repairs, such that no mortal owner could have fasioned. I will now arm, but MACHINE is concerned at the possibility that the Zephyrs will defeat Rival Team Kernels, so that MACHINE cannot fulfill its purpose."

Old Milwaukee-drinking Beet answered, "MACHINE, be not disquieted about this matter. The Zephyrs are slain. Our series may last for a whole year, but the Kernels shall be waiting for us, sound as ever, or even sounder. Call, therefore, the Sheikhs to assemble. Unsay all doubts about this team, arm at once, and fight with might and main."

The heart of the MACHINE was set on meeting the Masked Shortstop, shortstop of the Kernels, for it was in its hardware that it longed above all things else to glut its greatest rival. Meanwhile, Smasher set Zodiac5000 on to attack the Sheikhs, and put courage in his heart, speaking with the voice of SOdak itself. In that state's likeness therefore, he said to Zodiac5000, "Zodiac5000, heart of the Triad, where are now the brave words with which you vaunted over your Dr. Pepper and Bourbon before forzelt and Pash, saying that you would fight Beet, owner of the Sheikhs, in a series?"

And Zodiac5000 answered, "Why do you thus bid me fight the rock of the Sic Transit Vir, when I am in no mind to do? Were I to face him now, it would not be for the first time. His team has already put me to right in serveral seasons, when he knocked us near to relegation. Smasher indeed saved me in that he vouchsafed me strength to endure, else had the fallen by the hands of Marauder, who came to the league to assault me, and urged Smasher to cause us to fall. No team may fight Beet, for the MACHINE is always with him as his guardian angel, and even were it not so, his team strikes true, and fails not to reach the playoffs. If Smasher would let me fight him on even terms he should not soon overcome me, though he boasts his team is made of iron."

Then said Smasher, in the guise of Sodak, "Nay, Zodiac5000, pray to Smasher, for men say that you were born of Sodka's golden expanse, whereas Beet is son of a lesser realm. Sodak is the land of the corn and the soy, while Milwaukee is a sinking relic. Bring, therefore, your team to bear upon him, and let him not scare you with his taunts and menaces."

As he spoke, he put courage into the heart of the shepherd of the Triad, and Zodiac5000 strode into the divisional round. The earth rang again under the tramp of the Marmosets and Sheikhs as they rushed towards each other, and two owners, by far foremost of them all, met between the teams to fight- to wit, Zodiac5000, son of the Golden Expanse, and noble Beet.

Zodiac5000 was the first to stride forward in attack, his doughty team tossing defiance as he scored three runs in the first. He held his strong pitching before him, and brandished his powerul lineup. The Sheikhs, from the other side, sprang forth with three runs to meet him like some fierce lion the whole countryside has met to hunt and kill, at first he bodes no ill, but when some daring youth has struck him with a spear, he crouches openmouthed, his jaws foam, and he hits a dinger.

When they were now close up with one another, Beet was the first to speak. "Zodiac5000," said he, "why do you stand thus out in the playoffs to fight me? Is it that you hope to reign over the Dynamo League in the seat of CFBalla? Nay, though you defeat me, CFBalla will not hand his league over to you. He is a man of sound judgment, and still has a team of his own for the moment. Or have the Kernels been alloting you a demesne of prize players, fair with pitching and hitting, if you should slay me? This you shall hardly do. I have discomfited you many times already. Have you forgotten how I nearly chased you from this league itself? I sacked your team, and caused a great many hurts, thoguh Smasher rescued you. You think he will protect you now, but they will not do so, therefore I say go back into the ranks of the Super-League and do not face me, or you will rue it. Even a fool may be wise after the event."

Then Zodiac5000 answered, "Beet, think not that your words can scare me as though I were a child. I too, if I will, can brag and talk unseemly, as though I were a thresher. We know one another's origins as matters of common fame. Men say that you are great owner of our age, that you time with the Dervishes of times past made thee so. Learn, no, my lineage if you will, and it is known to many.

"In the beginning, Sodak was great void, bereft of men and dreams, for it had not yet stabilised as a plain for men to dwell in. But as time flew forward, like the arrow of the chaste moon, the people streamed forth, to fill the vast abyss of Sodak wit a field of gold, but not the gold that creates lust in the hearts of men for more of itself, but the gold of cereal and foodgrain, more precious yet than gold in times of hunger and desperation. And as the men shaped Sodak, so too did Sodak shape the men, and turn them into the famed men of the fields who would range about the empty plains with no loneliness in their hearts or weakness in their souls, and he instructed them on the matters of hotdish and walking tacos, for they wrere his chosen people."

"Such do I declare my blood and lineage. But, as for valor, Smasher gives it or takes it as he will, for he is lord of this league. And now let there be no more of this prating in mid-battle as though we were children. We could fling taunts without end at one another: a hundred-oard galley would not hold them. He tongue can run all whithers an talk all wise: it can go here and there, and as a man says, so shall he be gainsaid. No words of yours shall turn me now that I fain to fight, therefore, let us make trial of one another with our teams."

Beet, in this turn, cast forth his team, and the struck the pitching of Zodiac5000 in the late innings, where they were thinnest. The bats of the Sheikhs went clean through, and the Marmosets rang under the blow. Zodiac5000 was afraid, and crouched backwards, holding his team away from the Sheikhs, as the Sheikhs won 7-6. Then the Sheiks sprang furiously upon the Marmosets, with a cry as of death and with their keen bats drawn, and the Marmosets fell again 2-1.

Now when they came to the first game in Sodak, the golden expanse, Beet stood leading in games by two. One he had won 7-6, the next 2-1. So was the great expanse filled with the uproar of hitters and pitchers, all struggling in confusion before the Sheikhs.

The Sheikhs drew their keen bats, and prepared to strike, vaunting into Sodak, and saying, "Lie here among the fields, who will be nourished by your blood, and gloat over it. Your mothers will not travel here to mourn you, but the plains of Sodak shall bear you into the bottomless depths. There shall the crops grow from you as the stretch their roots downwards. So perish all of you until I reach the citadel of Mitchell. This golden expanse shall serve you in no stead, for all the walking tacos you offered him, and all the hot dish you baked in his name. Nonetheless miserably shall you perish til there is not a man of you but has paid in full for Balla's use of that envelope in times past and his other trespasses against me.

So spoke Beet, but across him, Chelsea Baker grew more and more angry, and pondered within herself how she would stay the hand of Beet, and gently caress his rear end up. For Beet would have slain the Marmosets then and there, had not universe, in rage, taken human form in the name of Chelsea Baker, and spoken to Beet from out the golden expanse saying, "Beet, if you excel all in strength, so do you also in wickedness, for Smasher is ever with you to protect you. If then, Smasher, has vouchsafed it to you to destroy the Marmosets, and, you know what, gently caress it, time to loving die!"

Beet turned to MACHINE, and bit it forward, and MACHINE answered, "So be it, Blown Save Unit Baker, but MACHINE will never cease dealing out defeat among the Dynamo League until MACHINE and eliminated the Marmosets, and made trial fo the Masked Shortstop face to face, that MACHINE may learn whether the Masked Shortstop is to vanquish MACHINE, or MACHINE thim."

MACHINE sprang forward on its many legs, whereon Baker raised a high knuckleball and attacked it. She fired her pitches with fell intent, and tried sweep away the Sheikhs. The great and terrible pitches gathered about the MACHINE, falling upon it, and nearly striking him with a pitch, so that it could not keep its many claws planted in the earth, whereby the MACHINE struggled out of the batter's box, and fled in confusion, for it was afraid for the first time.

But Baker ceased not in her pursuit, and sprang up the MACHINE from the pitcher's mound, to crush its hands, and save the Marmosets from elimination. The MACHINE darted away another pitch's through at it, swift as the swoop of Storm Eagle, which is the strongest and fleetest of Mavericks. As often as MACHINE would strive to stand its ground, and swee whether or not all the gods in heaven were in league against it, so often would Baker come beating down upon its shoulders, and the MACHNE would have to keep moving on in great dismay, for the angry Baker was burning through its power supplies.

Then the MACHINE lifted its voice to heaven saying, "Smasher, what is purpose of MACHINE's destruction here? MACHINE does not care what is the final disposition of MACHINE. You informed MACHINE, however, that MACHINE was to be destroyed by the Macho Men. Even that the Masked Shortstop, the best baseball unit among the Kernels, might destroy MACHINE, then MACHINE's destruction would complete its purpose. MACHINE being destroyed by Blown Save Unit Baker does not complete MACHINE's purpose."

As soon as it has spoken thus, Smasher came up to him in the likeness of a great raging fireball. "MACHINE, be not so exceeding fearful. It is not your fate to perish at the hands of Baker. She will abate presently, as you will see. Moreover I strongly advise you, if you will be guided by me, not to stay your hand from fighting till you have eliminated the Marmosets at all costs. Then kill the Masked Shorstop and return to Sindh, for I will vouchsafe you a triumph over him."

Encouraged and inspired by the words of Smasher, the MACHINE strove onwards towards Baker. Nevertheless, Baker did not slacken in her pursuit, but was still more furious with the MACHINE, saying, "I'm going to loving kill this motherfucking robot and then I'm going to kill you all, and I'm going to kill you all so much that there's not even going to be enough left for them to have a funeral, because you are all loving dead!"

On this, the MACHINE opened up its reactors, and kindled a nuclear fire, which broke out first upon the plain in front of Baker, and burned many of the Marmosets. Then he turned tongues of fire onto Baker. As she was consumed, she spoke, "Why the gently caress do you think you can do this to me. It's not my fault that I've got to loving kill you." She said, her flesh boiling as she spoke. She could pitch no longer, so afflicted was she by the blasts of nuclear fire which cunning MACHINE had raised. "loving bastard. I'll be back, and you'll pay. You hear me, you'll loving pay!" When she had spoken her last, the MACHINE quenched its flames, and the smoldering corpse of Baker fell upon the mound, and the Sheikhs did score seven runs in the result.

CFBalla stood on a high tower on the outskirts of Mitchell looking down at the MACHINE as the Marmosets broke and were eliminating from the playoffs, and there were no more teams between the MACHINE and the Masked Shortstop. Presently, he came down from off the ower, and with many a groan, went to th eKernels to give orders to his team. "Prepare yourselves," said he, "for the final battle. The MACHINE has driven the Marmosets to rout before it, and we are in great peril now. Prepare for the final trial between myself and Beet. Long have I deferred payment on the envelope, but I can defer it no longer."

And so did the MACHINE vanquish the sons of the Golden Expanse, and from their broken forms, Beet took the titles of Larkin-Downing and Hardcore, and added them to his treasures. For as the final battle dawned, Beet was the champion Intercontinental, European, United States, Canadian, Television, Hardcore, Larkin-Downing, and Tag Team. He was a champion seven-fold, his banner covered in gold.

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
The Marmosets led every single game in this series, and still got swept. Amazing. Also, holy poo poo, Beet has all the loving titles in the league right now. I'll wait to make any changes to my line-ups until after the final division series has been posted, but for now I will say this: we beat you last season, Sheikhs. We can do it again.

Masked Shortstop, prepare yourself for the final confrontation with The MACHINE.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

As random as the playoffs can be, I'm really glad we get to see a Beet/Balla matchup of otherworldly shortstops.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I had a lot of reading to do once I got back from camping and WOW this is the greatest thread.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pick TWO!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Finally got time to read the update.

Every season there's some point when I think to myself Smasher's set the bar too high, it'll never again be topped.

Iambic pentameter
An instantly classic D&D campaign featuring Spriggles
Last Night of the Syndicate

now in back to back updates you've gone from a self-help guide from the world's least motivational speaker to ANOTHER amazing epic, with Baker dropping the pretense partway through and the growing anticipation of the greatest battle between fictitious shortstops ever.

Plot, humor, deft handling of incredibly random topics...how the hell is this an LP about a baseball simulator?

Pander fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 11, 2016

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Baseball is life, my friend

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Forzelt posted:

Interesting offer but I have to wait till I get home tomorrow. Fairgame: Hafey wasn't interesting enough

Forzelt, did you ever get a chance to think about that three-way trade? Obviously it's not like we need to rush, but there's a lull in the thread so I want some SL-related action.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Last Night of the Syndicate is still the best. All this other stuff approaches Last Night of the Syndicate in quality, but I don't think that'll ever be topped. It was amazing.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Since its a quiet day I would just like to restate that Luke Appling is a terrible 3B.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I agree with Last Night of the Syndicate being the best. I'm also really glad that, with the threat of shortstop crippling grenades, we're still getting finality and closure to the Beet vs Balla saga.

White Envelopes, to Burnt Doritos, to Arcade MACHINE vengeance, all leading up to one final series.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

SmasherDynamo first off, thanks again. This is an awesome undertaking you have shouldered the burden for. We are truly not worthy. Speaking of being not worthy, is it possible to get a sneak peak of the EC Cup prize I won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

kensei posted:

SmasherDynamo first off, thanks again. This is an awesome undertaking you have shouldered the burden for. We are truly not worthy. Speaking of being not worthy, is it possible to get a sneak peak of the EC Cup prize I won?

Wasn't the EC prize the Super Grenade? At least that was what was hinted at.