Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

It seems next eps bad guy is going to be the apostle that Guts killed right after the Eclipse? Also they're in some sort of manor filled with mounted animal heads - one of which I assume will take the place of rapehorse, or at least give us an Evil Dead sort of moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Berserk (2016) is a money laundering scheme.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Lol.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I want that lower picture posted on my gravestone, cause that poo poo is killing me right now. Holy poo poo :lol:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This show is awful.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Every time they show a flashback the animation turns tolerable. Then the flashback ends and it is back to the lovely amateur CG.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The weird thing is it's still better than Knights of Sidonia, which I found unwatchable, but I had no expectations for a Knights of Sidonia CG adaption. Whereas with Berserk I thought they'd do better.

What I would give for Sanzigen or Kamikaze Douga to be doing the CG in this show instead. Those studios have been around long enough to actually make a decent attempt at anime CG. Whereas I've never heard of the studio they're currently using.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The animation director deserves to be encased in cement, dropped into a river and forced into a time-loop encased in said cement.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mooom gattts punched meeee

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I thought it was a noted improvement on ep.1. That is all.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

They're probably dealing with pretty lovely rigs for those side characters and the animator couldn't make it look better if he tried.

That's the problem with CG production. It can look amazing but it relies on so many departments doing a great job, instead of one animator just drawing the thing to look good.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

Berserk (2016) is a money laundering scheme.

I wondered if this were actually the case, or if it were some sort of Fantastic Four-esque bid to secure the rights to Berserk but just to own them and not necessarily to do anything noteworthy with them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

At least we got/will get Hai Yo out of it.

e: We should have gotten this too

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 9, 2016

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Deified Data posted:

or if it were some sort of Fantastic Four-esque bid to secure the rights to Berserk but just to own them and not necessarily to do anything noteworthy with them.

It's very possible that the producers of the anime had to pay a huge sum of money for the Berserk license alone and didn't have the resources left to produce a quality adaptation as a result.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
JoJo was pretty good last night.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

At least we got/will get Hai Yo out of it.

e: We should have gotten this too

Chestnut Puck was a mistake.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Incorrect

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Puck is important

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I love puck

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deified Data posted:

I thought it was a noted improvement on ep.1. That is all.

Yeah y'all are a bunch of meanies. It wasn't perfect but I enjoyed episode 2 a whole lot.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Rodyle posted:

Puck is important

I'll admit Puck was way more tolerable in this episode, he's actually starting to grow on me. In general, this episode was much better than the first one, I thought. That said, if you have no idea what Berserk is all about, the new anime a horrible way to get introduced to the series. They're quickly glossing over a ton of essential backstory, which (I assume) will be brought up in those continuous flashback sequences.

I'm still upset that the Apostle Wyald will never be animated. Just like the old show, they basically re-wrote him out of the story entirely, along the Lost Children arc. I can't even imagine the conversations the producers had about including such questionable/explicit content. I guess we'll have to be satisfied with "Berserk Lite," but an X-rated uncut Berserk would be a joy to see.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jedah posted:

I'll admit Puck was way more tolerable in this episode, he's actually starting to grow on me. In general, this episode was much better than the first one, I thought. That said, if you have no idea what Berserk is all about, the new anime a horrible way to get introduced to the series. They're quickly glossing over a ton of essential backstory, which (I assume) will be brought up in those continuous flashback sequences.

I'm still upset that the Apostle Wyald will never be animated. Just like the old show, they basically re-wrote him out of the story entirely, along the Lost Children arc. I can't even imagine the conversations the producers had about including such questionable/explicit content. I guess we'll have to be satisfied with "Berserk Lite," but an X-rated uncut Berserk would be a joy to see.
I can't tell if you read the manga or not

Wyald is hands down the worst, most pointless part of Berserk

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hes a gratuitous character but its a good fight and story arc.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
wyald is good (and the other apostles before they became pussies) and complements the Idea of Evil well. a different, nihilistic extreme

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Rodyle posted:

I guess it was to show that Guts has become strong enough to take down an Apostle and make him appropriately weak and beaten down for the Eclipse? He also broke Guts' sword

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Hes a gratuitous character but its a good fight and story arc.

Also this

However, the whole escape sequence did take a bit too long because of him.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wyald is not super important in Berserk overall but his mini-arc is kind of important for the impact it has, and serving to transition between the GoT-esque Golden Age and the more violent post-Eclipse stuff. I feel like a good adaptation would include him but cut/severely reduce the rapey stuff (really, something a good adaptation would do in general imo).

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Brutally murdering that one family was really unnecessary but it did make me hate the character more than anything in the world so good job I guess?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Rodyle posted:

I can't tell if you read the manga or not
Pointless? Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Wyald forced the Band of the Hawks to recognize that their leader was human, completely vulnerable, and no longer able to fight or lead. Until that point, they all believed Griffith could be saved. The situation triggered an important turning point, and everybody was forced to acknowledge that Griffith would never return to his former glory. Griffith (the human) was helpless, desperate, and needed other people to protect him. There was no going back. Don't you think Griffith's feelings of helplessness played a role when he decided to use the red behelit? Wyald was the cruel "reality check" that needed to happen. It was the final nail in the coffin before the eclipse, and the appearance of the Godhands. As a side note, Wyald also helped to show that the King had a horrific dark side, since Wyald and the Black Dog Knights were his personal death squad. I liked seeing the full picture of the King. In the anime, we saw nothing like that.

And finally, it was one of the best moments for Zodd the Immortal, who looked like a complete loving badass at the end of the arc.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 9, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Having seen this conversation circle the drain before, I'm gonna humbly suggest we move on from it. Wyald's place in Berserk, thematically or otherwise, is one of the more frequently contested aspects of the series, and I feel like by this point everyone knows everyone else's position and nobody's gonna back down. A thread like this either goes nowhere, or goes down in flames.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Instead, now that we've finally reached the island, what do you guys suppose is gonna be their next move? Beyond helping Casca, I mean.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Alternatively, talk about Corkus because Corkus owns.

:rip: Corkus.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

No one is ever going to rock that center-parted hair quite like Corkus did.

:rip:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I imagine Guts will have to fight off Griffith's demon army on Skellig Isle to end this and then he'll set off on his way to Falconia

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 9, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Instead, now that we've finally reached the island, what do you guys suppose is gonna be their next move? Beyond helping Casca, I mean.

Dumbledore mentioned that Griffith has been attacking spirt tree sanctuaries around the world so presumably yeah there's going to be some kind of demonic incursion. Though I imagine that the different flow of time will also play into fast forwarding whatever Rickert, Daiba, and the assassins are up to.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Additionally, it's probably about time we got to see Skull Knight again. Last we saw of him, he "inadvertently" let Fantasia happen and then boom, gone without a word.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Seeing whitewashed Casca in the new anime got me thinking: where is Casca from exactly? All the people around Midland and Chuder and other Holy See nations are more or Caucasian and the only people with different features and skin color are the Kushans. I'm fairly certain Casca is not related to them in any way or her reaction to the assassins at least would have been different. Is Casca just a freak with a darker skin or did Miura have a more racially diverse world planned at some point but then he scrapped it/forgot about it and Casca is just Casca now? That would at least make her new look make more sense.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Donovan, Casca, Pippin, Boscone, and Locus are all ambiguously brown/black/darker-skinned. Given Berserk's setting is more or less fantasy Europe, I'd imagine they or their ancestors hail from some border region near wherever Not!Africa is supposed to be.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

So, this is going to sound like the most grasping at straws reasoning possible, but in Casca's flashback her father definitely has a much darker complexion while her mother is white. My imagining is that her father was a Kushan who had immigrated to one of the border areas of Midland or some part of Berserk-Europe and ended up marrying one of the locals. Everyone's been complaining so much about Casca being whitewashed in the anime, and the counter-argument is usually something along the lines of "well, Casca's race is never brought up, it doesn't matter," but that's actually precisely why it's interesting in a western set fantasy story. Medieval Europe didn't have a conception of race in the same way the modern world does, and Casca has never referred to her complexion because it's simply not relevant to her identity whatsoever. She was born in Midland or somewhere in not-Europe, she speaks the language natively, it's not something anyone ever brings up.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i hope lucca is super cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I feel like the end game for Berserk gets brought up a lot because it feels so unpredictable. Sure, the elf king could go "here, have the power to slay the God Hand" and Guts goes "awyeah" and kicks down the door, stabs Griffith with a one-liner AND a sword, makes out with Casca, surfs into the sunset on Zodd's corpse re-fashioned into the first motorcycle, credits. But I doubt anyone expects such a simple ending. Rather than following the expected plot beats, Berserk is so tremendously character-driven - I think the only way we can guess the ending is by extrapolating from the characters involved. ESPECIALLY Casca, which is the biggest missing piece right now. Whatever happens, it'll change everything (...for the gang).

So, going by that... I think something really bad is going to happen. The way things are right now? If, miraculously, the Elf King fixes Casca, she stays kinda stable and Griffith doesn't interfere any further, I could see Guts actually trying to stay out of it. Maybe something similar happens, even, but the Skull Knight somehow makes him continue the fight (dude clearly has issues with Void, and definitely holds a grudge that survived centuries). Who knows. Perhaps the strange duality of Moon Child / reincarnated Griffith plays a role.
As for Griffith: I think now that he's more or less king of an even more hosed-up world, his fate will mirror his fall before the eclipse. Right now, he could leave things as they are, but something will cause him to make a mistake. Something self-destructive on a tremendous scale. Since the God Hand are entities of fate, they pretty much just know how things will turn out, pretty much making them invincible... with one key exception: an eclipse. I believe Griffith's decisive fuckup, due to entirely personal reasons, will lead to another eclipse, during which all he has built goes to hell... again. That doesn't even mean he gets killed, just that his kingdom crumbles. If he really does repeat his fall, it'll almost certainly be due to Griffith (not that the whole Sonia situation isn't a ticking timebomb).

I could see all of Falconia going to hell (literally???), ultimately dragging down both Griffith and Guts. Guts manages to let go of revenge/rage in some way, might be he dies in the end, though I'd be very very sad about that. And the one who ultimately takes down Griffith will be Casca, or even Rickert - both would be thematically fitting.
In any case, there'll be hella sweet swordfights