Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Okay, so I tried Shen's DLC for the first time. Got everyone in the (first) elevator, it did the elevator cutscene, and then it crashed. Tested it twice.

Any idea whats causing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Any mods?

Also IIRC that's a known issue too. The DLCs can be buggy. Jade even had a soft freeze when a ruler took a reaction but died to DoT damage wherein he could do nothing.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
gently caress. So much cool poo poo for this game came out and I dont get to play it because I'm getting hosed by the pure virtual error bug after the 2nd mission :gonk:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Lunethex posted:

Any mods?

Also IIRC that's a known issue too. The DLCs can be buggy. Jade even had a soft freeze when a ruler took a reaction but died to DoT damage wherein he could do nothing.

Looks like turning off 'recovery turn system' got me to the next room. That's weird as hell.

Ill keep the thread updated.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

God damnit what did the mod makers do now.

Tried the LW Laser pack. The research shows up, but not the weapons. Noticed some mods went missing and were...reuploaded I guess? That's what the mod launcher reported anyway.

Either way, before I've even started a mission, I'm pretty sure I'm about to get bugged out and crash.

edit. Yep just got treated to the underside of the Avenger, again.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 9, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Loel posted:

Okay, so I tried Shen's DLC for the first time. Got everyone in the (first) elevator, it did the elevator cutscene, and then it crashed. Tested it twice.

Any idea whats causing it?

That mission is buggy as gently caress. Don't even bother with it until firaxis gets around to fixing it, the reward isn't worth the headache.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fister Roboto posted:

That mission is buggy as gently caress. Don't even bother with it until firaxis gets around to fixing it, the reward isn't worth the headache.

The best thing about it is Julian bitching every time he misses a shot (which is nearly every shot) and going "STOMP STOMP STOMP". Sparks are real underwhelming.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Now this is a Legend start I can get behind. Squad was on point and I did so much aggressive flanking that I still had two grenades leftover. Though I really need to get it into my head that the tall black Advent blocks aren't destructible.

But then I get a Scientist as my first scanning reward... well I better get an Engineer for either the second scan, or as the Guerilla reward, otherwise that AWC is gonna take 42 days.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I don't like the Julian voice for the spark.

He's great as an antagonist, but as a spark voice, it's like oh look, he's "the sarcastic one".

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Well poo poo.

I had an increased pod size mod that now doesn't work with Hunters. Does anyone have a solid increased enemies mod they can recommend me? I loved the increase squad size mod, it worked pretty well with the extra squad size upgrades for 8 soldiers.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Loel posted:

Looks like turning off 'recovery turn system' got me to the next room. That's weird as hell.

Ill keep the thread updated.

Yeah, that's a reported issue I haven't fixed yet. Hopefully get around to it in next day or two, been having a fun time being sick instead whilst caring for sick kids. Whee.

Edit: the issue is specifically with mid level transitions and save/load.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
:stonklol:

Just loaded up a bunch of mods for a new playthrough, and this is constantly flashing green and purple. I mean, I figured out what was causing it but jeez this is a funny issue.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Third time I've tried to download to Xcom 2 SDK. Hoping this time it doesn't download and then say 'haha something's not here redownload 42 gigs again.' :negative:

Jetamo posted:

Just loaded up a bunch of mods for a new playthrough, and this is constantly flashing green and purple. I mean, I figured out what was causing it but jeez this is a funny issue.

Saint's Row, bitches!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

many johnnys posted:

He's great as an antagonist, but as a spark voice, it's like oh look, he's "the sarcastic one".

I wish him being reprogrammed just meant he switched between sarcasm and just being really hyped to help XCOM, instead of being aware he's been hosed with.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Jetamo posted:

Are you using the Widescreen fix mod? That is broken now because of the shaders the DLCs messed with.

It was the answer to my problem when I had it anyway.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Lunethex posted:

Are you using the Widescreen fix mod? That is broken now because of the shaders the DLCs messed with.

It was the answer to my problem when I had it anyway.

Nope, turns out it was a Halo armour mod I downloaded. Which is a shame, because it had some pretty good helmets.

However, it also had some pretty awful leg options which were just literally "knee pads", leading to a Floater-in-a-Suit.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

TheSpiritFox posted:

Well poo poo.

I had an increased pod size mod that now doesn't work with Hunters. Does anyone have a solid increased enemies mod they can recommend me? I loved the increase squad size mod, it worked pretty well with the extra squad size upgrades for 8 soldiers.

If it's IESS it still works, author just knee-jerked declared it not working due to people who hadn't tried deleting XComMissions.ini and letting the game rebuild it after the Hunters update.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

This game. :allears:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SPARKs just aren't as cool as MEC troopers. They're also straight up not as good since MEC troopers couldn't be damaged themselves so you could have multiple suits for one guy to swap between. Also, I really miss how your trooper got this terse, emotionless robot voice once they 'upgraded'. Pretty sure MEC suits had way more health than SPARKs too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEemp1SLOM

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

My list of improvements for Sparks:

-better aim
-better HP
-No cooldown (or at most a 1-turn cooldown) on punches
-Able to carry more than one use of a heavy weapon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's a good list.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Seriously, I'd actually take the "bonus damage to heavy weapons" ability sometimes if I actually got to use it more than once a mission. Otherwise, what's the point of a single +2 damage rocket launcher/shredder/flamethrower use when I can use robofist infinitely to conserve ammo/laugh my rear end off?

Adding 10-15 aim, and maybe 1-2 HP (with another 1-2 per armor tier) would also do a lot to actually make them far more in line with filling the role of your team's ultra-heavy that Mecs used to.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Someone should make a SPARK voice pack to use Julian from Trailer Park Boys.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I haven't actually started a new campaign with Shen's DLC but I'm just a bit disappointed by the new "class" being a SHIV that can level up. I always thought 4 soldier classes with only 2 choices of build each to be rather limited, even in Xcom1. Psi-ops being their own class also feels like a step back, especially now that they only level up on the geoscape. I've never actually played Long War or any class mods, but 8 classes with a vastly expanded perk selection and more valid builds looks much more interesting by comparison.

I'd also enjoy seeing more Advent types, similar to what Exalt had: enemies with abilities similar to your soldiers'. If we have Lancers with access to slash, why couldn't we have Advent medics/supports ( i guess shieldbearers kinda fill that niche though )? Can you imagine how terrifying it would be to find an Advent sniper with squadsight and then losing track of them? Or Advent with grenade launchers?

I know there's already mods that add more advent troop types and soldier classes, but these are things that feel like they're missing from the base game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Advent troopers really are a boring compromise between weird looking pure alien foes and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CYIu8Bc9sY

I cleared the game on rookie, I'm debating if I should turn on some mods for my Veteran run, or if I should master the base game some more before screwing with it. Making rulers less bullshit is probably the most appealing one...

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
How the gently caress do you mod this poo poo aaaaugh I just spent an hour trying to figure out what I was doing wrong!!
I put these modifications under each Spark template (so one for the generic, and then one for each difficulty):

quote:

[SparkSoldier X2SparkCharacterTemplate_DLC_3]
-CharacterBaseStats[eStat_HP]=10
+CharacterBaseStats[eStat_HP]=13
CharacterBaseStats[eStat_HP]=14

Started with one line without the plus sign. Added the plus sign, added the -line, added the line without the plus sign out of desperation. Nothing works.

The file has the exact same name as the file it's supposed to override, XComGameData_CharacterStats. I followed the quickstart guide to set up the mod to a tee. So frustrating that I spent an hour on this poo poo and literally accomplished nothing, didn't even break the game or anything.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

many johnnys posted:

I get the feeling that with Julian they were trying to remake HK-47 from KOTOR (they even sound kind of similar), and . . . it doesn't really work.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Those of you who make mods, is there a reason there don't seem to be any that add extra faces? You can get all sorts of stuff to put on your characters, and there are even mods that replace the heads entirely with things like Garrus from Mass Effect, but there don't seem to be any mods that add to the six or so basic faces.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Lotish posted:

Those of you who make mods, is there a reason there don't seem to be any that add extra faces? You can get all sorts of stuff to put on your characters, and there are even mods that replace the heads entirely with things like Garrus from Mass Effect, but there don't seem to be any mods that add to the six or so basic faces.

Faces are harder to make. Human anatomy is harder to get right than robot parts and weird aliens.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Judging by the sort of stuff that comes out for things like Fallout, an concern for human anatomy rarely seems an issue. I'm just surprised no one's tried even adding one.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 10, 2016

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Lurdiak posted:

I cleared the game on rookie, I'm debating if I should turn on some mods for my Veteran run, or if I should master the base game some more before screwing with it. Making rulers less bullshit is probably the most appealing one...

Go play on commander with no mods, it's a different game entirely. Maybe the reason you want mods because so much of the game was so easy as to make things into a grind. Maybe even Commander/Ironman, to actually learn how to play the game and accept casualties.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
My understanding is that it was literally impossible to add heads until the patch back in May, and even then the XCOM modding community is pretty small compared to Bethesda's, there may simply not be an active modder who would actually know what they're doing when it comes to adding heads to characters customization for unreal-based games.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Alkydere posted:

Seriously, I'd actually take the "bonus damage to heavy weapons" ability sometimes if I actually got to use it more than once a mission. Otherwise, what's the point of a single +2 damage rocket launcher/shredder/flamethrower use when I can use robofist infinitely to conserve ammo/laugh my rear end off?

Adding 10-15 aim, and maybe 1-2 HP (with another 1-2 per armor tier) would also do a lot to actually make them far more in line with filling the role of your team's ultra-heavy that Mecs used to.

The +2 damage is pretty alright, but the extra radius is even better. Bigger explosion hits more targets and levels more of a building. The fist can miss. To me, it's bigger booms every time.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Just as an aside, does anyone else color-code their soldiers to make them easier to tell apart at a glance?

Assault: bright red
Medics: white
Engineers: electric blue
Rangers/infantry: forest/military green
Grenadiers: hazard orange
Gunners: yield yellow
Shinobi/spec-ops/etc: pure black
Snipers: black + white
Psi-ops: purple

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Serephina posted:

Go play on commander with no mods, it's a different game entirely. Maybe the reason you want mods because so much of the game was so easy as to make things into a grind. Maybe even Commander/Ironman, to actually learn how to play the game and accept casualties.

Haha, no.

Colapops posted:

Just as an aside, does anyone else color-code their soldiers to make them easier to tell apart at a glance?

I just randomly dress up my dudes with whatever strikes my fancy.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 10, 2016

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Well then.

Anyhow, Grimy's Loot Mod just gave me a very interesting SPARK autocannon. It has mods that give it: +3 sight range (okay, cool), +30% damage at the cost of 2 ammo, and then a mod that gives the last round in the weapon +50 aim and 30% bonus chance to crit... meaning that this autocannon can only fire once before reloading but it will virtually always hit and almost always crit with 30% more damage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That would be a good idea, but I usually just end up making everyone randomize or slot into their own unique thing.

Looking forward to trying these Long War Perk classes and the Toolbox's option to start with 10 soldiers. Hope it plays nice with the extra pod mod, because apparently the Increases Enemy Squad Size mod has issues with Alien Hunter? May have to go back through the config and increase all the pod sizes manually.

edit: Alright, I've got 10 soldiers in a line up, and that's cool, but I don't have a scroll bar and can't manually pick or edit the guys in the back row. Am I missing something or do I need a mod that adds a scroll bar? Never mind, figured it out.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 10, 2016

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Colapops posted:

I do some of this. White for my medic as well :respek: Though it depends a bit on nationality and overall looks as well, i.e. my Irish Sharpshooter is all green, while my other Sharpshooter is kept in dark grey/black. I do have similar tendencies, however, (one of my current Grenadiers is yellow camouflage), yet I suppose I colour-code individual soldiers rather than whole classes.

Edit: speaking of nationalities, I am still sad that (and I do wonder why) they didn't include Russian voices again, or more foreign voices in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I can never tell whether I like grimys or not