Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

gandlethorpe posted:

Yeah, one of the things that turns me off of the series at first glance is the cramped feeling of the small screen. The other main thing is the inferior art style compared to the X series.

the art in zero is really good, though?? toru nakayama is a really awesome illustrator

unless you specifically mean the sprites, in which case, i dunno, i think they're cool. i don't think you'd be able to do the ps1 x-style sprites on a gba, and the look the snes games had would have been a bit goofy for the tone zero took

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I do mean the sprites. The general art style is great and fitting. It just didn't translate well to GBA. They try to show too much detail in too small sprites. I'm mainly talking about bosses, since boss design has always been one of the biggest draws for me when it comes to MM. A lot of them are kind of blobby.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's a universe out there where the first two parts of Omega were properly redone on the DS collection like how they were planned before GBA limitations kicked in.

I want to see that universe.

Elaboration?

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

The Colonel posted:

the art in zero is really good, though?? toru nakayama is a really awesome illustrator

unless you specifically mean the sprites, in which case, i dunno, i think they're cool. i don't think you'd be able to do the ps1 x-style sprites on a gba, and the look the snes games had would have been a bit goofy for the tone zero took

Yeah a lot of Nakayama's style gets lost in the sprites, especially Zero's sprite which has him in an odd hunched over position and with an odd bright orange-red as his default. I think they did a decent enough job though all things considered and a lot of the bosses do look quite nice.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Is using cyber-elves the only way to raise your max health (thereby lowering your score)?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

According to people I asked on social media earlier today : yes

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shovel Knight's in Gunvolt 2!

(as a boss fight)

(locked behind the Shovel Knight amiibo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4DlaJNeusc

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

gandlethorpe posted:

Is using cyber-elves the only way to raise your max health (thereby lowering your score)?

Sub tanks basically do the same thing, and Z2 gives you two of those for free if you explore the jungle stages. Z3 should too IIRC, and technically Z4 does but gently caress that game's crafting system.

Z3 and Z4 let you use some elves without penalty, too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can't remember if zero 3 does, actually, but zero 4 totally overhauls the elf system with croire and lets you use increasingly more without any penalty as the game progresses

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Seems like an odd design choice to make something a major part of the game and then discourage you from using it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

gandlethorpe posted:

Seems like an odd design choice to make something a major part of the game and then discourage you from using it.

zero 1 and 2 have lots of weird design choices, like making you level up weapons instead of starting with full basic movesets

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

That was my major issue with the zero games.

"Hey, here are all these cool effects you could have, and here's a pickup that's literally worthless unless you use that system, but if you actually use it we're going to lock you out of some special moves. They're hugely situational 90% of the time anyway, but there's no way you'd know that without spending time to get gud, at which point you don't need any of the cool stuff this mechanic unlocks. Good luck!"

I love the zero games and getting good enough at them to blitz through stages like a ninja for top scores is super satisfying but I never understood why the cyber elf system was included. You've already got weapon leveling in the early games to give people having trouble a little help with faster charges at max level, is an entirely separate system to boost health or not instadie to pits that requires you to go out of your way to find said help before penalizing you for daring to not be good enough really necessary?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The idea is that you're ideally supposed to be able to beat all the levels without needing extra bonuses, but if you can't do that then just use a powerup. You'll get a lower score, but it's not like the points really mean anything so who cares?

Unfortunately players really hate getting F's.

The Colonel posted:

i can't remember if zero 3 does, actually, but zero 4 totally overhauls the elf system with croire and lets you use increasingly more without any penalty as the game progresses

Z3 introduced Satellite elves.

The Colonel posted:

zero 1 and 2 have lots of weird design choices, like making you level up weapons instead of starting with full basic movesets

The entire Zero series is an example of developers wildly trying to compensate for the previous entry. Z2 tosses out the entire flexible mission structure of Z1, Z3 completely rehauls Z2's forms and EX skills, gets rid of weapons levels, and also throws in a new way to use cyber elves without penalty, and Z4 just straight up threw away everything for a whole new system.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Here's how I played the first Zero game as a kid: I used the cyber elves when I needed them. I loved the game so much I played it a couple more times with that file and when I felt I could handle the challenge, I started a new one with the goal of not using the elves. Finally I moved on to trying to get the EX skills.

By the time I got Zero 2 (which was right before Zero 3 came out), I didn't have to go through that progression anymore.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Shovel Knight's in Gunvolt 2!

(as a boss fight)

(locked behind the Shovel Knight amiibo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4DlaJNeusc

Okay, I really really really like Shovel Knight, but i'm not buying a loving DS, much less a doll to put on top of it.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 9, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I already have a DS and a doll to place on it so this is really cool!

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

How are the Gunvolt games? It seems like the mechanic to damage enemies is just a little too roundabout and can become tedious.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

JetpackHowwy posted:

How are the Gunvolt games? It seems like the mechanic to damage enemies is just a little too roundabout and can become tedious.

azure striker gunvolt is really good, it's not tailored very well towards casual play but the game gets really good as you get better at it

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JetpackHowwy posted:

Did you like the Megaman Zero games? It's like them but with an electricity gimmick to damage enemies. I think it's pretty fun, not as good as the Zero series but not bad for a first attempt. I'm looking forward to the sequel because of the second playable character playing more akin to X from the X series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BlitzBlast posted:

The idea is that you're ideally supposed to be able to beat all the levels without needing extra bonuses, but if you can't do that then just use a powerup. You'll get a lower score, but it's not like the points really mean anything so who cares?

Unfortunately players really hate getting F's.

It's loving insulting to tell someone they're playing the game wrong.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Did you like the Megaman Zero games? It's like them but with an electricity gimmick to damage enemies. I think it's pretty fun, not as good as the Zero series but not bad for a first attempt. I'm looking forward to the sequel because of the second playable character playing more akin to X from the X series.

i was already planning on buying gv2 when they release it on steam, if copen makes it play more like x then i'm totally grabbing it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Why?

Like... yes. There is a right way to play a game. Video games are games. Not all of them do but many are designed with rules, concepts and eventual endgames in mind. If you choose not to play in the sandbox the game provides that's totally your prerogative but that doesn't mean the game is designed with that in mind. It's nice when developers put thought processes for multiple playstyles in mind but games are designed with the idea you play them in a certain way.

I think Zero's design has problems in that it too harshly discourages things not just with poor scores but plotwise (you're murdering fairies) and rewardwise too, but merely the fact it grades you at the end of a stage isn't an insult unless you only want games that praise you.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Because when I grabbed a heart container or an sub-tank in Megaman X, the game didn't tell me I sucked for using them. Having a ranking system in the game that penalises you for using the rewards that are in the stages is dumb as hell.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
What's this? Games have mechanics and design choices that feature gameplay in certain directions and have failure/victory states and even...optimal playstyles that the design pushes you towards? How insulting it is for these to exist.

TaurusOxford posted:

Because when I grabbed a heart container or an sub-tank in Megaman X, the game didn't tell me I sucked for using them. Having a ranking system in the game that penalises you for using the rewards that are in the stages is dumb as hell.

This is slightly a more legitimate point but it's also dumb because those Subtanks were put there as crutches just in case the player screwed up/made a mistake and need a heal in the middle of a fight. That's literally the entire reason they exist so it's not crazy for the game to say "Yeah you got through, but you needed that little boost so you didn't exactly do it perfectly" and then give you a non-perfect score.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 10, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't really agree. (Though I think Zero had execution problems which I've mentioned before.)

The thing is that it's possible to design items-as-handicaps. DMC for example does this. You can find items in stages that are incredibly powerful and allow you to brute-force most bosses, especially on the game's default difficulty level. At this point you have a few options:

A) Don't punish item usage in score at which point it deemphasizes other elements of the game because why bother mastering mechanics and dodging when you can pop 9 Holy Waters and then facetank a boss's remaining HP?
B) Design all bosses around item usage being a thing which probably will mean increased damage, higher HP and so-on which throws off the balance of the game and can potentially wreck difficulty curves
C) Punish item usage which has the twin goal of adding an optional handicap for players who need it to get by while encouraging them to improve within the context of the game.

The latter *is* necessary. Games that have powerful optional choices but no punishment for using them universally have people lean on them and go "the game didn't tell me not to, the game sucks!" Figuring out how to offer handicaps to lower-skill players while incentivising players to not lean on those handicaps is a difficult problem in gaming.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Lurdiak posted:

good

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is slightly a more legitimate point but it's also dumb because those Subtanks were put there as crutches just in case the player screwed up/made a mistake and need a heal in the middle of a fight. That's literally the entire reason they exist so it's not crazy for the game to say "Yeah you got through, but you needed that little boost so you didn't exactly do it perfectly" and then give you a non-perfect score.

The weird things is (outside of the first game where they're tied to elf usage) Subtanks are a crutch that doesn't penalize you.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They only give you two as pickups, the other two are still from elves.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

The weird things is (outside of the first game where they're tied to elf usage) Subtanks are a crutch that doesn't penalize you.

They technically do, in that if you reached the point where you have to use a subtank you've probably taken enough damage that your score will have taken a hit.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Lurdiak posted:

Wowza that's a whole lot of insulting games :eyepop:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lessail posted:

Wowza that's a whole lot of insulting games :eyepop:

I'll have you know that as a masochist and a pacifist, games that punish you for taking damage or not killing enemies are incredibly insulting to me because :suicide:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
zero 3 is the best zero game because it's cool and fun and sick jumps and also the satellite elf system is the best.

elpizo's theme (this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vceTwcu6ik ) is the best song in the series.

megaman zero owns. god bless

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

alcharagia posted:

zero 3 is the best zero game because it's cool and fun and sick jumps and also the satellite elf system is the best.

elpizo's theme (this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vceTwcu6ik ) is the best song in the series.

megaman zero owns. god bless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhYoOU_b_lI

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zero 2 has the best intro stage ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxbEoUAqtAs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still hate Zero's redesign in those games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lurdiak posted:

i like it more than his x design. zero looks goofy in x, i think his cleaner look fits the zero series better

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

You're making it hard to love seeing you post :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My big problem with the MMZ design is they changed most of his body to black but kept the white crotchplate so it really looks like he's got a diaper on or something. They should have gone with a darker color instead since they did white-to-black for the rest of his design.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh, zero and zx probably have my favorite character design work in the series, outside of legends. classic and x have some designs i really like but i think zero and zx have the most consistently good design work all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

i like it more than his x design. zero looks goofy in x, i think his cleaner look fits the zero series better

Zero's look in the original SNES X games is the coolest thing my kid self ever saw. It got kinda stupid in the playstation games with the gigantic feet, but it was still really cool. I just can't associate that with his dumb anemic design in the Zero games. I get that they were going for a new art style, but they didn't need to completely change everything iconic about his look. Hell, he's not even really red anymore, he's kinda orange.