Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GB_Sign posted:

I have seen a few people here say that Nocturnal Sect is now not worth using, but I don't see that sentiment reflected on any other site/forum. I am not familiar with AST, what did they do to break that stance? Are the shields it creates not as powerful as the heals/regens in Diurnal?

The shields not only aren't as good as the regens, they're weaker than SCH shields but instead of being ignored like a weaker shield does with SCH they overwrite them. Imagine a scholar just crit adlo and used Deployment Tactics to give your 8-man group a shield... and then the dumbass AST overwrites it with Aspected Helios. The first time that happened to me in Alexander I screamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

GB_Sign posted:

I have seen a few people here say that Nocturnal Sect is now not worth using, but I don't see that sentiment reflected on any other site/forum. I am not familiar with AST, what did they do to break that stance? Are the shields it creates not as powerful as the heals/regens in Diurnal?

Everything about Nocturnal is complete garbage and the only reason it exists is so if you have two asts in an 8 man one of them isn't constantly overwriting the others HoT.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Digital_Jesus posted:

Everything about Nocturnal is complete garbage and the only reason it exists is so if you have two asts in an 8 man one of them isn't constantly overwriting the others HoT.

This. Noct is bad, only use when doubled with another AST in an 8man, and hopefully make THAT guy do it instead.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
At least you can get some good mileage out of Noct stance in PvP, but yeah, it'd be vastly improved by just letting the drat thing stack with SCH shields. That would actually make SCH/AST a really compelling combo for double-shielding.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

SL the Pyro posted:

Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I cleared Nidhogg EX and A5S tonight.

The bad news is that it wasn't with my static, which has been stuck on both for a month now at the literal ends of the fights while I myself know them like the back of my hand at this point. And no, they don't reach the ends of the fights consistently. and also that I only did them because I was procrastinating on my relic esogrind but that's less important

...I'm conflicted. It shouldn't take more than a few hours to learn a fight (nevermind a few weeks) and am getting rather sick of doing the same song and dance over and over without making any progress because the other guys keep repeating the same mistakes. But at the same time, I appreciate having a raid static and don't want to be an rear end by leaving the static just because they're baddies, which is going to end up broadcasted to them like a giant red siren when I inevitably put up a Party Finder looking for a new static. I'm a firm believer in helping new players learn content because I know some of the other players on the game are toxic speedrunning twits who give no shits about new guys, but my patience only extends so far.

tl;dr: I want to find a new static because my old static is slow and bad, but I don't want to come off as a Big Stupid Elitist rear end in a top hat to the old static. What do?

There're some fights that're going to take multiple weeks to learn, unless you're in a top end static.

If your static isn't discussing the reasons why wipes happen, that's a huge issue. People that're screwing up a mechanic often don't understand why or even if they're messing up. When everyone else sees someone messing up and no one talking to them, they get resentful and care less about their own performance. Find a balance between not being an rear end and, if someone messes up, informing them, figuring out what went wrong, and discussing how to fix it.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

SL the Pyro posted:

Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I cleared Nidhogg EX and A5S tonight.

The bad news is that it wasn't with my static, which has been stuck on both for a month now at the literal ends of the fights while I myself know them like the back of my hand at this point. And no, they don't reach the ends of the fights consistently. and also that I only did them because I was procrastinating on my relic esogrind but that's less important

...I'm conflicted. It shouldn't take more than a few hours to learn a fight (nevermind a few weeks) and am getting rather sick of doing the same song and dance over and over without making any progress because the other guys keep repeating the same mistakes. But at the same time, I appreciate having a raid static and don't want to be an rear end by leaving the static just because they're baddies, which is going to end up broadcasted to them like a giant red siren when I inevitably put up a Party Finder looking for a new static. I'm a firm believer in helping new players learn content because I know some of the other players on the game are toxic speedrunning twits who give no shits about new guys, but my patience only extends so far.

tl;dr: I want to find a new static because my old static is slow and bad, but I don't want to come off as a Big Stupid Elitist rear end in a top hat to the old static. What do?

If you are really invested in the static then, as other people have said, what's necessary is to put in more effort with communication, figuring out where things are going wrong and why after each wipe, without getting into negativity or vitriol (as much as possible anyway). That's 100% necessary for proper raid progression.

However, frankly, if you're invested in raiding then you may want to be looking elsewhere at this point. If you've been stuck on A5S for a month, and far more critically can't consistently get your group to the phase you're currently stuck on, that's a bad sign. It's not outside the realm of possibility that you can turn it around with enough effort and communication but my gut reaction is that such a group will burn out and fracture on A6S or A7S which are both far more complicated to execute. Some groups just don't mesh.

Remember that a static is not a marriage and you are not obligated to stay in one if you're not having fun. Be honest and up front about it, let them know that you're not happy with the situation, then bow out.

Also yeah just as a minor thing an average timeframe for a full raid clear for a group not pushing progression every evening is usually around 2 months. Extremes you might be able to figure out in a few hours, but executing raid fights will almost always take much longer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Featuring the rare Scholar so honest he didn't even put down a shadow flare during trash pulls.

Uh, shadow flare overwrites sacred soil, IDIOT.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Leal posted:

Make Dancer an evasion tank. This cannot go wrong at all.

Someone who's played WoW since Pandaria (I quit in Cata) should chime in about Brewmaster monk tanks because that whole Stagger mechanic seems pretty neat. Big single hits get turned into brief damage-over-time effects for equal damage overall, and various abilities interact with that debuff. A long cooldown clears it entirely, self-heals proportional to the size of the DoT, I dunno, there are possibilities. thanks for reading my insightful post

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So like, there used to be multiple Warriors of Light, but now we are The Warrior of Light ever since the moon crashed, right?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Supposedly the warriors of light were the characters you see in the Answers video. Supposedly.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
Well this kind of sucks. My game crashed on me while turning in a Vanu beast tribe quest. Now every time I try to log into my character, the game crashes as it attempts to load the zone. Outside of reinstalling the game, anyone have any suggestions for what I can do?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Digital_Jesus posted:

HoTs don't overwrite.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Iron Tusk posted:

HoTs don't overwrite.

This is a glorious part of why book clubs work so well. Besides the glory that is 8 embraces firing off every 3 seconds is the up to 6 whispering dawns up at any given time. 6 eos and 2 selene for max spell speed uptime and you are essentially invulnerable. I know you can 24 man book club LotA and Syrcus Tower. I'd bet you could probably do WoD as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if a 24 scholar group could beat Void Ark.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Iron Tusk posted:

HoTs don't overwrite.
Diurnal Sect Astrologian HoTs do. White Mage/Eos ones do not. No one knows why.

Thern posted:

Well this kind of sucks. My game crashed on me while turning in a Vanu beast tribe quest. Now every time I try to log into my character, the game crashes as it attempts to load the zone. Outside of reinstalling the game, anyone have any suggestions for what I can do?
You could try creating another character and contacting customer support saying you can't log in to that character.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is a glorious part of why book clubs work so well. Besides the glory that is 8 embraces firing off every 3 seconds is the up to 6 whispering dawns up at any given time. 6 eos and 2 selene for max spell speed uptime and you are essentially invulnerable. I know you can 24 man book club LotA and Syrcus Tower. I'd bet you could probably do WoD as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if a 24 scholar group could beat Void Ark.

There's a reason Nym only fell once a curse turned all their scholars into Tonberries.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Smart Car posted:

Diurnal Sect Astrologian HoTs do. White Mage/Eos ones do not. No one knows why.

They do because you're specifically never supposed to have a combo of two Diurnal Sect Astros. Scholar and WHM don't have the option to switch stances like that, so you can't penalize them by having their HoTs overwrite. Astros, otoh, have their two sects. If you get dual astro, they should never be in the same sect.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

There's a reason Nym only fell once a curse turned all their scholars into Tonberries.

And yet Selene didn't learn a cleanse until last year.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

You mean valid, right? Because you can kick people for literally any reason.

Yes, I word bad. That's what I meant to say.
I was referencing a recent post on reddit where a GM said outright that "differences in playstyle" is a valid reason to votekick somebody.

Zero The Hero posted:

I suppose it had no more depth than physical type resistances did, or any of the other interesting gameplay mechanics. But what it did was force the player to learn each mob family so they knew how to exploit them, and it gave the enemies some real differences beyond just the shape of their dodgeable aoe attack.

I'll admit that the differences between enemies was generally more profound in 11, but I don't think it was necessarily a positive thing in the end. It mostly resulted in people avoiding certain monsters like the plague because their TP attacks were too dangerous or because they weren't squishy enough, and also resulted in things like burn parties and the chiblast meta for monks at endgame fights, which was incredibly stupid. With resistances specifically, I think summoner was probably the job that actually cared the most since they had so many attacks at their disposal. But like most things, summoners were a terribly designed turd pile in 11.

11 can basically be summed up as a collection of things that might seem more interesting on paper than 14, but were actually all quite bad. If it was a single player, multiple-character game and combat and leveling were considerably sped up it would actually be great, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
good news! if I remember right they're making a single player ffxi. The downside is it's a mobile game apparently.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

good news! if I remember right they're making a single player ffxi. The downside is it's a mobile game apparently.

The good news would be that Shantotto got tired of everyone's poo poo and nuked the planet.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Iron Tusk posted:

HoTs don't overwrite.

Unless you're an AST.

efb*

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

I'm tempted to come back to FFXIV, but I've since lost my security token and the removal password... thing. In the event I can't convince customer service to remove it, how arduous is the levelling up process these days? I hit max pre-Heavensward on WHM, and had Thrysus Zenith, for reference as to what I'd be losing with a new account. How much time would it be to get back to that level and past it?

erazure fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 10, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

erazure posted:

I'm tempted to come back to FFXIV, but I've since lost my security token and the removal password... thing. In the event I can't convince customer service to remove it, how arduous is the levelling up process these days? I hit max pre-Heavensward on WHM and SCH/SMN, and had Thrysus Atma, for reference as to what I'd be losing with a new account. How much time would it be to get back to that level and past it?
When I came back to the game a couple years ago I just told customer service what was up and they fixed it pretty easily.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

When I came back to the game a couple years ago I just told customer service what was up and they fixed it pretty easily.

Do you recall what information you needed to give them to get it fixed? I literally only recall the e-mail I registered with, at this point.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

erazure posted:

Do you recall what information you needed to give them to get it fixed? I literally only recall the e-mail I registered with, at this point.

You'll have to call them and they will want anything you can confirm. Email, last remembered password, date of birth likely.

The process isn't too bad

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

erazure posted:

I had to do this and all they asked for is email and DOB - I'd created my SE account for non-FFXIV reasons, but I now actually have a computer that can run it.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
My two cents for the "new 4.0 class" discussion: I totally agree that FFV is a goldmine of untapped potential jobs for XIV to dip into, I'd love a Mystic Knight or Blue Mage. I would also suggest Grenadier, but that's kinda taken by MCH...

Thanks for the feedback guys. I probably should've explained more about the static.

My static is mostly new to Midas, with only one or two people having had previous clears - which I would later learn were sorta flukes, as my clear group's strategies were different and a lot more optimized than my static's. It's a mostly chill group of fun-loving people, which is why I like them and want to give them a shot, and we raid three hours each on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The main problem with the group is, as a couple of you suggested, probably the communication. Our first days for both Nidhogg EX and A5S were simply an experienced player explaining the fights, several players bashing their heads against the mechanics until they got them right, then moving on to the next wall of mechanics; I know this is the preferred behaviour for a raid static, but the issue comes from people constantly wiping on mechanics they've already done ten times in a row. The static does discuss what has been going wrong after multiple wipes on different phases, but this is where being a "chill" group comes back to bite us: either the instructions die out after the 10th or so wipe because no one wants to get angry by pointing it out for the 100th time, or the instructions get drowned out by the constant joking around so the constant wipes don't get us down (which, as you can probably tell from my stance on the static, only works for so long). Moreover, I mentioned my clear group's tactics being superior and easier to my static's; the static simply won't use them because they were taught their way was better and want to clear it the only way they know how.

Example: Ratfinx Twinkledinks in A5S does a charge attack at a random DPS, followed up by a 180 degree AOE aimed at a random healer that will kill everyone it hits. My static's healers insist on staying with the party while the charge target runs off to a corner, resulting in Ratfinx turning around and firing his AOE across the whole map, forcing us all to run behind him in a mad rush. The clear group had the healers sit behind the charge target, baiting the AOE into the corner instead so they only had to move a few steps and saved the rest of the party the headache. This tactic was suggested to the static before I'd seen the clear group, but no one wanted to try it because they were too worried about the MT dying to Ratfinx, which did happen a few times somehow (bare in mind the MT is a PLD with better gear than me!). Basically they're too scared to step out of their comfort zone.

What's grinding my gears with the static is that at least three or four people - which now includes me - were able to learn NidEX and A5S and clear it with little trouble in a separate clear group, a couple of which happened after we learned the mechanics as a static. The problem is that we can't seem to clear it as a static for various reasons, and that makes me echo the concern that Meiteron posted about everything falling apart like a Jenga tower as soon as we (eventually) hit A6S - for reference, we'd hit the last phase of both NidEX and A5S on our second week, but then kept wiping to earlier mechanics and have been for the following three weeks. We can beat the DPS checks for both NidEX (Nidhogg's Fang) and A5S (Hummelfaust) without Limit Breaks, so we definitely have the damage to clear poo poo, but the coordination just doesn't seem to be there.

Don't get me wrong, I like my static because they are cool and funny and chill and we have learned a lot about the early bits of the raid tier, but at the same time a static is formed for the explicit purpose of clearing things after they learn them, and that just hasn't been happening.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 10, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Mid-raid Fatigue is real and one of the more common problems I've run into even doing casual stuff like story Nidhogg. Sometimes moral drops enough that focus gets lost, people make more and more mistakes and you'll find yourself wondering why you can't get past hummelfaust anymore.
Every strategy has pros and cons and they all have different gear/responsibility requirements in mind. Being willing to try different strategies and shift gears is an important thing.

Cool and chill groups are cool and chill but are only really successful either if you're running content that doesn't require you to be balls-to-the-wall, or you've got a hardcore spine underneath so that people can keep focusing the 10th attempt despite everything.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Suitaru posted:

Someone who's played WoW since Pandaria (I quit in Cata) should chime in about Brewmaster monk tanks because that whole Stagger mechanic seems pretty neat. Big single hits get turned into brief damage-over-time effects for equal damage overall, and various abilities interact with that debuff. A long cooldown clears it entirely, self-heals proportional to the size of the DoT, I dunno, there are possibilities. thanks for reading my insightful post

Brewmasters stagger a percentage of melee damage they take, which turns into a debuff dealing that same amount of damage over time. Purifying Brew gets rid of the debuff. Purifying Brew actually has no cooldown and just costs resources. They also have a bunch of other poo poo that basically makes a well-played Brewmaster functionally invincible.

That changes in Legion, though, as their mastery got changed to a stacking Dodge buff. Purifying Brew is free but only clears 50% of Stagger and shares charges with an ability that briefly increases Stagger percentage (by a lot).

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

SL the Pyro posted:

I'm kind of in a similar situation, except my group has been stuck on A6S for ages. Not only that, our (subpar) MT emo quit, and I had to take on the role to get the static moving again. We finally beat Nidex with me tanking. I had beaten it previously in a party finder group as a WHM, and healing is actually the role I like playing best. Reading your next post really makes your static remind me of my own. There are a few great players, a few that screw up the mechanics over and over again, and a few that really don't like the idea of changing tactics. Even convincing them to let me MT because they couldn't find someone for three weeks straight was like pulling teeth.

I'm really only bringing this up because I find, when you ask friends and forums for advice, they often advise you to do various things to help the group out more. And that's definitely an option, but it's sort of one I'm pursuing right now, and it's slowly leaving me feeling more and more bitter. I feel like I'm challenging myself to a race to the bottom and once I get there I can go, "well I did everything I could, so it's okay if I leave now, right?" But where is the bottom, anyway? I can't say it's making me feel good about playing the game. Hopefully, it won't go the same way for you if it's an avenue you pursue.

I always figure, though, if I were going to leave the static, it would only be decent to tell the static before advertising myself on party finder. There's more risk involved, but it always felt like the right thing to do. Unfortunately, from my experience with raiding in WoW back in vanilla/BC/wrath, I don't think switching teams ever seems to go well. Part of me thinks the whole mess is what's going to make me quit the game in the end. It's really too bad.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

ruta posted:

I'm kind of in a similar situation, except my group has been stuck on A6S for ages. Not only that, our (subpar) MT emo quit, and I had to take on the role to get the static moving again. We finally beat Nidex with me tanking. I had beaten it previously in a party finder group as a WHM, and healing is actually the role I like playing best. Reading your next post really makes your static remind me of my own. There are a few great players, a few that screw up the mechanics over and over again, and a few that really don't like the idea of changing tactics. Even convincing them to let me MT because they couldn't find someone for three weeks straight was like pulling teeth.

I'm really only bringing this up because I find, when you ask friends and forums for advice, they often advise you to do various things to help the group out more. And that's definitely an option, but it's sort of one I'm pursuing right now, and it's slowly leaving me feeling more and more bitter. I feel like I'm challenging myself to a race to the bottom and once I get there I can go, "well I did everything I could, so it's okay if I leave now, right?" But where is the bottom, anyway? I can't say it's making me feel good about playing the game. Hopefully, it won't go the same way for you if it's an avenue you pursue.

I always figure, though, if I were going to leave the static, it would only be decent to tell the static before advertising myself on party finder. There's more risk involved, but it always felt like the right thing to do. Unfortunately, from my experience with raiding in WoW back in vanilla/BC/wrath, I don't think switching teams ever seems to go well. Part of me thinks the whole mess is what's going to make me quit the game in the end. It's really too bad.

E: quoted the wrong post.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 10, 2016

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

ruta posted:

Well, it cheers me up a little to know I'm not the only one.

I think I'll give my static another week. I feel like an A5S clear or a NidEX clear is within our reach with a little more cooperation, but if history repeats itself or A6S kicks our poo poo in as badly as I think it will, I'll ride off to greener pastures.

If all else fails, I suppose the Raid Finder is a thing.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
That is oversimplification at it's finest, and is simply something I cannot stand behind. If it's called something in game, I see no reason to make up our own term or associate previously common terms, that's illogical and lacks reasoning. It may simply be a matter of preference, but I still find it strange that "mechanical similarities" are accepted as justification for being descriptively and factually wrong.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've just got Time Dilation and Collective Unconscious. Am I right in thinking I can Synastry the tank, use (in the best case) enhanced Bole, Aspected Benefic, maybe Aspected Helios, tick the Collective Unconscious HoT, and Time Dilation all that into not giving a single gently caress about said tank for 30+ seconds?

Does the extended duration of the HoTs keep the +healing potency from Synastry after that falls off?

While I'm here talking AST, how do you handle cards in 8 mans? For trial roulette and MSQ up to now I've just waited until I can get an AoE balance or arrow, and clicking off cards as needed to not waste an AoE RR.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SL the Pyro posted:

Example: Ratfinx Twinkledinks in A5S does a charge attack at a random DPS, followed up by a 180 degree AOE aimed at a random healer that will kill everyone it hits. My static's healers insist on staying with the party while the charge target runs off to a corner, resulting in Ratfinx turning around and firing his AOE across the whole map, forcing us all to run behind him in a mad rush. The clear group had the healers sit behind the charge target, baiting the AOE into the corner instead so they only had to move a few steps and saved the rest of the party the headache. This tactic was suggested to the static before I'd seen the clear group, but no one wanted to try it because they were too worried about the MT dying to Ratfinx, which did happen a few times somehow (bare in mind the MT is a PLD with better gear than me!). Basically they're too scared to step out of their comfort zone.

If it makes you feel any better, my static doesn't bait the gobhook either, and we do fine.

But yeah, it does sound like you guys are too laid back to be doing what you want to be doing. Being laid back is fine and great, but you also have to realize that if you want to clear things, you have to get serious every now and then. Not all the time, of course, because that's not fun either. With my static, on most pulls we're just bullshitting with each other, but we also know when we need to focus if we want to make progress.

My advice as before is to be open and talk with your static about it. Maybe there are other people who feel the same way. When my static first started, we were really awful. We couldn't even make it past the briar patches on T6. A lot of it was because we were still getting to know each other, but we also had two members who were really bad. Like they weren't even using their ogcd abilities. We talked about it, and we told them that they needed to git gud if they wanted to stay with us. One of them took the effort to git gud, and he's still with us today. The other one basically did the whole "lol its just a game guys, i dont take this seriously" and we got someone better.

But the bottom line is that it's a video game, and you should be having fun. If you're not having fun, then you need to fix that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I've just got Time Dilation and Collective Unconscious. Am I right in thinking I can Synastry the tank, use (in the best case) enhanced Bole, Aspected Benefic, maybe Aspected Helios, tick the Collective Unconscious HoT, and Time Dilation all that into not giving a single gently caress about said tank for 30+ seconds?

Does the extended duration of the HoTs keep the +healing potency from Synastry after that falls off?

While I'm here talking AST, how do you handle cards in 8 mans? For trial roulette and MSQ up to now I've just waited until I can get an AoE balance or arrow, and clicking off cards as needed to not waste an AoE RR.

Yes to everything, although I would say that the enhanced bole is overkill if you have other options.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Verranicus posted:

You're looking back through rose colored glasses, friend, and this is coming from someone who genuinely enjoyed FF11.

I still play 11, and this is one of my biggest complaints with 14. It's not the specific mechanics I miss necessarily, it's the character the enemy mobs had. You actually cared what you were fighting. You had relative advantages and disadvantages and they mattered. In some ways, it felt like a roguelike, where you had a general idea what to expect from a mob based on previous mobs you fought in the same family, and the knowledge you amassed over the course of the game continued to stay relevant. In FF14, it just doesn't make a difference. Morbols are no more scary than Mandragora. I don't care about elemental weakness specifically, I just want enemy mobs to be more than trash obstacles between bosses.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes to everything, although I would say that the enhanced bole is overkill if you have other options.

Yeah I was listing off the ideal, in leveling 4 mans so far I always royal road Bole for the next Balance or Arrow I get.

Except maybe for Ser Charizard, gently caress healing that guy :ohdear:

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

SL the Pyro posted:

That's actually how my group does it. Drag boss into corner, person targeted with the charge attack goes to another corner, we have all the time in the world to get behind it before hook comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zero The Hero posted:

I still play 11, and this is one of my biggest complaints with 14. It's not the specific mechanics I miss necessarily, it's the character the enemy mobs had. You actually cared what you were fighting. You had relative advantages and disadvantages and they mattered. In some ways, it felt like a roguelike, where you had a general idea what to expect from a mob based on previous mobs you fought in the same family, and the knowledge you amassed over the course of the game continued to stay relevant. In FF14, it just doesn't make a difference. Morbols are no more scary than Mandragora. I don't care about elemental weakness specifically, I just want enemy mobs to be more than trash obstacles between bosses.

The same FF11 where most people just make parties of BLM & SCH to self-Skillchain/Magic Burst and ignore the melee classes because TP feeding the enemy is still a loving thing in 2016. Right.

• Locked thread