Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How should I go about editing the conversion power of a religion? I'm having a great time in Armenia but my miaphysite ministers can't convince anyone to join

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Deceitful Penguin posted:

1) Is there still a truce? If so, wait until it ends.
2) Is there a non-aggression pact between the two of you? If so, break it.
2a) Are you married to a close relative of theirs? If so, divorce/murder them.
3) How recently did you sacrifice to the Gods and what? If the answer is "Not Recently/Never" or/and "Something Lame" you have only your self to blame.

Also, when you say things like this, it's useful to provide a screenshot of the screen when something is up, as sometimes we can divine things from said images. You can use the steam screenshot thing or just Print Screen and paint (I honestly find that works quicker unless you link steam directly and I'm to private to do that).
Don't need it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Now another problem! I have Ulaidh as a tributary and I fabricated a claim on them and the game is telling me that I don't have a valid casus belli.
No you don't, because as a tributary they're your ally/you have an NAP with them. You have no CB against them, and can't do anything until you die and they stop being your ally, at which point your claim will be useless. Now you know why you need to be careful about making people your tributary.
ETA: In the interests of not being an rear end in a top hat, you make people tributaries for a) tribal/nomad opinion boosts, b) monetary/military support in your other wars, and occasionally c) yet another war to keep tribal armies around without raising threat. If you might want to conquer somebody in glorious battle, you probably shouldn't make them your bitch.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 7, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Query about claims: I have a claim on a county held by a fellow vassal in Byzantium, but I can't press it. The red mark is against "is your vassal or a vassal of your liege" - which he is, his direct liege is the Basileus and so is mine. What's happening here?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedit posted:

Query about claims: I have a claim on a county held by a fellow vassal in Byzantium, but I can't press it. The red mark is against "is your vassal or a vassal of your liege" - which he is, his direct liege is the Basileus and so is mine. What's happening here?

Has your liege enforced Realm Peace?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
What kind of disaster has to happen for England to become a theocracy? My neighbor has been on this religion kick for a while, and it shows no signs of ever going away, even though every single vassal hates the poo poo out of every single cardinal-king of England.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

darthbob88 posted:

Don't need it.
No you don't, because as a tributary they're your ally/you have an NAP with them. You have no CB against them, and can't do anything until you die and they stop being your ally, at which point your claim will be useless. Now you know why you need to be careful about making people your tributary.
ETA: In the interests of not being an rear end in a top hat, you make people tributaries for a) tribal/nomad opinion boosts, b) monetary/military support in your other wars, and occasionally c) yet another war to keep tribal armies around without raising threat. If you might want to conquer somebody in glorious battle, you probably shouldn't make them your bitch.

By tribal/nomad opinion boosts does that mean my court?

I'm definitely going to be more careful about tributaries. That blocked my expansion by about 25 years. I figured it would be much quicker than that because my ruler was mid-late 50s at the time. Fucker lived to be 78

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Has your liege enforced Realm Peace?

No. The only red mark is the one I indicated before.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

What kind of disaster has to happen for England to become a theocracy? My neighbor has been on this religion kick for a while, and it shows no signs of ever going away, even though every single vassal hates the poo poo out of every single cardinal-king of England.
There's some kind of fuckup regarding theocracies and factions right now; it consistently happens in after the end for instance, with occultists. You don't have elective factions or anything but independence I think, but theocracies usually have a shitload of levvies so meh.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How should I prepare for the sunset invasion as ireland? Right now I have two goals I'm working on, remove the councils' authority and form britania, and I think 600 years before the Aztecs show. All I can come up with is invest in my counties for levies and horde gold.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Are there any mods out there that decrease the number of men joining Holy Orders, or at least stop married men from doing it? Trying to play a 1337 game is pretty frustrating, since half your alliances will end when your moron son/brother-in-laws, in some cases the heirs to kingdoms, will suddenly decide that the Hospitallers are the right move for them. Or your primary heir in a different court.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to goad a vassal into doing something that allows you to revoke their title penalty free?

Edit: If I set up an anti-pope, can I get excommunications for free? I can't seem to grind out piety, or gold for that matter.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 7, 2016

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Is there a way to goad a vassal into doing something that allows you to revoke their title penalty free?

Edit: If I set up an anti-pope, can I get excommunications for free? I can't seem to grind out piety, or gold for that matter.

Excommunication is my favourite for it, but no, you don't get free excommunications and the piety is better spent directly on getting a claim.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks to the advice from this thread I've finally been able to work my way up from chief of Tir Chonaill to king of Ireland. But now I don't know what to do next. England is still fragmented and I'm trying to fabricate a claim on Gloucester. Pictland is united and the king keeps trying to get a betrothal for my daughter for unlanded courtiers. gently caress that noise.

Edit: my son in law is next in succession for the Byzantine empire. How do I use this to my advantage?

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 8, 2016

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Thanks to the advice from this thread I've finally been able to work my way up from chief of Tir Chonaill to king of Ireland. But now I don't know what to do next. England is still fragmented and I'm trying to fabricate a claim on Gloucester. Pictland is united and the king keeps trying to get a betrothal for my daughter for unlanded courtiers. gently caress that noise.

Edit: my son in law is next in succession for the Byzantine empire. How do I use this to my advantage?

You could try to use him to forge an alliance, but they might not go for it since they're pretty far away from you and probably Orthodox. If he's in your court or would accept an invite you could try having the marriage annulled and then remarrying them matrilineally and getting a grandson on the throne.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

By tribal/nomad opinion boosts does that mean my court?
Vassals, but yes, they'll be very impressed at what a strong ruler you are. The game will usually note it when you offer peace; "You become suzerain of Count Whatshisdick, replacing any other suzerain, you gain 200 prestige, and vassal Chiefs/Khans' opinions of you increase by 20 for 10 years".

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
It's about 830 and I'm the King of Norway and Sweden (waiting for some cash to claim the Finland title) and I'd like to reform the Pagan faith so that things don't splinter to poo poo when I die (or at least I can start working on that). I have 2 holy sites, need a 3rd but they're all in Francia's mighty grasp, any good ways to get one back without end up fighting 15k doomstacks?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Fabricate a claim, then try to get whoever holds denmark to revolt. Declare and ninja a win against the rebels before the franks get mobilized.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

Fabricate a claim, then try to get whoever holds denmark to revolt. Declare and ninja a win against the rebels before the franks get mobilized.

That sounds devious, I like it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
How do you get a country to revolt? I know you can show dissent with your chancellor but that's the only way I know.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

In the same vein, if you want to use your Chancellor to sow dissent, do you send them to the vassal you want to anger or to the liege you want them to get angry at?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Can you ally one of the liege's vassals and when they rise up join in?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

In the same vein, if you want to use your Chancellor to sow dissent, do you send them to the vassal you want to anger or to the liege you want them to get angry at?

To the vassal, I'm pretty sure. If you mouse over "Sow dissent" it should tell you.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Demon_Corsair posted:

E2: Is there a way to flip your Councillors personalities? 3 loving malcontents is going to be a rough go for this king.

Councilor attitudes aren't entirely set in stone. While they're mostly dependent on traits and stuff, they're also affected by relationships - a councilor who has a bad opinion of you is a lot more likely to be a malcontent. You can also get favors from them and then call in those favors to force them to support your proposals. It would also be incredibly convenient if your malcontent councillors all suffered unfortunate accidents of the deadly sort.

cock hero flux posted:

You didn't get to choose the trait in the event unless you were either the kid or the teacher so unless you wanted to teach all the little bastards yourself(which meant they would all have similar stats to you which you might not have wanted) you had to put them in the care of someone else which meant being pretty careful about who you picked.

Only for one or two generations, though. Once you did get an heir with the optimal education, his traits weren't much of a problem because you could then pass that education down to their children while choosing optimal traits, and breeding in optimal genetics, so it quickly snowballed into a line of Genius Grey Eminence superhumans with no negative traits. Once you got a ruler with the desired education, the only reason to have anyone else tutor your likely heirs was if you wanted a culture flip.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Only for one or two generations, though. Once you did get an heir with the optimal education, his traits weren't much of a problem because you could then pass that education down to their children while choosing optimal traits, and breeding in optimal genetics, so it quickly snowballed into a line of Genius Grey Eminence superhumans with no negative traits. Once you got a ruler with the desired education, the only reason to have anyone else tutor your likely heirs was if you wanted a culture flip.

Yeah, if you wanted all of your kids to have the same education trait. I really only wanted the heir to have a diplomatic education, typically, since it tended to cause problems if people liked his brothers better.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

Yeah, if you wanted all of your kids to have the same education trait. I really only wanted the heir to have a diplomatic education, typically, since it tended to cause problems if people liked his brothers better.

Well in that case the only thing you would have needed to do differently from Main Paineframe would have been to send your kids off to some master skilled dude or dudette the day before they filled sixteen.

The old education system was... not perfect.

I would wish the AI in Conclave was better at choosing the appropriate education, though.

I've seen so many kids getting educations that don't fit them in the least, leaving them as complete fuckups and-

This is social commentary, isn't it :smith:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Does setting up an anti-pope allow your counties to convert to a heretical branch of Catholicism?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Counties convert regardless, but setting up an anti-pope drops your religions moral authority pretty severely, making it more likely to happen.

Depending on which brand it is (I'm lookin' at you, Catharism) this can be a good thing, though only the Cathars and kiiiinddaa the Fraticelli got anything interesting going on. (And the Frats are only just "catholics, but it's only you and you only get a pope if you grab rome")

negationix
May 1, 2007

Agafya Vsemilovna was taken prisoner at age of 3. Instead of randoming her, the King merely placed her in house arrest and tutored her by himself, raising a proper Suomenusko believer. When Agafya turned of age, she was released from house arrest and invited in the court of King. After arrival, Agafya was betrothed to son of the King, who she also was entrusted to tutor. She has weak claims to high chiefdoms of Novgorod, Cheremisa, Mordva and Tver and duchy of Vlamdimir. Sometimes it's fun to scheme instead of just taking with sword, even without a specific goal.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

negationix posted:

Agafya Vsemilovna was taken prisoner at age of 3. Instead of randoming her, the King merely placed her in house arrest and tutored her by himself, raising a proper Suomenusko believer. When Agafya turned of age, she was released from house arrest and invited in the court of King. After arrival, Agafya was betrothed to son of the King, who she also was entrusted to tutor. She has weak claims to high chiefdoms of Novgorod, Cheremisa, Mordva and Tver and duchy of Vlamdimir. Sometimes it's fun to scheme instead of just taking with sword, even without a specific goal.

Before the education changes doing this as a viking after kidnapping heirs was soooooo fun. Matrimarried Ummayd all day erry day with strong claims that sometimes inherited.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I'm having an issue where (as norse pagan) I toggle my levies to looter and nothing happens. The toggle button changes and the name of the unit changes to 'raiders of...' but there's no looter icon above the the unit health bar or on my ships and if I send them to some foreign land they do nothing but stand around and look viking-ly.

Anyone encountered this before?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Thinking I want to try out a game playing as the malcontent councillor that always pisses me off. What is a decent place to play as a vassal with some clout. And one that is still a fairly easy game?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkrenown posted:

You are correct. I was confusing finding cool stats guys/gregarious and diligent culture changers, and educating them yourself.

Don't suppose you have a save like that? People shouldn't be mad if no one can serve.

I don't actually have Conclave. It was an MP game, so maybe that had something to do with it. Specifically I had a vassal who wanted to be on the council, but nobody could be replaced.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Demon_Corsair posted:

Thinking I want to try out a game playing as the malcontent councillor that always pisses me off. What is a decent place to play as a vassal with some clout. And one that is still a fairly easy game?

I had a ton of fun playing as one of the bigger dukes in the 769 charlemagne start. As the empire expands over all of italy, france, and germany you can really gently caress with the karlings and malcontent lords to plot alongside are dime a dozen.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
It would be nice if unlanded hosts were barred from raiding, since there are a shitload of them and they can't do anything with money anyway.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Yashichi posted:

It would be nice if unlanded hosts were barred from raiding, since there are a shitload of them and they can't do anything with money anyway.

Yeah, I kept seeing these thousand-strong stacks of vikings wandering across my pastureland and thinking "Don't you guys have conquering to fail at?"

e: Also a Khazar horde raiding in the middle of Andalusia, which was a real headscratcher.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Yashichi posted:

I think they can spend the money on growing larger.

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

Managing a large empire with Conclave is fun but there's absolutely no need for the incessant popups regarding courtier education, unless you're a weird min/max player who cares about the outcome beyond your direct lineage. I'd recommend for new players to hide childhood focus messages, it saves a lot of time and hassle and it'll improve your game tremendously. Keep the later education popups active though.

Tinkering with message settings is the best quality of life thing and I wish I started doing it hundreds of hours ago.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Does anyone in here play the Game of Thrones mod? If so, what Essos cultures are reasonably developed/fun to play? I've been loving around in Westeros for a while, cackling as I feed people to my dragons and just generally seeing how insane the AI gets, and it's great, but I want to see what the rest of the map has to offer.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Modding question. I'm trying to do one of either two things for a new playthrough, but I can't figure out how to make it work. Either make it so that feudal germanic pagans are locked into open succession with the same iqta mechanics as Muslims, or to edit the tribal invasion CB so that Muslims can use it. The goal being a republic where I can use the tribal invasion CB to expand, while giving all the acquired titles to family members, who will be locked into open succession, so none of my vassal families will get into seniority and start ruining my internal borders. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

I think they can spend the money on growing larger.

They spawn with 500 gold that they can't use for anything. You used to be able to banish them and take it when you defeated their invasion but it just disappears now.

Even if they could use it, they have no way to get the money since it goes into their boats and there's no land for them to take it to. :shrug:

• Locked thread