Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, he wanted all of it to make sure nothing was discovered, don't get why he didn't use Killer Queen to snatch it away instead though since it's way easier to do since Stands are invisible and can't be touched by people unless they have Stands or the Stand wants to and all that. He wouldn't even have to be facing them to do it!
Just saying, that's probably why he didn't just "Delete" it when Fatty's back was turned.

Besides which, I don't feel like Kira ever particularly liked using his special abilities. I mean, sure, they're convenient - do his job for him - but they fly in the face of everything else he believes in: keeping a low profile, living modestly. He dislikes attention, dislikes fighting and confrontation. He has no ambitions beyond continuing his current lifestyle. Having powers makes him "Special," and whenever he exercises those powers he risks drawing attention he doesn't want. Suppose the boy turns around and sees his sandwich bag floating in midair? Suppose someone else sees? He'd sure be the talk of the town then. Taking the long route, even if he gets caught, he's "Only" some weirdo trying to steal a kid's lunch.

You could also make the excuse he wasn't thinking properly, being under pressure and all that, on the verge of being discovered by pure accident. Human beings aren't always beholden to making the optimal choice, especially not under stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

You could also make the excuse he wasn't thinking properly, being under pressure and all that, on the verge of being discovered by pure accident. Human beings aren't always beholden to making the optimal choice, especially not under stress.

It's probably this. One of the really unique things about Kira is that most of the time we see him he's under equal or even greater psychological pressure than the heroes, and has to fight an uphill battle against both the heroes and his own issues in order to get himself out of the situation. Therefore it's pretty understandable that he does make a lot of mistakes, which actually makes him a better villain since he gets to both do cool poo poo to beat the odds and not look like an idiot when he fucks up.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm excited for the fact that part 4 basically just keeps picking up steam from RHCP onwards, and once we get kira in the picture it'll be even greater

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm excited for the fact that part 4 basically just keeps picking up steam from RHCP onwards, and once we get kira in the picture it'll be even greater

And then Rohan lets his house burn down

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Just saying, that's probably why he didn't just "Delete" it when Fatty's back was turned.

Besides which, I don't feel like Kira ever particularly liked using his special abilities. I mean, sure, they're convenient - do his job for him - but they fly in the face of everything else he believes in: keeping a low profile, living modestly. He dislikes attention, dislikes fighting and confrontation. He has no ambitions beyond continuing his current lifestyle. Having powers makes him "Special," and whenever he exercises those powers he risks drawing attention he doesn't want. Suppose the boy turns around and sees his sandwich bag floating in midair? Suppose someone else sees? He'd sure be the talk of the town then. Taking the long route, even if he gets caught, he's "Only" some weirdo trying to steal a kid's lunch.

Okay, fair enough. I like that explanation a lot better than 'Oh man, he's just so crazy, y'know how those mentally insane people are' for it.

Now I'm just curious about how far he could control his bomb power. Could he make the inside of the bag a bomb? Or touch a door and make only one panel on it a bomb?

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's probably this. One of the really unique things about Kira is that most of the time we see him he's under equal or even greater psychological pressure than the heroes, and has to fight an uphill battle against both the heroes and his own issues in order to get himself out of the situation. Therefore it's pretty understandable that he does make a lot of mistakes, which actually makes him a better villain since he gets to both do cool poo poo to beat the odds and not look like an idiot when he fucks up.

I agree except I think Kira looks like a huge idiot when he fucks up, such as when he sets up Bites the Dust to activate when Hayato gets closer to revealing his identity but then ends up saying his own name out loud in public, with his own mouth, several times within earshot of other people, like a huge idiot. But that makes him more endearing to me imo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

standard owl posted:

I agree except I think Kira looks like a huge idiot when he fucks up, such as when he sets up Bites the Dust to activate when Hayato gets closer to revealing his identity but then ends up saying his own name out loud in public, with his own mouth, several times within earshot of other people, like a huge idiot. But that makes him more endearing to me imo.

I like how him saying his name is pretty much a part of fate too. IIRC he had said it to hayato during previous loops of Bites the Dust, this time it was just Hayato exploiting fate to get Kira to announce his identity within earshot of someone who could do something about him

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

FirstAidKite posted:

I like how him saying his name is pretty much a part of fate too. IIRC he had said it to hayato during previous loops of Bites the Dust, this time it was just Hayato exploiting fate to get Kira to announce his identity within earshot of someone who could do something about him

It's the classic mistake of hubris, which is why I don't mind it so much. Yeah it was a dumb thing to do, but he did it because of his overconfidence.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Kira Yoshikage is smart, but not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He's third rate at best

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Bad Seafood posted:

Kira Yoshikage is smart, but not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

Agreed. A lot of Kira's inner monologue revolves around him being smart enough etc. to be number one in school, but deliberately not doing so and getting third places instead. But whenever we see him actually getting into a battle with the duwang gang, they pretty much always outwit him in one way or the other and pretty much whenever someone proves that he's not as smart as he thinks he is, he loses it.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

RareAcumen posted:

It just seems too broad to be a reference since the city's gotta have electricity flowing through it somehow after all.

iirc the towers were decommissioned and replaced with underground cables a few years before the events of DIU?

re: the vines in the op, vines have been used as a symbol of the Joestar lineage since at least the first SDC op, and since they're with Josuke's heart and anchor symbol I think that's probably all they are.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FirstAidKite posted:

And then Rohan lets his house burn down

I never understood why Josuke didn't just use Crazy Diamond to fix Rohan's house.

Exercu posted:

Agreed. A lot of Kira's inner monologue revolves around him being smart enough etc. to be number one in school, but deliberately not doing so and getting third places instead. But whenever we see him actually getting into a battle with the duwang gang, they pretty much always outwit him in one way or the other and pretty much whenever someone proves that he's not as smart as he thinks he is, he loses it.

That's probably one of the best parts about Kira, honestly.

Yoshikage Kira posted:

"Your Stand looks pretty weak. It's like you're hitting a fly ball straight to the pitcher. :smug:"

Yoshikage Kira, five seconds later posted:

"oh god why are you so fast"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I never understood why Josuke didn't just use Crazy Diamond to fix Rohan's house.

Remember how Rohan just kinda chopped his finger off mid-dice game and refused to let Josuke heal it? Same principle. Rohan's a spiteful, prideful man.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Rohan cut his finger off because he couldn't figure out how Josuke was cheating.
I'm 100000% sure he'd kill himself before letting Josuke do that.

Our own Amaryllis drew this masterpiece
http://strawberry-jan.tumblr.com/post/143344624234/watch-it-rohan-you-almost-said-something-nice

I get irrationally annoyed on tumblr how great OC stuff like this gets like 700 notes and then someone will gently caress the colour balance and cut two thirds of the animation frames from a show for a gif and get 2000. People don't appreciate effort :(

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 10, 2016

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Exercu posted:

my opinion on Kira is that even if he had totally tried his best all those third place trophies would be second place instead. Second place in the whole school is still really impressive! Just not quite as good as he thinks he is

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I get irrationally annoyed on tumblr how great OC stuff like this gets like 700 notes and then someone will gently caress the colour balance and cut two thirds of the animation frames from a show for a gif and get 2000. People don't appreciate effort :(
Ha, you're sweet. :shobon: Tumblr is just not a good platform for webcomics, even though it's a good place for fan stuff. Even some of those absolutely fantastic Millionfish comics that make me want to put away my pen forever got a couple thousand notes, tops, and then just fell off everyone's radar. It's also almost impossible to do anything serial and have people see each update. If I weren't drawing fan comics, specifically, I'd be using some other service. (That being said, the Rohan-centric ones are just consistently less popular for some reason??)

Also, the less popular I am on tumblr, the more likely it is that I can just have a chill time and get better at art, and the less visible I am, the less likely people are to call me a "stupid piece of poo poo" (actual quotation) for airing my jojopinions, soooooo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

'cus tumblr thinks Rohan is an abuser in relationships and other weird leaps of logic

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Rohan is a horrible person and also a really fun character.

If a person like Rohan lived anywhere near me I would go out of my way to avoid him.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Ehh. I'm just here to have fun and draw Rohan getting punched in the face.

Speaking of Rohan, I finally got my copy of that spinoff anthology a while back, and although I like it well enough, I think I like the character best when he's a super-intense artist with zero chill and who's (most importantly) constantly bickering with teenagers even though he should know better. Seeing him in action these past couple of weeks reinforced that feeling for me, and made me feel a little less excited for the OVA(s). Something just kind of feels missing when he's not bouncing off the main cast, though Poaching Reef does capture some of that Part 4 spirit when Rohan gets all excited about poaching specifically because it's an illegal experience. Also, someone pointed out that Tonio never takes his hat off, even when he's drowning, and for some reason I found that hilarious.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The thing to remember is that the average Jojo fan is like 16 years old, so don't take what they have to say to heart.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

From my experience, it tends to trend towards most being born during DiU, so early 20s

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Exercu posted:

Stallion Cabana posted:

my opinion on Kira is that even if he had totally tried his best all those third place trophies would be second place instead. Second place in the whole school is still really impressive! Just not quite as good as he thinks he is

I took it that, as a consequence of purposely avoiding distinguishing himself, he's never had to become familiar with adversity. So despite the fact that he is very capable of knuckling down (no pun intended) when under pressure, he's never become comfortable doing so. He's inexperienced, and he makes rookie mistakes.

It's not that he is or isn't as smart as he thinks he is, so much that intelligence isn't a substitute for practice. As tenacious, as capable, and as outright powerful as he is, his two fights against the Duwang Gang are the only two stand battles he ever fights.

It's a very Fox and the Hedgehog situation, where the moment he can't rely on his one trick (avoiding notice) he's not quite capable of adapting.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 10, 2016

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

I took it that, as a consequence of purposely avoiding distinguishing himself, that he simply never pushed to improve himself. So despite the fact that he is very capable of knuckling down (no pun intended) when under pressure, his avoidant nature means that he's never had the opportunity to become comfortable in such circumstances. He's inexperienced, and so the mistakes he makes are rookie mistakes.

It's not that he is or isn't as smart as he thinks he is, so much that intelligence isn't a substitute for practice. As tenacious, as capable, and as outright powerful as he is, his two fights against the Duwang Gang are the only two stand battles he's ever fought.

That makes a lot of sense, especially when we see him losing his poo poo at any setback or challenge. People that coast on being generally smart but never apply themselves don't learn how to stay calm and work through adversity, and tend to fold under pressure.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not that he is or isn't as smart as he thinks he is, so much that intelligence isn't a substitute for practice. As tenacious, as capable, and as outright powerful as he is, his two fights against the Duwang Gang are the only two stand battles he ever fights.
That's definitely part of it. All of the other people on whom he uses his stand are just regular people: he doesn't seem to know how to deal with people who can see KQ, let alone fight back. I like that the closest he comes to wrecking the gang are the times when he's just having a coffee somewhere else and letting a remote stand do his work for him (i.e. Sheer Heart Attack, Another One Bites the Dust), or letting Stray Cat do the actual fighting. Dude has spent so much time trying to be mediocre that when he actually has to step up his game, he panics.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Plus there's his personality too. I like Kira as a villain because despite being a horrendous serial killer monster, his entire motivation throughout the series is "leave me the gently caress alone". I feel like that's a rare thing, a guy that is disgusting but doesn't wanna flaunt it at all. He just wants to kill women, sever their hands and have picnics. Serial killers are usually of the "trying to show off" variety, but Kira developed a power that allows him to commit literal perfect murders. He developed another one that lets something else deal with his problems, and a THIRD one that is quite literally "okay, can I get a redo on that?". When he gets wrecked by the Duwang Clan the first time, he just decides to vanish instead of planning a surprise attack like most people would. He knows he's stupid powerful but gently caress this shonen bullshit, I don't wanna do power levels, I just wanna gently caress off and do my murder thing.

So when you take that guy outside of his comfort zone, position him against people that can outmaneuver his M.O and that are getting on his nerves, he breaks down and fucks up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's even kinda arguable if he wants to. He does it when his nails grow exceptionally fast and he gets urges to do it that he can't control. It implies that when they're normal, he can live happily without doing it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

It's even kinda arguable if he wants to. He does it when his nails grow exceptionally fast and he gets urges to do it that he can't control. It implies that when they're normal, he can live happily without doing it.

If I were to pull off a Quantico profiler imitation here, I'd say the nails are more of an association thing. He seems happy enough to do the hand-dating thing, when his nails start growing faster it just triggers the murderous urges. Kira is really hosed up and not in a "power corrupts" sense, he's clearly a psychopath. I think Araki got into Silence of the Lambs around that time.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Amaryllis posted:

Also, the less popular I am on tumblr, the more likely it is that I can just have a chill time and get better at art, and the less visible I am, the less likely people are to call me a "stupid piece of poo poo" (actual quotation) for airing my jojopinions, soooooo.
I see a lot of hideous stuff. Someone once reblogged from me and added an actual post like "nice art, too bad you're wasting it on a lovely character" holy loving poo poo kid go outside. I was mortified because of course the original artist saw it, too.

The jjba tag can also be a baffling wasteland of posts, like yesterday when someone posted "is it just me or do parts 4 and 8 suck completely" or something and made sure to tag it under all three JoJo tags in case we'd miss it.

CJ posted:

The thing to remember is that the average Jojo fan is like 16 years old, so don't take what they have to say to heart.

This is extremely true and really worth keeping in mind. I'm probably older than anyone in this thread and I'm for sure older than anyone I'm seeing on tumblr.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's perfectly fair to add to Kakyoin art. Encouraged even.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

And if you want to be a pedant (always), the vast majority of JoJo fans are going to be Japanese late 20's onwards who grew up reading JoJo in serialisation and as the target audience for it aged, JoJo matured itself into a seinen.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

That's perfectly fair to add to Kakyoin art. Encouraged even.
:dings:

it actually wasn't kakyoin that time

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I see a lot of hideous stuff. Someone once reblogged from me and added an actual post like "nice art, too bad you're wasting it on a lovely character" holy loving poo poo kid go outside. I was mortified because of course the original artist saw it, too.

The jjba tag can also be a baffling wasteland of posts, like yesterday when someone posted "is it just me or do parts 4 and 8 suck completely" or something and made sure to tag it under all three JoJo tags in case we'd miss it.

Weird, that's surprisingly nicer than the average Youtube comment. You sure they didn't tell you to loving kill yourself?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Weird, that's surprisingly nicer than the average Youtube comment. You sure they didn't tell you to loving kill yourself?

You get those via anons when you reblog from the "wrong" artists.

When is the next jojolion volume? The 19th? I want it now.

e: some people in this thread are excited most about highway star, others about seeing rohan's house, I just want to freaking see mikitaka

https://twitter.com/toffeezel/status/752183224697102336

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 10, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeh, same day as the chapter

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I ended up looking through the art tag.

That comic with Giorno and Dio is amazing.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

e: some people in this thread are excited most about highway star, others about seeing rohan's house, I just want to freaking see mikitaka
I love Mikitaka, I wish that DiU was dozens of chapters longer so that he'd get to do more, and I also like that his debut gives us a reminder that Josuke is a still a lovely teenager despite his golden heart:

e: lovely teen antics are also why I can't wait to see Harvest animated.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

The current stuff amaryllis is doing with okuyasu makes me very happy, for obvious reasons. :)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I eagerly await the inevitable "Gyro Zeppeli: 80's popstar" arc.
(Specifically a 1980's popstar in the 1880's)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Dias posted:

If I were to pull off a Quantico profiler imitation here, I'd say the nails are more of an association thing. He seems happy enough to do the hand-dating thing, when his nails start growing faster it just triggers the murderous urges. Kira is really hosed up and not in a "power corrupts" sense, he's clearly a psychopath. I think Araki got into Silence of the Lambs around that time.

I would argue that psychopath isn't really the right term for it, as most psychopathic behavior (which is a broad topic in and of itself) tends to be bold and uninhibited, which is the opposite of how Kira acts and his goals. Psychopathy is especially at odds with the anxieties Kira exhibits (yeah, admittedly, I did just now look up the definition s for psychopathy, as I wanted to make sure I wasn't confusing it with being psychotic, which is different)

I do, however, believe Kira would be diagnosed with some form of personality disorder. One thing that fascinated me was a quick scene where he was astonished to find he felt something for the mother of his stolen family, which would indicate that he isn't a sociopath, either, as he would be entirely incapable of feeling empathy at all. It is possible that his state is actually a product of his upbringing more than latent mental illness.

..... or I'm digging way too into a cartoon character's personality.