Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icetongue
Jun 22, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait why did Bear Trap nuke the chat?

Why is that a banned thing?

I guess it's because "trap" is used as a derogatory term for transexuals.

E:
Well, look at all those replies that came out of nowhere while I tried to figure out how spell derogatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Good marathon! Everything went really smoothly, so good job to everyone running it.

My favourites: Ratchet & Clank, Dishonored, Jedi Academy, Strangers Wrath, Curse of Issyos, Dustforce, Momodora, Jak and Daxter, Tetris, TES/Fallout/Two Worlds block (although Arena dragged a bit and FO3 had that one bit), SMW low%, Mario Maker, Pepsiman, Diablo 2, TASBot.

I still feel like there are way too many runs that are only there because they're big name franchises. Did we need eight different mega man games? Ten hours of old Zelda games? Ten hours of Mario (excluding mario maker and SMW low%)? I know they're popular, but they drag a bit for me, especially when they're stuff like any%. No-one ever seems to list them as favourites unless it's something very different like the low%/grandma% SMW or a particularly exciting race. I guess they pull in a lot of money from the high earning 35 year olds who grew up in the 90s. Am I alone in this?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The Dishonored run got me to finally start playing my copy and good lord I am in love with everything about this game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

MooCowlian posted:

I still feel like there are way too many runs that are only there because they're big name franchises. Did we need eight different mega man games? Ten hours of old Zelda games? Ten hours of Mario (excluding mario maker and SMW low%)? I know they're popular, but they drag a bit for me, especially when they're stuff like any%. No-one ever seems to list them as favourites unless it's something very different like the low%/grandma% SMW or a particularly exciting race. I guess they pull in a lot of money from the high earning 35 year olds who grew up in the 90s. Am I alone in this?

They pretty much exist the same reason that the RPG speedruns do: People pay out the rear end during them for some reason. I mean, there was an RPG only speedrun stream a couple of months ago that raised $75k.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

They pretty much exist the same reason that the RPG speedruns do: People pay out the rear end during them for some reason. I mean, there was an RPG only speedrun stream a couple of months ago that raised $75k.

Plus I do like when the RPG speedruns find some glitch that just breaks the game. I never knew how powerful the sketch glitch can get, and this is something I found in Final Fantasy VI when I was a kid by mistake. I always thought it was just used to get a ton of unique items like XP Egg or Illumia.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Dias posted:

Personal highlights:

- Jak and Daxter, aka Naruto and Pikachu: The Quest for Owen Wilson's Car Keys, aka Bonesaw's Fever Dream. The run itself wasn't BAD either, but the slow descent into madness makes it.
- SOTN blindfolded, because it's SOTN blindfolded. Also a bit of trainwreckiness added in for flavor.
- Jedi Academy, which is a legit great run to watch with great commentary by a very enthusiastic dude. Take a bath.
- Momodora, because it had the most :3: moment of the stream and Halfcoordinated is awesome anyway.
- Dustforce, although it starts a bit slow. The run is pretty chill and technically sound for a while, then they hit the Difficult levels and all the butts clench.
- Tetris block. If you have to ask...
- Super Mario Maker blind race, which wasn't a blowout this year, featured some fun levels and Chronic (?) carrying the team on his back.
- PEPSIMAN FOR TV-GAME
- TASBot as a whole was good, but one controller four games is definitely the better run if you can only be bothered to watch one.
- Super Metroid Running Man%. :getin:
- oh, I almost forgot about SMW grandma% low%. I was kinda busy when it was going on so I almost missed out on it, but I think it qualifies.

Honorable mentions:

- Demon's Crest featured a lovely group of high school stoners that grew up on me as the run went on, dude. It's very chill but maybe not as good if you're not watching it 3am like I did, dude.
- The entirety of GB block and Kirby stuff (bar Riders) was pretty cool. Like, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it if pressed for time but ProtoMagicalGirl did some great commentary and it was pretty cute and fun.
- I liked both Freedom Planet and Guacamelee, not enough to highlight but enough that I think I should mention them. the commentary was fine stfu
- Bioshock was a fine run with a really good joke in it.
- Quackshot had some good commentary too, kinda lost in the middle of a bunch of runs I don't really remember.
- Sonic 06 is a broken mess.
- Bionic Commando because it's my boi PJ. In fact, the whole platformer block from Shatterhand to Gimmick might be worth a watch.
- Elder Scrolls block?? I don't give a gently caress about those games, but up to Morrowind the runs were fun. I fell asleep during Morrowind because I was tired as gently caress.

poo poo to avoid:

- Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, which might be the worst run in the entire marathon. Insufferable commentator and not cringey enough for you masochists, I think.
- Trials Fusion was a failure of a showcase, even if the last levels were actually pretty impressive. Dead commentary, no music, lots of custom levels that were boring to watch but had references.

Dishonorable mentions:

- The small block between Dustforce and Escape Goat 2 really isn't worth watching, and Prompt was especially bad. Short enough that whatever, I'll let it pass, but it also had the one stream crash of the marathon during a game so there's that too.
- Mighty Gunvolt was a dead run of a Megaman clone. Use your fuckin' words, people
- the "awful block" not named awful block was really nothing this year :smith:

I guess those are my $0.02 for the thread. It really was a great GDQ.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I'd add:

Super Mario Sunshine - A solid opener with cool tricks and good commentary. Should be traditional for Summer forever.
Catherine - Intense puzzling action. That last part was mind-blowing.
New Super Mario Bros. 1 & 2 - I fall into that weird Nintendo fan category that actually really likes the NSMB games and these are two good runs of two good games. The first run is great all-around, the second has the utterly hilarious dying DS.
The Rapid Angel - Caveman, the leader of the PlayStation Nation, is always great and this game is so weird and kinda bad. Look out for that bush that shoots cats.
Hagane and Skyblazer - The Omnigamer block was great, with Skyblazer being a real standout.
Mega Man 8 - Many peoples' least-favorite Mega Man, but one of my favorites. Really good commentary, too.
Curse of Issyos - A fun race on a game I'd never heard of but now kinda want to give a try.
Dino City - Anything by Team PLC is great. This is the Yoshi's Island you never knew.
Donkey Kong Country 3 - The best game in the series in a really competitive race.
The Little Mermaid - Good, super-short run with fun commentary.
Klonoa - More Caveman, a good come-down after the amazing Jak and Daxter run.
Super Mario Land - With Waluigi mode active.
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Insightful commentary and a really good run.
Super Mario World (All Castles) - A very competitive race in a neat category.
Mega Man X3 - Caleb is real good at Mega Man, ya'll.
Super Mario 64 - A great encore. Having that one last bonus game is a really good donation incentive.

I'm also gonna break with hivemind and give a special shout-out to all three JRPGs this year. Illusion of Gaia, Final Fantasy VI, and Super Mario RPG are all really, really good runs and worth your time. I really love Mario RPG so if I had to pick one it'd be that. A great ending.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
20 runs in my backlog :pcgaming:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Two Worlds was also really good, but it part of the Elder Scrolls block.

How was the Final Fantasy Adventure Speedrun. It the only one I not watched that I had to miss due to sleep.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rirse posted:

How was the Final Fantasy Adventure Speedrun. It the only one I not watched that I had to miss due to sleep.

Solid. Which is how I'd rate 90% of the runs this year. Solid, enjoyable, but not necessarily something that you'd want to run down and watch. Which is really the kind of thing that GDQ should be shooting for since every run can't be amazing and there's hardly any unwatchable trainwrecks.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

That two worlds run was fantastic. Oh my god, what a god

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh man this Jak and Daxter run is killing me. how is it so funny?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

McDragon posted:

Oh man this Jak and Daxter run is killing me. how is it so funny?

It's probably my favorite of the week. It's extremely good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Two Worlds run taught me the importance of working together.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hagane and sky blazer look like legit good and fun games

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the guy who ran Skyrim was also the guy that did Dishonored, right? I liked him, he had a good handle on making jokes about what he was doing that were short and funny instead of coming out like "lolol this game be broke, look at this stupid broken game". Heinki did that too and then you toss in the ESL component that really made the Deus Ex run special :allears:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MooCowlian posted:

I bet these big blocks of classic games are the hooks for people that aren't really that into speed running to actually watch the stream at all. Like yeah, I've seen SMW run fifty thousand times, but not everyone has, and if it was a marathon of obscure-rear end speed games it would probably get less viewership. I don't think it's supposed to be pandering specifically to rich non-gamers that played a Mario when they were growing up, but more to the fact that there are a lot more Mario fans than speedrunning fans.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Just finished watching the Jak & Daxter run. All I can say is:

Waow

That lived up to the hype.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When that guy thanked his girlfriend and had the room applaud her for her two year anniversary of transitioning, she had a look on her face and seemed like she maybe didn't wanna be put on blast there. So maybe that will be drama.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

there is no god.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Dunban posted:

Just finished watching the Jak & Daxter run. All I can say is:

Waow

That lived up to the hype.

My favourite part was when the announcer was cracking up too hard to read donations

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

I saw Uyama irl a few minutes ago.

My top 3 live were:
(1) Super Metroid
(2) romscout
(3) bionic commando

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

you know I think that Yetee shirt may be the first time I buy a nerdy shirt that I will willingly wear in public (their planned Jak and Daxter one, I mean)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've never played Jak and Daxter so I have no idea what the hell is going on, but Daxter's Japanese VA sounds distractingly similar to Goku.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

raditts posted:

I've never played Jak and Daxter so I have no idea what the hell is going on, but Daxter's Japanese VA sounds distractingly similar to Goku.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teiy%C5%AB_Ichiry%C5%ABsai

It's the "shonen protagonist" voice tho, you're right.

dogmother1776 posted:

I saw Uyama irl a few minutes ago.

Bullshit, Uyama isn't real.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dias posted:

Bullshit, Uyama isn't real.

Uyama is real, he's strong and he's my friend.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aces High posted:

you know I think that Yetee shirt may be the first time I buy a nerdy shirt that I will willingly wear in public (their planned Jak and Daxter one, I mean)

I wish they would do more shirt designs as posters

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

IcePhoenix posted:

I wish they would do more shirt designs as posters

Yeah I would love to have that Final Fantasy VI opera shirt as a poster. Same with the Aria of Sorrow one.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Are the people recommending the jedi acadamy run doing so ironically? I'm like 10 minutes in and between this guy's motormouth, his verbal ticks (AUHMMM), and just how janky the game is it's pretty unwatchable.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wish I could find when the Jak stream started in this thread. I can only imagine how crazy the thread got :allears:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

Are the people recommending the jedi acadamy run doing so ironically? I'm like 10 minutes in and between this guy's motormouth, his verbal ticks (AUHMMM), and just how janky the game is it's pretty unwatchable.

Maybe you just hate fun.

Seriously though, I enjoyed it, he's so high energy and the game's so broken it's entertaining. AWESOME

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wish I could find when the Jak stream started in this thread. I can only imagine how crazy the thread got :allears:

Compare the time the stream started on the schedule page in the times in this thread. That's what I did with Momodora which I was unfortunately unable to see live.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

RyokoTK posted:

I bet these big blocks of classic games are the hooks for people that aren't really that into speed running to actually watch the stream at all. Like yeah, I've seen SMW run fifty thousand times, but not everyone has, and if it was a marathon of obscure-rear end speed games it would probably get less viewership. I don't think it's supposed to be pandering specifically to rich non-gamers that played a Mario when they were growing up, but more to the fact that there are a lot more Mario fans than speedrunning fans.

This was true for me. The thing that hooked me in a couple years ago was the Super Metroid run. Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time. And I've been enthralled with these events ever since.

I think a big chunk of the draw of a GDQ is the nostalgia factor.

Also, amazing event. GDQ has done a great job of finding people who are really enthusiastic about their game and good at explaining them to the audience. And I didn't hear one story about someone threatening to kill everyone at the event as a super hilarious joke. So good on that.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781941&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=163

my favorite part is all the dumbasses who were like 'lol this sucks' and left at the start.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

elentar posted:

This is what's staring back at him

This still cracks me up.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

greatn posted:

When that guy thanked his girlfriend and had the room applaud her for her two year anniversary of transitioning, she had a look on her face and seemed like she maybe didn't wanna be put on blast there. So maybe that will be drama.

I initially thought so too, but she had the exact same demeanor the entire time, so I think she was just a bit nervous in general.

Speaking of, are there just more trans people in the nerd community in general or is it confirmation bias?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Schurik posted:

I initially thought so too, but she had the exact same demeanor the entire time, so I think she was just a bit nervous in general.

Speaking of, are there just more trans people in the nerd community in general or is it confirmation bias?

hmmmmmm ostracized people looking for escape in video game probs just a coincidence

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

hmmmmmm ostracized people looking for escape in video game probs just a coincidence

Yes, because the video game community is so non-cis and accepting of different people. See twitch chat.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i didnt say they were accepting i said people get really into video games because they dont fit in for any number of reasons

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Schurik posted:

A bit of both I think. It's something I've noticed in a different context, where one of my first friends in college was... assume I found a word for "non-standard" that doesn't sound like a put down, because I certainly don't mean it as one. As a result of that, I've met a lot of people through their social groups (which weren't all queer, met a lot of Intel folk as well for example), and so have run into a lot more LGBTWXYZeverythingyoucanthinkof than I would have through randomly sampling this city, even though it IS Portland and we have a reputation.

It's also somewhere where people can feel more comfortable being themselves (for some areas, other parts of the internet are absolutely vile). Of the three trans people I know, two of them I wouldn't even notice if I didn't know them, and there are probably a number of strangers I see on the bus or Starbucks who are the same.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Also, the vast majority of speedrunners have kinda made it a point from the start to be as inclusive as possible. It's a really niche community as it is, so nobody wants to scare away potential runners because everyone is always looking for more people to compete and cooperate with in their chosen game(s). Most of twitch chat in a GDQ event doesn't even watch seedruns much outside of the event let alone run themselves or participate in the community, so that is not necessarily a good barometer for that sort of thing.

More importantly, most people in the speedrunning community just seem like good, kind people in general.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiblah
Jul 22, 2007

greatn posted:

He tweeted that he asked in advance or something and she OK'd it

ArbitraryC posted:

:frogout:

• Locked thread