Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

triple sulk posted:

lol. hail smythe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
It's been at least a year since Apple Maps tried to kill me by telling me to cut over 6 lanes despite said merger having permanent signs saying do not attempt or you will die.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

does android development still use java or did they switch to a real language? swift is open source, after all

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

revolutionary new idea

instead of round rects, what if we had rect rounds

why not both
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfFco7K9v8

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Toady posted:

does android development still use java or did they switch to a real language? swift is open source, after all

you could always write android software in the ndk using god's own language, C++

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

(it is of course god's language because only god can compile templates code in a reasonable amount of time)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

java or c++ calling java, sounds wonderful

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

worse, it's Java calling c++ calling Java

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

what the hell

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smythe posted:

what the hell

the tops of the things aren't flat

think of a toilet paper tube with the top cut off at an angle -- spin it around and the shape of the end appears to change from a circle to an ellipse

emoji posted:

It's been at least a year since Apple Maps tried to kill me by telling me to cut over 6 lanes despite said merger having permanent signs saying do not attempt or you will die.

to be fair, it was only like last year that google finally stopped directing people to illegally turn left anywhere on 19th avenue in san francisco

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

emoji posted:

apple maps has been very good at providing me transit instructions to the point of even telling me the exact exit i should take from the subway platform (and it was correct)

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Beeftweeter posted:

apple maps has been very good at providing me transit instructions to the point of even telling me the exact exit i should take from the subway platform (and it was correct)

that's totes ftw but I don't like change so I'm staying with google maps

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maps works way slower and shittier than Google Maps... I even compared them a few times because it was simply unbeliveable that a simple GPS directions app was bad in 2016. Verizon had a BREW-phone GPS map app that was better than that horse poo poo in 2006. Like the routes it give me just plain suck. If I want to go to the next city over, it invariably wants me to cut back down US-50 to Sacramento, then take I-80 back up the mountain, instead of taking the highway that runs straight there and is 1/3 the mileage and has the same speed limit. WTF.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wild EEPROM posted:

revolutionary new idea

instead of round rects, what if we had rect rounds
the only round rect that is yospos apporved belongs to kirk johnson

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Blue Train posted:

ios is the preferred system of castrati and retards
smythe is pretty up front about his preference for android so uhhh wrong on both counts dummy

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Millstone posted:

Non-nexus devices spotted have you tried not using the incorrect phone

i'll get right on using a phone designed by an anti-privacy megacorp

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Beeftweeter posted:

apple maps is indeed very good for public transit in ny

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Toady posted:

i'll get right on using a phone designed by an anti-privacy megacorp

good username

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Larry Parrish posted:

Maps works way slower and shittier than Google Maps... I even compared them a few times because it was simply unbeliveable that a simple GPS directions app was bad in 2016. Verizon had a BREW-phone GPS map app that was better than that horse poo poo in 2006. Like the routes it give me just plain suck. If I want to go to the next city over, it invariably wants me to cut back down US-50 to Sacramento, then take I-80 back up the mountain, instead of taking the highway that runs straight there and is 1/3 the mileage and has the same speed limit. WTF.

lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

apple maps is indeed very good for public transit in ny

it's ok but it way overestimates travel time for subways and way underestimates travel time for local buses

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so are new macbooks pro really not happening until fall? my nearly 6-year-old air just threw a "service battery" warning

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

on the plus side it's still at 77% capacity after 650 charge cycles

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I can't believe nobody has cornered the market for laptop juice packs like the type you need for your iPhone, you could make millions if you made a cheap plastic battery sleeve for Apple customers to shove their non-serviceable aluminum laptops into

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

get real. nobody should "buy a new battery" for a computer. if your battery has reached the end of its life, your computer is outdated

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

"real computers are like this"

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

now i'm no expert, but cars last longer than a few years, last i checked

your six year old laptop with the windows 7 sticker on it ain't gonna cut it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Why do we need new computers all the time anyway? It's not like the user experience has improved in any way, programmers just get less talented every year so you need more computing power to compensate for godawful code

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

spinning hard disks, arrandale, and ipad 1 forever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zen death robot posted:

my car battery died time for new car

if its a car on a 2 year lease, thats probably easier on you than the dealer spending weeks finding the electrical fault

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

car analogies forever

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My fastest booting and most useful computer is my oldest one :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUgmlmuHZ9c

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Toady posted:

spinning hard disks, arrandale, and ipad 1 forever

literally rocking an ipad 1 still

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

echinopsis posted:

literally rocking an ipad 1 still

is it your daily driver?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ahaha ipads are a worthless technology format. it still gets used daily by the kids for watching vids and older games though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Toady posted:

now i'm no expert, but cars last longer than a few years, last i checked

your six year old laptop with the windows 7 sticker on it ain't gonna cut it

i have a 7 year old computer with a windows 7 sticker and its fine tbh. my life wouldnt significantly improve if i got a new computer with a windows 10 sticker on it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's ok but it way overestimates travel time for subways and way underestimates travel time for local buses

noibody understands just how terrible buses are

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's nice that they automatically incorporate subway mugging time in their estimates though

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

fart simpson posted:

i have a 7 year old computer with a windows 7 sticker and its fine tbh. my life wouldnt significantly improve if i got a new computer with a windows 10 sticker on it

Yah my hideous 6-year old thinkpad running windows 7 is still the fastest computer I use day-to-day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
here's the iphone 7 - tim cook's apple is somehow the most boring company on earth

• Locked thread