Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Keeping in mind that 2020 is a census year, and a Presidential Election year, so if she does win reelection with some measure of coattails the redistricting is probably going to really help the upcoming D bench.

True, but most of the governors will be elected in 2018 and GOP governors would be able to at least force Democratic legislatures to meet them halfway on the maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the best hope for democrats, i think, is a supreme court decision against partisan gerrymandering - not because democrats are saints or anything, just because they suck at winning state legislatures and that's where the gerrymandering happens. i feel like i've read the claim that the swing vote in the court the last time it was raised only held off on declaring it unconstitutional because nobody had presented a 'test' that satisfied him

i don't know anything about law, but maybe either a change in the composition of the court, a plaintiff with a smart argument, or some of the state-level stuff like florida's fair districts amendment leads to 5 old people in robes finding the magic words that constrain state legislators in a way that doesn't let them cheat and have the illegal districts for 3 or 4 out of the 5 elections in the decade

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oystertoadfish posted:

the best hope for democrats, i think, is a supreme court decision against partisan gerrymandering - not because democrats are saints or anything, just because they suck at winning state legislatures and that's where the gerrymandering happens. i feel like i've read the claim that the swing vote in the court the last time it was raised only held off on declaring it unconstitutional because nobody had presented a 'test' that satisfied him

i don't know anything about law, but maybe either a change in the composition of the court, a plaintiff with a smart argument, or some of the state-level stuff like florida's fair districts amendment leads to 5 old people in robes finding the magic words that constrain state legislators in a way that doesn't let them cheat and have the illegal districts for 3 or 4 out of the 5 elections in the decade

If the Democrats win the House in 2016 they should reauthorize the VRA, with an additional provision that effectively makes it so that covered states are forbidden from gerrymandering.

The Supreme Court doesn't like gerrymandering but has never been able to think up a workable standard to say what it is. Kennedy in particular has always kept that door open.

evilweasel has issued a correction as of 13:45 on Jul 8, 2016

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Isn't it pretty much impossible they'll win the House though? Or is it now becoming possible that Trump depresses Republican turnout enough that they win it?!

edit: \/\/\/\/\/wow, even if Clinton doesn't get a Reagan-vs-Mondale-esque win over Trump in EV's that is still huge if it happens. Hell if we even get close to it happening.

PC LOAD LETTER has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Jul 8, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Isn't it pretty much impossible they'll win the House though? Or is it now becoming possible that Trump depresses Republican turnout enough that they win it?!

It should be impossible, but Trump is so loving bad that there's a chance. Not a good chance, still a long shot, but it could happen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Like if a lot of GOP voters stay home in Nov, maybe. But it's a very long shot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

evilweasel posted:

If the Democrats win the House in 2016 they should reauthorize the VRA, with an additional provision that effectively makes it so that covered states are forbidden from gerrymandering.

There is really no way to word that though unless you go for an obscenity style "I know it when I see it" reading and just ram everything through a friendly SCOTUS. Also keep in mind that certain districts are gerrymandered at the behest of the people in that district, like Chicago's weird one that made a Hispanic majority district for the first time.

What would be much easier and in line with the previous ruling is to have the VRA apply nationwide, since what you're apparently after is them loving with turnout.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

evilweasel posted:

It should be impossible, but Trump is so loving bad that there's a chance. Not a good chance, still a long shot, but it could happen.

There's a kind of poetic justice involved if Improbable Candidate Donald Trump leads to Improbable Democratic House.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Like if a lot of GOP voters stay home in Nov, maybe. But it's a very long shot.

Basically, Hillary needs to be winning by about 8 points or more for it to start being possible. Still unlikely even then, but that's where you can start wondering. Since people who don't like their party's candidate tend to not vote rather than vote third party or just skip the presidential race, if enough Republicans despise Trump they're likely to stay at home and do serious damage downballot even if those republicans love their local congressman (or don't hate them).

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/jarodkeith/status/751540376742326272

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

where's the other 50 percent

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Badger of Basra posted:

where's the other 50 percent

lol i apologize to the forum this poll is trash
http://www.babbagecofounder.com/2016/04/15/cofounder-pulse-poll-paul-27-7-gray-25-8-undecided-46-6/

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

thethreeman posted:

lol i apologize to the forum this poll is trash
Hangover.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

edit: \/\/\/\/\/wow, even if Clinton doesn't get a Reagan-vs-Mondale-esque win over Trump in EV's that is still huge if it happens. Hell if we even get close to it happening.

There's a much greater chance of Trump winning and the GOP holding a solid Senate majority than the House has of flipping. Clinton winning by 9-10+ points might be enough but even then it's iffy and would rely on depressed GOP turnout or a shitload of right wingers (as in, millions of them) voting 3rd party.

Honestly you shouldn't even think about the House flipping because it's so incredibly unlikely even with Trump being utterly toxic. The best to realistically hope for is that Clinton wins, the Dems retake the Senate, and the GOP's House majority shrinks enough that Ryan's life is able to be made a complete and utter mess so that he's able to live in a state of constant misery that approaches the pain his making GBS threads beliefs inflict on others.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

The Supreme Court doesn't like gerrymandering but has never been able to think up a workable standard to say what it is. Kennedy in particular has always kept that door open.

They should also make it cover all fifty states. I mean, Wisconsin isn't Southern but it's fuuucked voting-wise, for instance.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
This reminds me of all the people who started off 2010 saying that the Democrats had built up such an edge in seat count that there was no way it could all be reversed in one cycle. Well, it certainly was. However, it was reversed over the course of the cycle as more and more representatives found their leads deteriorating and their previously presumed to be safe seats put into play. That just hasn't seemed to be happening so far this cycle. I don't follow every race, and there are definitely some moving towards Democrats, but there's also large patches of potentially competitive seats that just don't seem to have any deterioration going on right now. SEPA, the Republican seats in New Jersey, anything in Ohio or Indiana, these areas just aren't looking any more favorable to Democrats this cycle than they did last cycle right now. Maybe the wave will build, but it hasn't yet and, with the poor candidate recruitment in a lot of these areas, its going to have to be 90% national and 10% local candidacy for some of these seats to turn.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yeah, here's my post from two years ago:

quote:

SOLID REP HOLD: ID, AZ, ND, SD, KS, OK, AR, LA, ID, AL, KY, UT, IA, SC

LEANS REP: NC, GA, MO, FL

TOSSUP: WI, OH, NH

LEANS DEM: PA, IL, NV

SOLID DEM HOLD: CA, WA, OR, NY, CT, VT, MD, HI

From that, I'd move WI and NH into Leans Dem and PA into Tossup. Maaaaybe move IA into Leans Rep, but the rest stays the same. Even if Democrats win WI, NH, IL, NV, PA, and OH they still only have 51 Senate seats.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Joementum posted:

From that, I'd move WI and NH into Leans Dem and PA into Tossup. Maaaaybe move IA into Leans Rep, but the rest stays the same. Even if Democrats win WI, NH, IL, NV, PA, and OH they still only have 51 Senate seats.

Arizona?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Good point. It should be Leans Rep.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I thought Johnson was even more toast than Kirk, with both of them being pretty much solid Dem.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i guess 'leans' is a pretty wide category in this particular schema

but supposedly johnson is just dumb and has never tried to appeal to a non-red-wave electorate, whereas kirk at least has been militantly anti-republican honestly* and has humanized himself after his stroke (but he's got very little chance of holding on regardless)

*in terms of high-profile votes and notable quotes, which are the only thing that matters in elections since nobody pays attention to what congress actually does

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Joementum posted:

Right now I'd put KY more in Leans Rep than Solid Rep. For the time being I'd say that Jim Grey has a better-than-normal chance of replacing Rand Paul.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

FL is definitely toss-up. If Hillary's FL margin is as large as polls say, Rubio's chances are looking very poor. The wildcard is if Grayson wins the primary and fucks it all up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You can argue back and forth about whether a state is leaning or a tossup, but the bottom line is that the best case scenario for the Democrats is probably 52 seats and its more likely they end up at 50 or 51. That's narrow majority that's sure to get wiped out in two years.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

FL is definitely toss-up. If Hillary's FL margin is as large as polls say, Rubio's chances are looking very poor. The wildcard is if Grayson wins the primary and fucks it all up.

has anyone polled for the primary?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Badger of Basra posted:

has anyone polled for the primary?

Most recent polls had them basically tied with tons of undecided.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

You can argue back and forth about whether a state is leaning or a tossup, but the bottom line is that the best case scenario for the Democrats is probably 52 seats and its more likely they end up at 50 or 51. That's narrow majority that's sure to get wiped out in two years.

I think the Dem ceiling is quite a bit higher if we're looking at a Senate wave year. The Dem ceiling is +10 seats in that case - PA, IL, NH, OH, WI, FL, MO, NC, GA, IA. I am inclined to see 6 seats as being the most likely number Democrats end up with after November (IL, WI, NH, FL, PA, OH) but there is the outside chance of knocking off Grassley and Burr, and then a more remote chance of Blunt (intriguingly, the RSCC just went up in MO) and Isakson going down as well.

Edit: I don't disagree that Dems will likely lose their majority in 2018, though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Note that the Democratic candidate in GA is an investment banker with no political experience. I'd move that race to solidly Republican. The only hope the Democrats have in a race like that is that Trump's campaign is so disastrous it wipes out down the ballot. I'm not convinced we're there yet.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want to be optimistic but it's just not happening. I just don't think Trump can do enough damage.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

Note that the Democratic candidate in GA is an investment banker with no political experience. I'd move that race to solidly Republican. The only hope the Democrats have in a race like that is that Trump's campaign is so disastrous it wipes out down the ballot. I'm not convinced we're there yet.

It's pretty tough to be a Democrat in GA with political experience. The last good Senate candidate there absorbed her political experience by osmosis from her notoriously bigoted father, Sen. Nunn.

That said, I don't really disagree. I think it's a very outside chance. The GOP Senate numbers have looked very poor and losing GA would essentially be the Worst Possible Thing that could happen.

I actually missed AZ in there too (somehow), so I guess that's actually a +11. I actually feel pretty bullish about AZ-Sen given McCain's dismal numbers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shinjobi posted:

I want to be optimistic but it's just not happening. I just don't think Trump can do enough damage.

Have you considered the coattail's of Barksdale's hat, though?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's a very good hat. Would vote for the hat.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Concerned Citizen posted:

Florida Dems are idiots so they'll blow an otherwise winnable race, same with PA.

The only thing better than the Dems taking the Senate, even if it's 50/50 and VP Kaine* has to constantly be a tie-breaker, would be if it includes McCain losing his seat. Rubio and McCain both losing reelection would be a thing of beauty.

* Still hoping for Castro or Perez but Clinton's gonna Clinton I'm sure.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Evil Fluffy posted:

Florida Dems are idiots so they'll blow an otherwise winnable race, same with PA.

The only thing better than the Dems taking the Senate, even if it's 50/50 and VP Kaine* has to constantly be a tie-breaker, would be if it includes McCain losing his seat. Rubio and McCain both losing reelection would be a thing of beauty.

* Still hoping for Castro or Perez but Clinton's gonna Clinton I'm sure.

If it weren't for Orrin Hatch and his good buddy Ted Cruz, we could theoretically clear the Senate of every member who actually thought they could be President this very election.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gyges posted:

If it weren't for Orrin Hatch and his good buddy Ted Cruz, we could theoretically clear the Senate of every member who actually thought they could be President this very election.

(and Graham and Sanders from this cycle!)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Lamar ran before he was a Senator, but no loving idea how Bernie and Lindsay slipped my mind there. Though if they don't run for reelection I stand by my inexplicable brain fart.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
I just noticed that "Lamar Walked Here!" sign in the background. What a missed opportunity, America.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Bernie Sanders is like 100 so who knows if he'll run for re-election but his term isn't up until 2018 anyway

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Fullhouse posted:

Bernie Sanders is like 100 so who knows if he'll run for re-election but his term isn't up until 2018 anyway

eh, Sanders isn't even 80 yet (he's 74). Robert Byrd served in the Senate until he was 92 (when he died). Charles Grassley, who is running for reelection, is 82. Dianne Feinstein is 83.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think Bernie will run again. The bigger question is whether he'll run as a Democrat. I suspect not.

• Locked thread