Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Has there ever been any word about whether or not the Long War people are going to make a mod that reworks the way research and upgrades work like they did for EW? I don't like that the tier-2 armor just replaces the tier-1, I preferred having to buy each suit individually and then deciding who to give it to for each mission. Same with higher tier weapons. I like the challenge that comes with having limited amounts of higher tier stuff.

I hope Long War comes back in full for XCOM2. I loved all of the new tactical decisions you would have to make in Long War (after I adjusted the .ini file so that aliens didn't have absurd amounts of HP, gently caress having Cyberdisks with 60+ health, they are already death incarnate when they have 16).

Edit: unrelated, but how do you determine whether or not to abort a mission? I can never tell how bad I will get hosed if I run away as opposed to accepting losses and completing a mission with only one survivor. I am always worried that running away will put me into an unwinnable situation later on.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's just something that comes with practice, and from knowing what you can likely handle with what you have available.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

The Skeleton King posted:

Has there ever been any word about whether or not the Long War people are going to make a mod that reworks the way research and upgrades work like they did for EW?

Probably not judging from Amineri's hints on the modding discord about what the final mod is going to be focused on (EXALT), but again, like a lot of other things, there's a mod for that.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Ah, thank you. I never saw those before.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Elth posted:

I haven't actually started a new campaign with Shen's DLC but I'm just a bit disappointed by the new "class" being a SHIV that can level up. I always thought 4 soldier classes with only 2 choices of build each to be rather limited, even in Xcom1. Psi-ops being their own class also feels like a step back, especially now that they only level up on the geoscape. I've never actually played Long War or any class mods, but 8 classes with a vastly expanded perk selection and more valid builds looks much more interesting by comparison.

So far I'm not really sure there are more valid builds than before and you have the danger that it's harder to replace lost soldiers with twice as many classes for them to roll as.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I don't color-code my classes, simply because My last few campaigns have all pulled characters solely from my character pool, and to have, for example, Zaeed Massani's outfit is mostly yellow. Jack Morrison's outfit is blue. Doesn't matter what class they are. I identify my classes more by the character than anything else, but if I go for randomized characters, I have used colorschemes before. Then again, the last time I did so, it was in EW, so I'd need to think about it again for XCom 2. I may just try out the LW Perk Pack in my next run, though. Would be my first foray into modding the classes themselves.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I bought this game on the sale and have been marathon-playing it. I really didn't realize how addictive it would be, but enjoyed the original X-com.

I'm just playing on Normal and have screwed up in several places already; in hindsight I really should've built up resistance comms and not blown my Intel in the black market on dumb stuff. I'm currently hanging on by a thread.

Is it normally to perpetually seesaw between having the Doom Timer counting down in those last 30 days? I think because I wasn't able to contact resistance cells early on it prevented me from blowing up Black Site facilities I couldn't yet reach. So now the Avatar Project is perpetually at max/near max. But on the flip side, I'm really enjoying the tension.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
What determines how long a robot stays hack-controlled? I like stealing their robutts and turning them on their forces but I'm always concerned they won't get destroyed/do much before they regain control again.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^ I always assume three turns of hacking. Everything after that, treat it as an enemy. You can shoot friendly hacked bots and ADVENT before your control runs out, unlike in EU/EW.

Panfilo posted:

I bought this game on the sale and have been marathon-playing it. I really didn't realize how addictive it would be, but enjoyed the original X-com.

I'm just playing on Normal and have screwed up in several places already; in hindsight I really should've built up resistance comms and not blown my Intel in the black market on dumb stuff. I'm currently hanging on by a thread.

Is it normally to perpetually seesaw between having the Doom Timer counting down in those last 30 days? I think because I wasn't able to contact resistance cells early on it prevented me from blowing up Black Site facilities I couldn't yet reach. So now the Avatar Project is perpetually at max/near max. But on the flip side, I'm really enjoying the tension.

That's what I did on my first playthrough. :v: If you have the Shadow Chamber, completing the missions you'll get from it will usually knock down the doom timer one or two blips. Additionally, there's a random chance that hacking security tower/lamps will have a reward of Facility Lead, which can be researched relatively quickly to let you jump to a Facility without contacting that region's local resistance.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Thanks. Is there an optimal research order? I noticed if you get a lot of missions in a short timeframe, you don't have to waste time on autopsies since getting 5 or so corpses gives you instant autopsies. But I'm not sure if focusing on armor or weapons was the way to go.

Then there is a tradeoff between being able to afford an item you researched when it is accessible, and having an item that may only be useful on one or two guys.

What should I focus on in the Proving Grounds? I got the Exo Suit and wrist flamethrower so far, and I'm working on Grenades. Does the Improved Grenade Launcher boost the blast radius of ALL grenades? Because that's gotta be really good considering flashbangs and emp grenades already have a big radius.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Here's something new that happened:

A ranger with Blademaster was panicked. Next turn, I move a guy next to him, and it triggered Blademaster!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Panfilo posted:

Thanks. Is there an optimal research order? I noticed if you get a lot of missions in a short timeframe, you don't have to waste time on autopsies since getting 5 or so corpses gives you instant autopsies. But I'm not sure if focusing on armor or weapons was the way to go.

Then there is a tradeoff between being able to afford an item you researched when it is accessible, and having an item that may only be useful on one or two guys.

What should I focus on in the Proving Grounds? I got the Exo Suit and wrist flamethrower so far, and I'm working on Grenades. Does the Improved Grenade Launcher boost the blast radius of ALL grenades? Because that's gotta be really good considering flashbangs and emp grenades already have a big radius.

Eventually that'll round out. Once I have a Proving Grounds set up, I start powering towards Magnetic firearms and better armor. You can coast on that for a while, and eventually you won't have much to work on except for plasma firearms / powered armor. Autopsies are taken on opportunity -- I prioritize Faceless and Muton autopsies for their benefits.

You'll be fine, probably, focusing on whatever you need or whatever works for you. I don't find EXO / Spider suits too useful because of the loss of an equippable slot -- the upgraded EXO armor, WAR, is much better. There's a Proving Grounds project for Advanced Explosives that upgrades your experimental nades into X Bombs. Can't recall if those upgrades affect EMPs or Flashbangs, but the Improved launcher probably upgrades all nade radius. It's one of the reasons why grenadiers are so good. I like having two Bluescreen Protocol ammo upgrades -- and in general, Ammo projects can be useful. Poison/Fire shots can be lethal on a Gunslinger sniper, and Tracer rounds for classes that you need to hit. Rangers and other high crit rate classes want Talon rounds. Don't bother with Vest projects.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dr Christmas posted:

A ranger with Blademaster was panicked. Next turn, I move a guy next to him, and it triggered Blademaster!

Holy poo poo

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Huh I knew Overwatch type abilities worked if they were Mind Controlled [The Overwatch you put them in just stays after they get MCed] but I had not seen that particular interaction before, that is kind of interesting in a gently caress you sort of way.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Is capturing enemy VIPs offering better rewards than just killing them outright? I would assume so.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Panfilo posted:

Is capturing enemy VIPs offering better rewards than just killing them outright? I would assume so.

Yes. You only get the supply rewards, not the Intel, from killing them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Holy poo poo the Berserker King showing up in the middle of an extraction is kind of bullshit. He can knock three people dead or unconscious as part of a single reaction and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was really lucky and the second time the Berserker Queen showed up, I had my entire team on overwatch, and my SPARK's shredder hit first, so she basically was like a bandit popping out at a shooting gallery.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Dr Christmas posted:

Weird, that happened to me just this morning.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah the second time the serpent king showed up, my entire squad was on overwatch. I got the achievement notification at the beginning of the turn and proceeded to watch my guys gently caress him up. It finished with an execute.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I've noticed that a lot of mods have illustrations on their Steam Workshop page where you can see the full revealed ability tree of a class on a soldier's screen even if they're just squaddie rank. Is there a debug command or something that can let you check what those hidden abilities are for a given soldier? Having something like that would make this first project of mine a whole lot easier to manage.

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 11, 2016

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Spiderfist Island posted:

I've noticed that a lot of mods have illustrations on their Steam Workshop page where you can see the full revealed ability tree of a class on a soldier's screen even if they're just squaddie rank. Is there a debug command or something that can let you check what those hidden abilities are for a given soldier? Having something like that would make this first project of mine a whole lot easier to manage.

I'm tablet posting or I'd link it but there's a mod called "show me the perks" that does exactly that.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
You will however need this mod or you won't find it very usable, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=718281467

For long war perk pack they could have skipped Ranger. Three other classes use rifles and their only specialization is "shoot better". With eight classes including PSI I don't think it would hurt to lose them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Yeah the second time the serpent king showed up, my entire squad was on overwatch. I got the achievement notification at the beginning of the turn and proceeded to watch my guys gently caress him up. It finished with an execute.

I'm really not a fan of the achievements spoiling the dice rolls.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Carecat posted:

You will however need this mod or you won't find it very usable, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=718281467

For long war perk pack they could have skipped Ranger. Three other classes use rifles and their only specialization is "shoot better". With eight classes including PSI I don't think it would hurt to lose them.

If my rookies are any indication, shooting straight is as noteworthy a superpower as blowing people up with psi powers in the xcom universe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Giving my sniper tracer rounds and a perception PCS was a game changer.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Jesus, the dark effect that halves the timer on all timed missions can go gently caress itself. 5 turns total to extract a VIP seems legit.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Cynic Jester posted:

Jesus, the dark effect that halves the timer on all timed missions can go gently caress itself. 5 turns total to extract a VIP seems legit.

Shoot the VIP in the face as you make a mad dash for the extraction point.

Even if it's a friendly VIP.
:getin:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Funny thing is, this rare event is added by the True Concealment mod as a joke / ironic payoff for the tons of free turns it usually gives you. Hilarious for onlookers though :smug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lurdiak posted:

Giving my sniper tracer rounds and a perception PCS was a game changer.

My sniper's actually hitting things with her sniper rifle and rapid fire and I don't know how to feel about the sniper actually being a good weapon this time around.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lurdiak posted:

I'm really not a fan of the achievements spoiling the dice rolls.

To be fair, its only ever going to spoil them once per achievement.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Haha my sniper is okay, but man does missing five shots 80%+ shots in an ambush with deadzone enabled hurt. Still mostly pulled that one off courtesy of a heavy who got deadzone through ACS.

Something obscure I noticed recently -- blowing up the LZ causes it to be "compromised" and it will move, sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse. I was launching grenades at it because it was covered in enemy troops. It got compromised and moved somewhere far more reachable.

Was on a very difficult VIP extraction. Randomly tried hacking one of the towers (we all know hacking is a dumb mechanic...) and somehow had a 94% or so to take control of a random enemy. HOLY HELL IT SAVED THE MISSION. Would have been utterly impossible without it. I got a heavy MEC, which then revealed all the tough troops around it including the effing sectopod. I used my two turns to launch its micromissiles. First one did damage to virtually every one. But the main point was to disarm it and shred the sectopod.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

Cynic Jester posted:

You can turn that dark event off in the folder for the mod. Instructions are on the mod's workshop page. Yeah, it's bullshit.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I played a vanilla campaign, are the DLCs different enough to be worth a new vanilla playthrough or would you guys still recommend mods to keep it fresh?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I played a vanilla campaign, are the DLCs different enough to be worth a new vanilla playthrough or would you guys still recommend mods to keep it fresh?

Mods! The DLC are super loving anime so most mods fit the tone of the base game more than the official DLC. Long War's mods are all good, though you can play without the soldier class overhaul if that's not your style. The new laser pack mod actually makes the mid-late game harder because it takes longer to reach Plasma. There's a mod that make enemy pack sizes 33% larger on average if you're feeling plucky.

Did you play without any of the convenience or good cosmetic mods? They're a god-send.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't remember having this problem on my first playthrough attempt, but on my current one I'm constantly scrounging for supplies. Even though I've had plasma "available" for ages, I've been able to do only one major unlock per month, if that.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

teethgrinder posted:

I don't remember having this problem on my first playthrough attempt, but on my current one I'm constantly scrounging for supplies. Even though I've had plasma "available" for ages, I've been able to do only one major unlock per month, if that.

A lot of it is luck based, i.e. continent bonuses. Plasma is generally after you got a huge supply income from your resistance outposts though, so I have no clue what to say unless you researched the tech really early.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have shitloads of resistance contacts (North America, Oceanana, most/all of Asia) but I seem to only be bringing in around 350 supplies a month, rounded up. And of course there's the delay of actually getting them, and then base-building had been eating them steadily too. Base is more or less fully-equipped now (no defences) so I can focus on plasma. I think the outsider gate took 200 supplies alone!

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

I have shitloads of resistance contacts (North America, Oceanana, most/all of Asia) but I seem to only be bringing in around 350 supplies a month, rounded up. And of course there's the delay of actually getting them, and then base-building had been eating them steadily too. Base is more or less fully-equipped now (no defences) so I can focus on plasma. I think the outsider gate took 200 supplies alone!

Have you been selling corpses at the black market and building radio towers?

In regards to the perk pack, I'm just stoked they added Close Combat Specialist back in. Why yes, I'd love to park my shotgun-toting assault on your reinforcement flare, thank you very much.

Kwanzaa Quickie fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah, sell excess stuff at the market, also if you have an intel surplus, need a quick infusion of cash, and you're not about to get doom clocked with no way to kill it, buy supplies from the market as well.