Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm looking forward to Enigma Boy and Cheap Trick out of the non-finale arcs in the Part 4 anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As good as bug eyes Josuke is, I'm looking forward to the GOAT Star Platinum panel in next weeks anime.
Hopefully they get it right, because they've missed a couple of great ones so far.

This one:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

DicktheCat posted:

I do, however, believe Kira would be diagnosed with some form of personality disorder. One thing that fascinated me was a quick scene where he was astonished to find he felt something for the mother of his stolen family, which would indicate that he isn't a sociopath, either, as he would be entirely incapable of feeling empathy at all. It is possible that his state is actually a product of his upbringing more than latent mental illness.

..... or I'm digging way too into a cartoon character's personality.
The upbringing thing is interesting, because in Atom Heart Father, they say by all accounts, the Kiras were a close family even though the Kiras were very old by the time they had their son. (Though the wiki gives a big ol Araki Said that Kira actually had a bad childhood with zero source so gently caress that) And due to Yoshihiro being incredibly devoted to his son, being very aware that his son is murdering women, it seems to be case of having a spoiled childhood than anything, which can be seen in his ego and like others have said, he never really worked for anything, always choosing to hold himself back.

Kira's a real monster of a person, but we get way more of his internal thoughts than any other villain so it's way more interesting to dig into his personality than like, Why Is Diavolo So Mysterious or Why Is Kars Such A Jerk

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moltrey posted:

The upbringing thing is interesting, because in Atom Heart Father, they say by all accounts, the Kiras were a close family even though the Kiras were very old by the time they had their son. (Though the wiki gives a big ol Araki Said that Kira actually had a bad childhood with zero source so gently caress that) And due to Yoshihiro being incredibly devoted to his son, being very aware that his son is murdering women, it seems to be case of having a spoiled childhood than anything, which can be seen in his ego and like others have said, he never really worked for anything, always choosing to hold himself back.

Kira's a real monster of a person, but we get way more of his internal thoughts than any other villain so it's way more interesting to dig into his personality than like, Why Is Diavolo So Mysterious or Why Is Kars Such A Jerk

Also JoJolion Kira's basically the same guy but raised by a decent parent, and whilst he's not exactly citizen of the year he's not a serial killer either. Yoshino is just a really lovely dad who enabled his son's worst impulses rather than teach him good values, which works pretty well for a villain motivation in what is basically an exploration of Japanese suburban life with superpowers.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah it's really telling and cool that the first time we see Kira 8 interact with his parent, it's him being a whiner, not caring about the life of another and only what he wants only for his mom telling him to shut up and use Sheer Heart Attack to save someone's life.

Kira 8 made me wonder for a while how useful Killer Queen would be as a Stand if you weren't a murder and didn't care about killing people, I wish that had been explored more

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Moltrey posted:

Yeah it's really telling and cool that the first time we see Kira 8 interact with his parent, it's him being a whiner, not caring about the life of another and only what he wants only for his mom telling him to shut up and use Sheer Heart Attack to save someone's life.

Kira 8 made me wonder for a while how useful Killer Queen would be as a Stand if you weren't a murder and didn't care about killing people, I wish that had been explored more

Killer Queen can explode anything, right? He never touched Fatty, but he blew up the button and threw it at Fatty, so it can be used on non living objects. I can imagine there would be a LOT of use for something that can cleanly and precicely eliminate obstruction. Youd never have to worry about arterial plaque for one.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Meme Emulator posted:

Killer Queen can explode anything, right? He never touched Fatty, but he blew up the button and threw it at Fatty, so it can be used on non living objects. I can imagine there would be a LOT of use for something that can cleanly and precicely eliminate obstruction. Youd never have to worry about arterial plaque for one.

Killer Queen your cancer cells and you have the crudest Pearl Jam substitute in the world.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Even the thickest and most complicated vault door would be nothing in front of Kira. He could have had an exciting life as a cat burglar.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Amaryllis posted:

I love Mikitaka, I wish that DiU was dozens of chapters longer so that he'd get to do more, and I also like that his debut gives us a reminder that Josuke is a still a lovely teenager despite his golden heart:

e: lovely teen antics are also why I can't wait to see Harvest animated.

That whole arc was literally just an Ed Edd and Eddy episode, complete with Kevin's Rohan's house burning down.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Momomo posted:

That whole arc was literally just an Ed Edd and Eddy episode, complete with Kevin's Rohan's house burning down.

You can easily pitch Diamond is Unbreakable as "Ed, Edd, n' Eddy have weird powers and track down David Bowie the serial killer".

Josuke: All we have to do is go up the - WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STAIRS?!
Okuyasu: The Hand made them go away because I am grounded :(
Koichi: That's disturbing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
who's plank in that scenario.

edit: oh my god, yukako is those three trailer girls it fits so good.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kurtofan posted:

...Cheap Trick? Shizuka?

The real question is who Rolf is, either Tonio or Mikitaka.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kurtofan posted:

edit: oh my god, yukako is those three trailer girls it fits so good.

I mean there's a guy that literally was a wooden friend

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I eagerly await the inevitable "Gyro Zeppeli: 80's popstar" arc.
(Specifically a 1980's popstar in the 1880's)

If they cut any of gyro's skits i loving walk

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Life has many Heaven's Doors, Jo Boys

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Momomo posted:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I decided to re-read Steel Ball Run on a whim because it's the best.

It's so loving good.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm still re-reading that a tiny bit at a time and am juuust starting D4C, it gets better every time I read.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The colored versions are about halfway through SBR at this point if anyone wants to re-read that way, Tattoo You is about to start.

e: looked at the supposed lyrics to the new OP and I'm into that's just about how much Josuke wants to kill Kira

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 11, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Moltrey posted:

The colored versions are about halfway through SBR at this point if anyone wants to re-read that way, Tattoo You is about to start.

e: looked at the supposed lyrics to the new OP and I'm into that's just about how much Josuke wants to kill Kira

It's a nice reversal of things too since you get a lot of superhero stuff where they'll kill or put dozens of their henchmen in the hospital but not you you're going to jail instead.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It's a nice reversal of things too since you get a lot of superhero stuff where they'll kill or put dozens of their henchmen in the hospital but not you you're going to jail instead.

Though he does essentially give Terunosuke Miyamoto a fate worse than death, which, as someone pointed out in this thread a few pages back, seems uncalled for, since Terunosuke is basically the same as Rohan was when he was introduced.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Except Rohan doesn't gently caress around with Josuke's mom.

You do not mess with Tomoko.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Well Terunosuke went after Tomoko AND tried to shoot Josuke in the face with a loving gun at point blank range so gently caress that guy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I think the lyrics might actually be about Rohan and not Josuke

E: Nevermind, the lyrics on the wiki are different with regards to the arrow, I think one translation posted up here talked about the time since having been pierced with the arrow, and it's as much if not moreso Rohan's vendetta with Kira. I forgot just how much Rohan took the spotlight once he showed up, actually.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 11, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Except Rohan doesn't gently caress around with Josuke's mom.

You do not mess with Tomoko.

I think this is exactly it. Josuke can forgive people attempting to kill Koichi, Okuyasu, or Joseph. But when someone threatens his mother, they're not even allowed to die.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the lyrics might actually be about Rohan and not Josuke

E: Nevermind, the lyrics on the wiki are different with regards to the arrow, I think one translation posted up here talked about the time since having been pierced with the arrow, and it's as much if not moreso Rohan's vendetta with Kira. I forgot just how much Rohan took the spotlight once he showed up, actually.
Possibly! The last OP was from Koichi's point of view and it's not like Josuke is as proactive about finding Kira as Rohan is, but I think Josuke is cooler and I like to think he's loving ready to ice this dude cause Josuke's a raw motherfucker

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Possibly! The last OP was from Koichi's point of view and it's not like Josuke is as proactive about finding Kira as Rohan is, but I think Josuke is cooler and I like to think he's loving ready to ice this dude cause Josuke's a raw motherfucker

Josuke would never ice people though, it's not in his character and he literally comes out of DiU with a negative killcount (rats don't count).

I don't think Rohan does either but it's way more within his character to do so if the need came up.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, the only people Josuke does worse to than put in the hospital for a few weeks are Angelo and Terunosuke, who attacked his family. Don't gently caress with Josuke's family.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Josuke would never ice people though, it's not in his character and he literally comes out of DiU with a negative killcount (rats don't count).

I don't think Rohan does either but it's way more within his character to do so if the need came up.

You're probably right, and the lyrics only talk about just kicking his rear end, but Josuke condemns two pretty bad people to terrible and instantly Dorararara's a rando on the street who was talking to his son because he heard him say "My name is Yoshikage Kira", so Josuke would've probably killed Kira if he had too. Thankfully, papa Jotaro took that one cause man that would be messed up

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Moltrey posted:

You're probably right, and the lyrics only talk about just kicking his rear end, but Josuke condemns two pretty bad people to terrible and instantly Dorararara's a rando on the street who was talking to his son because he heard him say "My name is Yoshikage Kira", so Josuke would've probably killed Kira if he had too. Thankfully, papa Jotaro took that one cause man that would be messed up

Josuke would've merged Kira to a mannequin's hand but he wouldn't have killed him, condemning people was when there weren't any options left (neither Angelo or Terunosuke were likely to be rehabilitated, and both of their stands were both nearly impossible to neutralize permanently and extremely dangerous)

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
So how many people do you think are gonna complain that next episode is just "filler about rats" and totally miss the point that it's about loving Jotaro and Josuke hanging out, learning to hunt, and murdering a couple of flesh melting evil rats? I hope zero because Let's Go Hunting! is cool as hell.

Plus, the Stand is called Ratt which is like the loving most hilariously on-the-nose Stand to User naming convention in the whole series.

RubberLuffy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 11, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if they didn't complain about tonio or joseph's bizarre adventure then they're not gonna complain about a hunting trip

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Especially since the hunting trip has some great moments for both characters and is ultimately pretty loving creepy. I think it'll go over fine.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm curious as to how people will handle Suddenly Ghosts. Like Part 3 had the souls of Avdol, Iggy and Joseph, but now here's a ghost girl with her ghost dog in a ghost alley with evil ghost hands that operate under their own ghost rules, and just this new layer of supernatural that is brought up and never really explored further

also im really excited to see future episode titles like The Cat Likes Kira and My Dad Is Not My Dad

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 11, 2016

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I love unexplained and evocative setting elements like the Hand Alley and the alien. It really annoys me how manga tends to codify everything and I'm glad Jojo doesn't really do power levels.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Moltrey posted:

I'm curious as to how people will handle Suddenly Ghosts. Like Part 3 had the souls of Avdol, Iggy and Joseph, but now here's a ghost girl with her ghost dog in a ghost alley with evil ghost hands that operate under their own ghost rules, and just this new layer of supernatural that is brought up and never really explored further

also im really excited to see future episode titles like The Cat Likes Kira and My Dad Is Not My Dad

It'd be pretty funny if the ghost alley pissed people off considering the series already has zombies, vampires, double vampires, and manifestations of the soul, so it would be weird to decide that ghosts is where someone draws the line.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

chaos rhames posted:

I love unexplained and evocative setting elements like the Hand Alley and the alien. It really annoys me how manga tends to codify everything and I'm glad Jojo doesn't really do power levels.
Now if only we could do away with the stat blocks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

They accepted the existence of a magic arrow that can grant people punchghosts. I think they can deal with stuff like supernatural alley and literally an alien (except maybe not??).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bad Seafood posted:

Now if only we could do away with the stat blocks.

Any time someone asks about the stat blocks in the anime thread, people jump to say that they don't mean anything.

I mean they were only introduced in the manga in part 5 and all the ones before are retroactive from data books, but even after that they're super pointless. It's literally just nerd bait, and some people can't resist that, but for the most part jojo tends to avoid power level discussions on the level of, say, One Piece, which also doesn't have power levels but people still act like that's what bounties/marine ranks are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The only two stats that mean anything are range and power since they effectively determine whether or not what you've got is a punchghost or a magic trick, and even that's a binary designation that becomes less meaningful as the series progresses.