Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
Well poo poo, I forgot about the field excitation for voltage regulation. I'm used to AC motors, not so much on the generation side. Learned something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DocCynical posted:

Well poo poo, I forgot about the field excitation for voltage regulation. I'm used to AC motors, not so much on the generation side. Learned something new.

Its cool, I also know the permanent magnet alternators exist, popular for homemade windmills.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Its cool, I also know the permanent magnet alternators exist, popular for homemade windmills.

And motorbikes.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I rebuild all my own alternators.

Where do you source your parts? I briefly explored this option for the 4A-GE but became frustrated trying to even pin down what model alternator I had. Was easier for me to just buy a replacement, even though I'm pretty sure a set of brushes would have cured me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

And motorbikes.

My old 350s take advantage of the extra weight of the magnets by using the rotor as the engine's flywheel :eng101:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Beach Bum posted:

Where do you source your parts? I briefly explored this option for the 4A-GE but became frustrated trying to even pin down what model alternator I had. Was easier for me to just buy a replacement, even though I'm pretty sure a set of brushes would have cured me.

Usually all you need is brushes, you can find them on Google pretty easily.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sagebrush posted:

My old 350s take advantage of the extra weight of the magnets by using the rotor as the engine's flywheel :eng101:

That's clever thinking, nothing unnecessary.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Usually all you need is brushes, you can find them on Google pretty easily.

Most parts stores carry them also, but the people behind the counter do not know how to look them up

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

HFX posted:

Most parts stores carry them also, but the people behind the counter do not know how to look them up

This is why you find and patronize the small auto electrical rebuild shop near you. I needed brushes for my generator, and was having all sorts of grief from the local parts houses. But I found a small local shop that just does starters alternators and generators, brought in the backing plate and said "Brushes for a Ford generator." The dude asked "early or late?" and a moment later and a couple bucks lighter I had the right (late) brushes. Specialty places are for sure the way to go.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Beach Bum posted:

I usually buy from https://www.aspwholesale.com. they have a make/model/year lookup tool that is *mostly* accurate.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Well, it won't back off? :v:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

This happened to me between Atlanta and Cleveland. I heard it pop off midway through Tennessee, (as the nut took the hub cap with it) but didn't realize what the pop noise meant until a day after I'd arrived. Brake calipers are a helluva thing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NoWake posted:

This happened to me between Atlanta and Cleveland. I heard it pop off midway through Tennessee, (as the nut took the hub cap with it) but didn't realize what the pop noise meant until a day after I'd arrived. Brake calipers are a helluva thing.

:aaaaa:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Also, that was done by a repair shop and not someone in their backyard.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HAHAHAHAHA man that's hosed up.
I would hate to be the next guy that has to deal with that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

HAHAHAHAHA man that's hosed up.
I would hate to be the next guy that has to deal with that.

Considering the amount of swearing at "the last guy" that goes on already in my shop, this would be clocked immediately as a prank. There'd be no way to claim it was anything but.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

NoWake posted:

Holy loving poo poo, you're lucky the wheel stayed on. Must be some hella strong caliper slide bolts/pegs.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
The wheel bolts would still have held the wheel and rotor to the bearing. That would have just let the CV end wander in and out of the splines. If the bearing had failed, the caliper would have seen a lot more unusual loading.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

On almost all unit bearings, the two bearing cones are just pressed onto the outside of the splined tube section of the hub, and without the axleshaft to preload the bearings and in fact hold them onto the hub, the inboard cone will usually shamble off the end of the hub and then the rotor/hub/wheel go walkabout. Very common on jeeps when someone doesn't understand the care and feeding of unit bearings and leaves the stub axleshaft out or the axle nut uninstalled for one reason or another (usually no axleshaft installed trying ot get home from the trail after breaking an axle.)

Here is how it ends:

And here's briansmobile1's take on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMyTWMnOO0s

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

:stare: Yeah, I knew that the CV axle acts as a essential part of keeping the bearing centered and taking load off of it, but drat that thing chewed up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like that one lonely bearing. He's all "where'd my friends go?" :smith:

Alabamarama
Aug 22, 2013

kastein posted:

Very common on jeeps when someone doesn't understand the care and feeding of unit bearings and leaves the stub axleshaft out or the axle nut uninstalled for one reason or another (usually no axleshaft installed trying ot get home from the trail after breaking an axle.)

I saw my friend's neighbor do this in high school. He took the front axle shafts on his TJ out for whatever reason and did not realize that the big nut was important. Came around a turn in front of my buddy's place pretty hot and the wheel just took off across a field. Wish I had pictures or video because it was just so excellent to see.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Alabamarama posted:

I saw my friend's neighbor do this in high school. He took the front axle shafts on his TJ out for whatever reason and did not realize that the big nut was important. Came around a turn in front of my buddy's place pretty hot and the wheel just took off across a field. Wish I had pictures or video because it was just so excellent to see.

There was a incident a few years back where a jeep guy broke an axle shaft while offroading. He pulled the whole shaft and tried to drive home. The unit bearing seperated at highway speeds causing the jeep to flip and kill him.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Original rotors tend to be held on with retaining screws, which always freeze up. Usually, you can whack the rotor with a sledgehammer and pop them right off, but the dust shield behind the rotors on a 2004 C240 make that an impossible angle without a lift. I tried to drill it out and ended up with one mechanical failure wrapped in another.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Did this today. My ears hurt, and we never found the 3rd piece.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

God drat, that's gonna take like 3 tubes of JB weld.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

...And an A-Treat bottle.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Crustashio posted:

Did this today. My ears hurt, and we never found the 3rd piece.

The gently caress did it start as?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iwentdoodie posted:

The gently caress did it start as?

I think the bender. :stare:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Obviously, but some of us don't know what it looked like.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
So we looked at my buddy's 2002 VW 1.8T Jetta wagon's timing belt:

:stonk: Couldn't get the harmonic balancer off because one of the bolts was stuck and another was rounded off in the center. He drove it home (10 miles) and is getting into a shop ASAP. The Jetta has 241k miles on it and that is very likely the original belt.

*Yes, this is the same as the one on /r/justrolledintotheshop

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

So we looked at my buddy's 2002 VW 1.8T Jetta wagon's timing belt:

:stonk: Couldn't get the harmonic balancer off because one of the bolts was stuck and another was rounded off in the center. He drove it home (10 miles) and is getting into a shop ASAP. The Jetta has 241k miles on it and that is very likely the original belt.

*Yes, this is the same as the one on /r/justrolledintotheshop

Triggered. :barf:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

DocCynical posted:

I just wanted to take a moment to say the unless you're in an explosion proof area that brushless exciters on large synchronous motors (>1000Hp and voltages >600v) are a tool of the devil.

Constant. Tension. Brush. Holders. Plus routine inspection and cleaning by qualified personnel. And making sure that the carbon brushes are cut in to give good surface contract with the slip rings.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 10, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Godholio posted:

Obviously, but some of us don't know what it looked like.

Ah, I had initially assumed it was a shattered pipe, so I thought others might be making that same mistake.

Some internet detectiving tells me it was probably one of these:

I'm guessing that little U bracket holds the short end of the pipe in place, while the long end is pulled around the big mandrel?

E: Crustachio the ebay listing I got that pic from is here if you guys need to get a new one. :v:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 10, 2016

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Yes, it's the saddle that holds the the tubing in place while it gets bent around the shoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZg0pJbjYbE

Ours was a manual pump bender but the tooling is exactly the same. Greenlee still exists as a company so I'm hoping we can just buy the piece based off the part #. We ended up using the saddle for the next size up and a half moon 1.75 x 0.125 wall DOM to fit the 1.5 OD DOM.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 11, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Ah, ok...that's why I couldn't figure it out. It's a piece.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

kastein posted:

I'm the legion of comments saying "This is just a bearing failure shaft had nothing to do with it. I took out the shaft from my [completely different vehicle] and drove it for thousands of miles with no problems."

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Three-Phase posted:

I just wanted to take a moment to say the unless you're in an explosion proof area that brushless exciters on large synchronous motors (>1000Hp and voltages >600v) are a tool of the devil.

Constant. Tension. Brush. Holders. Plus routine inspection and cleaning by qualified personnel. And making sure that the carbon brushes are cut in to give good surface contract with the slip rings.

Luckily I Just take care of motors small enough that you can throw them out when they fail, like the little 5HP 600V blower motor in a potable water plant that pulls 5, 5, and 4.8A for some reason.

Previous blower motor shaft, mechanical failure on its own. Something got a little toasty.
Image linking not working for some reason

DocCynical fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm the legion of comments saying "This is just a bearing failure shaft had nothing to do with it. I took out the shaft from my [completely different vehicle] and drove it for thousands of miles with no problems."

How about a traditional taper bearing that, instead of being pre-loaded by the locknut, is instead pre-loaded by a shim of specific thickness which sits between the two bearings? Cause that's what a kia rio has!