Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the surface/surface 2 were abandoned with a weirdly modified 8.1 RT release

there is no plan to ever release win10 anything for the arm surface line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i wrote some powershell monstrosity at an old job to automate some horrible excel/vba nightmare that they have been using and maintaining for the past decade to validate scientific data output from the terrible software they make

it runs on a windows 7 vm and excel actually has to open in a gui but it works

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

c. Restrictions. The manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:
(v) use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;

and it definitely violates this lol

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
my favourite is when people using foreign versions of excel somehow use some ridiculous niche feature which puts custom names somewhere

they pick "database" using german office which causes no collision

when opened in english office it causes a collision with the built in reserved word "database" and the file cant be opened and your automated thing is now ruined until you RDP in and push the button

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

because the surface rt has secureboot signature enforcement that theoretically only allows production signed windows rt images to boot. and because it's not really uefi based, there's not supposed to be a way to turn it off either

the iot image is intended for devices like the raspberry pi, so while it's a signed boot image, it's not the right signature

p.sure its a generic microsoft manufacturer signature so they don't shoot themselves in the foot in the future when OS revs change but firmware/bios/whatever hasn't been updated

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

univbee posted:

I think a surprisingly large chunk of Microsoft's revenue comes specifically from "licensing violations" with many of those stemming from simple confusion (e.g. how windows vl's can only legally be installed on a system which has a windows pro version oem sticker and the sla subscription must always be active as long as the install is still there)

i know installing office to a terminal server requires a special license and you basically need a license for every user on the server, and i believe there's a third-party software package which lets you block users from running specific apps, and microsoft lets you "disqualify" users from your vl count if they're fully blocked from running office apps

Oh yeah of course, if I made a public website that used MS Office automation, technically that would mean anyone in the world could "use" Office on my PC. So long as I buy a few billion licenses, it'd be okay right?

Alternatively if the site just popped up a message every minute saying "I have 715,238 documents to convert from people all over the world. Convert them now?" to a person at my office on their desktop computer, not a server, and they clicked "Yes" then I guess you only need 1 license?

* I am not a lawyer
** I have not read the license agreement recently, or at least not absorbed any of it
*** I am not being paid by Microsoft to suggest that you should buy billions of licenses for their products

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Buttcoin purse posted:

Oh yeah of course, if I made a public website that used MS Office automation, technically that would mean anyone in the world could "use" Office on my PC. So long as I buy a few billion licenses, it'd be okay right?

Alternatively if the site just popped up a message every minute saying "I have 715,238 documents to convert from people all over the world. Convert them now?" to a person at my office on their desktop computer, not a server, and they clicked "Yes" then I guess you only need 1 license?

* I am not a lawyer
** I have not read the license agreement recently, or at least not absorbed any of it
*** I am not being paid by Microsoft to suggest that you should buy billions of licenses for their products

this post is a good reason you should just straight up never buy any licenses for microsoft products

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Ever been forcibly audited by one of the large software houses because they feel like you weren't paying them enough billions?

Fun times.

It's no wonder open sores got so popular

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

p.sure its a generic microsoft manufacturer signature so they don't shoot themselves in the foot in the future when OS revs change but firmware/bios/whatever hasn't been updated

it's not, but it doesn't matter because there is no future os rev to worry about

to get iot to boot on the surface you have to flash a new set of signatures, meant for debugging and app validation, into the boot loader. the iot and windows phone releases use a signature found in the "windows kits" package.

oob the surface and surface 2 will only boot official microsoft windows rt releases signed for the surface

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
what does IoT core actually run anyway? i can't imagine there are very many apps for it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

what does IoT core actually run anyway? i can't imagine there are very many apps for it

press junkets and maker fairs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

basically.

it can run "non-interactive" console programs and some windows platform apps

oh, and telnet, of course

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

basically.

it can run "non-interactive" console programs and some windows platform apps

oh, and telnet, of course

sounds like a very secure platform for the Internet of Things

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's a joke, because everyone made a big deal about telnet the last time

it's not on by default, and it's only intended for debugging. you have to modify the config to enable it.

you're supposed to use winrm and poweshell, which is encrypted

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

isn't Windows telnet kerberized?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

But why would anyone willingly use UWP for anything

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

error1 posted:

But why would anyone willingly use UWP for anything

paging shagger

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

isn't Windows telnet kerberized?

lol. it supports plaintext or NTLM

protip: don't use loving telnet for anything on an untrusted network, ever hth

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you think you've found a usecase for telnet in tyool 2016, you're probably wrong

on the off chance that you're not, because you have to connect to some 30 year old bit of industrial equipment running dos 3.0 that no one will ever upgrade, then make sure you isolate it to its own network segment and any communication with the rest of the network is done through an intermediary with no linked credentials.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Kerberized telnet is still stupid, the tokens are sent in plain text like how everyone hates on SPNEGO, and the entire session is also plain text.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this post is a good reason you should just straight up never buy any licenses for microsoft products

But the free license that came with my laptop is even more restrictive :v:

error1 posted:

Ever been forcibly audited by one of the large software houses because they feel like you weren't paying them enough billions?

Fun times.

It's no wonder open sores got so popular

Yep, VMware naturally wanted some information from all our vCenter servers, but also said "please run this VBScript on all of your physical Windows servers in the company". Thankfully they didn't include Windows VMs, that would have been much more painful, but I don't even know what product of theirs they thought we might be running on a physical Windows server :iiam: Maybe they were just trying to punish us for not virtualizing those machines.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

if you think you've found a usecase for telnet in tyool 2016, you're probably wrong

on the off chance that you're not, because you have to connect to some 30 year old bit of industrial equipment running dos 3.0 that no one will ever upgrade, then make sure you isolate it to its own network segment and any communication with the rest of the network is done through an intermediary with no linked credentials.

this is exactly what I've done with my Lisp Machine and a Raspberry Pi

as a bonus, I could write a usocket backend for Symbolics Genera that talks to a daemon on the Raspberry Pi to handle SSL connections, so the Lisp Machine doesn't waste its time crypto very slowly

in the future, the Raspberry Pi will also probably run a ChaosNet router

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Buttcoin purse posted:

But the free license that came with my laptop is even more restrictive :v:

Yep, VMware naturally wanted some information from all our vCenter servers, but also said "please run this VBScript on all of your physical Windows servers in the company". Thankfully they didn't include Windows VMs, that would have been much more painful, but I don't even know what product of theirs they thought we might be running on a physical Windows server :iiam: Maybe they were just trying to punish us for not virtualizing those machines.

we currently have a Vendor trying to shake us down for licenses and they want a full license for each core of each CPU that the product in a VM could potentially run on, including the other physical servers in our vsphere cluster or w/e that it could possibly migrate to

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ahmeni posted:

we currently have a Vendor trying to shake us down for licenses and they want a full license for each core of each CPU that the product in a VM could potentially run on, including the other physical servers in our vsphere cluster or w/e that it could possibly migrate to
lmao

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

ahmeni posted:

Holy poo poo. Okay I could buy this if you were getting to 5PM and then migrating the VM to London so your British devs get fast response times while they're in the office, then you migrate it to Bangalore for the third shift, but I have no idea if those sorts of migrations would be at all practical. Besides it sounds like your vendor is a bunch of assholes and they normally lock their licenses to a particular geographic region, or even office, anyway.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ahmeni posted:

that sounds like intersystems licensing. in addition to that type of poo poo, they have separate "single platform" and "multiplatform" licenses where single platform means "all licensed servers run the same os version and hardware" and multiplatform means "you installed a critical os patch in your test environment an hour before you did it in production, gently caress you you have to buy a multiplatform license forever now". ive even heard of groups being pushed onto multiplatform for poo poo like "TRN is CentOS but PRD is Red Hat" or "TST has 64 gigs of ram but PRD has twice that". sometimes the cost difference is bad enough that its cheaper to just overbuild your nonproduction servers to stay with the single platform license and do your patch testing on an unlicensed machine before doing a synchronized patch everywhere. poo poo's evil

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ahmeni posted:

lol Oracle

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

:smithcloud:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

Kerberized telnet is still stupid, the tokens are sent in plain text like how everyone hates on SPNEGO, and the entire session is also plain text.

SP my NEGO rear end

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
you got your spneego in my lomarf

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Set up affinity rules so the VM cannot possibly migrate off the host and allocate it vCores instead of vCPUs so the licensing doesn't see each processor as its own socket, then play dumb and don't talk to Larry's Sales Assholes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Or just be like us and say gently caress it and run redundant physical boxes with log shipping because we're not giving those clowns any more money

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eschaton posted:

this is exactly what I've done with my Lisp Machine and a Raspberry Pi

as a bonus, I could write a usocket backend for Symbolics Genera that talks to a daemon on the Raspberry Pi to handle SSL connections, so the Lisp Machine doesn't waste its time crypto very slowly

in the future, the Raspberry Pi will also probably run a ChaosNet router

im the $25 lisp machine cryptography coprocessor

computers are cool

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
reminder: windows 8 exists, and is terrible

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FMguru posted:

reminder: windows exists, and is terrible

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Set up affinity rules so the VM cannot possibly migrate off the host and allocate it vCores instead of vCPUs so the licensing doesn't see each processor as its own socket, then play dumb and don't talk to Larry's Sales Assholes

im not responsible for any of these things but lol at the idea of having to negotiate with terrorists

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

uwp is good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

triple sulk posted:

uwp is good

lmao you suck sulk

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug