Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think that Michael Steele muppet in The Daily Show said kabibble, but I don't remember what that was supposed to mean (if it was supposed to mean anything).

Ish Kabibble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SomeMathGuy posted:

A poorly phrased question about sleeveless undershirts with an "oh god it's still the early 20th century" answer? Maybe?

Yeah, it seems to be a joke based around the sleeveless shirt and domestic abusers.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Slammy posted:

Whoops Sisters

I had to go look up "Mr. Sumner" to see what they meant, and...ugh, he was the head of an official New York state censorship body.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Simian_Prime posted:

Anyone else willing to send pics of Intelligent Life to Seth MacFarland and hope Reddick gets a C&D letter sent to him?

MacFarlane himself has basically said his whole style was aped from Hannah-Barbara (whom he worked with for a number of years) which was created due to the necessities of cheap animation. Since its been posted here, Riddick also seems to have slowly slimmed Skip down and adjusted the shapes of faces. It's still similar, but unfortunately not enough to warrant legal action.

It's content though...maybe we can get him tried for crimes against humanity.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

I think he's aware of that, Mr. True.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, it seems to be a joke based around the sleeveless shirt and domestic abusers.

I though "wife beater" as slang for a sleeveless undershirt was a relatively recent development, though.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oof. Nightmare getting catty over there on his high horse.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

I'm already enjoying this Simple Southern Lawyer routine that Pops is doing.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Julet Esqu posted:

I though "wife beater" as slang for a sleeveless undershirt was a relatively recent development, though.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of the timeline for that etymology. I'll have to look...

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
GOOD NEWS! This is the last time you’ll be seeing Gasoline Alley for a while.
BAD NEWS! This is the last time you’ll be seeing Cul de Sac for a while.
I’m taking my family on an all-American road trip. No more posts from me for the next week. Seriously hoping to encounter any of the obscure Americana that so fascinates Zippy the Pinhead, but I doubt I’ll be so lucky.
TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE NEWS! When I return I’ll post all the Gasoline Alley strips I missed in one mega post. You know you deserve it, you bad boy.
--*--
Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

treasureplane posted:

Wash Tubbs (April 13, 1929)

I'm predicting that that rug he's painstakingly drawn in almost all the panels will soon come into play here.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Odonata posted:

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

I think I heard it originated from COPS, because that's what the majority of domestic abusers on that show wore? I could be super wrong though. Anyway

quote:

Luann

quote:

Luann gave a $10, Ox gave a $5, guitar man gave money, and Gunther was getting out paper money. How is that going to add up to no more than $16 even if none of the other 30 acts gave?

Notice whose idea the collection was…

quote:

Quick in the head calculation. Since we know that group of 4 acts gave over $16, let’s be conservative and just say $15 per each group of four acts, then pretend there were 32 acts instead of 34. Okay, that makes 8 groups of four, so 8×10 = 80 and 8×5 =40. Conservatively, if the acts gave at somewhat similar levels as those four you woukd expect that at least $120 was collected.

Ox was early enough in the line to have not noticed this if he left after signing up, but Luann and Bernice could have noticed, and Gunther might have noticed if he overheard Luann.

quote:

34 acts at 5 minutes each means the show runs nearly 3 hours, plus intermission. That’s way too long. The sign-up list should have been cut off after at most 18 acts, or there should have been an audition process to choose which ones get onstage and which ones don’’t.

quote:

“Charlatan’s Web”
“Diamonds And Busted” (♬)
“An Enlightening Discussion”
“Caught, In The Act Review”
“Colenel Mustard, For The Win”
“Blinded By The Light” (♬)
“The Best Mislaid Plans….”
“California Del Surprise”
“Mr. Appropriation”
“The Unseemly Power Of A Young Ox”
“Taking The Inevitable By The Horns”
“Suspicion…Torments His Heart!” (♪)
“The Okey-Dokey To My Success”
or
“All I Have To Do Is Scheme…Scheme, Scheme, Scheme… " (♪)

FORTknox

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Also you guys can't even imagine the pure number of people who are earnestly posting how it doesn't make sense that Les would have only gotten 16 dollars. There are literally multiple adults who don't get the implications.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Later, Sam is going down to the elementary school to shake down some fifth graders out of their lunch money.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows what women want.

Working Daze is used to disappointment.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is just missing the rimshot.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Yes, Jam Esallen can't even draw the lead character consistently on-model.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slammy posted:

Whoops Sisters

Wait, where's the whoops sister on the right's blob things? Is she okay? :ohdear:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm not going to be complicit in you trying to see a woman's muff while she's riding an elevator.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Johnny Walker posted:

Secret Agent X-9

They're going to have the papers say no one got off the boat alive, and then he and the girl are going to pretend to be ghosts to spook the criminals into one place, aren't they? I imagine that was an old gag even back when this strip was new.

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Well those were some exciting panels, weren't they?
C'mon, you have to admit that human beings who physically exist below the sternum are genuinely pretty exciting, by Apartment 3G standards.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 10, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those looked like fishnets for awhile.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

This is why Arlo and Janis is great

Andertoons

Pluggers

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Noodles, get away from that strange lady!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts, in which the life of a writer is lonely, but worthwhile. (July 13, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets (May 8 and 15, 1927)

The lighter side of almost dying from a gas leak!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Does Lynn Johnston ever consider how awful her strips make her look as a person/mother/wife?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I thought getting stressed out at work and wanting a break from it was something only stupid dumb losers who weren't smart enough to get jobs they like did.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Spider looks different to me.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Julet Esqu posted:

I thought getting stressed out at work and wanting a break from it was something only stupid dumb losers who weren't smart enough to get jobs they like did.

The only moral stress is Adams' Dilbert's stress.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think this is Bizarro-Dilbert, where the PHB actually has good if limited and a little cliched advice.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Awesome! Thank you!

Ghostlight posted:

I'm not going to be complicit in you trying to see a woman's muff while she's riding an elevator.
:pervert:

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Dave’s Delicatessen (click for big)

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Slammy posted:

Guess If They Are Married!

My guesses for the day: yes, yes, no, no and no.

Grimnak
Dec 19, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Does Lynn Johnston ever consider how awful her strips make her look as a person/mother/wife?

She can't possibly be aware of it, can she? If she was, I can't believe that she wouldn't try to make herself look better. Or that she wouldn't just straight up die of shame.

Every time I read Foob I'm reminded of when, as a kid, I told my mom I didn't like the book The Giving Tree (I felt bad for the tree being taken for granted, but I wasn't really able to articulate the thought at the time) and she was like "but that's what parenthood is!" and I know in retrospect she meant parenthood was making sacrifices for someone you love, but I guess I never really got past the idea "you do a ton of poo poo for someone who uses and doesn't appreciate you" as the interpretation for the book, and I feel like that's how Lynn would interpret it if she ever read it. And then she went ahead and had kids anyway and hates herself/them/everything.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Slammy, you are a good poster, providing good content. Bless you!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Let's give a cheer for the return of Modesty Blaise! And how about some polite applaise for the return of Dog Comix? Eh? ...please clap.

Pooch Café

God drat it, Zakour, his name is Kypto and he is well established in the comics as being able to fly faster than Superman!

Ballard Street

Scooter's the best character in comics today.

I would not be offended if somebody took over my comics when I disappear like that. Ballard Street doesn't deserve to be a biweekly.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

gently caress that those tables are too close. I don't blame him for using his restaurant umbrella, regardless of superstitions about opening them inside.

Mary Worth

Our first floating-head-cloud panel for the new artist I think. It's pretty good.

Rex Morgan MD's main characters become almost aware of how ridiculous all this is.

Don't remember the guy making an offer on the house though. I'm not saying they're wrong, I just don't recall and I'm not gonna check. The old man hasn't even seen the place. Maybe the son made an offer. Meh.

Jungle Jim with "his black"

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD's main characters become almost aware of how ridiculous all this is.

Please be ominous. Please be ominous. I so desperately want this to be a portent of something finally going wrong for the Morgans that I'm willing to delude myself into thinking Terry Beatty was just wrapping up old plot threads in order to bring the hammer down hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Is that gold shirt factoid a repeat, or was it some other gold shirt guy?

• Locked thread