Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I heard they got fewer furious letters over Kirk and Uhura than they expected. I think the only one that got reported was some Southern guy saying "I do not approve of the mixing of the races... however when a red blooded American like Kirk ends up with a woman who looks like Uhura in his arms, this response of his is only natural."

I'd agree that the progressive content of Trek in so far as representation goes can easily be overrated. The progressiveness in it that I see, fumbling and imperfect as it is, is more of an attitude thing: "the future will not necessarily be brutal grinding shittiness."

As for the money talk in the others in TOS: the obvious reason is that they hadn't decided the Federation was explicitly a moneyless economy at that point (even :ussr: had cash after all). But I imagine the hew-mons still knew what money was in the broad sense, sort of like a lot of farming metaphors are still broadly understood or used even if most people don't farm any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nessus posted:

I heard they got fewer furious letters over Kirk and Uhura than they expected. I think the only one that got reported was some Southern guy saying "I do not approve of the mixing of the races... however when a red blooded American like Kirk ends up with a woman who looks like Uhura in his arms, this response of his is only natural."

"I don't like the blacks but I sure would like to have sex with one."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FilthyImp posted:

Actually Voyager is very progressive. It shows us that alien blacktinas, negroid Vulcans, cat pedophiles, autistic robochicks, holohumans, space Indians and Harry KIm can all become boring, bland honkeys.

If that isn't utopian and a fulfillment of MLKjr's vision, then I don't know what is mate.

Also the best Trek was the Futurama tribute episode.
"Fascinating, Captain. And logical also"

It doesn't matter who you are, what you believe, or where you came from; you're telling bad jokes while sipping replicated tea in a set of technicolor pajamas.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rhyno posted:

Sulu's sexuality is so repressed that in STIII he locked another dude in a closet.

That was Uhura who locked a guy in a closet. Sulu flipped a big burly security guard on his back and told him "Don't call me Tiny."

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Cojawfee posted:

"I don't like the blacks but I sure would like to have sex with one."

- Earth, Jefferson, 1795

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Apollodorus posted:

- Earth, Jefferson, 1795

- Earth, Limbaugh, 2016

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

- Earth, Thurmond, 1924

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I think the point is, that's not an uncommon sentiment...

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013

Astroman posted:

Pegg just said something that's making the rounds to the effect of "things are different in this timeline, so for whatever reason Kelvin Sulu might have turned out gay but Prime Sulu might not be."

I suppose you could handwave the canon by saying that the more time passes since the Narada incursion, the more things will change. Kirk was born at that moment, Spock and McCoy are older as well. But the younger folks? Hikaru Sulu's parent's might have had a son in both timelines around the same time and named him Hikaru Sulu, but if he was conceived even seconds later, and a different sperm hit Mama Sulu's egg? You get a totally different person, perhaps one who is gay. :shrug:

I think all the differences between the normal universe and the new movies' timelines being attributed to the Kelvin/Narada encounter is kind of annoying and lazy, even as far as Star Trek reasoning is concerned. All things considered, a Romulan ship from the future isn't really that exceptional....well, I guess it did blow up Vulcan....but the Vulcans outside of Spock and their involvement in Enterprise the show, really have never been that critical to the franchise.

At the very least I wish the incident that changed the timeline so drastically was a more of a protracted conflict. Some weirdo Romulan mucking things up because he was demented just strikes me as a boring reason for the divergence. I'd rather the writers/creators just make it different just for the sake of novelty. Either come up with a thorough reason for the timeline divergence or just say it's a reboot and let it stand on its own Merritt.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Which Merritt? Stephen Merritt from the Magnetic Fields? Nathan Merritt formerly of the South Sydney Rabbitohs?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Allen_Aldo posted:

I think all the differences between the normal universe and the new movies' timelines being attributed to the Kelvin/Narada encounter is kind of annoying and lazy, even as far as Star Trek reasoning is concerned. All things considered, a Romulan ship from the future isn't really that exceptional....well, I guess it did blow up Vulcan....but the Vulcans outside of Spock and their involvement in Enterprise the show, really have never been that critical to the franchise.

Well, the changes in the timeline had to have happened long before the Kelvin/Narada incident. If Kirk's dad was serving in Starfleet, the timelines were already different.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Merritt Butrick

Cythereal posted:

Well, the changes in the timeline had to have happened long before the Kelvin/Narada incident. If Kirk's dad was serving in Starfleet, the timelines were already different.

I think the whole ST09 event was a crossover between parallel timelines, and those two sections of spacetime were entwined by the red matter or some other goddamn bullshit

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
But seriously, I wish people would just let more stories be retold in different versions without the differences having to be explained somehow. The X-Men movies have had weird time fuckery too, though the Spider-Man movies haven't and they've been rebooted TWICE.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cythereal posted:

If Kirk's dad was serving in Starfleet, the timelines were already different.

No? George Kirk was a starbase security officer.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Star Trek needs to get its head out of its rear end, seriously.

It's just about spaceships and exploring poo poo and the human condition expressed via alien cultures. It doesn't matter what is or is not canon.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Canon is great when used to effectively tell interesting stories, add to the feel of a real living universe and for the occasional bit of fan service for an anniversary episode or something

Like anything else, it's a depressing waste of a good thing when abused to market a bunch of "shared universe" horseshit or otherwise done poorly

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No? George Kirk was a starbase security officer.

Wasn't he a farmer in Iowa who hated his son's decision to join Starfleet?

Or am I getting him mixed up with Picard's family?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cythereal posted:

Wasn't he a farmer in Iowa who hated his son's decision to join Starfleet?

Or am I getting him mixed up with Picard's family?

That's Picard's dad. He was a winemaker.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That's Picard's dad. He was a winemaker.

I'm sure he was no mere winemaker. He was a vintner.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That's Picard's dad. He was a winemaker who died in an offscreen fire.

fixed.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

No that was his brother and nephew.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nessus posted:

As for the money talk in the others in TOS: the obvious reason is that they hadn't decided the Federation was explicitly a moneyless economy at that point (even :ussr: had cash after all). But I imagine the hew-mons still knew what money was in the broad sense, sort of like a lot of farming metaphors are still broadly understood or used even if most people don't farm any more.
Yeah it seems like the Federation still had some kind of money in the TOS era. Wasn't Cyrano Jones selling the tribbles for credits, to the Enterprise crew and in bulk to the bartender? Space Station K-7 didn't seem like a Starfleet station, but it was a Federation one. I figure at that point you probably didn't need money for much on the big planets, but still needed it out on the frontier since there were still limited goods. By the time replicators became common you wouldn't really need it even for that. By the TNG era credits seemed to be exclusively for when Federation citizens needed to deal with other societies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah that'd make sense, since presumably replicators got widespread in between TOS and TNG. That'd probably be the point where you just stop bother keeping count on a daily basis at all.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Stop trying to make TOS material fit with post-TNG 'canon'. The writing philosophies were totally different and no such intent to build a consistent universe existed.

Balance Of Terror refers to impulse as a slightly older FTL tech, for god's sake.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

mossyfisk posted:

Stop trying to make TOS material fit with post-TNG 'canon'. The writing philosophies were totally different and no such intent to build a consistent universe existed.

Balance Of Terror refers to impulse as a slightly older FTL tech, for god's sake.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tighclops posted:

Canon is great when used to effectively tell interesting stories, add to the feel of a real living universe and for the occasional bit of fan service for an anniversary episode or something

Like anything else, it's a depressing waste of a good thing when abused to market a bunch of "shared universe" horseshit or otherwise done poorly

I take the opposite view. I don't get why people get so blase or against canon, like it "ruins" the story.

These universes have a large, shared history. It's no different for me as a fan to learn and know about it than it would for me to learn and know about real history I'm interested in, like the Roman Empire. I wouldn't like to watch a documentary about the Roman Empire where they play fast and loose with poo poo I thought I already knew, and for me things like Star Trek are no different.

Plus it's not like the old days of the 60s-80s where most of the canon facts were hard to find, usually locked into the episodes themselves and you'd have to watch them all constantly to make sure you were being "correct." Nowadays all sorts of minutiae is cataloged and written about online and in reference books, easily indexed for anyone to see. And if a writer doesn't have time to factcheck, there are literally thousands of fans who would do it for free.

Changing up or ignoring established stuff about the fictional universe annoys the poo poo out of me, whether it's a biographical fact, technical detail, or something big like completely changing the physical appearance of a character (Zefram Cochrane, Khan) especially when new characters could have been slotted into their place easily. Some canon stuff is impossible to reconcile, especially when you are dealing with stuff from the 60s-80s, before there was a large shared universe with established facts, technology, and history. Thus we'll always have vagaries about Earth history from 1990-2100 that don't make sense, or stuff like the UESPA. But there's no excuse for modern Trek movies and shows, often written and made by fans, to gently caress up canon. :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Astroman posted:

These universes have a large, shared history. It's no different for me as a fan to learn and know about it than it would for me to learn and know about real history I'm interested in, like the Roman Empire. I wouldn't like to watch a documentary about the Roman Empire where they play fast and loose with poo poo I thought I already knew, and for me things like Star Trek are no different.

It's hard to take you seriously when you won't even fix your spellcheck back to Romulan. :rolleyes:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Otisburg posted:

It's hard to take you seriously when you won't even fix your spellcheck back to Romulan Rihannsu. :rolleyes:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Astroman posted:

Changing up or ignoring established stuff about the fictional universe annoys the poo poo out of me, whether it's a biographical fact, technical detail, or something big like completely changing the physical appearance of a character

You are That Guy, sorry.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah no loving kidding.

Saavik (which amusingly my phone autocorrects to David) isn't a real person, who cares if she looks like Rebecca Howe or like Tallera/T'paal. Come the gently caress on.

I mean jfc

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Astroman posted:

Changing up or ignoring established stuff about the fictional universe annoys the poo poo out of me, whether it's a biographical fact, technical detail, or something big like completely changing the physical appearance of a character (Zefram Cochrane, Khan) especially when new characters could have been slotted into their place easily.

Wait are you talking about casting? So you think if an actor gets injured or dies, or just has other commitments a show shouldn't use the character anymore? Or they should but only if they can book the original actors clone? I mean sometimes an actor can define a role to the point were recasting or replacement can hurt, but you seem to object to it happening ever.

I think times like the second part of Unification is saved by Leonard Nimoys return but someone like Ziyal from DS9 getting recast didn't seem to be that big of a deal, or the Borg Queen to pick a few examples*.

*I honestly didn't notice until I was told.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
To be honest, it did weaken Ziyal for me that they went through three different actors in as many episodes; it's hard to get a grip on a character when it feels like they're radically changing after every appearance.

(Plus, the last casting change felt like it was at least partially motivated by someone realizing "Crap, Garak and Ziyal is creepy as hell; quick, age her up a decade or so!")

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I think he's talking about more like when they decide Khan's a white guy or Zephram Cochrane's completely different personality between TOS and First Contact, rather than when they have to swap actors for real life reasons. If they had cast Saavik-A as, say, some Asian woman instead of another brunette Caucasian, it would be pretty distracting. And I agree with everything he said about canon, I like it when there's a rich in-universe environment to get immersed it. Otherwise it's like why bother even watching if anything that happens can be retconned later when some writer gets a different idea. I'm not talking about little things like messing up stardates or character's extended family trees or something like that, but when they can't keep straight the number of decks their starship has it just seems lazy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

egon_beeblebrox posted:

No that was his brother and nephew.

Agh. Now he's going to be bummed out next time he watches Family. :smith:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

There is no "quantum flux". There's no "auxiliary". THERE'S NO GODDAMNED SHIP. You got it?

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

Otisburg posted:

There is no "quantum flux". There's no "auxiliary". THERE'S NO GODDAMNED SHIP. You got it?

It's all real

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched "If Wishes were Horses" on my new DS9 runthrough and couldn't help thinking how awesome it would have been to have the Rumpelstiltskin from Once Upon a Time rather than that second rate goblin.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Knormal posted:

I think he's talking about more like when they decide Khan's a white guy or Zephram Cochrane's completely different personality between TOS and First Contact,

Cochrane had a personality in TOS?!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Cochrane had a personality in TOS?!

Standard issue 50s b-movie white male scientist. It's puzzling that they forgot his pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The best episode of Star Trek was "Galaxy Quest"