Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Khizan posted:

Watching him just eyeball those plunge cuts with the circular saw is even more impressive imo.

And drawing lines parallel to the edge using only a pencil and a tape measure.

poo poo. New page:

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Larry Haun wrote a book about his upbringing, working in the post-WW2 construction boom I'm California, and his general life philosophy. It's not a construction book by any means - actually pretty granola/Greenpeace - but it's worth a read (it's short). He seemed like a pretty level-headed, chill dude, which comes across in his videos.

His rafter framing video is great. Sinking 16d nails in 2 swings, framing hips like a boss

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I'm pretty sure I could jerk it to that masonry video and finish.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Laminator posted:

Larry Haun wrote a book about his upbringing, working in the post-WW2 construction boom I'm California, and his general life philosophy. It's not a construction book by any means - actually pretty granola/Greenpeace - but it's worth a read (it's short). He seemed like a pretty level-headed, chill dude, which comes across in his videos.

His rafter framing video is great. Sinking 16d nails in 2 swings, framing hips like a boss

He wrote a bunch of stuff in Fine Homebuilding magazine. His article on eyeballing cuts and making them square is awesome.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mostlygray posted:

He wrote a bunch of stuff in Fine Homebuilding magazine. His article on eyeballing cuts and making them square is awesome.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/1998/09/01/fast-and-accurate-framing-cuts-without-lines
This one? Because the guy had me at "rainbow suspenders"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The trap under my kitchen sink in my sub-1-year old house was leaking so I pulled it apart to find out why. The connection to the bottom of the sink was bent slightly and broke the seal because the whole trap was torqued by the exit pipe being about 1/2" too high and being at a funny angle. The funny angle was about 5-10° upwards.

I contained it for £5 of parts but I'll have a word with the builder when I see him next, the hole needs re-drilling at the right angle.

E: guess what some twerp said last February:

Cakefool posted:

Okay, there were three houses, we were only interested in 2 due to the positions on-site. Neither had 2nd fix yet but what we could see of the exposed wiring and plumbing was actually reassuring, not messy or tight(tails not too short etc)Appliances & bathroom furniture & cabinetry going in was good stuff. Insulation being installed was good (& deep in the attic). Exposed roof structure in the garage was very good, about the best I've seen in terms of decent timber, neat angles, general fit & finish. Paint on the walls was decent but matt, we have sticky children so I can see some silk going on later.

Walls were straight, right angles everywhere, plumbing looked like someone cared. I'm impressed, we're going to go for it. I'll be more invasive when we go back & 2nd fix is done.

I'm amazed basically.

:lol:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 9, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cakefool posted:

The trap under my kitchen sink in my sub-1-year old house was leaking so I pulled it apart to find out why. The connection to the bottom of the sink was bent slightly and broke the seal because the whole trap was torqued by the exit pipe being about 1/2" too high and being at a funny angle. The funny angle was about 5-10° upwards.

I contained it for £5 of parts but I'll have a word with the builder when I see him next, the hole needs re-drilling at the right angle.

E: guess what some twerp said last February:

:lol:

Lol welp if you went out there and actually measured angles, it's clearly on you. Otherwise, seems that 5 or 10 degrees might be a little tough to eyeball, right?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well I didn't get a level on the pipe when I saw the house initially and it's virtually impossible to see without crawling under the sink after the kitchen was finished, chalk it up to something I didn't expect to have to measure? Is it too much to expect a plumber to know water drains better down than uphill?

My task for the next couple of weeks is a detailed inspection on anything I can get to without demo. I'll also borrow the boroscope from work for harder to get to stuff. I may have hilarious photos for the thread later.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Is it too much to expect a plumber to know water drains better down than uphill?
Considering it has a trap, does it really matter that much? Unless the English enjoy the smell of sewer gas, all water going down your drain should have to flow up till straight up after going through the trap. Sorry if I sound calous, I mean I would also prefer to have downhill instead of uphill pipes, but I am curious to know if it actually is a big deal, considering its (hopefully) only uphill for a foot between the sink drain and the wall.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Well I didn't get a level on the pipe when I saw the house initially and it's virtually impossible to see without crawling under the sink after the kitchen was finished, chalk it up to something I didn't expect to have to measure? Is it too much to expect a plumber to know water drains better down than uphill?

My task for the next couple of weeks is a detailed inspection on anything I can get to without demo. I'll also borrow the boroscope from work for harder to get to stuff. I may have hilarious photos for the thread later.

That's what I mean, you can forgive yourself because it would have been pretty hard to see without a level.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think this meant to be here

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

slap me silly posted:

You're right, thank you. And if anyone is wondering, the answer is "because Russia". Have another

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Nitrox posted:

You're right, thank you. And if anyone is wondering, the answer is "because Russia". Have another

I've seen places paved with old roofing tiles look smoother then that.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've seen places paved with old roofing tiles look smoother then that.
Paved? What paved? It is traditional Russian quilt, comrade.

Here is a Russian motion sensor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

slap me silly posted:

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Nitrox posted:

Sup, thread

I recently stayed in a lovely hotel with a similar setup, but at least they had the sense to hide the outdoor half of the system in the closet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

Considering it has a trap, does it really matter that much? Unless the English enjoy the smell of sewer gas, all water going down your drain should have to flow up till straight up after going through the trap. Sorry if I sound calous, I mean I would also prefer to have downhill instead of uphill pipes, but I am curious to know if it actually is a big deal, considering its (hopefully) only uphill for a foot between the sink drain and the wall.

Sorry, to clarify this is the trap:

It goes here

The hole in the wall is too high and goes up. There's about a metre of pipe that sits full of manky sink water as well as the trap.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Nitrox posted:

If you hadn't said that was a Russian road, I would have sworn that was in Oklahoma.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

immoral_ posted:

If you hadn't said that was a Russian road, I would have sworn that was in Oklahoma.

When I lived there I used to tell people"you know how sometimes you drive over a new, black stretch of road and it's all smooth and quiet? That's how every road is everywhere else in this country"

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

immoral_ posted:

I had the same thought.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

There comes a point where maybe you should stop trying to patch the road and just let it be gravel.

canyoneer posted:

When I lived there I used to tell people"you know how sometimes you drive over a new, black stretch of road and it's all smooth and quiet? That's how every road is everywhere else in this country"

I refuse to believe this is more appropriate for Oklahoma than for Michigan.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

immoral_ posted:

You can tell yourself that it is in fact, Oklahoma and nobody would be mad.

Cakefool posted:

It goes here

The hole in the wall is too high and goes up. There's about a metre of pipe that sits full of manky sink water as well as the trap.
It would be way better if that hole was lower, but it's god enough to function. The problem is that stupid extension with dishwasher adapter. You can do a much smaller and slimmer drain arrangement and not have loads of water sit in the pipe.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-Mfg-Co-1-1-2-in-Plastic-P-trap/1070139
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-Mfg-Co-1-1-2-in-Pvc-Direct-Connect-Branch-Tailpiece/3426662

Stair your bend right after the waste water nipple and it will shorten the entire assembly.

Actually that huge plastic bell end strainer can also be replaced with a slimmer alternative to get more height.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 11, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

"Waste Water Nipple" and "Huge Plastic Bell End" would be pretty good usernames.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g75D1vJEfxQ

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am a little curious as to how that situation arose such that they're ready to film it, but didn't move anything from the danger zone.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
One theory is she wanted to film the cracking noises.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Yet another "How Not to Build a Shed"!

https://m.imgur.com/a/8w1xW

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Roofing that was probably a pants-making GBS threads experience

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
You'd think it wouldn't' be that hard to design and make something quadrilateral based on multiples of 4. I get screwing up the rafters because cutting those is a dark art for those of us who don't do it frequently, but how do you gently caress up framing and sheating that badly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I literally built better shed/forts as a kid when I was like 10.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Overlapping sheathing instead of cutting it was my favorite.

Did he do it completely wasted?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

stealie72 posted:

You'd think it wouldn't' be that hard to design and make something quadrilateral based on multiples of 4. I get screwing up the rafters because cutting those is a dark art for those of us who don't do it frequently, but how do you gently caress up framing and sheating that badly.
It's not so much screwing up the basics for me, it's the fact they just kept going. Someone actually nailed down those floors with lovely overlaps and thought 'yea ok, this works, what's next?'. They actually painted the whole thing, which means they had to stare at their brush passing over the gaps in the walls and every other disaster and didn't blink. I have done some really terrible work in my life, but it's always been followed immediately by saying 'Ohhh poo poo, I need a professional now'.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Your mistake is assuming that this was designed. The design process for this almost certainly began and ended at "I should build a shed."

Speaking as someone who did design and build a shed, there's a surprising number of ways to make subtle fuckups that won't scuttle the project but will make it considerably more annoying to build. Not that anything excuses that monstrosity though.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Your mistake is assuming that this was designed. The design process for this almost certainly began and ended at "I should build a shed."
Fair enough. But Christ, all you have to do is lay a tape measure on the ground and the colors will tell you where to put things better than this guy did. Like Baronjutter said, I would have made fun of this if my friends built it as a woods fort in middle school.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gounads posted:

Overlapping sheathing instead of cutting it was my favorite.

Did he do it completely wasted?

I would watch Wasted Construction on TV all day, but then I guess somebody might die.

"Okay John here is going to try to build a nice deck; but first, some shots..."

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Zaphod42 posted:

I would watch Wasted Construction on TV all day, but then I guess somebody might die.

"Okay John here is going to try to build a nice deck; but first, some shots..."

Every episode would have a featured "Hold my beer and watch this!" segment.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wouldn't argue with that shed builder since he's obviously strong as gently caress now by chopping all those 2x4s down to size and hammering in wood screws

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

moist turtleneck posted:

I wouldn't argue with that shed builder since he's obviously strong as gently caress now by chopping all those 2x4s down to size and hammering in wood screws

I guess hammered screws are kind of like ring-shank nails? :v:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I guess hammered screws are kind of like ring-shank nails? :v:
I recently learned of the existence of these: http://www.fascoamerica.com/products/scrail-the-faster-fastener.html

If I understand correctly, they go in like a nail using a nail gun, but you can back them out like a screw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I looked at that whole thing but I still can't believe it exists.