Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I have both the petty queen of Powys and her female heir as prisoners from a previous de jure war. How do I use this to my advantage?

Edit: I can't take the queen as a concubine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I have both the petty queen of Powys and her female heir as prisoners from a previous de jure war. How do I use this to my advantage?

Edit: I can't take the queen as a concubine.

If you have one, marry your male heir to her female heir and keep the queen imprisoned until she dies.

That said, you'll probably want to keep the Queen of Powys alive until you yourself keel over, so don't throw her into the Oubliette just yet.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 10, 2016

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Crow Jane posted:

Does anyone in here play the Game of Thrones mod? If so, what Essos cultures are reasonably developed/fun to play? I've been loving around in Westeros for a while, cackling as I feed people to my dragons and just generally seeing how insane the AI gets, and it's great, but I want to see what the rest of the map has to offer.

Let me counter this question with another question: how much do you like slavery?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So can anyone give me tips on how to play After The End?

I tried it out but I didn't do very well, I could not get the Interstate river trading working either since I don't know how to use it.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Koorisch posted:

So can anyone give me tips on how to play After The End?

I tried it out but I didn't do very well, I could not get the Interstate river trading working either since I don't know how to use it.

Gameplay wise, ATE plays similar to a challenging mod like CK2+ in that mortality rates are upped and it's generally harder to map color.

The new systems also aren't intuitively obvious in thier function, but can be pretty strong if used strategically.

However the interstate trade system is hosed. Any break in the line will disrupt trade for everyone, it's a known issue that's being addressed. My games usually have trade for maybe ~5 years but then some raid half the country away cuts it off and it never recovers.

Awhile ago I made a short little AAR to get newbies accustomed to the new systems and gameplay.

http://imgur.com/a/jQT6H

Enjoy!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
This mod is so different and I'm so rusty it's hard to play at times, too much of the newer games can do that to you I guess.

Are there any mods that work well with ATF or should i just skip other mods?

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 10, 2016

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Trade is working great if you're playing in California as you should be.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
This shouldn't be possible.

I'm the Republic of Ireland, have made Wessex my tributary, and he's somehow defending against me in another war. He's not defending against me directly, he's the ally of the dude I am fighting, but shouldn't he be my ally? In particular, I was fighting another war shortly before this, where he was my ally, went directly into war against Mercia, and some-goddamn-how, he switched sides on me. :(

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

nutranurse posted:

Let me counter this question with another question: how much do you like slavery?

I'd be willing to play as a slaver culture for a game or two, I guess, but would probably feel terrible afterwards. I tend to play even vanilla CK2 as a series of ruthless tyrants, so slavery is probably a natural progression of that. I'm not proud :smith:

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

darthbob88 posted:

This shouldn't be possible.

I'm the Republic of Ireland, have made Wessex my tributary, and he's somehow defending against me in another war. He's not defending against me directly, he's the ally of the dude I am fighting, but shouldn't he be my ally? In particular, I was fighting another war shortly before this, where he was my ally, went directly into war against Mercia, and some-goddamn-how, he switched sides on me. :(

Could the guy you're fighting have gone to war with your tributary and taken over the role from you perhaps? The few times I've made someone my tributary, it says something along the lines of "any previous suzerainty will be removed", so I think it's possible to essentially steal a tribute from another ruler and then that guy is forced into whatever wars the new guy has - in this case, your old tribute was taken from you by the guy you're currently fighting?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
They might have an alliance. I've found out that even if your allied with someone, if they are allied with a ruler you are attacking, they will side with the defender.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

The B_36 posted:

Could the guy you're fighting have gone to war with your tributary and taken over the role from you perhaps? The few times I've made someone my tributary, it says something along the lines of "any previous suzerainty will be removed", so I think it's possible to essentially steal a tribute from another ruler and then that guy is forced into whatever wars the new guy has - in this case, your old tribute was taken from you by the guy you're currently fighting?
Yeah, I'm familiar with that sort of thing, but dude's still my tributary, as you might be able to see on that tiny image.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

They might have an alliance. I've found out that even if your allied with someone, if they are allied with a ruler you are attacking, they will side with the defender.
I think that's it; I was trying to avoid that by going to war with Mercia while Wessex was still fighting alongside me, since that would override any alliances they might have, but I suspect I mixed up the timing and there was a brief window between ending the one war and Wessex joining the other, when they were not fighting alongside me and did answer Mercia's call to arms.

This war had really not gone my way; after Wessex turned against me, I decided to try hiring some mercs, which ate most of my gold, but I was still profitable, and could still support all these hired men, until I got hit with one of those random "Bad things happen, lose 50g" events which pushed me just into bankruptcy and the Saxon Band decided to find somebody who could actually pay them. All seemed lost, I was seriously considering surrendering, and then the war became moot, as the dude whose claim i was pressing peacefully inherited the county.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Really short dev diary about the future of the game. The DLC is scheduled for late August.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 12, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The "huge" one (the 14th) is obviously China (because China is huge)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Africa is also huge.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
When do the aztecs usually invade during the sunset invasion? I'm ~150 years from the end of the game and haven't seen a warning of them yet.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The Aztecs show up in the 1250-1350 range, so it might be a couple decades.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

The "huge" one (the 14th) is obviously China (because China is huge)
You know what else is huge? The Roman Empire.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ofaloaf posted:

You know what else is huge? The Roman Empire Atlantic Ocean.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ofaloaf posted:

You know what else is huge? The Roman Empire pile of my enemies scrotums after a good Byzantium run.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's Greenland, finally we are going to have a complete map of Europe!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I continually hope for an Espionage-and-Intrigue DLC, with spies and informants and all the like. That would just about make my day. :shobon:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Something huge? Sounds like AtE will be included by default now.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

SeaTard posted:

Something huge? Sounds like AtE will be included by default now.
I wish.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's Greenland, finally we are going to have a complete map of Europe!

Greenland is in America, as is western half of Iceland which should obviously be removed from the game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DrSunshine posted:

I continually hope for an Espionage-and-Intrigue DLC, with spies and informants and all the like. That would just about make my day. :shobon:

Since they said no more core mechanics change after Conclave, I doubt we will get anything like this.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FreudianSlippers posted:

Greenland is in America, as is western half of Iceland which should obviously be removed from the game.

But Greenland is part of Denmark, so it's in Europe by default!

Why is there no French Guyana in CK2? :mad:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
The next expansion will introduce Australia, but nothing inbetween so it is impossible to interact with it in any way. It will have 1000 counties and do nothing but chug resources.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So wait, that DD says "That said, there are still some blanks in the Old World; rulers you cannot play and regions not yet covered…". What are the rulers you cannot play? All I can think of are inland republics and theocracies, and I'm fairly sure they're not doing theocracies.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TheMcD posted:

So wait, that DD says "That said, there are still some blanks in the Old World; rulers you cannot play and regions not yet covered…". What are the rulers you cannot play? All I can think of are inland republics and theocracies, and I'm fairly sure they're not doing theocracies.

Barons

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Is there a reason we don't have playable barons actually? Do they not have councils and courtiers simulated properly or what? Starting with nothing more than a castle would be kinda fun.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
If they let you play Barons or landless nobles that would be hilarious.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Koramei posted:

Is there a reason we don't have playable barons actually? Do they not have councils and courtiers simulated properly or what? Starting with nothing more than a castle would be kinda fun.

Yeah. Barons don't have a court or council or anything. If they added playable barons, they would have to add courts and councils for EVERY baron on the map, and that would kill the game from all the added characters, probably.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Koramei posted:

imagine how badly the game lags now but with roughly 3 times as many characters

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Why couldn't they just simulate the player's council and no other barons' then?

If they ever do a big espionage expansion, getting rid of the no-land being game over would be cool. Letting you play as a random courtier and worm your way back into a position of power after your family was disgraced. Or play as an adventurer and work to win over people to fight for you.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'd honestly loving love to play as an adventurer or wandering horde and was rather sad when it turned out you couldn't in Horse Lords

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Koramei posted:

Why couldn't they just simulate the player's council and no other barons' then?

If they ever do a big espionage expansion, getting rid of the no-land being game over would be cool. Letting you play as a random courtier and worm your way back into a position of power after your family was disgraced. Or play as an adventurer and work to win over people to fight for you.

It would be really nice for them to implement wandering player characters even if just for use by modders. It's probably not easy without building it in from the start though so maybe CK3 is a more realistic target for that feature.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Couldn't you just give them a "titular" holding, so they'd technically not be landless? Similar to the nomad capital but literally not on the map.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
You can't play as a mercenary company, maybe they're adding them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Couldn't you just give them a "titular" holding, so they'd technically not be landless? Similar to the nomad capital but literally not on the map.

You can be landless as a patrician where you only hold your house.

• Locked thread