Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

steinrokkan posted:

Many Germans didn't see the SS and Gestapo as an issue, until the end, despite their imagery.Same here.

Not according to this documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cat Mattress posted:

Military and especially paramilitary organizations just looooove death imagery in general. Do you think the navy aviators of VFA-103 ask themselves if they are the baddies because their squadron insignia is a skull and crossbones?
What he said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_and_crossbones_(military)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Unlike the police, the Army / Navy units with grotesque symbols are actually expected to kill people, and to inspire fear in their opponents. Sadly it appears that lots of people do not realize that there is a fundamental difference between are troops and the police.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Cat Mattress posted:

Military and especially paramilitary organizations just looooove death imagery in general. Do you think the navy aviators of VFA-103 ask themselves if they are the baddies because their squadron insignia is a skull and crossbones?

That's just one squadron. With the Nazis, the skulls go all the way to the top.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Starshark posted:

Not according to this documentary.

Well, that documentary proves that one German was disturbed, while the rest was happy to knit / drink out of skull themed paraphernalia :colbert:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
MacKay is on holiday but reposted this cartoon from last summer, originally drawn for the Pan Am Games in Toronto.

(the original)

Note the subtle touches to make it look like Brazil, such as including a palm tree and changing "Hi there" to "Amigos"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Out of all the terrible cartoons this one bothers me the most. I don't give a poo poo if your political opinions are completely abhorrent to me, every single person who can vote SHOULD vote. Let the (potentially terrible!) Government you get be representative of the will of the actual majority of the people, not just those who could be bothered/willing to vote. :argh:

Of course America uses a First Past the Post system so they're probably never going to see actual proportional representation of the population's wishes anyway.... :smith:

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Times:

This is possibly the most metal political cartoon this thread has had. It can basically be an album cover unaltered.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zemyla posted:

That's just one squadron. With the Nazis, the skulls go all the way to the top.

Generally when a skull doesn't go all the way to the top thats a serious problem.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Out of all the terrible cartoons this one bothers me the most. I don't give a poo poo if your political opinions are completely abhorrent to me, every single person who can vote SHOULD vote. Let the (potentially terrible!) Government you get be representative of the will of the actual majority of the people, not just those who could be bothered/willing to vote. :argh:

I don't disagree, but I think the Brexit serves as a sort of cautionary tale when we emphasize the importance of being a voter and the simple act of voting for its own sake.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

No, gently caress that. Let Republican voters have record low turnout. Prove to the GOP that letting Trump win their primary was a culmination of mistakes leading all the way back to the Southern Strategy. I'd rather we have two semi functional parties, not one decent party and one "Burn it all down" party.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Can we have two Burn it all down parties instead?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
You appear to be trying that already.

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Times:

My god, this is a great representation of Blair. The man is going to be remembered as a war criminal and a monster for ever.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kwyndig posted:

Can we have two Burn it all down parties instead?

Bernie die hards are valiantly trying to get us to that point.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cpt.Americant posted:

This is possibly the most metal political cartoon this thread has had. It can basically be an album cover unaltered.
I dunno...We Will Always Be With You is one of Whatever's weaker albums regardless of cover art.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jerusalem posted:

Of course America uses a First Past the Post system so they're probably never going to see actual proportional representation of the population's wishes anyway.... :smith:

FPTP is terrible because it means you get two parties, maybe three at most, that have a reasonable chance of being elected so you get into strategic voting and stuff like that and people end up not voting for who they really want.

Proportional is terrible because it means no party is strong enough to rule by itself, so they have to form coalitions, which generally means that they'll have to secure the cooperation of various nutjobs and extremists on their political side, meaning that the crazies end up getting much more influence than they technically should have (as they get to influence the main, more centrist parties) and that they should have (for the good of everyone, because they're crazies).

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

TheDarkFlame posted:

My god, this is a great representation of Blair. The man is going to be remembered as a war criminal and a monster for ever.

I wish Bush was viewed that way and not just Cheney/Rumsfeld. Normally we just make him a lovable if moronic cowboy.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Cpt.Americant posted:

I wish Bush was viewed that way and not just Cheney/Rumsfeld. Normally we just make him a lovable if moronic cowboy.

It's weird how Bush and Co. seem almost quaint compared to Trump and Cruz and McConnell and all the other monsters who run the GOP today.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
People harping on Clinton's email are conveniently not mentioning Bush's own email scandal (where they deleted a bunch of messages).

Gee, I wonder why?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Cat Mattress posted:

FPTP is terrible because it means you get two parties, maybe three at most, that have a reasonable chance of being elected so you get into strategic voting and stuff like that and people end up not voting for who they really want.

Proportional is terrible because it means no party is strong enough to rule by itself, so they have to form coalitions, which generally means that they'll have to secure the cooperation of various nutjobs and extremists on their political side, meaning that the crazies end up getting much more influence than they technically should have (as they get to influence the main, more centrist parties) and that they should have (for the good of everyone, because they're crazies).
Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

TheDarkFlame posted:

Don't forget he was also a magnet for fraud and unmitigated greed! His administration was beset by every flavo(u)r of financial scandal and when it was sliding into the shitter he handed it off to his best-frenemy just in time for the global financial collapse so he galavant around the world "Middle East Peace Envoy," charging oligarchs mils-bills for speaking engagements.

I'm not a fan.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
And yet he's still living the high life, wanting for nothing and more or less immune to any form of Justice.

While Terry Pratchett died an early death of pneumonia and Alzheimer's.

Kind wish we could just make our own justice, yes?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

People harping on Clinton's email are conveniently not mentioning Bush's own email scandal (where they deleted a bunch of messages).

Gee, I wonder why?
Uh, because that was necessary to keep us safe from terrorists after Obama foolishly left us vulnerable to attack on 9/11.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

WarpedNaba posted:

And yet he's still living the high life, wanting for nothing and more or less immune to any form of Justice.

While Terry Pratchett died an early death of pneumonia and Alzheimer's.

Kind wish we could just make our own justice, yes?

"Tʜᴇʀᴇ ɪs ɴᴏ ᴊᴜsᴛɪᴄᴇ" said Death. "Jᴜsᴛ ᴍᴇ."

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

The Braves are a weird target too considering there's The Redskins (an actual racial slur) and the Cleveland Indians who still use a caricature. One that is way more racist looking than anything the Braves ever had.

I've seen the head around more recently. Sometimes it's a skull version, but it's definitely the old logo. Maybe he's digging up old dirt, or maybe he got set off by some hipster in an old piece of fan paraphernalia.

Rorus Raz posted:

Crocodile tears from Benson

So loving nice of you to include the poor, oft-maligned, blue people, Benson. That's totally a real group who has to deal with so much actual poo poo because of their physical features.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anti-smurf sentiments? In 2016?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cloud Potato posted:

"Tony Blair and his beliefs - Chris Riddell on the former prime minister’s response to the Chilcot report"

W.K. Clifford posted:

What shall we say of him? Surely this, that he was verily guilty of the death of those men. It is admitted that he did sincerely believe [...]; but the sincerity of his conviction can in no wise help him, because he had no right to believe on such evidence as was before him. He had acquired his belief not by honestly earning it in patient investigation, but by stifling his doubts. And although in the end he may have felt so sure about it that he could not think otherwise, yet inasmuch as he had knowingly and willingly worked himself into that frame of mind, he must be held responsible for it.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Warcabbit posted:

Tʜᴇʀᴇ ɪs ɴᴏ ᴊᴜsᴛɪᴄᴇ, said Death. Jᴜsᴛ ᴍᴇ.
Fixed for pedantry.

quote:

So loving nice of you to include the poor, oft-maligned, blue people, Benson. That's totally a real group who has to deal with so much actual poo poo because of their physical features.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Gargamel Did Nothing Wrong

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

(This is not meant as a defense of Benson.)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Jay Rust posted:

The two movies are loving terrible.

There. I said it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

there wolf posted:

The blue people are cops, if anyone's wondering. It doesn't make the cartoon any better, but there it is.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

there wolf posted:

Blue people means the police.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ergo, Noah's Ark happened :smug:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

"Religious tolerance means persecution of Christians", good ol' Lietha.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
A reading from the Book of Matthew: "And lo, did Christ speak unto masses, "Before the cock crows three times, one of you will leave lights on in thy red VW..."

What does this cartoon even mean? If it's about the co-exist bumpersticker vs. his placard, why bring the color of the car, the lights being on, Noah's ark, etc into it? This is like a grade school word problem where there's a bunch of extraneous details in to fool you.

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 10, 2016

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

nobodyssweetheart posted:

A reading from the Book of Matthew: "And lo, did Christ speak unto masses, "Before the cock crows three times, one of you will leave lights on in thy red VW..."

What does this cartoon even mean? If it's about the co-exist bumpersticker vs. his placard, why bring the color of the car, the lights being on, Noah's ark, etc into it? This is like a grade school word problem where there's a bunch of extraneous details in to fool you.

"Look at all these strawpeople I invented, who have 'coexist' and 'don't judge me' bumper stickers, yet are judging and not coexisting with my fellow poor, persecuted christians! How hypocritical of them!"

e: The awkward setup is because it's using an age-old cliche because Lietha is a hack. And Noah's Ark is there because Lietha will under no circumstances shut up about the Ark.

Telarra fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 10, 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Don't let your babies grow up to be geriatric Halle Berry Catwomen.

(also, he's using alt text now, but it's a joke about triggers that even Reddit would find stale)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

(also, he's using alt text now, but it's a joke about triggers that even Reddit would find stale)

Impossible! There's no such thing with them.

• Locked thread