Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

alright so I picked Marchand because he'd be a really good winger for Tavares for a few reasons. Mostly because he's good without the puck and with a puck hog like Tavares that's important.

Dude had 37 goals last year and while his previous best was 28 it doesn't seem too fluky as he actually shot below his career shooting percentage on the season (14.8 vs 15). He just shot the puck a hell of a lot more than he ever has before and that seems easier to repeat going forward. I also appreciate the agitating shithead aspect that he brings to a line.

And then there's the fancies:

so his shot suppression (and generation) would be really really good with Tavares as JT generates shots like few others but can give up quite a few as well.

I'd probably break up the top line of Marchand - Tavares - Kucherov and put Kucherov on the second line as I think he can carry a line on his own when he's hot but it'd be really cool to see those guys play together for a full season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I seriously don't understand how you guys let Pietrangelo fall to the third round

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tofes posted:

I seriously don't understand how you guys let Pietrangelo fall to the third round

His fancy stats put his "elite" qualifications into question. I say this as a fella who picked him in the first round last year.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I was going to take another D but I just cant pass up making the next post
<puts on his Burke wig and tie>

Its clear Calgary needs something up front now. We need a goalscorer, a forward that can put up points against the best teams in the league every night.

A guy with charisma
http://i.imgur.com/9ybS19Y.mp4

A guy willing to step up to any opposition

A guy that gets along well with others

A true role model for the team

And the most punchable face in hockey

Welcome aboard gently caress Corey Perry!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

gently caress Corey Perry.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

tofes posted:

are you talking about alex pietrangelo?

no, which makes me feel dumb for not seeing alex pietrangelo on the board

the Florida Panthers select Hampus Lindholm. his possession stats are great, his expected goal numbers are very good, his zone transition play is great and he drives possession and scoring chances in a pretty ridiculous way. he's 22 and under control for 4 more years. my swedish defense will reign supreme

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

no, which makes me feel dumb for not seeing alex pietrangelo on the board

the Florida Panthers select Hampus Lindholm. his possession stats are great, his expected goal numbers are very good, his zone transition play is great and he drives possession and scoring chances in a pretty ridiculous way. he's 22 and under control for 4 more years. my swedish defense will reign supreme

drat yoooou. He was so close I thought he would fall 'cause he doesn't score a lot.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

drat yoooou. He was so close I thought he would fall 'cause he doesn't score a lot.

He did a fair amount except last season. Still a good super young #1D who shouldn't have fallen.

It's funny to see Pietrangelo and McDonagh drop this far. I picked both with my first two picks two years ago thinking they'd be a Pronger-Niedermayer type of dominant duo to either play nearly 30 minutes together to shut down top-heavy teams or apart for deep ones. But the fancy stats on shot quality say they've both struggled at preventing high quality scoring chances (while still being #1Ds in other metrics).

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Hey, I'm still out. But I'll take Jake Voracek.

First line of Seguin-Backstrom-Voracek? :getin:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've got 2/3rds of a 1st line and the #1 defensemen I covet are all starting to fall so I'd like to nip this in the bud.

The Arizona Coyotes select Seth Jones
He's a 21 year-old mammoth of a blue-liner already well on his way to being an elite player in the NHL. There are a few better young defensemen I considered but what pushed him over the edge for me was his fresh, long-term contract and slight edge in age. He's a cornerstone worth building a team around and it's a steal getting him in the 3rd round.

Flyinglemur is up.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

mentholmoose posted:

Hey, I'm still out. But I'll take Jake Voracek.

First line of Seguin-Backstrom-Voracek? :getin:

God drat that's a dank first line

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I've got 2/3rds of a 1st line and the #1 defensemen I covet are all starting to fall so I'd like to nip this in the bud.

The Arizona Coyotes select Seth Jones
He's a 21 year-old mammoth of a blue-liner already well on his way to being an elite player in the NHL. There are a few better young defensemen I considered but what pushed him over the edge for me was his fresh, long-term contract and slight edge in age. He's a cornerstone worth building a team around and it's a steal getting him in the 3rd round.

Flyinglemur is up.

You bastard.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

God drat that's a dank first line

wait til you see his defense

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
So can i pick first thing in the morning? I'm away from my computer and didn't think it would get back to me today but i underestimated all of your social lives on a weekend.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Flyinglemur posted:

So can i pick first thing in the morning? I'm away from my computer and didn't think it would get back to me today but i underestimated all of your social lives on a weekend.

you can pick now if you like please keep picking so i can pick

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Because we pause at 10 pm anyway right?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Yeah we suspend the 2 hour clock from 10 pm to 10 am so if you don't pick you don't get skipped until 12 the next day

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah except if you're posting here you should just pick.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah except if you're posting here you should just pick.

I have enough time to check this thread but not to research my pick, genius

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

If you post after 10 pm and you don't pick til the next morning you better have the best writeup of the draft when you do choose somebody.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Who should I send a list to for tomorrow?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I've been phone posting all draft because my computer died, but my new one should be here any day now and when I do, I'll fix up a Sharks page and start updating my picks and cap hits

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

FBS posted:

If you post after 10 pm and you don't pick til the next morning you better have the best writeup of the draft when you do choose somebody.

Just checked the rules, didn't see that there. Again - real life happened and I didn't have time to make my pick. I could be a dickbag and wait until 11:59 AM and post my pick but seriously, I'm not that guy.

So for the third round pick, the Anaheim Mighty Ducks of Aneheim select John Carlson

BOOMER, YOU'RE UP

edit: I understand everyone's frustration that it seemed that I was holding poo poo up but it wasn't intentional and I'm not putting enough strategy into this to have anything like "picks in advance".

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 10, 2016

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Flyinglemur posted:

Just checked the rules, didn't see that there. Again - real life happened and I didn't have time to make my pick. I could be a dickbag and wait until 11:59 AM and post my pick but seriously, I'm not that guy.

So for the third round pick, the Anaheim Mighty Ducks of Aneheim select John Carlson

BOOMER, YOU'RE UP

edit: I understand everyone's frustration that it seemed that I was holding poo poo up but it wasn't intentional and I'm not putting enough strategy into this to have anything like "picks in advance".

I'm so loving frustrated JUST LET ME PICK

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So I am pretty sure I sent a list to Jordan7hm but it's not showing up in sent messages. I am working tomorrow but will let you guys know if I can't pick. I probably can, I just ask the favor of one of you saying "Brodeur's Nanny is up" so I can check at work and know to pick.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Toronto takes Kevin Shattenkirk.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
standby.

Otis Reddit fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 10, 2016

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Otis Reddit posted:

Ryan McDonagh!

Taken already

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
..err... Keith Yandle

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Otis Reddit posted:

..err... Keith Yandle

You arguably lucked into a better player depending on where you stand on the fancy stats beliefs.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

So I am pretty sure I sent a list to Jordan7hm but it's not showing up in sent messages. I am working tomorrow but will let you guys know if I can't pick. I probably can, I just ask the favor of one of you saying "Brodeur's Nanny is up" so I can check at work and know to pick.

I didn't get it.

The RECAPITATOR is up followed by ThinkTank and Paulocaust.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

It's fine I can pick. I go in like ten picks or something right!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Can I pick yet?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Can I pick yet?

you can as of 201 est

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Okay after much consideration I take TJ Brodie

Paulocast you're up.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 10, 2016

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Give me Ryan Getzlaf

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Does someone want to be cool and text me when it's my turn so we don't have to wait 2 hours?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Paulocaust posted:

Give me Ryan Getzlaf

Somehow I knew you'd be the one to do this.

He probably has more good years left in him than Thornton anyway.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Sorry for being late, had a birthday lunch to attend. I'll go with Alex Galchenyuk. Seems like a decent kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Getzlaf had his worst sh% in years and is probably going to have a big bounce back year and get back up to 70 pts.

A really good pick.

• Locked thread