Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They have a mandate to do whatever they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Will George Brandis go down in history as Queensland's greatest legal mind?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
He's the only Queenslander with the connections to get the permit rubberstamped, so yes?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Well there was Carmody.

Tokamak posted:

Yes, 'mandate' technically means having command or authority to do something. And yes, that could be construed as having control of the lower house. But they don't even have a mandate from that definition because they don't have control of the senate.

So if mandate has gone from controlling both houses, to a substantial rep's majority, to being the governing party, then the word has lost all meaning. A government is expected to govern. If anything, repeating that you have a mandate when you clearly don't undermines your position. It comes off as a desperate gambit, and doesn't mean poo poo to the parliamentarians sitting in opposition.

It's not a well-defined term. Governments almost never have control of the Senate anyway; it's happened once in the past 30 years (Howard's last term) and Labor hasn't had control of the Senate since Chifley.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Bill Shorten just conceded defeat.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Anidav posted:

Quick, I just managed to cash out of my bets for Labor forming government for $2.40!

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Nooooooo billy noooooooo

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
well it was fun while it lasted, i was hoping for a hung parliament for maximum chaos

turnbull forming a bare majority is sort of anti-climactic, is there any chance the LNP ends up with just 75 and forms a minority government?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

TheIllestVillain posted:

well it was fun while it lasted, i was hoping for a hung parliament for maximum chaos

turnbull forming a bare majority is sort of anti-climactic, is there any chance the LNP ends up with just 75 and forms a minority government?

Sure. Bill Shorten even mentioned this in his concession speech.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

But what is he saying about the election result.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
For maximum hilarity, there should be no pairing arrangements in the parliament.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

For maximum hilarity, there should be no pairing arrangements in the parliament.

Some tory gets sick, no confidence motion passes, government implodes!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
But what does this mean for Kevin Rudds leadership ambitions?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What are pairing arrangements? From what's been said in this thread it's basically if you're not present you don't vote?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How long before Abbot is pm again

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Dude McAwesome posted:

What are pairing arrangements? From what's been said in this thread it's basically if you're not present you don't vote?

If a member can't be present for a vote because of personal reasons or whatever, convention was the other side would have someone abstain from voting to even the numbers. Abbott blew that convention up

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: Yeah that, ^^^^

Dude McAwesome posted:

Basically if say a MP's mother is about to die, a pair may be granted where a member of the opposition will agree to not vote also so that said MP's absence does not affect the outcome.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What if, say, arrangements were to be made where one could attend parliamentary sittings remotely and vote?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

It is an informal agreement where if someone is sick or can't attend for legitimate reasons, the opposing party will choose someone to abstain from voting. It is customary to always grant pairs for legitimate requests. However in 2010, Abbott refused to grant pairs when Gillard formed minority government. There was a situation where someone was refused a pair to attend the birth of their child, and another when their kid was sick.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

16 weeks.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

SynthOrange posted:

Until the universe ends, begins, and all that was is again. Time is a flat circle, etc...

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
lol! Turnbull won (sort of). Suck it down plebs. This is what you almost voted for. Their first move is to put their old stinky made in a Bathurst kindergarten outhouse budget to the new parliament. And so it starts.

NTATA for god king!

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I am, honest to goodness, starting to hate my country. That's never happened before.

edit: and I really want to bash whoever gave me the new avatar, not funny or fair

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 10, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

ScreamingLlama posted:

not funny or fair

It seems reasonable to me :confused:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
3 years, 2 treasurers and 1 election later Hockeynomics still cannot fail, it can only be failed.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gay picnic defence posted:

It seems reasonable to me :confused:

you can go get hosed

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer
Please don't go into a meltdown like your Let's Play Cyber Nations thread.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
lmao:

Two weeks before the federal election, Michael Liu noticed something odd.

Melbourne groups on WeChat – the Chinese Facebook – were lighting up with pro-Liberal posts and articles. In group chats of up to 500 people, commentators attacked the ALP and spread claims that voting Labor would lead to vast increases in refugee numbers which would mean fewer family visas, or suggesting that the Safe Schools program would mean boys could use girls’ toilets.

Liu, a Melbourne ALP activist and blogger on Chinese-Australian issues, tried to counter what he saw as a disinformation campaign but was hounded out and banned from many groups.

“It was almost like a religious cult,” he says. “If you did not believe in the holy dogma, you’d be harassed and abused.”

Liu took screenshots of many conversations. In one, a Glen Eira councillor, Kelvin Ho, seemed to suggest that legalising same-sex marriage would lead to approval of bestiality. Ho later apologised but claimed he had been mistranslated.

What Liu had uncovered was a volunteer-run social media campaign conducted entirely in Chinese, designed to hurt Labor.

The architect of that scheme was Gladys Liu, the Liberal party communities engagement committee chairwoman for Victoria.

She says the campaign was behind the upset result in Chisholm, in Melbourne’s east, where the Liberals bucked a nationwide trend and snatched the marginal seat from Labor. The retirement of a well-regarded sitting member, Anna Burke, and the Country Fire Authority and Skyrail controversies may also have played a role.

But Gladys Liu points to results from voting booths in Box Hill, where more than 20% of voters are Chinese speakers, which registered a first-preference swing of 4.2% to the Liberal candidate, Julie Banks, and 5.6% away from Labor.

“In the booth results, we did very well in Box Hill and the upper end of the electorate, as well as neighbouring seats like Deakin and Kooyong with higher Chinese demographics,” Gladys Liu says.

In the 2011 census more than 15% of Chisholm residents were recorded as speaking a Chinese language at home and there has been significant Chinese migration since then. In the adjacent electorate of Deakin, covering Blackburn through to Croydon, the 2011 figure is 7.5%, while the electorate of Kooyong – Kew to Balwyn – sits at 9.3%.

“If you ask how many Chinese people read mainstream news, the percentage is so, so low,” Gladys Liu says. “But the first thing they do in the morning is turn on the phone and go to WeChat straight away.”

She says the campaign was run by volunteers like herself and centred on three issues: the Safe Schools controversy, same-sex marriage and economic management.

“A lot of parents don’t agree with letting boys go into a girls’ toilet,” she says. “They strongly opposed the Safe Schools program. Cross-dressing and transgender – this is something they found difficult to accept. Chinese believe same-sex [marriage] is against normal practice.

“Chinese people come to Australia because they want good things for the next generation, not to be destroyed – they use the word destroyed – [by] same-sex, transgender, intergender. All this rubbish.”

Gladys Liu says refugees were also a key issue for Chinese voters. “If Labor is going to open the gate and let refugees in, that will affect people here and their lives here,” she says.

But she denies that there was an orchestrated disinformation campaign. “If Labor policies are good, they can dominate WeChat,” she says. “But Chinese don’t like their policies.”

She distances the party from Ho’s statements. “We cannot control any individual. [Ho] can only represent himself. He did not represent the party’s view.”

The Labor candidate for Chisholm, Stefanie Perri, says the WeChat campaign hurt her chances.

“There clearly was a campaign that ran through WeChat, appealing to people’s fears and spreading untruths specifically designed to turn the Chinese community against [Labor],” she says. “It was lowest-common-denominator politics. It played on their greatest fears.”

She saw posts claiming Labor would increase the refugee quota at the expense of Chinese migrants. “There was clearly no factual basis but it was very opportunistic,” she says.

The New South Wales Labor Senate candidate Paul Han says the campaign also ran in Chinese-heavy seats in Sydney. He criticised the tactics in a Chinese-language press release a week out from the election.

“It is definitely systematic, organised and pushed by a team of political activists,” he says. “It spreads so fast and took everyone by surprise. The purpose is very obvious. But it is a very dirty tactic.”

Han says he saw pro-Liberal posters circulating a voting survey on WeChat immediately after posting anti-Labor claims – 80% of respondents said they would now not vote Labor.

The WeChat campaign has been a rare success for the Liberals in the nationwide battle for ethnic-minority votes. Labor ran effective ads on its Save Medicare campaign in several languages other than English. On Tuesday senior Liberal sources told SBS the party leadership had not focused on the multicultural vote.

Australia’s Chinese community were sympathetic to Labor during the migration waves of the 1980s and 90s, due in part to gratitude for Bob Hawke’s decision to let Chinese students stay after the Tiananmen Square massacre. But later migrants who come on investor visas are more receptive to business-oriented Liberal policies, according to Jieh-Yung Lo, the co-founder of Poliversity, a partisan organisation trying to increase the cultural diversity of the Labor party.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

ScreamingLlama posted:

and I really want to bash whoever gave me the new avatar, not funny or fair

It could be worse

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

So we have to wait until at least 13 days after the election before we get the results for the senate?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Snod. posted:

It could be worse

Softly brays

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

ScreamingLlama posted:

you can go get hosed

It's a badass 'tar

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

I get mocked for noticing this by people I know, but both Bill and Malcolm have taken a real liking to wearing orange ties.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

ScreamingLlama posted:

I am, honest to goodness, starting to hate my country. That's never happened before.

edit: and I really want to bash whoever gave me the new avatar, not funny or fair

It's not a sex thing

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
What the gently caress is an "investor visa"?

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

It's not a sex thing

lol

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Out of curiosity and research how are Aboriginal rights going these days?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Next the PC police will want to call it womandate. You couldn't make it up!

Excuse me, that's woperchilddate. Check you are privilege.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Ket posted:

What the gently caress is an "investor visa"?

when people buy a visa for cold hard cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Out of curiosity and research how are Aboriginal rights going these days?

heh

• Locked thread