Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
She gets cut out of nowhere for messing with Sebastion. They are still in the system or the big bad got out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
apparently you find his dead body in the dlc? he looks dead in the ending of the base game now that i rewatch it

Relin fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 6, 2016

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Kortel posted:

She gets cut out of nowhere for messing with Sebastion. They are still in the system or the big bad got out.
I get the feeling that Ruvik got out as we saw in the base ending of the game.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Pretty sure they mention that the biggest giveaway that you are linked is this annoying as gently caress tone you hear two times in the game. First time is in the car while they travel to the hospital. Second time is when Sebastian walks out of the hospital at the end.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Who killed all the people at the beginning in the hospital? I know when you're already plugged in, you see Ruvik doing it. Then at the end when you walk out, there's still all those corpses. So either he could act on the outside world while in the STEM already, or Moebius killed all those people on the way to getting access to the system, or when they left. Which seems oddly flashy for a secret organization, who may not know how long it takes to resolve the Ruvik problem inside STEM. Assuming that they just grabbed Sebastion when he showed up in a squad car and shoved him in there (again if Kidman was the plant, why not just blow Seb, Oda's, and the other cop's brains out since they're killing people anyway?). Also why not just shoot Leslie outside the machine ,when Kidman's goal was to kill him any way? Really the writing in the game is really bad and doesn't stand up to any scrutiny

Relin fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 6, 2016

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mindblast posted:

Pretty sure they mention that the biggest giveaway that you are linked is this annoying as gently caress tone you hear two times in the game. First time is in the car while they travel to the hospital. Second time is when Sebastian walks out of the hospital at the end.
I think they heard the initial wave heading to the hospital because they were getting in range of the STEM, and Seb heard it when he left because Ruvik was out in the world as a mobile STEM.

Relin posted:

Who killed all the people at the beginning in the hospital? I know when you're already plugged in, you see Ruvik doing it. Then at the end when you walk out, there's still all those corpses. So either he could act on the outside world while in the STEM already, or Moebius killed all those people on the way to getting access to the system, or when they left. Which seems oddly flashy for a secret organization, who may not know how long it takes to resolve the Ruvik problem inside STEM. Assuming that they just grabbed Sebastion when he showed up in a squad car and shoved him in there (again if Kidman was the plant, why not just blow Seb, Oda's, and the other cop's brains out since they're killing people anyway?). Also why not just shoot Leslie outside the machine ,when Kidman's goal was to kill him any way? Really the writing in the game is really bad and doesn't stand up to any scrutiny
Ruvik seemed to have some physical manifestations within the range of the hospital and being within range of the STEM; that was the limit to his existence without a body. He finally stopped playing coy with not-Umbrella at the end because he knew that they and Jimenez were coming in to steal his work and kill him; thus he either outright murders people in the hospital before Seb, Oda, and Kidman show up, or he does what he invariably is going to do to the outside world and drive people nuts/into angry zombie mode. And as far as I could tell from the ending, Kidman convinced Seb's not dead wife that they were bound to be dead soon either way and that extra effort wouldn't be needed. Also probably a shot up body is something that would bring up questions; at least with whatever shock they suffered in STEM that led to death could be explained as possible natural causes.

Also Kidman's goal wasn't to kill Leslie; she was merely supposed to remove him from STEM and from Ruvik's grasp. It only became later that she realized not-Umbrella wanted Leslie to use as a replacement for Ruvik in the new STEM and that she decided to kill him to gently caress over not-Umbrella and to stop Ruvik's escape route.

I kinda feel like you didn't play the DLC cause this is all in that.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 6, 2016

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

i sure didnt

just like i didnt play the mass effect 3 dlc that had a huge chunk of plot pivotal content. put it in the main game if it's so important, bad devs

(also i'm sure i've forgotten things)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

You missed out; the DLC was super good and somehow made the game even more tense. Also it had some amazing glow stick lighting and an odd bit where you play as the safe head dude but from a first person perspective, kinda like Condemned.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I just played through Playdead's Inside and while I wouldn't call it outright horror, it's got some creepy elements to it and a solid atmosphere if you're into that sorta thing. The tension is what sells it to me as a decent game for horror fans, I guess.

The uh. The story is.... well, I'm not sure entirely what was supposed to be happening, but the game sure did take a turn at the end that I wasn't expecting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I heard of a game called Assemblance from some LP guy I watch - it looks like a more psychological, science-y PT Demo, and exclusive to the PS4. It looks quite good, and looks to be a step above the typical indie horror faire we've seen so much of lately. I can't find it on the browser-based PSN, so I dunno what's up with that.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Morpheus posted:

So I heard of a game called Assemblance from some LP guy I watch - it looks like a more psychological, science-y PT Demo, and exclusive to the PS4. It looks quite good, and looks to be a step above the typical indie horror faire we've seen so much of lately. I can't find it on the browser-based PSN, so I dunno what's up with that.

played a little of this, A. it's on PC and B. it's like soma meets pt but also not as good as that sounds

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Inside is pretty good so far. Super spooky atmosphere, lovely graphics, and I pulled a worm out of zombie pigs butt.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
"Asemblance." One S. Not two.

A-semblance. Not assemblance, the being assembled, a semblance, a thing that reminds you of another thing.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Sounds way too good to be true op

Niggurath posted:

Inside is pretty good so far. Super spooky atmosphere, lovely graphics, and I pulled a worm out of zombie pigs butt.

I... will pass on gross out horror

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

It's one sequence and it's very brief, don't let it turn you off.

Inside is one of the tensest games I've played all year, it's definitely worth a look.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

Inside is one of the tensest games I've played all year, it's definitely worth a look.

it's by the people who did Limbo right?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bogart posted:

"Asemblance." One S. Not two.

A-semblance. Not assemblance, the being assembled, a semblance, a thing that reminds you of another thing.

Ohhhhh that explains much.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exploding mummy posted:

Yeah, and it's definitely one of those "okay, let's finally make the game we wanted to make the first time" sort of situations.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Yeah, I was only mentioning it as a point of humor. Not really something indicative of the overall feel of the game. It's like Oxxidation said, super tense and all that.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Morpheus posted:

Ohhhhh that explains much.

I made the same mistake. :shobon:

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, I was only mentioning it as a point of humor. Not really something indicative of the overall feel of the game. It's like Oxxidation said, super tense and all that.

Oxxidation posted:

It's one sequence and it's very brief, don't let it turn you off.

exploding mummy posted:

OKAY OKAY I BOUGHT IT GOD YOU GUYS I WON'T HAVE TIME FOR IT UNTIL AUGUST

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
are you guys recommend a spooky game that isn't a first person spooky building simulator? I'm preparing for halloween

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Man, I did not see that final part of 'Inside' coming...but gently caress, it felt good. Especially after getting drowned by that little girl over and over again.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
INSIDE is very good!!! I will not spoil a second of it. Loved it, gonna try to get 100% today.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Except for the secret ending, which isn't as clever as the designers think it is, I do not get what the hell is going on in INSIDE at all.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I'm not reading anything about the secret ending,, no spoilers please, LA LA LA MY FINGERS ARE IN MY EARS AND I HAVE UNFOCUSED MY EYES SO I DIDN'T READ ALL OF YOUR POST EXCEPT FOR THE FIRST FEW WORDS.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Man, I wasn't expecting Inside to actually be a prequel to PIxar's Inside Out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

VoidBurger posted:

I'm not reading anything about the secret ending,, no spoilers please, LA LA LA MY FINGERS ARE IN MY EARS AND I HAVE UNFOCUSED MY EYES SO I DIDN'T READ ALL OF YOUR POST EXCEPT FOR THE FIRST FEW WORDS.

Lighten up, Francis.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Except for the secret ending, which isn't as clever as the designers think it is, I do not get what the hell is going on in INSIDE at all.

So, here's what I put together. Don't mouse over unless you finished the game, obviously.

The world has undergone some severe catastrophe - huge parts of it are buried and flooded, it's in ruins and full of long-defunct machinery so broken we can't tell what purpose it served anymore, there's at least one huge underground chamber wracked with explosions from some other haywire machine far away. The leftovers of humanity are going to some extremely shady ends to keep their little corner of civilization alive, rounding people up for mind-control experiments and using the husks either as cheap labor or, in the case of the inverse-water chambers, using them as incubators for the parasitic worms that seem to be the basis of the mind control (the worms are everywhere in the floating corpses, and the scene with the pig doesn't make much sense otherwise). Those weird pods you see in the woods at the start of the game and later scattered all over the place in the factories and ruins seem to serve some purpose too. Maybe they're where the worms are implanted or the people are kept until pickup, who knows. Either way, they're transported en masse to the Facility, whose population seems occupied with studying the effects of the husks and the broken landscape (the geography in INSIDE makes zero sense, it's like the world forgot which direction was up, and at least one of the demonstration chambers in the Facility is a topographical map that seems to illustrate that), and stays well divorced from the horrible things they're doing to keep their research afloat. The centerpiece of their research is a mass of conjoined Flesh that's capable of controlling the husks remotely, from a great distance, though when we actually arrive at the facility it appears to be doing something that gives all the other researchers concern for serious panic.

The boy is a survivor or escapee from one of the Facility's raids. He doesn't have a goal or a destination in mind - he's just running in a blind panic, solving puzzles and opening doors to put as much distance between himself and his captors as possible, hoping to find a part of the world that doesn't want to immediately kill him. He keeps going until he has an encounter with the Drowned Girl that he can't escape from, and gets pulled under. From this point onward, the boy is dead. He drowned. He has checked out of the game.

Several things happen after this sequence. The boy's capable of staying underwater indefinitely, he can command the husks without the use of a helmet, and his reactions to the world around him are a great deal less frightened and anxious. That's all connected to the node the Drowned Girl stuck on him after he drowned, similar to the helmets themselves. After he dies, the boy is a remote body being piloted by the Flesh imprisoned inside (get it, you get it) the Facility, steering his body and all the others to its prison so it can escape. The boy can swim indefinitely because he's not breathing; he's not actually controlling the other husks, the Flesh is just making them work as a unit; he's not interested in the world around him anymore because he's not capable of it. After he frees the Flesh and is pulled inside (there you go again) the central mass, the Flesh justifiably wrecks up the place but is unwittingly guided by the Facility's staff into entering yet another lightless prison. But it breaks out, and leaves the Facility, and comes to rest on a sunny strip of sand outside. That's where the game ends, because the main character got what it wanted. The Flesh is broken and probably dying, but it's finally outside.

Obviously the game's not really interested in telling a huge intricate plot, the actual events are more of a skeleton used to hold up themes of industrialization, escape and casual cruelty. I don't believe the secret ending has anything to do with the "canon" ending at all - it's just a cute aside by the game reminded us that we, the players, are still ultimately the ones in control, giving all the characters agency.

It's a hell of a lot more coherent than Limbo, in any case.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 10, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

So, here's what I put together. Don't mouse over unless you finished the game, obviously.

The world has undergone some severe catastrophe - huge parts of it are buried and flooded, it's in ruins and full of long-defunct machinery so broken we can't tell what purpose it served anymore, there's at least one huge underground chamber wracked with explosions from some other haywire machine far away. The leftovers of humanity are going to some extremely shady ends to keep their little corner of civilization alive, rounding people up for mind-control experiments and using the husks either as cheap labor or, in the case of the inverse-water chambers, using them as incubators for the parasitic worms that seem to be the basis of the mind control (the worms are everywhere in the floating corpses, and the scene with the pig doesn't make much sense otherwise). Those weird pods you see in the woods at the start of the game and later scattered all over the place in the factories and ruins seem to serve some purpose too. Maybe they're where the worms are implanted or the people are kept until pickup, who knows. Either way, they're transported en masse to the Facility, whose population seems occupied with studying the effects of the husks and the broken landscape (the geography in INSIDE makes zero sense, it's like the world forgot which direction was up, and at least one of the demonstration chambers in the Facility is a topographical map that seems to illustrate that), and stays well divorced from the horrible things they're doing to keep their research afloat. The centerpiece of their research is a mass of conjoined Flesh that's capable of controlling the husks remotely, from a great distance, though when we actually arrive at the facility it appears to be doing something that gives all the other researchers concern for serious panic.

The boy is a survivor or escapee from one of the Facility's raids. He doesn't have a goal or a destination in mind - he's just running in a blind panic, solving puzzles and opening doors to put as much distance between himself and his captors as possible, hoping to find a part of the world that doesn't want to immediately kill him. He keeps going until he has an encounter with the Drowned Girl that he can't escape from, and gets pulled under. From this point onward, the boy is dead. He drowned. He has checked out of the game.

Several things happen after this sequence. The boy's capable of staying underwater indefinitely, he can command the husks without the use of a helmet, and his reactions to the world around him are a great deal less panicked and anxious. That's all connected to the node the Drowned Girl stuck on him after he drowned, similar to the helmets themselves. After he dies, the boy is a remote body being piloted by the Flesh imprisoned inside (get it, you get it) the Facility, steering his body and all the others to its prison so it can escape. The boy can swim indefinitely because he's not breathing; he's not actually controlling the other husks, the Flesh is just making them work as a unit; he's not interested in the world around him anymore because he's not capable of it. After he frees the Flesh and is pulled inside (there you go again) the central mass, the Flesh justifiably wrecks up the place but is unwittingly guided by the Facility's staff into entering yet another lightless prison. But it breaks out, and leaves the Facility, and comes to rest on a sunny strip of sand outside. That's where the game ends, because the main character got what it wanted. The Flesh is broken and probably dying, but it's finally outside.

Obviously the game's not really interested in telling a huge intricate plot, the actual events are more of a skeleton used to hold up themes of industrialization, escape and casual cruelty. I don't believe the secret ending has anything to do with the "canon" ending at all - it's just a cute aside by the game reminded us that we, the players, are still ultimately the ones in control, giving all the characters agency.

It's a hell of a lot more coherent than Limbo, in any case.

Actually...
I think that the people being rounded up are already infected by the worms. The worms cause a destruction of the will and personality, making them empty vessels that can only be controlled, and that the forest you start in is a containment are, as is evidenced by the fact that it's fenced off and monitored. Note that we don't ever see any sign of people being forcibly rounded up or converted into mindless drones. I think that the sinister facility is trying to study the contagion, and that advanced stages of it mutate humans to a semi-aquatic lifeform, with each 'floating corpse' room representing a more advanced stage of the worm infection. Furthermore,

Holy poo poo, don't mouse over this last part. I mean it.

The boy is not normal. The boy is being mind controlled by you, the player, the entire time. After you unplug the secret mind control machine, the boy's body goes limp, just like all of the drones you relinquish control of throughout the game when using a mind control device, and then the game ends. The boy is one of the drone humans, and has been the entire time.

Seriously, it's hidden ending spoilers in that second one. Don't look at it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Holy poo poo, don't mouse over this last part. I mean it.

Like I said, I don't think that the secret ending has anything to do with the rest of the game. Of course the boy's a remote body - he's remotely being controlled by the players, just like all video game characters. But for the events of the actual game, he's still alive and "normal" until the occurrence with the Drowned Girl. The secret ending is a little piece of metacommentary divorced from larger events.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

A.o.D. posted:

Lighten up, Francis.
Just got the alt ending, I liked it, and liked it better for having not read your dumb opinion on it (Specifically that it's not as "clever" as the devs think it is, I don't think they're really trying to be especially clever.) It's not what I'd call "satisfying", but Playdead has never really been in the business of making satisfying endings that explain everything. Still liked it though.

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 10, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I really want to play Asemblance but lack of subtitles means I'm gonna try to wait for a patch.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The thing I miss from Limbo is the ability to go to a specific section to hunt for secrets. Not a big thing but some of these hints in the achievement make it hard to figure out which zone they're referencing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mindblast posted:

The thing I miss from Limbo is the ability to go to a specific section to hunt for secrets. Not a big thing but some of these hints in the achievement make it hard to figure out which zone they're referencing.

You can select a specific screen in the Load option in the main menu.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ineffiable posted:

I really want to play Asemblance but lack of subtitles means I'm gonna try to wait for a patch.

I really want to play Asemblance but being on the PS4 means I'm not going to pay $300 to play it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

You can select a specific screen in the Load option in the main menu.

I have no idea why I didn't bother looking there. :downs: Thanks!

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Just rewatched Alien today, still a drat masterpiece to me. If Ridley can pull it off and make the new Alien half as good, I'm pretty hopeful that SEGA will tell CA they can make a new game. Please don't gently caress it up Scott.

I mean, EA of all people gave Mirror's Edge a second chance in the end and the first game sold abysmally, while Isolation actually sold pretty drat well considering the circumstances.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Skyscraper posted:

I really want to play Asemblance but being on the PS4 means I'm not going to pay $300 to play it.

Is it not on pc? I mean a quick Google says it's on steam too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ineffiable posted:

Is it not on pc? I mean a quick Google says it's on steam too.

Oh you're absolutely right. Assemblance isn't on Steam. I'm smart.