Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Sperglord posted:

Yeah, but that sounds like a ton of expenditure to achieve a meaningful dent on the incoming rocket rounds. The Iron Dome is a viable solution because most incoming rounds miss, hence not requiring an intercept. Otherwise, it would be ruinously expensive for the US / Israel. I'd think that an offensive system is better for dealing with rocket fire.

You might be over-estimating the amount of functioning artillery pieces the North Koreans have that: 1. can reach Seoul 2. are positioned within range of Seoul rather than elsewhere on the DMZ.

Most of their artillery is not that long-ranged; much of the rest is probably broken. Of the ones that can fire, many of the shells would miss and many of those that hit would be duds. When they shelled that island something like a quarter wound up not exploding.

In any case I think the best use for Iron Dome would be to protect the equipment that you use for counter-battery fire/air defense in the first place.

The best defense of course is the fact that we could flatten them if we got sufficiently pissed off, and they know it. (e: which also suggests that future altercations will be of the "shelling the island" form where the volume of fire isn't that huge)

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hobbesmaster posted:

Supplemental oxygen doesn't work above a certain pressure altitude. Hence Everest's "death zone"

The Armstrong limit is way, way higher than Everest. If you could haul enough supplemental oxygen with you for Everest, you'd have no problem (except for wind, terrain, weather, cold, avalanches, crevasses, etc.), but you can't really carry enough to breathe just from a bottle your whole way up. The "death zone" is where you'll start to die without bottled oxygen, not with it.

The Armstrong limit is where atmospheric pressure drops low enough for the water wetting your alveolar surfaces to start boiling off, at which point no amount of supplemental oxygen will result in oxygen getting into your bloodstream, and you need a pressurized environment. But that's somewhere north of 60,000 feet. Not many planes can make it that high. At around 45,000 feet, you're at a pressure where breathing pure O2 from a bottle is delivering as much PPO2 as you'd get breathing normally at sea level, so if you go above that without a pressure suit you can start getting hypoxic.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 10, 2016

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
6 AMRAAMS and 2 JDAMS sounds like party time for the F-35

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Mortabis posted:

You might be over-estimating the amount of functioning artillery pieces the North Koreans have that: 1. can reach Seoul 2. are positioned within range of Seoul rather than elsewhere on the DMZ.

Most of their artillery is not that long-ranged; much of the rest is probably broken. Of the ones that can fire, many of the shells would miss and many of those that hit would be duds. When they shelled that island something like a quarter wound up not exploding.

In any case I think the best use for Iron Dome would be to protect the equipment that you use for counter-battery fire/air defense in the first place.

The best defense of course is the fact that we could flatten them if we got sufficiently pissed off, and they know it. (e: which also suggests that future altercations will be of the "shelling the island" form where the volume of fire isn't that huge)

To start with, the percentage of duds is irrelevant to the cost issue, the Iron Dome will intercept before one knows if the round is / is not a dud.

As for the second half, South Korea's counter-battery is already mobile. It doesn't need a fixed point defense. South Korean military bases are either within range of enough rocket artillery to not make a difference or within range of TBMs, at which point Iron Dome is useless.

The Iron Dome is a weapon system designed to solve a particular political issue, I don't think it really has a great usefulness outside of the particular political situation.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Phanatic posted:

At around 45,000 feet, you're at a pressure where breathing pure O2 from a bottle is delivering as much PPO2 as you'd get breathing normally at sea level, so if you go above that without a pressure suit you can start getting hypoxic.

I was about to add this caveat but you beat me to it - the Armstrong limit (which is a cool term I hadn't heard of before) isn't really as relevant as the fact that you'll get hypoxic even on pure oxygen well below that threshold.

B4Ctom1 posted:

How is that starboard JDAM supposed to work? Maybe it's just the angle, but it looks like it would have to shoot or jettison the two AMRAAMs underneath it before dropping it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
iron dome does not have the capability to intercept large tube artillery raids

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

B4Ctom1 posted:

That looks photoshopped...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Oh lord, isn't that John Ringo?

impotence.jpg

Yuiuuuuuup. SEALs strapped into the rotery racks of a B2 for a halo drop.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

bewbies posted:

Let's start with the basics: can the Iron Dome intercept artillery?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sperglord posted:

Let's start with the basics: can the Iron Dome intercept artillery?

yes, the limitation is saturation and magazine depth

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

How is that starboard JDAM supposed to work? Maybe it's just the angle, but it looks like it would have to shoot or jettison the two AMRAAMs underneath it before dropping it.

I think it's photoshopped. The shadows don't really make sense, there's no mounting hardware where those two 120s are, and the configuration is actually one AIM-120 and one JDAM per bay. The 120 on the door is legit.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Yeah that top bay has the same 120 three times

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Godholio posted:

I think it's photoshopped. The shadows don't really make sense, there's no mounting hardware where those two 120s are, and the configuration is actually one AIM-120 and one JDAM per bay. The 120 on the door is legit.

But but but, F-35 will carry enough internal MRAAMs... Right?

EDIT: It's a stupid photoshop. By all accounts, the USAF has given up on getting more than one AMRAAM per F-35 bay. Instead, research has turned to investigating smaller / more numerous weapons for internal carriage to bring up rounds per mission capability.

Sperglord fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 10, 2016

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

Looks like Russia is making use of a small old carrier for basing bombing attacks into Syria
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/07/russia-s-biggest-warship-steams-to-syria.html

It probably has a Chinese Admiral on board as an observer who, after the first symbolic sortie on Syria, says "We'll take it!"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah definite photoshop, look at the shadow on the top two missiles then on the actual outboard one.

I think the last roadmap I saw for the F-35 had a high capacity AtA loadout in like 2025, and it was pretty reliant on the either a later mark or the follow up missile to the AMRAAM being a better fit. The goal is 3 per bay though.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Mazz posted:

Yeah definite photoshop, look at the shadow on the top two missiles then on the actual outboard one.

I think the last roadmap I saw for the F-35 had a high capacity AtA loadout in like 2025, and it was pretty reliant on the either a later mark or the follow up missile to the AMRAAM being a better fit. The goal is 3 per bay though.

I really think that this line of thinking has gone away in the USAF. Current research seems to be pushing for a small A2A missile, around the size of a SDB, for high volume packing inside a F-35.

If you read the CSBA paper on future of air combat, they posit a role for LRAAMs. The SCO's suggestion of an arsenal plane also requires a LRAAM. Lastly, look at AAM development outside the US, Russia, China, and Europe have AAMs with significantly longer ranges than the US.

All of the above suggests that AAMs will diverge, something small for multiple packing in F-35, and something larger for LRAAM role.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sperglord posted:

I really think that this line of thinking has gone away in the USAF. Current research seems to be pushing for a small A2A missile, around the size of a SDB,

Modern aircraft really have gotten loving huge if you can fit an entire Dauntless into the interior bays on a F-35

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MrYenko posted:

The piston-engined helicopter absolute altitude record is still held by a Cessna. :v:

This caught my eye.

Wikipedia posted:

Production was ended in December 1962. The company indicated that this was due to the civil aviation market not being ready for this type of aircraft, although CH-1 owner Rex Trailer claims that it was due to catastrophic transmission failures.

WHO'S RIGHT

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

bewbies posted:

yes, the limitation is saturation and magazine depth

I think his argument is that it wouldn't be saturated as the North Koreans don't actually have a lot of guns that can reach downtown Seoul.

As far as tube guns go, only the biggest guns can reach Seoul across the DMZ and only if they use rocket assisted projectiles. This basically limits it to the ~500 170mm Koksan guns, minus some number supplied to Iraq and Iran. Each can fire 1 round every 2.5 mins. Even if half didn't function or weren't parked right at the border with Seoul that's still a lot of shells in the air.

Then you've got the rocket artillery.

I don't think it'd be enough to flatten Seoul, personally, but you'd need an awful lot of Iron Dome batteries to make a dent in it.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 10, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Modern aircraft really have gotten loving huge if you can fit an entire Dauntless into the interior bays on a F-35

That's an SBD.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Someone at Raytheon is going to see that Photoshop and get a hard-on. Especially since according to Wikipedia, the unit cost on the -120D (which still isn't fielded yet) is ~$1.7m.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 10, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bewbies posted:

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Warbadger posted:

I think his argument is that it wouldn't be saturated as the North Koreans don't actually have a lot of guns that can reach downtown Seoul.

As far as tube guns go, only the biggest guns can reach Seoul across the DMZ and only if they use rocket assisted projectiles. This basically limits it to the ~500 170mm Koksan guns, minus some number supplied to Iraq and Iran. Each can fire 1 round every 2.5 mins. Even if half didn't function or weren't parked right at the border with Seoul that's still a lot of shells in the air.

Then you've got the rocket artillery.

I don't think it'd be enough to flatten Seoul, personally, but you'd need an awful lot of Iron Dome batteries to make a dent in it.

The better argument is: instead of buying a purely defensive weapon, why doesn't South Korea spend that money on improving short / no-response deep counter-battery fire? Increase counter batter radar coverage, develop a fast response computer network to shorten response times, use rocket deployed UAVs to quickly reconoitter launch sites, and develop or purchase medium range (40 - 80km) guided missiles to hit the sites when they're detected. Remember that each Iron Dome round costs ~30k - 50k. A dozen rounds probably pays for a simple guided ballistic missile.

The volume of fire is going to be large, why not improve the ability to silence that fire as soon as possible?

The Iron Dome was created because Israel did not want to be pushed into bombing Gaza after every single rocket. The Iron Dome raised the price of success for rocket attacks to high enough levels to buy Israel better geopolitical maneuvering room. That political situation in no way applies to a South Korean scenario.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

B4Ctom1 posted:

Those are my AMRAAMS. Give them back you are a second rate fighter. They don't even fit.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Someone at Raytheon is going to see that Photoshop and get a hard-on. Especially since according to Wikipedia, the unit cost on the -120D (which still isn't fielded yet) is ~$1.7m.

SOP with that loadout would have been jettisoning 2-3 AAMRAMS per JDAM drop. If I worked for raytheon i would have the hardest boner

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

McNally posted:

My understanding is that when a carrier pilot touches down on the deck, he goes full throttle in case he missed the wires or the wire breaks.

..and the deceleration experienced while waiting for the wire to break wasn't such that you're not going to get far once you leave the deck again. I'm pretty sure one of the old pilots at the USS Midway :911: Museum said that you had a good chance of ending up in the drink if a wire broke. I guess you don't have long to work out whether you can save it or if you need to eject either.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It is the perspective. The compartments are mirror image. The angle makes it look like the JDAM is in an AMRAAM cage, but it is the same as this other side.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Finally got a copy of "Chieftains" that wasn't incredibly overpriced and I really enjoyed it, it's reasonably well written, seems plausible and doesn't clancy-wank over hardware or nationalism much at all, and the ending made more sense than "Red Army".

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...ic-state-sukhoi

Wrap it up, isisailures

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

So we've bagged on the F-35 a lot - can we talk about the Ford class carriers?

From some cursory reading, they seem to be plagued by the same kind of wishful thinking as the F-35. EMALS (the launch system) and the arresting gear aren't as effective as promised, though I can't figure out how they compare to their Nimitz-class counterparts. I also can't seem to find much information on budget/schedule for these vs. the F-35. Is this program in the gutter, or is it just the usual growing/teething pains of any major military acquisition? Obviously the ships being replaced are far older than anything the F-35 is replacing, and we're building far fewer of them so it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison - but is there a highlight reel of expected cost effectiveness, mission effectiveness, etc. out there that I'm not seeing?

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
The F-35 program seems to have run into a good problem lately.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2016Test/OT&EPanel.pdf

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I suppose it's a positive step forward from a cold war when we are testing new weapons / tactics on a lesser enemy in Syria instead of by direct proxy against each other. Silver linings.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

Going purely by payload weight, the F-35 actually could carry almost 3 Dauntlesses (or just about one empty F-16).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Rotacixe posted:

The F-35 program seems to have run into a good problem lately.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2016Test/OT&EPanel.pdf

Frankly this has been a big problem for the entire USAF/USN flying community for years. The problem is just further exacerbated with the new fighters.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mr. Showtime posted:

Going purely by payload weight, the F-35 actually could carry almost 3 Dauntlesses (or just about one empty F-16).
To be fair, so could another F-16.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Two Russian pilots killed by IS when their MI-35 is shot out from under them
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e26_1468094759

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Godholio posted:

Frankly this has been a big problem for the entire USAF/USN flying community for years. The problem is just further exacerbated with the new fighters.

There's a USMC, crack this nut, underage Japanese national joke in here somewhere.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

To be fair, so could another F-16.

I want to see the "He's not heavy; he's my brother" ferry strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I wouldn't be flying in Venezuela anytime soon
https://warisboring.com/venezuela-is-shooting-down-civilian-planes-65ec41015b97