Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Speaking of the Huntsman, all three of the most recent omnis released for pre-order have the best pods locked behind paywalls, which rankles me. The question of how good the Huntsman as a chassis is will be dependent on how willing you are to shell out money, which is not a good direction for the game to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

Clan Omni mediums that are not the Stormcrow tend to have a ton of perks to specialize them. You're thinking of heavies.

Cease to Hope posted:

Clan Omni mediums that are not the Stormcrow

What?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Artificer posted:

If only there was that stat rating overlay here.

Please no :( I do not know if it is possible to find the same depths as the WoT player base, but I really do not want to know.

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Honestly if I had energy I'd think about it, but there's no teaching any of these people. If people don't want to learn, they're not going to learn.

Fortunately if you end up on the other side of these pubbies you can tear them in half in almost comical rampages.

I am fully aware pubbies will not change and will actively hinder your ability to win the game. Again with Tanks TK'ing a pubbie below a certain winrate would improve your chance to win the game. With the ability to modify your mech the amount of idiocy I have seen actually appears to been fairly minor. However, sometimes teams have already collapsed so hard I don't have time to spectate through people's builds.

Finally, what should I be using MC for? I assume keeping a bunch to re-up premium time and thinking of using it for mech bays. Beyond that maybe a premium mech here or there. What's the consensus?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
God dammit I need 9 scouting wins and the loving queues are empty :(

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tarbrush posted:

God dammit I need 9 scouting wins and the loving queues are empty :(

Only, and i mean only, queue on attack

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Please no :( I do not know if it is possible to find the same depths as the WoT player base, but I really do not want to know.

I am fully aware pubbies will not change and will actively hinder your ability to win the game. Again with Tanks TK'ing a pubbie below a certain winrate would improve your chance to win the game. With the ability to modify your mech the amount of idiocy I have seen actually appears to been fairly minor. However, sometimes teams have already collapsed so hard I don't have time to spectate through people's builds.

Finally, what should I be using MC for? I assume keeping a bunch to re-up premium time and thinking of using it for mech bays. Beyond that maybe a premium mech here or there. What's the consensus?

Please expand on these score overlays in WoT. I haven't played in ages and that sounds loving awful.

Also I generally horde my MC for mech bays. THey usually have one or two mechbay sales a year, where they go half off, and I like to drop a ton on those when they're cheap. Here or there if you just need one more it's also worth having the flexibilty to do so.

Hero mechs can be great, but only if they're good ones. They go on sale too once in a while, usually half off.

Don't bother spending it on premium time. If you want a month of premium just buy the locust pack. It costs something like $2 more and comes with a free month of premium, essentially giving you 3 free mech bays and one of the better hero mechs for a touch more than buying premium directly.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Definitely second the advice on buying mechbays during sales. Usually during summer and winter there is a sale, and the summer one hasn't happened yet, so you can buy 20 mechbays at 50% off to keep you going.

Unless you reaaaallllly want a specific colour, don't buy them, they're given away often enough. I've never bought one and have about 15.

Never buy camo unlocks, they're a bad deal. One-shots aren't the worst though, 75MC to make your favourite mech look snazzy is not a terrible deal.

Hero mechs can be a bit iffy, they tend to be good or bad as the balance pendulum swings, so if you're tempted to buy, do it because you love the chassis and not because something is OP right now. The only hero I can think of that's never really going to go out of style is the Misery, because Stalkers are never really going to be bad, but heroes are priced based on weight, so you can get a whole new game on Steam for the price of a hero that heavy.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Cyrano4747 posted:

Please expand on these score overlays in WoT. I haven't played in ages and that sounds loving awful.

Also I generally horde my MC for mech bays. THey usually have one or two mechbay sales a year, where they go half off, and I like to drop a ton on those when they're cheap. Here or there if you just need one more it's also worth having the flexibilty to do so.

Hero mechs can be great, but only if they're good ones. They go on sale too once in a while, usually half off.

Don't bother spending it on premium time. If you want a month of premium just buy the locust pack. It costs something like $2 more and comes with a free month of premium, essentially giving you 3 free mech bays and one of the better hero mechs for a touch more than buying premium directly.

It's not in the vanilla client it's part of any number of add ons...because playing vanilla WoT is the absolute worst. If you've heard of XVM then that's what we're talking about. Shows a players overall winrate, in tank winrate, and any number efficiency type ratings. Usually boils it down to very simple coloring scale. So load up a game and see your team and weep for humanity when you're greeted by a great wall of red...and then take the time to contemplate your life's decisions as the team collapses in an exceedingly predictable fashion as you do everything in your power to drag them kicking and screaming towards a W.

Thanks for the pointers on MC. I will deffo wait for sale on bays. Accessories and paint I don't really care about so won't be wasting MC on that right now. The Hero thing I was thinking of as adding a few mechs that I love to play and increase credit returns...since I'm still pretty cash strapped. Was thinking of the Locust one...I think it's my absolutely favorite mech to play so far.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cyrano4747 posted:

WoT is pretty heavily moddable and most of the popular modpacks come with a score overlay that takes it's info from a site that takes it's stats from your actual profile (like in MWO, you can see your K:D, average damage done per match, average xp per match etc.) and allows it to be displayed in game, either as part of the teams panel or as part of the little widget above players heads so that you can tell, at a glance, how awesome/how much a person sucks based on their stats.
Said stats are also calculated into a score and color coded for even more convenience. There's often even an option to have the expected chance to win displayed due to all of these stats on both of your teams!

As usual, it has enabled a bunch of idiocy around prioritizing better players to assist/kill first, having people be defeatist/afk games because the enemy team has better stats (when there is no stat for teamwork which is what really wins games) and stat shaming.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
:cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes:

:cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
It is the Wizard's older brother!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

imagine how long he can keep firing tho

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

you laugh, but in the tournament one of the Russian teams brought two Executioners with four flamers each for their two assault slots (and useful other weapons) and stunlocked everything on the other team

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It's not in the vanilla client it's part of any number of add ons...because playing vanilla WoT is the absolute worst. If you've heard of XVM then that's what we're talking about. Shows a players overall winrate, in tank winrate, and any number efficiency type ratings. Usually boils it down to very simple coloring scale. So load up a game and see your team and weep for humanity when you're greeted by a great wall of red...and then take the time to contemplate your life's decisions as the team collapses in an exceedingly predictable fashion as you do everything in your power to drag them kicking and screaming towards a W.

Thanks for the pointers on MC. I will deffo wait for sale on bays. Accessories and paint I don't really care about so won't be wasting MC on that right now. The Hero thing I was thinking of as adding a few mechs that I love to play and increase credit returns...since I'm still pretty cash strapped. Was thinking of the Locust one...I think it's my absolutely favorite mech to play so far.

If you like locusts but the mastery pack. It's basically a month of premium with free locusts.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

you laugh, but in the tournament one of the Russian teams brought two Executioners with four flamers each for their two assault slots (and useful other weapons) and stunlocked everything on the other team

I think the focus was the highlander with 2 lrm 15s and an lbx 10.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

NihilCredo posted:

I used this near-exact build to do most of the matches in the Scouting challenge last week, and it worked great - the SSRM Stormcrows everybody was running were poo poo at managing heat and poo poo at destroying a Centurion. Two important tips though:

1) Strip armor off the right arm to field at least another half ton of SRM ammo, you're likely to need it

2) The worst thing that can happen, and it happened to me a few times, is to end up the last survivor with your left torso gone or your ammo depleted. Highly embarrassing. To prevent that, play super aggressively and try to draw fire off your teammates (the 90m range flamers will help in that regard)

It is super solid! Does anyone have the math for how the flamer heat stuff works? like, for both you and the target so I can get a better idea of when it is worth it or not to keep firing in the danger zone?\

edit: man, remember in the days of Blue Warrior Online when you could see how hot a target was by going into thermal vision?

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 10, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ugh I might buy the Cyclops plus reinforcements so that I can fill out my entire drop deck with ECM (with RVN-3L, CTF-0XP, GRF-2N) since it looks like I might be able to equip it essentially the same way as the CTF-0XP.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Wait until it launches so you can see if it sucks. There is zero reason to but it now.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I just finished buying the Nova A and B! :)

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Nova A is so much fun, just keep the two PPCs on it. You get sliiightly higher mounts with the torsi, but closer together, but the Nova's torso pitch is not that great so I keep them in the arms. I always have solid games with it, and even if the damage output doesn't look great, it's very efficient if you can aim.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

aniviron posted:

Nova A is so much fun, just keep the two PPCs on it. You get sliiightly higher mounts with the torsi, but closer together, but the Nova's torso pitch is not that great so I keep them in the arms. I always have solid games with it, and even if the damage output doesn't look great, it's very efficient if you can aim.

I will try this, but I've just run all novas as double 6-pack small laser butt punchers. Novas require precision aim but they murder people real good.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

aniviron posted:

What's your loadout for it? I've stripped a lot of armor to make room for heatsinks...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I use this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=180&l=6268d4b52bfb48219997050b54a93729bb80e468

It doesn't look like much, generally you're going to be alphaing about three times before you're running hot, but it cools very very quickly- look at that 46% cooling efficiency. That means even on maps like Terra Therma you're still able to fire pretty frequently.

It takes a bit of patience to remember that you have to keep back but also keep moving. Still, think of it as a 950m AC20 with fantastic velocity. The Nova also has terrific jumpjets, so it's one of very few mechs that can still actually poptart. You have more than enough juice to jump, let the crosshair steady, and then there's enough to soften the fall with a bit left over.

The only downside is that you build heat initially so quickly because clan heatsinks suck, but if you can stay outside of brawling range, it's a great fit. Even in brawling range, you get about five shots before the overheating pops you, that's 100 pinpoint damage plus another 50 splash, which should kill or cripple almost anything. Again though, very dependent on your aim. On a good day, I can make lights and mediums really sorry they thought the sniper nova was going to be an easy kill, on bad days, well, I can at least soften them a bit.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Gotta admit I am having the darndest time being effective in the PPC Nova. I still get above 500 damage per game regularly, though much less regularly than with my 12x SMLAS Nova. The versatility is nice but man the relative lack of punch is being felt. I get outclassed by a lot of things in close range combat it feels like, though long range works fine.

Except when I run into a 4x gauss rifle Kodiak or something. :negative:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

With the PPC Nova though you're going to spread damage a lot less than a laser brawler, so you do less damage but put more of it in the right place- in theory anyway. I've been running one of these things for about six months, generally do about 100 damage less than the other Novae, but I always get more kills.

Mechs with super high mounts and p2w magic like the KDK will outclass the NVA, but I mean, that's true for almost any mech in the game. Usually big mechs are just an opportunity for you to feast, though. Chipping apart Atlases, Battlemasters, Banshees, and Dires is one of the best things you can do.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

aniviron posted:

With the PPC Nova though you're going to spread damage a lot less than a laser brawler, so you do less damage but put more of it in the right place- in theory anyway. I've been running one of these things for about six months, generally do about 100 damage less than the other Novae, but I always get more kills.

Mechs with super high mounts and p2w magic like the KDK will outclass the NVA, but I mean, that's true for almost any mech in the game. Usually big mechs are just an opportunity for you to feast, though. Chipping apart Atlases, Battlemasters, Banshees, and Dires is one of the best things you can do.

At what range do you try to engage at, generally?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

aniviron posted:

With the PPC Nova though you're going to spread damage a lot less than a laser brawler, so you do less damage but put more of it in the right place- in theory anyway.

This is absolutely not true, because of cERPPC splash and the extremely short burn time of small lasers.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about poptart Novas but a laser brawler Nova can put the bulk of its damage on CTs if you have a steady hand.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

This is absolutely not true, because of cERPPC splash and the extremely short burn time of small lasers.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about poptart Novas but a laser brawler Nova can put the bulk of its damage on CTs if you have a steady hand.

This actually explains a lot. I didn't know that CERPPCs splash. Darn. :(

Oh well, at least Poptarting with the A is pretty darn fun. Does the splash damage nature of the cERPPCs make it sucky or can it double as a critseeker now?

Anyone got good UAC builds with the Nova B? I'm currently running a UAC 20 and 2 Small Lasers.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Oh well, at least Poptarting with the A is pretty darn fun. Does the splash damage nature of the cERPPCs make it sucky or can it double as a critseeker now?

Anyone got good UAC builds with the Nova B? I'm currently running a UAC 20 and 2 Small Lasers.

You do 10 damage on one location and 2.5 to 2 adjacent locations, hence "15 damage" in the tooltip.
Misleading.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Artificer posted:

Clan PPCs do extra damage. 2.5 to 2 adjoining components for a total of 15. It's part of the reason that a 4 PPC Warhawk works. PPCs don't crit seek. Clan PPCs aren't bad, you are just forced to use ER PPCs, so you always have the heat penalty.

E: Beaten. I run a PPC and 4ML w/6 Heat Sinks Nova that can put in some work if you get used to engagement distances. Never fire your ERPPC at close range, since your ML do more damage. Only use the PPC at close range as a last resort.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

OK so for the challenge I'm at 8 invasion wins but still south of 4000 match score (out of 5000). What's the way to get good match scores, just focus on damage and kills at the expense of teamplay or is there some better trick? I tried being the guy doing the most damage to the generators during an Invasion attack but I don't think I got any reward at all for it :pgi:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

OK so for the challenge I'm at 8 invasion wins but still south of 4000 match score (out of 5000). What's the way to get good match scores, just focus on damage and kills at the expense of teamplay or is there some better trick? I tried being the guy doing the most damage to the generators during an Invasion attack but I don't think I got any reward at all for it :pgi:

Kills, assists, components id say.
Scoutings, flankings, i think match score is roughly in line with xp?

And yes, doing mission objectives gives jack poo poo.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
AC2/LRM Altlas new meta or what?
Those 2 are from the same game, couldnt screen the loadout from the third as he exploded too fast, but was lurming too.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I could really use the website not ebing down so I can see how close I am to completing the event :(

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

tarbrush posted:

I could really use the website not ebing down so I can see how close I am to completing the event :(

Sorry about that. It's back now. We had a hardware fault that got compounded by a weird config bug which was further compounded by a monitoring email not being delivered letting me know the hardware fault was restored. Kind of a "what can go wrong did go wrong" incident.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Number19 posted:

Sorry about that. It's back now. We had a hardware fault that got compounded by a weird config bug which was further compounded by a monitoring email not being delivered letting me know the hardware fault was restored. Kind of a "what can go wrong did go wrong" incident.

I think a mechbay sale is in order for that.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Is the crowd that pugs CW any better than the people in quickplay? If the randoms in Community Warfare are even a little the same as random in quick play I think I have a shot pugging it, but I am scared of losing a match in this f2p videogame.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Buschmaki posted:

Is the crowd that pugs CW any better than the people in quickplay? If the randoms in Community Warfare are even a little the same as random in quick play I think I have a shot pugging it, but I am scared of losing a match in this f2p videogame.

CW has no matchmaking at all. Twelve random micless complete newbies can get paired against a full 12-man drop by the best team in the game. Not in a "it's theoretically possible" way, it actually happens regularly.

After the event is over, I have no plans to touch CW again. Maybe a few scouting matches every couple weeks for the Rank 2 mechbays.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Dont solo invasion, dont do that to yourself, hop on mumble and find people to play with, (just dont be a clan muppet like i am :(), scouting is soloable and i have a lot of fun with it because you can carry quite hard and lots more individual dudes solo in scouting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
So GIRL is gonna go back to Jade Falcon this coming Saturday. You have been warned.

• Locked thread