Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Non Serviam posted:

^^^the mannequin piss is in Brussels, Belgium

Well, looks like I have egg on my blackface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dillbag posted:

Well, looks like I have egg on my blackface.

Burn Hollywood Burn

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Jul 9, 2016

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Wait for it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Scooters are loving deathraps, man.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Dillbag posted:

quote:

has the story about the Dutch kid who stopped a dike leak by putting his finger in the hole
Your official Dutch mascot should be Mannekin Pis, then. You can put that little peeing baby dick on all your merchandise.

Just merge the two concepts, and you've got something the kids can relate to. Problem solved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUKODCX5pNU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

.gifv that poo poo man

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Gromit posted:

I just learned that the American Airlines Space Freighter was named after a real place.

Re: Valley Forge and Silent Running -- it came as a :monocle: to the :britain: Mr Boods that not only is Valley Forge a real place, but that it's just up the road (more or less) from where I grew up. He thought it had something to do with gardening, because of the purpose of the ship in the film. Then again, he also thought I was making up the War of 1812 to take the piss out of him.

:911:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This bar (let's call it Bar C) near where I live, which just celebrated its after-a-while-of-operation grand opening a couple of weeks ago, has closed. Bar C was a rebranding/reopening of Bar B, which closed about six months ago. Before the folks running Bar B bought it, the building was idle for about eight years, after Bar A closed down on the spot not long after it opened (iirc).

It sucks for the people working there, but I think the location is cursed for a bar/restaurant. When I went to the place as Bar C it was doing a bit better than its Bar B incarnation, but still.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Jul 9, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

There is a little bar about a mile and a half from me, that has been opened and closed at least 6 times that I've noticed since I moved here, 11 years ago. It's kind of amazing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

The Locator posted:

There is a little bar about a mile and a half from me, that has been opened and closed at least 6 times that I've noticed since I moved here, 11 years ago. It's kind of amazing.

I think every city has one of these. The one here has been rebranded at least 5 times in the last 10 years while being in a a++ location (next to the biggest hotel in town, in the same building) Before the rebranding circus started, it used to be the place where local alcoholics got drunk and it was packed 5 days a week.

e: They also used to sell lovely beer somewhat cheap and had live music every day of the week. It was a good place :(

Klaus Kinski has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Jul 10, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

MisterBibs posted:

This bar (let's call it Bar C) near where I live, which just celebrated its after-a-while-of-operation grand opening a couple of weeks ago, has closed. Bar C was a rebranding/reopening of Bar B, which closed about six months ago. Before the folks running Bar B bought it, the building was idle for about eight years, after Bar A closed down on the spot not long after it opened (iirc).

It sucks for the people working there, but I think the location is cursed for a bar/restaurant. When I went to the place as Bar C it was doing a bit better than its Bar B incarnation, but still.

It's not that the bar is cursed, it's that its a lovely location for a bar. I'm willing to bet that Bar A left a lot of equipment behind, so Bar B bought it. Then Bar B goes tits up because the location sucks, and the Bar C guy comes in and goes "This would be a great place for a bar!".

Oftentimes, buildings with bad locations just have a cycle of businesses passing through. Every town has them until the building finds the right business for its location.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Plus it is easier to buy a bar and open it than it is to keep a bar running. People love the idea of owning a bar or restaurant. Then It turns out that actually it sucks.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Beautiful :allears:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Atticus_1354 posted:

Plus it is easier to buy a bar and open it than it is to keep a bar running. People love the idea of owning a bar or restaurant. Then It turns out that actually it sucks.

That goes for many a small business. I've seen bars, pizzerias, spas and even retail stores simply go tits up and get picked up by another dreamer with acceptable credit. Most people shopping for a small business don't have a loving clue. Something like 75% of small businesses do not make it though 12 months.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nitrox posted:

That goes for many a small business. I've seen bars, pizzerias, spas and even retail stores simply go tits up and get picked up by another dreamer with acceptable credit. Most people shopping for a small business don't have a loving clue. Something like 75% of small businesses do not make it though 12 months.

There's a Hummus House restaurant in Orlando that's just in the saddest loving spot. I've only ever gone in the evening on Fridays, and every single time it's completely dead. At most you'll have two or three people inside a decently sized quick service restaurant, but yesterday my family was the only people there at all.

Why are they so dead? They're in the same building as a bank, with the sign tucked underneath a concrete and stucco overhang instead of being placed on the overhang where it would be visible from the road. If you're not specifically looking there as you drive past, you won't see it.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a Hummus House restaurant in Orlando that's just in the saddest loving spot. I've only ever gone in the evening on Fridays, and every single time it's completely dead. At most you'll have two or three people inside a decently sized quick service restaurant, but yesterday my family was the only people there at all.

Why are they so dead? They're in the same building as a bank, with the sign tucked underneath a concrete and stucco overhang instead of being placed on the overhang where it would be visible from the road. If you're not specifically looking there as you drive past, you won't see it.

There's a restaurant in Columbus, near my dad's place, that has a similar problem. For the longest time it was a reasonably successful Chinese takeout, then it changed hands and it's never lasted more than a year with the same hands since. It's not visible from the major road unless you're going westbound or you drive past the turnoff east-bound.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MisterBibs posted:

I think the location is cursed for a bar/restaurant.
It's A Thing, Anthony Bourdain mentioned it in one of his books. As others have said, it's probably just a bad location, but the previous owners included the equipment in the sale, so it's attractive to the next buyer. On the other hand, I've seen places in a decent location change hands multiple times in a few years, presumably because after the first two fail, it gets a reputation of "oh, it's going to go under soon anyway, I'll try it out but won't get attached to it," which cuts down on their supply of regular customers.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Here's an armed robbery not going as planned: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-09/new-zealand-kebab-owner-ignores-gunman/7583026

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He gives the customer his sandwich too!

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

He gives the customer his sandwich too!

The kebabs must be served no matter the risk!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

chitoryu12 posted:

There was a fantastic little Mexican food place near my office like that. Terrible location, no street signage at all, but they had enough business to stay afloat since it was a couple and their kids & family running it. I used to go there all the time. About a year ago they let me know that they'd be closing. The landlord was almost doubling the rent, and refused to let them put a sign up on the marquee along the two major roads (it was a set-back strip mall behind two larger stores) that fronted it. It made me sad, as they were wonderful people and served great food, but the huge rent increase was just more than they could handle.

Last I heard they had purchased a food truck, and had gone into the lunch truck & catering business. Hope they do well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94SKl5gmtQw Failarmy!

Man there are a few painful looking ones in there, fair warning.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
4:10 - my spine twinged just watching that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

A White Guy posted:

It's not that the bar is cursed, it's that its a lovely location for a bar.

I was kinda being facetious about it, but the weirdest thing is that it's not a terrible location. It's right next to a rather high-traffic (for a suburb) road, as part of a strip mall full of stores that have lasted as long as I've lived here. Off the top of my head, the only major negatives about its location is that the the nearest turns to get in it are either a) far before the building or b) just past the place, depending on the direction you go. But it's hardly inaccessible!

Bonus schadenfreude for the place? Before I drove there to check if it was actually closed or not, I tried finding them on Facebook. After all, the dudes who ran Bar B let the owners of Bar C have the Facebook page, maybe'll be there still for a bit. Nope, its deleted.

What I did find was the probably-intended-to-be-private facebook page for staff members, which only the manager/owner posted in, a total of twice.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

The Locator posted:

There was a fantastic little Mexican food place near my office like that. Terrible location, no street signage at all, but they had enough business to stay afloat since it was a couple and their kids & family running it. I used to go there all the time. About a year ago they let me know that they'd be closing. The landlord was almost doubling the rent, and refused to let them put a sign up on the marquee along the two major roads (it was a set-back strip mall behind two larger stores) that fronted it. It made me sad, as they were wonderful people and served great food, but the huge rent increase was just more than they could handle.

Last I heard they had purchased a food truck, and had gone into the lunch truck & catering business. Hope they do well.

Which is the Schadenfreude part?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I got multiple schadgasms from the quad clip

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
There was a situation like that restaurant thing in my neighborhood but it's the dude who's running it is cursed. He's the son of a retired rich guy and is an astonishing gently caress up.

First he had a bar on the Eastside of Portland shut down because an employee was dealing coke out of the bathroom. He moved over to the far Westside and opened a new bar. A little while after that he was arrested for selling coke out of the new bathroom, and hurriedly transferred ownership to his lovely rich dad. Dad runs the place while he serves out his prison term, and actually makes it an okay success as an old-people hookup bar (it earned the name Sad Dad Dance Bar around this time). The kid was in for about 2 years, when he gets out he starts working for his dad at the bar again.

In under 2 months after his release the kid is once again arrested and the bar is shut down for good. I think everyone can guess what he got popped for, but for clarity's sake, yes he was selling more loving coke out of the goddamn bathroom.

Last month a nice older black guy turned it into a southern breakfast place which rules unbelievably hard.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I hope you all get ebola next time you eat out.

Have a feral pig wreaking havoc in a restaurant.

http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=d71_1467982961

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

:rock: OPEN THIS loving PIT UP :rock:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Matador gored to death by bull

GOOD

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So long as this means we get to rejoice over other versions of death-by-machismo, I'm all for it!

(Totally sincere btw)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WarpedNaba posted:

So long as this means we get to rejoice over other versions of death-by-machismo, I'm all for it!

(Totally sincere btw)

I dunno about death by machismo, but if you're dying in the process of torturing an innocent animal to death, as the direct result of torturing that animal to death, don't expect a lot of sympathy from the civilised parts of the world.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Memento posted:

I dunno about death by machismo, but if you're dying in the process of torturing an innocent animal to death, as the direct result of torturing that animal to death, don't expect a lot of sympathy from the civilised parts of the world.

:same:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Memento posted:

Yeah, this. If the matador had paint-soaked gloves that he could use to slap a handprint on the animal, instead of killing it, I'd be down with the idea. As it is, gently caress people who are killing just for sport.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I can already hear the indignant teeth grinding of assholes chomping at the bit to defend their 'cultural' animal torture.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
I don't mind killing for fun, but having a dozen guys poke the animal half to death first is just unsporting. Now, just a man with a sword going toe-to-toe with a bull I could get behind.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, this. If the matador had paint-soaked gloves that he could use to slap a handprint on the animal, instead of killing it, I'd be down with the idea. As it is, gently caress people who are killing just for sport.

Even better, make it a paintbrush and hold an art competition afterwards.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

As it is, gently caress people who are killing just for sport.

:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

I don't mind killing for fun, but having a dozen guys poke the animal half to death first is just unsporting. Now, just a man with a sword going toe-to-toe with a bull I could get behind.

You can get behind it. You can turn left but some days the bull gets you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWAIjYs9Lws