Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Epic High Five posted:

I dunno, they'll feel emboldened but no goddamn way 99% of the racist wing of the GOP is going to march into a seething mass of minority protesters just to endorse Trump, especially when like every single other notable GOPer has said they aren't attending and the funding is so bad they'll be eating off-brand chicken nuggets
Oh I didn't mean for the convention or election, I meant for starting a race war. I don't think I have seen a better time to start one in my lifetime if one were so inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

My dad showing me West Wing when I was 8-9 years old got me into politics. Or John Larroquette threatening to bludgeon people with a cricket bat got me into politics. Either way, I enjoy that show far too much. Except for season 5 after like... the first 2 or 3 episodes. Then it gets unbearable until Alan Alda shows up.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
I wonder what the split on people who support openly burning the Qu'aran is for Trump. There's no crosstabs on it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Starting to feel like there will be more reporters covering the convention then actual attendees.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
Vice is just going to move down there for a month and dress all of their field people as Hunter Thompson, as per their editorial charter.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh I didn't mean for the convention or election, I meant for starting a race war. I don't think I have seen a better time to start one in my lifetime if one were so inclined.

They'll never get their race war that they want because they'll never participate in it. Just look at like Freepers and the Bundys and what not, it's all fantasizing about what other people will do.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

The West Wing is really good and you're doing yourself a disservice if you refuse to watch it.

I have a problem getting into Aaron Sorkin efforts because I watched the first episode of The Newsroom and it made me want to gnaw his Limousine Liberal throat out.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

I have a problem getting into Aaron Sorkin efforts because I watched the first episode of The Newsroom and it made me want to gnaw his Limousine Liberal throat out.
The Newsroom is more condensed him than West Wing, by a little bit.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Defiance posted:

I wonder what the split on people who support openly burning the Qu'aran is for Trump. There's no crosstabs on it.

I legitimately believe that the vast majority of polls do not want to be associated with results that confirm that a significant number of White Americans are for Book Burning and for Segregated Prom Ceremonies.

And I say this as a White guy who is loving flabbergasted that Itty Bitty Finger gently caress is leading the White vote versus Clinton. It's a damning statistic.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Samurai Sanders posted:

We're like 2 or 3 minutes to midnight on the RaHoWa Clock, yeah

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Newsroom is more condensed him than West Wing, by a little bit.

Newsroom is pretty eh, it has its moments, but it's still a lot better than Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Zeroisanumber posted:

there's definitely a lot of that sort of smug liberalism in the west wing, but like joementum said the show works in spite of sorkin

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I support the West Wing and any other program encouraging liberal politics don't get me wrong, but I'd never watch it

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
When Trump decided to start fundraising he spammed so hard that even some of the people who sell bulk e-mail addresses cut him off:

quote:

According to ReturnPath, 79% of Trump fundraising emails were caught in spam filters, an extremely high rate by industry standards, seemingly because Trump was using purchased or rented lists rather than ones the campaign had grown organically through campaign-related supporter sign ups.

At least one of the bulk email platforms Trump's campaign was using to send between 50 and 60 million emails moved rapidly to suspend his access because the "email in question has raised serious security and legal concerns among Adestra and other industry leaders."

Adestra, a U.K.-based email service platform, confirmed to C&E that within the last 48 hours it suspended service to Paramount Communication Group, the Beltway-based company working directly with Trump’s digital team who was reselling the platform's services. “Adestra, a leading global provider of innovative marketing technology software and services, has suspended services to one of its agency clients, which recently sent an email on behalf of the Trump Campaign,” Henry Hyder-Smith, co-founder and CEO of Adestra, said in a statement. “The email in question has raised serious security and legal concerns among Adestra and other industry leaders.”

Hyder-Smith added: “If we believe that a client is misusing the platform or not adhering to the high standards to which Adestra is committed, we may exercise our contractual option to suspend their service from sending email while still allowing them access to our products and their data.”

https://www.campaignsandelections.com/campaign-insider/growing-pains-for-trump-s-email-effort

quote:

As a variety of email experts have noted, the campaign’s initial email pitch was particularly problematic because it was sent from a previously unknown domain, triggering lots of spam filters.

quote:

Trump's email program also has a creative issue to resolve. When Trump’s creative first hit a rented list June 28, it received a 0.4 percent bounce-back rate, which is standard. When the Trump campaign provided the next round of creative, the emails were sent a second time to the same list on June 30 and the bounce-back rate was 5.5 percent, which raised a red flag, according to a consultant who rented email lists to the Trump campaign.

"Some lists had bounce rates in excess of 30 percent with that creative," according to the source.

Current industry benchmarks from Smart Insights and MailChimp put the average bounce (including hard bounces, soft bounces, complaints and unsubscribes) at 1.2 percent.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Oiled and Ready posted:

We're like 2 or 3 minutes to midnight on the RaHoWa Clock, yeah

RaHoWa doesn't start until 6AM so nobody can hide in the dark. If you'd attended the webinar you'd know.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Defiance posted:

RaHoWa doesn't start until 6AM so nobody can hide in the dark. If you'd attended the webinar you'd know.

I went to the winebar instead

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

RedQueen posted:

When Trump decided to start fundraising he spammed so hard that even some of the people who sell bulk e-mail addresses cut him off:

https://www.campaignsandelections.com/campaign-insider/growing-pains-for-trump-s-email-effort

this is ok though because trump is actually naturally super competent and good at politics stuff

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

broken clock opsec posted:

If he had won he would have paid with foundation money

a little old, but word on the street is that that's exactly what happened

( maybe that's :thejoke: )

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

TARDISman posted:

Newsroom is pretty eh, it has its moments, but it's still a lot better than Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

It has bad moments. A lot of them in a row. And then credits.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I support the West Wing and any other program encouraging liberal politics don't get me wrong, but I'd never watch it

The problem with the West Wing is it created a fantasy in a lot of young people of what politics is like (or could be, or should be), and then they got really pissed off and bitter when they discovered that real politics wasn't anything like it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bryter posted:

It has bad moments. A lot of them in a row. And then credits.

Yeah. It was one long condescending speech after another. I made it through three episodes before I just flat-out quit. Even liberal-rear end me thought that it was boring and preachy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RedQueen posted:

so is he legit running on fumes money wise? i thought he was rich enough to self fund.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bryter posted:

(((Wow!)))

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so is he legit running on fumes money wise? i thought he was rich enough to self fund.

I don't think there's anybody in the office who has a good grasp of how campaign money should be spent.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

He's gonna take public funding and spend 100% of it on Trump brand goods and services

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Donald Trump is rich enough to troll his way through a Republican primary campaign where his main competition is the dumb, underachieving Bush kid. He is not rich enough to win a general election campaign against Hillary Clinton with Barack Obama's organization.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The RNC demanded Trump start raising money for the party, so he's doing it in the most childish, passive-aggressive, lovely way possible.

I approve.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

ha ha lol

[edit] I've been wearing glasses for about 45 years now and though I am a complete oaf and retard I have never had the problem of my glasses getting weirdly stuck on my head way way over my ears.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Much of his worth is calculated on the value of his brand, as well as his properties. These are not liquid assets that can be tapped to fund a campaign. Also many of his businesses are assembled into an arcane web that makes no loving sense to me outside of being a way of storing his money or just vanity projects.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Neeksy posted:

Much of his worth is calculated on the value of his brand, as well as his properties.

When you put it that way, he's very clearly been self-funding to an enormous degree, trading on (and decreasing the value of) his personal brand, to purchase vast amounts of free media.

The only problem is that it's nice to have actual money at some point, for organizational purposes and whatnot.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Neeksy posted:

Much of his worth is calculated on the value of his brand, as well as his properties. These are not liquid assets that can be tapped to fund a campaign. Also many of his businesses are assembled into an arcane web that makes no loving sense to me outside of being a way of storing his money or just vanity projects.

If Trump has valuable but illiquid assets he could arrange to borrow the cash to self-fund using the property as collateral. He is the King of Debt after all.

But the truth is despite his big talk and whatever his actual net worth is, he doesn't want to throw out large sums of money on a campaign. He probably hates that he's put $50 million in already let alone $500 million. He'll continue to go as cheap as possible rather than put up additional large sums of money himself, that's for sure.

vvvv he does really look like that guy, I've thought that for awhile. vvvv I wonder if the doctor has secret tapes of Ivanka he listens to.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

RedQueen posted:

creative is an adjective, not a noun please correct

• Locked thread