Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

WAR FOOT posted:

Doesn't matter if the movie's bad. Make that theater as rowdy and supportive as a bunch of drunk girls in a bar bathroom, aka the pinnacle of supportive funtimes.

Source your buzzfeed quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ghostbusters 3: mr oogie boogie gets his loving ghost nuts shot off

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The most concerning part of that gif is the bow tie.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

The most concerning part of that gif is the bow tie.

It should've been a bolo tie.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Davros1 posted:

My local Target just had all the new Ghostbusters figures and toys on clearance already, that can't be a good sign, right?

it's great for me, because after I got paid yesterday I went down to tagret and bought almost every figure. P.much just pushed the entire shelf into my cart and it onyl came out $120.00. This is what I mean when I talk about GB16 fans taking the ghostbro hate and turning it into something positive, we're a pretty ingenuitive bunch.

Less than 5 days left until its finally out, fellow Ghostheads! A few buddies and myself are going to dress up (sans protin packs, the theater has banned all potentially dangerous looking objects from cosplay. Which I applaud. Same thing happened with Star Wars last year and it was great because usually nerds are agressivly lightsabre-fighting outside of these things with all this pent up agression and thankfully that was absent from the Episode 7 release night.) Got my measurements done and if all goes well my jumpsuit will be ready by then. A friend of mine also has an authentic Ghostbusters mobile feauting the original model of ambulance with working siren that he brings out for GB events/charity. We're going to be pulling up to this thing in style! Absolutely cannot wait!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
im not going to see it because it is a reboot of a movie from the 80s and i do not support those

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

it's great for me, because after I got paid yesterday I went down to tagret and bought almost every figure. P.much just pushed the entire shelf into my cart and it onyl came out $120.00.

Score! Please post photos of your haul/total GB collection - we don't get that stuff here.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Score! Please post photos of your haul/total GB collection - we don't get that stuff here.

Well I actually have my "open and play with" ones coming in the mail still. I buy two sets of everything, not just to support this film but I do it with most of my toys i like having one set to play with and one set for my archives (Well, it's more like a storage unit, but it's still real to me drat it! :xd: )

I was however lucky enough to snag another set of the legos, which I promptly spent all of last night assembling.

they're really great. Really quality builds and the paintjobs look amazing on these things. Easily my favourite set of 2016 so far.

Retarded_Clown_ fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 10, 2016

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Did they make a new Stay Puft toy? My nephew and niece love Stay Puft, and if he's discounted, I need to grab a few.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Are you the guy who bought all those GB16 toys and had them beat up the male toys to show Paul Feig on twitter?

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

WAR FOOT posted:

Are you the guy who bought all those GB16 toys and had them beat up the male toys to show Paul Feig on twitter?

No, but that guy is awesome. We're mutuals on twetsphere though. As badass as it is that he got a mention from Feig, I don't want to risk opening any of mine until the second set gets here.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
ghostbusters is such a funny movie, the characters all come together really well, their interactions are hilarious, rick moranis, the stupid fight against the marshmallow man, it's just a flawless movie and i'm glad to have seen it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

No sympathy for any toy line that does that lovely "collect them all to make a new figure" garbage.

In all fairness when this originated with Toybiz it 1. Came with actual accessories as well and 2. Was usually a huge character that would never sell alone (see: Galactus). Then oil got expensive (and by extension plastic) and they started doing smaller figures and less accessories.

The reason its not being less terrible with oil costs flatlining? Because why cut into profits.

Also, the Ghostbusters toys look awful because Mattel is the worst toy company.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alteisen posted:

I'm sure he's just mad cause its women in it, he is a filthy white man after all, this movie will be a masterpiece that will literally change the world.

Most people do not rely on rottentomato scores to prove to the world they aren't sexist. To the point of repeatedly checking the site, at least.

What I mean here is that most people have 'confidence'.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm confident "ghostheads" isn't going to catch on.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I'm surprised that Elizabeth Mills would be anti-corporate interests by daring to poo-poo the focus-group-tested phrase 'Ghostheads'.

Then again, I suppose it'd be a fairly Scorched Earth approach.

e: oh, no. you're trying to remove bad publicity.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 10, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i have confidence that the original ghostbusters is one of the greatest comedy movies, and the new one, great or poo poo, will not be able to be as good as the original.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

i have confidence that the original ghostbusters is one of the greatest comedy movies.

Watch more movies

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

it's great for me, because after I got paid yesterday I went down to tagret and bought almost every figure. P.much just pushed the entire shelf into my cart and it onyl came out $120.00. This is what I mean when I talk about GB16 fans taking the ghostbro hate and turning it into something positive, we're a pretty ingenuitive bunch.

Less than 5 days left until its finally out, fellow Ghostheads! A few buddies and myself are going to dress up (sans protin packs, the theater has banned all potentially dangerous looking objects from cosplay. Which I applaud. Same thing happened with Star Wars last year and it was great because usually nerds are agressivly lightsabre-fighting outside of these things with all this pent up agression and thankfully that was absent from the Episode 7 release night.) Got my measurements done and if all goes well my jumpsuit will be ready by then. A friend of mine also has an authentic Ghostbusters mobile feauting the original model of ambulance with working siren that he brings out for GB events/charity. We're going to be pulling up to this thing in style! Absolutely cannot wait!

How many times did you go over this to insert ironic typos

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

Watch more movies

I said that it's "one of them"

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Ghostman's got nards?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

WAR FOOT posted:

I'm surprised that Elizabeth Mills would be anti-corporate interests by daring to poo-poo the focus-group-tested phrase 'Ghostheads'.

Then again, I suppose it'd be a fairly Scorched Earth approach.

e: oh, no. you're trying to remove bad publicity.

Are you accusing him of having an agenda?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

Are you accusing him of having an agenda?

I find there's usually more than one agenda at play, here.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

what about "ghostface"?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

i have confidence that the original ghostbusters is one of the greatest comedy movies, and the new one, great or poo poo, will not be able to be as good as the original.

Honestly? I think be just is good or possibly even surpass the original. By my own standard, I have not actually seen the film and I'm waiting until then before I judge it. I challenge all the haters to do the same before they write it off.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

bhlaab posted:

what about "ghostface"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSZZKw8g3UI

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Honestly? I think be just is good or possibly even surpass the original. By my own standard, I have not actually seen the film and I'm waiting until then before I judge it. I challenge all the haters to do the same before they write it off.

I wouldn't call myself a "hater", that implies i have an investment in the new movie

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Trammel posted:

@EarlyBirdCritic's review gave it 4/10.

"While a strong cast garners a few laughs here and there, Ghostbusters ultimately falters due to an overabundance of cheap slapstick and poor writing"

No, no, that's not possible. What people were saying way back when a reboot was announced can't be right, they're all misogynists.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

ghostheads are not a contagious skin condition

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

they're really great. Really quality builds and the paintjobs look amazing on these things. Easily my favourite set of 2016 so far.

What about the original Firehouse set? It's pricey but worth it!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Gee, I wonder why it won't catch on...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Saw the movie: Think that guy ranting on YouTube was wrong. Better than GHOSTBUSTERS II.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ghostbusters 2 was great and is unfairly maligned imo

The scene where they use a NESvantage to posess the statue of liberty while Higher and Higher played and that weird animated movie lightning happened was like, peak late-80's in the best way.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I have a free ticket to an advance screening tomorrow. Now I get to satisfy my morbid curiosity for free.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
Melissa Anderson @ The Village Voice has a review up. She seems to blame the movie not being good on
  • the movie starting 50 minutes late
  • "tragic underutilizing of four of this country's funniest women"
  • "never strays far from the anodyne, generic humor that pervades the Ivan Reitman–directed 1984 original"
  • "cameos" and "cloying appearances that have become de rigueur in remakes but that here especially highlight the timidity of Feig's project"
  • Bad dialogue: McCarthy ... utter frat-brah catchphrases like "Let's do this.", Wiig ... cries out, "Say hello to my little friend"
  • "the film's near-interminable final act, a glut of green beams that suggests nothing more than an f/x trade show. (Look how much technology has advanced since 1984!)"

However, on the plus side,

• Ghostbusters' loopy, unpredictable, and detail-dense final credits — the best such sequence I've seen in a film this year — that Feig's rethink seems liberated from the burden of the past

So, the new film too timidly followed the old film's inoffensive, bland, generic humour. The old film caused the new one to have too many cloying cameos, and forced the new one to demonstrate improved f/x, ruining the last act. I guess the old film is also responsible for the reboot's bad dialogue somehow.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
GB2 is bad compared to GB but on its own it's still a fun movie. Vigo is one of the most recognisable movie villains from that era, there are plenty of memorable scenes that are well executed. The main problem is the plot not really making sense following on from the first film.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, it's out tomorrow in the UK, so I'm gonna be there after work.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That dialogue complaint is one that I've seen in a lot of genres that make having competent women their "gimmick". Rather than allowing them to organically develop their own characters the director/writer feels the need to scream "SEXISM.....IS OVER!" By having the actors belt out decades-old action/thriller dialogue and 'tude.

It bothers me because it locks equal treatment to what the male figures accomplish; a significant aspect of actress accomplishments become less about defining-the-moment, and more about catching up to the boys.

I mean, imagine if Aliens had Ripley simply repeat Ahnold and Stallone lines instead of being her own momentous figure.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trammel posted:

[*] the movie starting 50 minutes late

Is this a metaphorical thing, like the first 50 minutes are pointless, or is she literally blaming the movie because the theater she saw it in started the movie late?

• Locked thread