Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Couldn't you also have solved this by manually setting the memory timings in your bios, rather than have it read them from the SPD table every bootup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

lDDQD posted:

Couldn't you also have solved this by manually setting the memory timings in your bios, rather than have it read them from the SPD table every bootup?

The post I found that identified the problem said that the memory was being detected as 512MB modules, so I assumed that that wouldn't have helped.

E: Just for shits and giggles, this is what the BIOS reports.

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 10, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

redeyes posted:

That is actually an enterprise hard drive. Not even prosumer.

Oh, 3700s, I had assumed it was a 750 for some reason.. Yeah a 3700 in a consumer motherboard is surprising.. It should work though, really.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Mine is a P3600, the photo with the tape was from the original thread that had the hack in it. Still, for 350 euros worthwhile.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
You may remember I posted here a week or two ago asking advice about which SSD to get, and ended up going with the Samsung 850 EVO. I've had a bit of an issue I think I've resolved, but I don't really understand why it happened in the first place so hoping you guys can shed some light on it.

Background: I got the SSD to do a clean install of Windows 7 to then take advantage of the upgrade offer to Windows 10, to get two things done in one go. The hardware installation went fine. Windows 7 installed fine. It upgraded to Windows 10 fine. Problems started when I wanted to wipe everything out to do a clean install of Windows 10.

With no other drives connected other than the SSD, I booted from the USB stick made using MCT to install Windows 10, and the initial steps went ok. I wiped the existing partitions off the SSD using the Win 10 installer, and had it begin the clean install. That all went well up to the reboot, and then the machine hung at post attempting to detect the SSD. Unplugging it allowed POST to proceed.

I tried a BIOS reset just in case something weird had gone on, but no dice. I then reconnected the old Win 7 OS HDD I'd been using but the system still wouldn't post unless the SSD was disconnected. I booted off the HDD and installed Magician in Win 7 (had never used it prior to this point) and the connected the SSD whilst the system was up and running, which Win 7 seemed ok with. It immediately appeared and showed volumes with valid filesystems on.

Poking around in Magician led me to the Secure Erase option, which reported the drive was in a "frozen state". Following the troubleshooting advice to disconnect and reconnect power to the SSD with the OS up and running didn't work (in fact it hard-crashed Win 7). I tried to use Magician's utility to create a bootable USB stick to do a secure erase, which failed to work with two different USB sticks. Thankfully I have a USB DVD writer hanging around, and the option to create a bootable CD worked.

Booting off the CD I was able to do a secure erase, and the drive then started functioning again. I've now got a clean install of Win 10 running with no apparent issues and the system reporting a healthy drive.

TLDR:
- Magician is a buggy POS.
- How on earth did my 850 EVO end up in a "frozen state" and is this likely to happen again?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

E: nm

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

rolleyes posted:

You may remember I posted here a week or two ago asking advice about which SSD to get, and ended up going with the Samsung 850 EVO. I've had a bit of an issue I think I've resolved, but I don't really understand why it happened in the first place so hoping you guys can shed some light on it.

Background: I got the SSD to do a clean install of Windows 7 to then take advantage of the upgrade offer to Windows 10, to get two things done in one go. The hardware installation went fine. Windows 7 installed fine. It upgraded to Windows 10 fine. Problems started when I wanted to wipe everything out to do a clean install of Windows 10.

With no other drives connected other than the SSD, I booted from the USB stick made using MCT to install Windows 10, and the initial steps went ok. I wiped the existing partitions off the SSD using the Win 10 installer, and had it begin the clean install. That all went well up to the reboot, and then the machine hung at post attempting to detect the SSD. Unplugging it allowed POST to proceed.

I tried a BIOS reset just in case something weird had gone on, but no dice. I then reconnected the old Win 7 OS HDD I'd been using but the system still wouldn't post unless the SSD was disconnected. I booted off the HDD and installed Magician in Win 7 (had never used it prior to this point) and the connected the SSD whilst the system was up and running, which Win 7 seemed ok with. It immediately appeared and showed volumes with valid filesystems on.

Poking around in Magician led me to the Secure Erase option, which reported the drive was in a "frozen state". Following the troubleshooting advice to disconnect and reconnect power to the SSD with the OS up and running didn't work (in fact it hard-crashed Win 7). I tried to use Magician's utility to create a bootable USB stick to do a secure erase, which failed to work with two different USB sticks. Thankfully I have a USB DVD writer hanging around, and the option to create a bootable CD worked.

Booting off the CD I was able to do a secure erase, and the drive then started functioning again. I've now got a clean install of Win 10 running with no apparent issues and the system reporting a healthy drive.

TLDR:
- Magician is a buggy POS.
- How on earth did my 850 EVO end up in a "frozen state" and is this likely to happen again?

Something might be off on that drive. The Frozen thing is normal for SSDs when you want to secure erase them. At least all the ones I have tried. It doesn't mean the drive is 'stuck' or something, just you can't secure erase it without getting out of that mode.

So what you experienced shouldn't have happened and it may be a deeper issue.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

rolleyes posted:

Just as a note, this is no longer necessary for Windows 10. Next time (presumably after you RMA the possibly broken SSD) you upgrade Windows 10, you can go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC -> Erase all Files and Programs to reset Windows 10 to a vanilla state. (Think of it like the option on your tablet or phone to reset to factory)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arsten posted:

Just as a note, this is no longer necessary for Windows 10. Next time (presumably after you RMA the possibly broken SSD) you upgrade Windows 10, you can go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC -> Erase all Files and Programs to reset Windows 10 to a vanilla state. (Think of it like the option on your tablet or phone to reset to factory)

The only thing this doesn't fix is the 500MB partition that Windows 10 puts on the end of the disk during an upgrade. If you do a fresh install and let 10 partition it, it puts it at the beginning. It's not a huge deal but it can be annoying if you're trying to clone a disk to a different sized disk later.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Rexxed posted:

The only thing this doesn't fix is the 500MB partition that Windows 10 puts on the end of the disk during an upgrade. If you do a fresh install and let 10 partition it, it puts it at the beginning. It's not a huge deal but it can be annoying if you're trying to clone a disk to a different sized disk later.

I don't see how that would be annoying unless you are trying to put it to a smaller disk. And, while I haven't had to do this in awhile, I don't think it's much of a problem for Ghost/Acronis/etc to move those into the right places, these days. It would only be a problem if you are going to dd the sucker.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arsten posted:

I don't see how that would be annoying unless you are trying to put it to a smaller disk. And, while I haven't had to do this in awhile, I don't think it's much of a problem for Ghost/Acronis/etc to move those into the right places, these days. It would only be a problem if you are going to dd the sucker.

Yeah it's mostly a problem when you go to a smaller disk, although I'm not sure if it'd be a problem going to a larger disk. I don't know where windows keeps track of it's little system reserved or recovery partition or how to update it. Windows 7's front of the disk one is 100MB and Windows 8 is 350MB, but Win 10 seems to want 450MB or 500MB. Either way there can be some advantage to a fresh install after an upgrade even though it's minor.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

redeyes posted:

Something might be off on that drive. The Frozen thing is normal for SSDs when you want to secure erase them. At least all the ones I have tried. It doesn't mean the drive is 'stuck' or something, just you can't secure erase it without getting out of that mode.

So what you experienced shouldn't have happened and it may be a deeper issue.

OK, that's annoying but better to return it for a replacement now than have it fail on me later I guess.

Thanks for the info.

E: thanks Arsten for the Win 10 reset tip as well.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Samsungs new 4TB 850 Evo. For the low low price of $1,499. That's only 0.375c/GB, compare that to the 0.3177c/GB of the 1TB or the 0.3378c/GB of the 2TB.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-850-evo-4tb-ssd-review,4623.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10481/the-samsung-850-evo-4tb-ssd-review

It has 48-Layer 256-GBit NAND chips now instead of the 36-Layer 128-GBit on the previous 850 EVOs. It also ships with 4GB LDDR3 on board compared to the 2GB, 1GB and 512MB of the 2TB, 1TB, and 250/500 GB models respectively. Read and write performance is basically the same across the board compared to previous models. The passive power usage has gone up by 10mW compared to the 2TB, but active power usage has gone down by 0.6w/1.1w respectively for Read/Write activity.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 11, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

As crazy as that price sounds, the 160GB Intel XM-25 had an original price of $945

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This reads like a rocket part in Kerbal Space Program: "Thanks to the brilliant suggestion of the staff janitor 'why don't you make 'em bigger?' the public now can enjoy the sheer thrill of [storing] enormous objects in [the consumer ssd market] space."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I remember when 4TB required an entire stack in the data center. :corsair:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ynglaur posted:

I remember when 4TB required an entire stack in the data center. :corsair:

We've come a long way

464 9GB SCSI disks :haw:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

That's about 3x what I expected to see a 4TB drive cost this year. http://techreport.com/news/29583/mushkin-previews-a-500-4tb-ssd-at-ces

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Bob Morales posted:

We've come a long way

464 9GB SCSI disks :haw:

4TB of storage is alot when you consider how much digital data actually existed in the world ~20 years ago.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Is leaving 20% of a SSD's storage free still a good idea or is it something outdated that we don't have to do anymore?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am looking forward to the day when all my local storage (including local NAS) are flash-only.

Anyone charted the cost per tera/gigabyte compared between spinning disk and flash? Is the gap narrowing or staying about the same? Seems like it is about 5x the cost for flash over hdd (comparing 1TB drives).

HDDs are fine for media storage etc, sure, but all flash would be pretty nifty.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OhFunny posted:

Is leaving 20% of a SSD's storage free still a good idea or is it something outdated that we don't have to do anymore?

Don't worry about it these days unless you are filling it up to 100% all the time. If you are filling it to 100% you might need a bigger/more drive.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
It's Prime day on Amazon today and I've got about £75 of Amazon credit to spend. I'm looking to get an SSD to house my OS (planning on doing a clean install of Windows 10, I'm on 7 at the moment), games, and dev environment. I know poo poo-all about SSDs so would like some advice:

These 3 are all deals of the day:

Sandisk Ultra II, 480GB, £77:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SD...-1&keywords=ssd

Samsung 750 EVO, 250GB, £53:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-in...-2&keywords=ssd

Crucial MX300, 750GB, £110:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX...-3&keywords=ssd

I'm leaning towards the Sandisk since it doesn't require any extra cash from me, but also the Crucial MX300 looks like a pretty good deal considering its size. If it is, I'm tempted to put the extra in to get it, but is there any reason I shouldn't? It seems to have alright reviews.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
The 500GB 750 EVO went on lighting deal for about £90 so in the absence of advice I jumped on it. A litte more per GB than the Crucial but it looks like it's generally better reviewed, a bit faster, and closer to what I wanted to spend anyway. So, hopefully it wasn't a bad choice.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
960GB Sandisk Ultra II down to $165 because prime day. Tempted but it will likely drop to $150 by black friday or what I really want is for sandisk to introduce some 2TB drives in the $325 range. That would let me consolidate all the remaining pieces of scattered HDD storage I have so I can be free of spinning drives forever.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Seamonster posted:

960GB Sandisk Ultra II down to $165 because prime day. Tempted but it will likely drop to $150 by black friday or what I really want is for sandisk to introduce some 2TB drives in the $325 range. That would let me consolidate all the remaining pieces of scattered HDD storage I have so I can be free of spinning drives forever.

Is this drive decent quality? Anandtech liked it, but I'm seeing newegg reviews claiming it dies after 3-4 months. I'm super tempted to buy it because I've been want a 1TB drive to finally rid myself entirely of mechanical discs, and that price is really good.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Any SSD can brick for any reason. There are plenty of 1 star reviews on amazon even for our beloved 850 evo claiming a bricked drive after several months usage. I had a 840 evo that bricked while running samsung magician

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Seamonster posted:

Any SSD can brick for any reason. There are plenty of 1 star reviews on amazon even for our beloved 850 evo claiming a bricked drive after several months usage. I had a 840 evo that bricked while running samsung magician

Case in point, I just returned my 850 Evo for a new one because of suspicious behaviour (see post from yesterday in this thread).

Actually on my way home now with its replacement, fingers crossed this one works and the others was a rare dud.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

rolleyes posted:

Case in point, I just returned my 850 Evo for a new one because of suspicious behaviour (see post from yesterday in this thread).

Actually on my way home now with its replacement, fingers crossed this one works and the others was a rare dud.

I bet it'll be fine. I've sold so many Samsung SSDs I lost count and none have failed. Not even the original 840 with TLC or even the 830s with MLC.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

redeyes posted:

I bet it'll be fine. I've sold so many Samsung SSDs I lost count and none have failed. Not even the original 840 with TLC or even the 830s with MLC.

Well Windows 10 is up and running with no issues so looking good!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Seamonster posted:

Yeah, I figured people with DOA drives or lemons that brick after a couple months are more likely to post reviews than the majority of people who are happy with them. I went ahead and ordered one. That poo poo was too good of a deal to pass up, and I've been meaning to pick up a 1TB drive to replace my mechanical one for a while now.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
The 960 gb drive sold out online but is still up on prime now if it is in your city plus you get it in like 2 hours.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I was just about to buy a 480GB Ultra II for a friend whose system is SORELY in need of an SSD boot drive, but I decided to see what Sandisk's 'concierge' service entails. It's literally paying someone to walk you through the cloning/install process, which, hey, some people might like...but the shady part is that when you finally find the link to download the "I can do it myself, thank you very much" software for their drives (which they don't make very easy), you get linked to this shady-as-gently caress TigerDirect-looking website:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/d...nJPaUluVm0ifQ.. (bear in mind what Amazon was selling was the bare drive sans USB-to-SATA cable)

http://www.apricorn.com/products/software/sandisk

IMPORTANT: YOU'LL NEED A SATA / USB CABLE TO TRANSFER DATA TO YOUR NEW DRIVE

No you don't. You don't even need the 'good' option listed there. gently caress you, Sandisk, for conning naive people into buying overpriced data transfer cables. I also love how evidently the 'free' version for Sandisk drives is listed as 'single-use.' And the cheapest shipping option for that $9.99 USB-to-SATA cable? 2-Day FedEx for $14.19.

And yeah, I know..."tell them to use macrium instead," but that's not the point. If this is what Sandisk is telling new customers under warranty to do, it's not a good sign. I've never even heard of the cloning program they're recommending.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 13, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So.. all the reviews of the 750 EVO say that it uses Planar Flash and a 2-core controller, whereas the Amazon page I bought mine from quite clearly says:

quote:

Samsung SSD 750 EVO 500 GB Basic. 2.5" SATA 6 GB/s / 3D V-NAND / Samsung 3core MGX / 540 MB/s read, 520 MB/s write / 97K IOPS / 1.5Mh MTBF / 256-Bit-AES

Is this wrong, or did the spec change? And should I care?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

chippy posted:

So.. all the reviews of the 750 EVO say that it uses Planar Flash and a 2-core controller, whereas the Amazon page I bought mine from quite clearly says:

Is this wrong, or did the spec change? And should I care?

It's probably wrong; they likely just cut-and-paste from the 850 EVO's info. As long as you read the reviews and are ok with the performance you saw, it won't matter.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was just about to buy a 480GB Ultra II for a friend whose system is SORELY in need of an SSD boot drive, but I decided to see what Sandisk's 'concierge' service entails. It's literally paying someone to walk you through the cloning/install process, which, hey, some people might like...but the shady part is that when you finally find the link to download the "I can do it myself, thank you very much" software for their drives (which they don't make very easy), you get linked to this shady-as-gently caress TigerDirect-looking website:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/d...nJPaUluVm0ifQ.. (bear in mind what Amazon was selling was the bare drive sans USB-to-SATA cable)

http://www.apricorn.com/products/software/sandisk

IMPORTANT: YOU'LL NEED A SATA / USB CABLE TO TRANSFER DATA TO YOUR NEW DRIVE

No you don't. You don't even need the 'good' option listed there. gently caress you, Sandisk, for conning naive people into buying overpriced data transfer cables. I also love how evidently the 'free' version for Sandisk drives is listed as 'single-use.' And the cheapest shipping option for that $9.99 USB-to-SATA cable? 2-Day FedEx for $14.19.

And yeah, I know..."tell them to use macrium instead," but that's not the point. If this is what Sandisk is telling new customers under warranty to do, it's not a good sign. I've never even heard of the cloning program they're recommending.

Can I just use my Samsung software to clone to it, or will that have unforeseen consequences?

On the other hand, all I really need to do is drag and drop the contents of one drive to another...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The samsung software might just refuse to work on a non-samsung SSD. That'd be my guess.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

il serpente cosmico posted:

Can I just use my Samsung software to clone to it, or will that have unforeseen consequences?

On the other hand, all I really need to do is drag and drop the contents of one drive to another...

If you aren't booting an OS from it, yeah, just drag and drop the files you want to keep.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Could storage goons please help me choose a drive - I have SATA and m2 ports available for the interface. (No pcie lanes, as this is ITX)

This is for a vive box, so non game load results don't matter one bit, don't mind buying an OEM drive like an sm961... but I assume performance at low queue depths is what I want? Any help appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I can't loving believe how fast my computer is now.

• Locked thread