Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The biggest thing is the Ripley's daughter scene. Best scene added and the only one that should've stayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

THE BAR posted:

I forget, what do you gain from the director's cut of Aliens? I never cared for the remade beginning; it takes out the suspense of the entire movie. What's changed besides the family picnic and Burke scenes?

Edit:

Ah, yes, the turret sequence, that was awesome!

There's also a brief scene just before Bishop drops Ripley off to find Newt where Ripley and Hicks tell each other their first names.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like the company scenes showing them discovering the aliens because of what ripley tells them during the meetings. Like hey we woke this lady up says she found aliens on this planet, lets explore that option while not explaining to everyone that they just want to face rape humans.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Clipperton posted:

I'll buy that that was the intention, but if so they didn't do a very good job of it.

Every time this comes up, people chime in with real-life examples of scientists doing stuff way dumber than a mapmaker getting lost, and I completely buy that. But when that stuff happens, it doesn't make you nod your head solemnly and say 'O the hubris of man! In our foolish endeavour to comprehend an incomprehensible universe, truly we are like unto toddlers exploring the cutlery drawer."

It just makes you go "pffffft what a fuckin tool, Darwin awards lol". Same with Prometheus. The 'hubris' theme just doesn't come through.

Most people seem to have issues identifying hubris in the protagonists, not just in Prometheus but in general.

Perhaps because they're used to protagonists winning, and obviously if you win with hubris it doesn't really count.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

computer parts posted:

Most people seem to have issues identifying hubris in the protagonists, not just in Prometheus but in general.

Perhaps because they're used to protagonists winning, and obviously if you win with hubris it doesn't really count.

No, scientists going to other planets to look for alien life giving up 10 minutes into to the first trip and lose the map that is made by drones to be unable to return to the ship and get killed by a worm penis snake and somehow finding the ship as a zombie without the map, is not an excuse for "protagonist" not "winning".

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Tenzarin posted:

No, scientists going to other planets to look for alien life giving up 10 minutes into to the first trip and lose the map that is made by drones to be unable to return to the ship and get killed by a worm penis snake and somehow finding the ship as a zombie without the map, is not an excuse for "protagonist" not "winning".

Then the two people in charge go off to gently caress each other instead of staying in contact with the scientists (who smoke some weed).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Hodgepodge posted:

Then the two people in charge go off to gently caress each other instead of staying in contact with the scientists (who smoke some weed).
But you've clearly missed the point, they're supposed to be gently caress-ups! Hoh hoh hoh hoh hnoooghhhhh! [quaffs brandy]

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
I don't believe Alien 3 could ever be salvaged regardless of the editing, judging by my last viewing about a year ago.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

I think "most people" can identify hubris just fine--anyone could tell you why Dr Frankenstein had it coming.

The trouble is this isn't hubris, this is Abbott and Costello Meet The Xenomorph

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

As if you wouldn't abandon a pair of dipshits, who you can't actually do anything for anyways, to gently caress at least one of Charlize Theron and Idris Elba.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't think I saw much hubris in Prometheus. Idiocy, laziness, lack of skill, desperation, but not so much Hubris. Maybe on the side of the engineers, but not on the human side. Old dude was desperate for more life, boss lady just didn't give a poo poo about the whole mission and was going through the motions, and most everyone else was just bottom of the barrel in their field idiots.

And I don't know if the engineers hosed them selves out of hubris or just really really lovely OSHA standards at their base. That could have been just as likely from cost-cutting and laziness than hubris. I almost saw the whole thing as a sort of "history repeats its self" sort of thing. The engineers manning that base were maybe a similar bottom of the barrel team sent to do a stupid mission no one cared about.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ObamaPhone posted:

I don't believe Alien 3 could ever be salvaged regardless of the editing, judging by my last viewing about a year ago.

I beg to differ. In fact I think you should give the Assembly Cut a watch and report back (even if you report that it still sucked out loud, that's totally fine!).

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 10, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xenomrph posted:

I beg to differ. In fact u think you should give the Assembly Cut a watch and report back (even if you report that it still sucked out loud, that's totally fine!).

I'd go so far as to make the claim that Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was loving awesome.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

It puts a different spin on why the Engineer reacts to violently when woken up - it's less of "I HATE MY CREATIONS" and more of "wtf I literally just woke up after going into hibernation after all my friends were killed by black goo, and the first thing I wake up to are a bunch of assholes asking me to save them?"

Forgive the late reply, im behind in the thread.

In the original version of the Prometheus script the engineer is angry as the human have pulled him out of the freezer and he is infested, he would eventually become the dead space jockey seen in Alien.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

504 posted:

Forgive the late reply, im behind in the thread.

In the original version of the Prometheus script the engineer is angry as the human have pulled him out of the freezer and he is infested, he would eventually become the dead space jockey seen in Alien.

That sounds so much better. Everything in the old script that was removed would of turned the movie into a classic.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I agree completely.

The original fills in all the stupid plotholes left in the movie, although it is a MUCH more obvious prequel, and they were very very keen to avoid that.

For some reason.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
:sigh: Time for this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYl2lpq1YI

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
How can one watch this "Assembly Cut" pray tell.

e: also I agree that the Ripley's daughter scene is easily the most important of those added in the director's cut, and that it really helps the film's core themes. The others are kind of a wash for me, personally -- as a 12-year old (when I first saw Aliens) I would have unequivocally loved them but that version of me was mostly interested in sci-fi for the fictional spaceship taxonomy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Apollodorus posted:

How can one watch this "Assembly Cut" pray tell.

e: also I agree that the Ripley's daughter scene is easily the most important of those added in the director's cut, and that it really helps the film's core themes. The others are kind of a wash for me, personally -- as a 12-year old (when I first saw Aliens) I would have unequivocally loved them but that version of me was mostly interested in sci-fi for the fictional spaceship taxonomy.

The assembly cut is available on the Alien3 bluray (or as part of the Alien Anthology bluray set) or as part of the 2004 DVD release.

I'd recommend the bluray, as it fixes the ADR and some of the effects from the DVD release.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The turret scene in the director's cut of Aliens is probably the only bad scene, because it reduces tension. Everything else improves the movie.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I completely disagree - when I last watched it I felt all of the Hadley's Hope scenes before the arrival of the marines completely neutered the tension built at the beginning of the film.

Re Alien 3 assembly cut, I enjoyed it but I think it helps to be aware that it was butchered in production and reassembled years later. Way way better than the theatrical cut though.

And it didn't really surprise me that all the scientists in Prometheus were short sighted idiots - our point of view character for much of the film is a hyper competent android who isn't burdened with emotions. Of course all the humans are irrational and dumb.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The directors cut of Aliens is loving awful.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The android has emotions, the humans of Prometheus are just too hedonistic and estranged from their own humanity to realize it.

I don't think Prometheus is amazing or anything but it's a straightforward story that didn't deserve the worst thread in CD history.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The turret scene in the director's cut of Aliens is probably the only bad scene, because it reduces tension.

How so?

cargohills posted:

Tell us how you really feel.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The android has emotions, the humans of Prometheus are just too hedonistic and estranged from their own humanity to realize it.

This is a really good point, I guess I should have said he's not ruled by his emotions in the same way.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I don't think Prometheus is amazing or anything but it's a straightforward story that didn't deserve the worst thread in CD history.

It's a drat valid reason it already got the worst thread.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Tell us how you really feel.

It's really bad. I've not watched the theatrical cut of Alien 3, but the director's cut of Aliens is my least favourite cut of an Alien film I've seen that wasn't for AVP2. Nothing in the directors cut adds anything to the movie at all.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Cargohills is right; pretty much every addition to the 'Special Edition' detracts from the film.

Giving Ripley a personal reason to save Newt makes her actions in the film less heroic. That is, she is no longer helping Newt simply because it's the right thing to do, but because she wants to replace her dead daughter. It's unavoidably linked to the colony scene that shows us effectively, what Ripley imagines having happened to Newt's family - the family that will be replaced at the end of the film.

The auto-gun stuff is the most successful, turning the imagery of numbers counting down to zero into a full-fledged motif, but it almost belongs in another film.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

cargohills posted:

It's really bad. I've not watched the theatrical cut of Alien 3, but the director's cut of Aliens is my least favourite cut of an Alien film I've seen that wasn't for AVP2. Nothing in the directors cut adds anything to the movie at all.

Wait are you saying that the added scenes are bad, or that the addition of the scenes actually ruin the movie and make the whole experience bad? Because those are two very different things.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

cargohills posted:

I agree that it murders the pacing, but I mean... it's still Aliens? Like even a version of that where everyone was Tommy Wiseau would still be watchable.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Cargohills is right; pretty much every addition to the 'Special Edition' detracts from the film.

Giving Ripley a personal reason to save Newt makes her actions in the film less heroic. That is, she is no longer helping Newt simply because it's the right thing to do, but because she wants to replace her dead daughter. It's unavoidably linked to the colony scene that shows us effectively, what Ripley imagines having happened to Newt's family - the family that will be replaced at the end of the film.

The auto-gun stuff is the most successful, turning the imagery of numbers counting down to zero into a full-fledged motif, but it almost belongs in another film.

I actually pretty much completely agree with you. I will say, though, that I don't think giving Ripley an additional reason to save Newt really negates the one the theatrical cut provides. I kind of like the idea that she does it because, on a conscious level, she wants to do the right thing, but on a subconscious level she's still grieving over her daughter and needs a surrogate one; the tension that creates within her character is interesting to me.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Cargohills is right

this is all I've ever wanted to hear

thank you

Xenomrph posted:

Wait are you saying that the added scenes are bad, or that the addition of the scenes actually ruin the movie and make the whole experience bad? Because those are two very different things.

Most of the added scenes are pretty poor and they detract from the whole experience. SMG pretty much explained it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
i would rather watch a work print of any cut of aliens over alien:resurrection

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Full Battle Rattle posted:

i would rather watch a work print of any cut of aliens over alien:resurrection

Ressurection does have the single best shot of the franchise in it though.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

That turret gun scene is in the Directors Cut right? If so that instantly redeems it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The turret gun scene is just okay. It doesn't make up for all the poo poo.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

PriorMarcus posted:

Which is? (I haven't seen it in years)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

cargohills posted:

Most of the added scenes are pretty poor and they detract from the whole experience. SMG pretty much explained it.

Fair enough. Also your avatar is really hypnotic and I can't stop watching it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It's great. Some guy made a whole bunch of avatars in one thread and posted them for people to take which is where I got it. I don't remember where but I'm sure you could find it if you want a look.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

PriorMarcus posted:

Is it Sigourney's sick basketball shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Just to elaborate on what I was saying: the colony scene is, formally, a dream sequence. Ripley's told about the colonists, then we cut to the colony being attacked, then cut to Ripley staring into space after her latest nightmare.

It introduces an unfortunate Total Recall subtext. Remember how Quaid dreams of Melina long before he ever 'gets his rear end to Mars'? And so, surprise, he meets a woman there who perfectly fits the coordinates of his fantasy. And then, you have the Avatar, in which Jakesully travels into the 'dream world' and meets his dream girl. Newt is presented the same way.

This should be contrasted with Prometheus, where (as just two examples) the biologist fantasizes about big dicks and Shaw fantasizes about her dead father coming back - so he gets a snake to the face, and her boyfriend catches the space-Ebola.

And this was one of the few good points in Alien 4: Ripley's fantasy of 'getting her daughter back' ultimately produces the horrible Newborn.