Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Studio posted:

Just finished the last of my big SGDQ duties. Gonna play Heart of Darkness with speedfriends :unsmith:

Was it you in the swag purple sweater in the end?

Where can I get one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just watched the pikmin run.

I heard that Emily got a bad draw on RNG for it and got screwed over a lot and boy did she deserve it for the way she treated those poor Pikmin. The ghosts of those 14 something yellows she drowned for funsies were controlling that Blowhog.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Azazell0 posted:

Was it you in the swag purple sweater in the end?

Where can I get one?

Yup! Those were super limited for staff a while ago, but I can see if we can make them available in the future?

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
I fell asleep like an old man before Super Metroid so I watched the archived stream. I know that game is super hard to speed run with the strat they used but I was a little disappointed in how it turned out. Thought it was fun that the underdog won, but was a bit sad I didn't get the "super sweaty butt clenching" race.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

UraniumAnchor posted:

Stealing this, hope you don't mind.

https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor/status/752053185389273092

(Didn't have enough room to credit you sorry. :()
Oh no, my eFame

Nah, it's fine. Great work as always.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Before I peace out I just want to be smug as gently caress about how hard I was pushing Jak & Daxter at the beginning of the week and nunna y'all believed me, what. WHAT.
They're making a WAOW shirt :swoon:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Studio posted:

Yup! Those were super limited for staff a while ago, but I can see if we can make them available in the future?

Something like that would be cool. I have way too many t-shirts as it is, so I haven't been ordering the Yetee ones (even though the designs are awesome). But I sure could go for an official GDQ™ hoodie.

e: I'm watching the Typing of the Dead from YT while typing a message to my brother who lives in Helsinki. All of a sudden text box in-game: SEE YOU IN HELSINKI :psyduck:

e2: "Sex, lies and scotchtape" :golfclap:

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 10, 2016

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:
What a great event, see you all in the ESA thread!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just watched the pikmin run.

I heard that Emily got a bad draw on RNG for it and got screwed over a lot and boy did she deserve it for the way she treated those poor Pikmin. The ghosts of those 14 something yellows she drowned for funsies were controlling that Blowhog.

I feel like speedrunning pikmin 1 has to turn you into something of a cold hearted bastard at some point. It's the inevitable end state after a pikmin does something idiotic with a bomb rock again, ending your twentieth attempt.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Alright, time to catch up on some VODs. First up: the Super Mario Maker race, and then that infamous Jak & Daxter run, to see what all the fuss is about.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Watching the Aladdin VOD myself and may I just say that the singing part was dang' awesome

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I was busy the whole yesterday and I am about to catch up on TASbot.

Did we reach a milion dollars?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kikas posted:

I was busy the whole yesterday and I am about to catch up on TASbot.

Did we reach a milion dollars?

Way more than that, I think the final amount was just short of 1,3 million.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I missed most of Super Metroid and only came in during the mother brain fight. WTF wiped everyone? From the time stamps I can guess that the ghost squid got one person, maybe the Ridley fight got another? Not sure what would have got the third guy.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

greatn posted:

I missed most of Super Metroid and only came in during the mother brain fight. WTF wiped everyone? From the time stamps I can guess that the ghost squid got one person, maybe the Ridley fight got another? Not sure what would have got the third guy.

Onion rings and French fries

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Catching up on stuff and the Bonesaw run is prolly the funniest thing that a GDQ will ever produce

However, while I understand why they had to do it, gently caress whoever decided to keep couch dude from doing his spot on Owen Wilson

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WDIIA posted:

Catching up on stuff and the Bonesaw run is prolly the funniest thing that a GDQ will ever produce

However, while I understand why they had to do it, gently caress whoever decided to keep couch dude from doing his spot on Owen Wilson

"Wow, I don't even sound like that, wow" - Owen Wilson

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Just caught up on the Day Ex run and Heinki was hilarious, it was great seeing the couches reaction when he forgot and F bombed halfway through :v: plus the run was great and the puns were cringe

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Legit sad it's over. It was a cool week, and the credits to SNES and N64 games hit me in the heart.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

greatn posted:

The any% route has no safety at all. They need a certain amount of health to survive Mother Brain's rainbow beam, and it's the only reason they collect Varia Suit at all. With Varia and Gravity, I believe it deals 300 damage which is why three energy tanks need to be picked up, so going under during the Mother Brain fight means the run is over. Oats took I believe two hits, and that was enough to put him under 300 so he suicided.

Also, the deaths were to Ridley, Draygon and Mother Brain - everyone actually survived Phantoon.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Man, while the TAS block was awesome as usual, I think they should have done a general intro about what are TAS and what is TASbot. I know that watching in third time in the row means a lot of people watching know what a TAS is, but they should still explain the general idea behind it.

Glad to see my favourite Gameboy game getting some recognition outside of that credit warp, Super Mario Land series own.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Kikas posted:

Man, while the TAS block was awesome as usual, I think they should have done a general intro about what are TAS and what is TASbot. I know that watching in third time in the row means a lot of people watching know what a TAS is, but they should still explain the general idea behind it.

Glad to see my favourite Gameboy game getting some recognition outside of that credit warp, Super Mario Land series own.

They did a TAS intro for people who don't know what it is. I think it was either during the setup for the first run or in between the first and second run.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

This was the best GDQ there's ever been. AGDQ 2013 was my previous favorite, but man, this was amazing. I could never have imagined it being this good. I'm almost afraid for AGDQ 2017 because this event set a ridiculously high bar.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Cubey posted:

This was the best GDQ there's ever been. AGDQ 2013 was my previous favorite, but man, this was amazing. I could never have imagined it being this good. I'm almost afraid for AGDQ 2017 because this event set a ridiculously high bar.

:yeah:

I enjoyed pretty much everything I tuned in for, every night. And I still have a bunch of stuff on archive to go back and watch.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Cubey posted:

It's nice to have such a big variety of good runs to go back into and pick through. I only started watching with SGDQ 2014, so I don't have a lot to compare it to though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The last run ran WAAAAY too late into my timezone, but it was a fun SGDQ! Barely any unwatchable poo poo, quite a few amazing runs, sparse tech issues and only ONE during a run to my knowledge (and it was one of the legit bad runs)...10/10 all around. Thread was good too. This is the first event where I had enough free time to just be glued to the computer for long periods of time, so thank God it was a good one.

Personal highlights:

- Jak and Daxter, aka Naruto and Pikachu: The Quest for Owen Wilson's Car Keys, aka Bonesaw's Fever Dream. The run itself wasn't BAD either, but the slow descent into madness makes it.
- SOTN blindfolded, because it's SOTN blindfolded. Also a bit of trainwreckiness added in for flavor.
- Jedi Academy, which is a legit great run to watch with great commentary by a very enthusiastic dude. Take a bath.
- Momodora, because it had the most :3: moment of the stream and Halfcoordinated is awesome anyway.
- Dustforce, although it starts a bit slow. The run is pretty chill and technically sound for a while, then they hit the Difficult levels and all the butts clench.
- Tetris block. If you have to ask...
- Super Mario Maker blind race, which wasn't a blowout this year, featured some fun levels and Chronic (?) carrying the team on his back.
- PEPSIMAN FOR TV-GAME
- TASBot as a whole was good, but one controller four games is definitely the better run if you can only be bothered to watch one.
- Super Metroid Running Man%. :getin:
- oh, I almost forgot about SMW grandma% low%. I was kinda busy when it was going on so I almost missed out on it, but I think it qualifies.

Honorable mentions:

- Demon's Crest featured a lovely group of high school stoners that grew up on me as the run went on, dude. It's very chill but maybe not as good if you're not watching it 3am like I did, dude.
- The entirety of GB block and Kirby stuff (bar Riders) was pretty cool. Like, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it if pressed for time but ProtoMagicalGirl did some great commentary and it was pretty cute and fun.
- I liked both Freedom Planet and Guacamelee, not enough to highlight but enough that I think I should mention them. the commentary was fine stfu
- Bioshock was a fine run with a really good joke in it.
- Quackshot had some good commentary too, kinda lost in the middle of a bunch of runs I don't really remember.
- Sonic 06 is a broken mess.
- Bionic Commando because it's my boi PJ. In fact, the whole platformer block from Shatterhand to Gimmick might be worth a watch.
- Elder Scrolls block?? I don't give a gently caress about those games, but up to Morrowind the runs were fun. I fell asleep during Morrowind because I was tired as gently caress.

poo poo to avoid:

- Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, which might be the worst run in the entire marathon. Insufferable commentator and not cringey enough for you masochists, I think.
- Trials Fusion was a failure of a showcase, even if the last levels were actually pretty impressive. Dead commentary, no music, lots of custom levels that were boring to watch but had references.

Dishonorable mentions:

- The small block between Dustforce and Escape Goat 2 really isn't worth watching, and Prompt was especially bad. Short enough that whatever, I'll let it pass, but it also had the one stream crash of the marathon during a game so there's that too.
- Mighty Gunvolt was a dead run of a Megaman clone. Use your fuckin' words, people
- the "awful block" not named awful block was really nothing this year :smith:

I guess those are my $0.02 for the thread. It really was a great GDQ.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

I've forgotten from past GDQ's, but the YouTube channel has this playlist of VODs: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz8YL4HVC87WhzH2-56QXDOwoKNYkdCEV is this the "final" version of the VODs or is there some post-processing done and these VODs will later get updated in some way? I'm enjoying the VODs, just wondering because I thought there was some updating in a previous GDQ.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Dias posted:

- Super Metroid Running Man%. :getin:

This is the best description I've seen. Fantastic.

Thanks for your recap, going to go watch a bunch of those.

Gilg posted:

I've forgotten from past GDQ's, but the YouTube channel has this playlist of VODs: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz8YL4HVC87WhzH2-56QXDOwoKNYkdCEV is this the "final" version of the VODs or is there some post-processing done and these VODs will later get updated in some way? I'm enjoying the VODs, just wondering because I thought there was some updating in a previous GDQ.

I think they go back and fix any issues like bad audio sync or some video problem, but otherwise there isn't any more processing done as far as I know.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Jedi Academy, Dishonored and Tetris were my favorites.

Was there any good drama this year?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kennel posted:

Jedi Academy, Dishonored and Tetris were my favorites.

Well for me the drama was the noticable lack of Blueglass due to him getting sick, but other than that, I don't think so.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Kennel posted:

The only thing I read about was someone wearing a really tasteless shirt of a child beauty pageant winner who was murdered, but the organizers made him change it shortly before he went on camera. And while it's not drama, Typing of the Dead had a really funny moment where half of Twitch chat accidentally timed itself out while trying to play along because of the words "bear trap".

I do miss reading about funny stories or cringy moments but on the other hand, it's nice to see how well everything's been handled for the past two marathons. It really seems like the event's grown up a lot as the organizers have more experience handling it.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 10, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/64ChaiLatte/status/750983178009980928

Plus, you drama hounds, most of GDQ drama slowly floats to the surface after the event, I'm sure you'll be covered. We already got "stupid trials dude wanted to wear a creepy inappropriate shirt in the stream".

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Most of the "drama" i've seen is the Trials guy's shirt and people complaining that the GDQ mods turned off Twitch chat during runs with women on screen.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

Most of the "drama" i've seen is the Trials guy's shirt and people complaining that the GDQ mods turned off Twitch chat during runs with women on screen.

Both of which are based on very legit concerns. So that's no drama, that's common sense.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Elliotw2 posted:

So the gdq mods are good

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ZenVulgarity posted:

So the gdq mods are good

Really they shouldn't have turned it back on.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Elliotw2 posted:

Really they shouldn't have turned it back on.

It was worth it for everyone timing themselves out during typing of the dead

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wait why did Bear Trap nuke the chat?

Why is that a banned thing?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

People were being incredibly lovely during runs done by trans women so words like trap got you an auto timeout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait why did Bear Trap nuke the chat?

Why is that a banned thing?

It's the "trap" part, in specific, which (in Twitch chat, anyways) is occasionally used as a slur against transwomen.

• Locked thread