Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone suppose Marvel will be trying hard to get Catherine Zeta-Jones to play Janet Van Dyne in the MCU? It's the sort of thing I could see them trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Reintroducing Janet Van Dyne to the MCU would be a public relations loving nightmare with absolutely zero good solutions. Keep her dead or atomized or whatever her current status is.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
"Rather than deal with the potential complications of extricating these two characters from an uncomfortable storyline that has come to define them in the comics (which we rarely stick to anyway,) let's just fridge the woman."

You're right, that's much better.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think having Janet in flashbacks as Hank sees the legacy of ant man and the wasp being fulfilled by Scott and his daughter might work but i dunno how they would work actually bringing her back from like 20 years in the microverse or the quantum realm of whatever term they used in the movie

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

As usual, you are overestimating how much 99.999% of the MCU's audience knows anything about comic books.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Chaos Hippy posted:

"Rather than deal with the potential complications of extricating these two characters from an uncomfortable storyline that has come to define them in the comics (which we rarely stick to anyway,) let's just fridge the woman."

Honestly? Yeah. Address the issue, Hank suddenly becomes the wife-beating superhero all loving over again. Pretend it never happened, get accused of erasure, whether valid or not.

And no, nobody reads the loving comics but you are mother loving fooling yourself if there wouldn't be a bunch of insufferable thinkpieces about how Disney/Marvel's eliminating the very real problem of spousal abuse as a social issue from their superhero movies if they bring back Janet and don't bring up The Incident.

It's a problem with absolutely zero solution. You already saw it sorta with Tony's nonexistent alcoholism in the MCU, imagine that issue times a billion and that's what happens if they bring up Janet Van Dyne.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 10, 2016

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Chaos Hippy posted:

I don't think it counts as fridging someone when they heroically sacrifice themselves to save lives.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If anything, they already did Janet disservice by implying she was too dumb to try something as simple as sticking the expandodisc in the regulator.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was kind of hoping that Ant-Man and Wasp would be a movie about them going to the Microverse to rescue Janet. Nobody cares about the comic poo poo and if people want to write dumb think pieces about it then let them and we can all just ignore them as we should. I think not bringing in Janet would be a mistake because it's a leftover plot point that needs to be addressed.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just don't think it's a coincidence that the current Ant-Man is Scott Lang, the only legacy superhero in the MCU. They've already more-or-less punted Pym out of any real influence with the Avengers or other superheroes, even in an advisory capacity beyond a mentorship of Scott, and killed off Janet because of how tainted of characters they are, and pairing up Scott and Hope makes it so they basically get the Ant-Man/Wasp dynamic without the uncomfortable reality that is Hank and Janet. The creative direction of the first movie has already been a sort of tacit admission of defeat and a sweeping of the first Ant-Man and first Wasp off the board.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You're approaching this with dumb comic fan logic where you think that something that happened in the comic matters to the movies. It doesn't and it never will. The reason Lang was picked was because it was set up as a con man heist film from the inception and that Lang was the character that fit that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
They kinda have to. If nothing else just to find Janet's body and give Hank peace. The amount of people that get flustered about Marvel deciding not to adapt Hank hitting Janet will be insignificant. Marvel absolutely does not have to have Hank hitting Janet in their cinematic canon. It would be stupid if they did. They leave out stuff from the comics all the time. Not only that, the story that included that moment has already concluded and Hank wasn't a part of it at all. They don't have to bring that up any more than they have to do an adaptation of Avengers #200 when they have a Captain Marvel movie.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

You're approaching this with dumb comic fan logic where you think that something that happened in the comic matters to the movies. It doesn't and it never will. The reason Lang was picked was because it was set up as a con man heist film from the inception and that Lang was the character that fit that.

I don't think that, but you are fooling yourself if you don't think there will be a bunch of really overwrought, missing-the-point or the fact that the MCU isn't the 616 ill-informed and disingenuous "socially conscious" articles about how Hank hit Janet in the comics that aren't canon to a movie series with a totally different backstory and Marvel is Bad for not including it. It would absolutely, 100% happen. It would be A Thing, even moreso than #GiveCapABoyfriend, a hashtag that literally ignored characters' stated onscreen sexuality to blow up into a whole event.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How about as a compromise where they bring Janet back, and Scott Lang hits his ex-wife.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

But none of that matters, nobody should pay it attention and arguing that they should write their movies to avoid a few dummies online whining about comics is stupid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah having hank hit janet in the movie would look so incredibly bad they would never do that lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Honestly? Yeah. Address the issue, Hank suddenly becomes the wife-beating superhero all loving over again. Pretend it never happened, get accused of erasure, whether valid or not.

And no, nobody reads the loving comics but you are mother loving fooling yourself if there wouldn't be a bunch of insufferable thinkpieces about how Disney/Marvel's eliminating the very real problem of spousal abuse as a social issue from their superhero movies if they bring back Janet and don't bring up The Incident.

It's a problem with absolutely zero solution. You already saw it sorta with Tony's nonexistent alcoholism in the MCU, imagine that issue times a billion and that's what happens if they bring up Janet Van Dyne.

So zero times a million.

Still zero.

site posted:

If anything, they already did Janet disservice by implying she was too dumb to try something as simple as sticking the expandodisc in the regulator.

I think Hank created those for Scott?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wasn't Hank hitting Janet supposed to be an accident during his madness induced rantings? It always felt like Hank's reputation as an abusive husband stemmed more from people taking it out of context rather than because he actually is one (in 616 at least).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Roth posted:

Wasn't Hank hitting Janet supposed to be an accident during his madness induced rantings? It always felt like Hank's reputation as an abusive husband stemmed more from people taking it out of context rather than because he actually is one (in 616 at least).
More or less, the artist made it more visually striking than it was scripted. And then everyone ran with Hank Pym: Wife-Beating Scientist Has-Been.

Unless you count the Ultimate version, which took Wife-Beating to 11.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You accidentally pressed the B key at the end there.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Marvel has referenced it a few times and I feel like if they want us to forget about it they wouldn't have alternative universes where he sprays her with RAID and sends ants to terrorize her.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

On the other hand I'm not sure what about the way the Ultimate Universe played out would make you think there was a lot of line-wide long term planning going on there

and I'm saying that as someone who liked the UU better than most I think

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How about as a compromise where they bring Janet back, and Scott Lang hits his ex-wife.

Scott should hit Hank Pym. Let's address the abuse of the elderly in society.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Grem posted:

Marvel has referenced it a few times and I feel like if they want us to forget about it they wouldn't have alternative universes where he sprays her with RAID and sends ants to terrorize her.

Well Mark Millar is going to do what he does.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

If you need a reason to keep the abuse out of the movies that is tonally consistent with the comics, think about how including it would affect the film version of Janet. In the comics, Jan has long since grown past being defined by the incident. More Wasp-savvy readers might correct me, but I would argue that even in the years immediately following that issue, "abuse victim" was not one of Jan's defining characteristics. Given that Hank and Jan's hero days, and the entirety of their relationship, are long in the past, the hypothetical assault would need to be deliberately brought up and explained. Given that this explanation would necessarily be tied into Jan's first appearance on screen (barring her brief masked appearance in Ant Man,) it would be almost impossible to avoid turning that abuse into a defining trait of the character.

It's understandable to argue that leaving it out lets Hank off the hook, but given that Hank isn't a real person, and that movie Hank is not the same person as comic Hank (and also not real,) I would argue that it's less relevant than the injustice it would do to what may be the first female superhero (chronologically) of the MCU by immediately redefining her as a victim. That being said, I'm not an expert, and your mileage may vary.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toxxupation posted:

gently caress you

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

Not only that, the story that included that moment has already concluded and Hank wasn't a part of it at all.

We had an MCU story where Hank Pym fucks up fighting a wizard lady, then goes insane before his hearing and builds a mech to attack the Avengers?

Roth posted:

He gave her a black eye and then she divorced him. You can't really spin that as "not really wife beating".

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 11, 2016

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Grem posted:

This was Mark Millar's doing I take it?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Scott should hit Hank Pym. Let's address the abuse of the elderly in society.

Doesn't really work with a version of Hank who's more than happy to knock a dude on his rear end.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

X-O posted:

I was kind of hoping that Ant-Man and Wasp would be a movie about them going to the Microverse to rescue Janet. Nobody cares about the comic poo poo and if people want to write dumb think pieces about it then let them and we can all just ignore them as we should. I think not bringing in Janet would be a mistake because it's a leftover plot point that needs to be addressed.
My dumb idea was that it would be a corporate espinoge film where Lang and Hope/Hank try to stop evil organizations from tampering with technologies that could destroy/ruin the world; mainly because I want to see AIM return with MODOK.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People complain about what Iron Man 3 did to Mandarin, but its treatment of AIM was way poorer.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Easy enough to fix. AIM has always been a fractious organisation, with splinter groups almost beyond count.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

We had an MCU story where Hank Pym fucks up fighting a wizard lady, then goes insane before his hearing and builds a mech to attack the Avengers?

Did I confuse Ultron with the story where Hank hit Janet?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Did I confuse Ultron with the story where Hank hit Janet?

Yes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

He gave her a black eye and then she divorced him. You can't really spin that as "not really wife beating".

I went ahead and looked it up just to be sure, which led me to this blog post by Jim Hooter who wrote Avengers 213 where it happened.

"In that story (issue 213, I think), there is a scene in which Hank is supposed to have accidentally struck Jan while throwing his hands up in despair and frustration—making a sort of “get away from me” gesture while not looking at her. Bob Hall, who had been taught by John Buscema to always go for the most extreme action, turned that into a right cross! There was no time to have it redrawn, which, to this day has caused the tragic story of Hank Pym to be known as the “wife-beater” story."

http://jimshooter.com/2011/03/hank-pym-was-not-wife-beater.html/

I'm not trying to make the claim that he didn't hurt her, but that it was an accident on his part. I'm not exactly an expert on what qualifies as wife beating, so go ahead and correct me if accidents are a part of that (being completely genuine about that). Of course, I don't really blame Janet for divorcing him at that point anyway, regardless of the fact that it was an accident or not since he was hardly husband of the year material before then either.

I really hope I'm not coming across as trying to defend domestic abuse here, which is why I'd welcome being corrected on that if that's the case.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The art might have been an accident, but once it was done it was taken as intentional going forward.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I wasn't aware of the aftermath, as I figured it was still written as having been an accident. So I guess that's that.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 23, 2018

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

achillesforever6 posted:

My dumb idea was that it would be a corporate espinoge film where Lang and Hope/Hank try to stop evil organizations from tampering with technologies that could destroy/ruin the world; mainly because I want to see AIM return with MODOK.

I like this idea. MODOK seems like just the right level of villainy for solo Ant-Man movie. Maybe toss in how Scott sees AIM as an opportunity to find "legit" work, given his fugitive status. AIM seems like the kind of company to not shine too bright a light on someone's past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Toxxupation posted:

I don't think that, but you are fooling yourself if you don't think there will be a bunch of really overwrought, missing-the-point or the fact that the MCU isn't the 616 ill-informed and disingenuous "socially conscious" articles about how Hank hit Janet in the comics that aren't canon to a movie series with a totally different backstory and Marvel is Bad for not including it. It would absolutely, 100% happen. It would be A Thing, even moreso than #GiveCapABoyfriend, a hashtag that literally ignored characters' stated onscreen sexuality to blow up into a whole event.

And I don't think it would (or should) stop them putting Janet in a film.

• Locked thread