Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Bob A Feet posted:

Saw some guys swimming with waterproof cased today at Topsail Beach in NC and they said they saw nothing the entire time and they'd been at it for hours.

Shout out from sneads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
So around me there's a bunch of caterpies but few weedles. Can anyone confirm they have the opposite situation?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Germstore posted:

So around me there's a bunch of caterpies but few weedles. Can anyone confirm they have the opposite situation?

I have like no Caterpies and zero Weedles.

I have no idea what causes this.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Ok Im sorry for so many gym questions but I'm stumped by a different thing every time I go to a gym.

Last time I went to a Yellow Gym it just asked me what Pokemon I wanted to put inside to help defend. Then that Pokemon had the Yellow Gym mark next to it. I found another Gym, which had 4 pokemon guarding, and it let me use 6 chosen pokemon. I took the gym, and it turned into 1 level yellow (not down a level at the color it was before) with only me in it.

Then I found ANOTHER yellow gym, that had 3 defenders already. I went to add mine to the defenders and it made me try to defeat all 3 defenders with only 1 pokemon. Is there any rhyme or reason to this?

edit - Also is anyone playing in Las Vegas? Im flying there for work on Tuesday and I imagine there will be some quite different Mon's there than Urban Manhattan.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

FastestGunAlive posted:

Shout out from sneads

Anything good in the sneaky freaky? I found a lot of stuff in jacksonville and I imagine Wilmington is crawling with stuff

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Count Bleck posted:

I have like no Caterpies and zero Weedles.

I have no idea what causes this.

Yeah no Caterpies/Weedles here either. The one Caterpie I've got came from an egg.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Germstore posted:

I can confirm. I have seen 2 caterpie, and a bunch of weedles, sold a good dozen and a half in a single day of watching them spawn in my apartment complex.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
God dammit. Just found a porygon in outside Chicago union station and the app locks up.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
The gym next door has changed colors three times in ten minutes. The local kids must be going nuts.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

bows1 posted:

Ok Im sorry for so many gym questions but I'm stumped by a different thing every time I go to a gym.

Last time I went to a Yellow Gym it just asked me what Pokemon I wanted to put inside to help defend. Then that Pokemon had the Yellow Gym mark next to it. I found another Gym, which had 4 pokemon guarding, and it let me use 6 chosen pokemon. I took the gym, and it turned into 1 level yellow (not down a level at the color it was before) with only me in it.

Then I found ANOTHER yellow gym, that had 3 defenders already. I went to add mine to the defenders and it made me try to defeat all 3 defenders with only 1 pokemon. Is there any rhyme or reason to this?

edit - Also is anyone playing in Las Vegas? Im flying there for work on Tuesday and I imagine there will be some quite different Mon's there than Urban Manhattan.

Ok, if you go to an off-color gym, you fight everything in there 6vWhatever. Swipe left and right on the gym screen to see what else is actually in there.

If you go to a gym of your color, two things can happen:
1) There is an open slot and you get prompted to stick a Pokemon in there to defend it.
2) There are no open slots (or you already filled one) and you get prompted to train the gym, which will increase its prestige and eventually level if you have a big Pokemon who can win against some of theirs. Levelling opens up more slots for your team color to put Pokemon in. Also, you can go to the Shop and press a button every 21 hours to claim 10 coins + 500 dust for each gym you're currently defending, counting for up to 10 gyms.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Just caught a Caterpie in my bathroom somehow.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

http://i.imgur.com/tNHe0Tl.jpeg

Someone call pest control

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Okay, how do I use Pokestops again. Do I need to be Level 5 or something.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

bows1 posted:

You chose team yellow
The first gym was at level 2+ and had open slots in it so you could just add a pokemon to defend it.

The 2nd gym was not yellow so you were able to battle it to take it over. Rival Gym battles are your 6 pokemon vs theirs. (you can gang up and go many vs 1 with other real life players from the same team)
You were able to reduce them from level 4 to level 0 and then take it over which sets it at level 1 with only your pokemon in it.

The 3rd gym was already level 3 with 3 defenders. You can "train" your gym by fighting your 1 pokemon vs the 3 defenders and winning rounds. Every 2000 exp points equals a new gym level in which you can have more defenders.

For training you only get to choose 1 pokemon and go on a boss rush with it.
For attacking you get to choose 6 and gang up on a boss rush.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Kharmakazy posted:

Do you have a source for spawn rate info? It sounds legit, but there is a lot of bro science being passed around as gospel right now.
Ingress player for two years; "MU" (mind units) is a unit of measurement in that game which varies based on human density in an given area, data which was provided by Google (where Niantic got it's start). This game is built on the same platform and is using a lot of the same mechanics and locations, just dumbed down and cuted up. It stands to reason that spawn rate would scale to player density so that everyone gets a similar play experience. Anecdotally, a friend who's L20 has captured the bulk of his pokes (well over 500) sitting at home in a 100+ unit condo and hasn't spent a cent. I'm in a single-family neighborhood and see maybe 2-3 a day spawn naturally, if that.

bows1 posted:

It's really pretty simple. Enemy gyms have to be defeated, which is done by fighting all of the pokes over and over until the gym looses enough prestige that they all get kicked off. You get to use a lineup of 6 pokes for this. Then you can claim it, but each player can only put one poke on a gym.
Friendly gyms can't be fought, only trained. You can only use one poke at a time, and if you win the gym's prestige goes up and you get some xp. You can also place your own poke on there to help defend, if there's room; if there isn't room, it has to be trained until it levels up.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

widespread posted:

Swipe the picture to spin it and get prizes. You don't have to click the stuff to claim it either, just hit the X and move on. You only have to be L5 for gyms.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

widespread posted:

Twirl the sign

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nephzinho posted:

Has anyone tried hanging out near a hospital for chancey?

Did this yesterday while visiting someone. All they had was a ton of Paras, Venonat, and a single Pikachu that I couldn't hunt down because I'd be the biggest rear end in a top hat.

The Gym across the street had a Yellow Clefairy at CP 102. Was gonna go destroy it after. But then it was already owned by 2 people on Blue by the time I left.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Does incense work while you are walking around? I planned on using my last one while I take an evening walk with my dogs but if it doesn't do anything extra I may as well save it for when I'm sitting on my rear end.

Also I turned the battery saver on, tilted my phone to turn the save feature on and left my phone plugged into a charge and went away for 5 minutes. When I got back it went from 75% battery to 73%. Even charging and on battery saver it takes battery up.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Hi thread. I'm writing my reminders to myself here so hopefully they can help you.

Power level using lucky eggs. Save common pokemon to evolve them all at once during the 30 minute window. The evolution exp will double, which will be very nice if you also get the pokedex bonus. Also try to do this when your eggs are at 99% of their required distance. This website has a chart for how many Pidgeys you should transfer. Somebody on reddit said you can evolve around 30-40 in the 30 minute window, so no need to save up more than that.

Throw pokeballs within the circle, and a smaller circle is better. You get bonus exp this way. Start off trying to hit the big circles, and practice until you can hit the small circles.

You can get walking credit on a bike or a slow car. This game uses the GPS only, so you don't have to fake the up-down pedometer motion. Don't go much faster than 10-15 mph and you'll be good.

Power up before or after evolving, it doesn't matter, but wait until you actually want to fight a gym. No need to spend all your candies on a cp150 if you can just wait a couple days, level up, and get a cp250 to start with.

Also, think you've disconnected because you haven't seen any pokemon lately? Open the shop. If nothing loads, force quit your game and re-open it. Still nothing? Servers are borked.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Ularg posted:

Does incense work while you are walking around? I planned on using my last one while I take an evening walk with my dogs but if it doesn't do anything extra I may as well save it for when I'm sitting on my rear end.

Also I turned the battery saver on, tilted my phone to turn the save feature on and left my phone plugged into a charge and went away for 5 minutes. When I got back it went from 75% battery to 73%. Even charging and on battery saver it takes battery up.
Yes, it will follow you, and supposedly moving will increase your spawn rate over sitting still. Battery saver only darkens the screen, it leaves GPS and network on so that it can still detect pokes and movement. It's barely a battery saver in that sense. You need a better charger too though.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I learned that if you have a rare but weak 'mon you captured ten levels ago, you can power it to max trainer lvl anyways. The cost goes up on an even keel, it's just the difference of catching one stronger in the wild vs. spending mats.

I blew stardust on an experiment so y'all don't have too.

Also I noticed a lot of blue and red players keep forgetting Pokemon at the gym, so I've been helping them a lot by sending them back to their trainers.

Yella' fa lyfe.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well that was extremely disappointing. 10km bike ride, only 1.6km registered on the app and it was open all the way.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Wait a minute why the gently caress is spawn rate and poi density tied to mind units when you don't compete for poi tapping and Pokemon captures?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bizwank posted:

Yes, it will follow you, and supposedly moving will increase your spawn rate over sitting still.

It didn't make any difference for me when I tried incense while walking. But I assume it's all just location differences and so on.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Well that was extremely disappointing. 10km bike ride, only 1.6km registered on the app and it was open all the way.
Servers are constantly going up and down and the app doesn't appear to handle that very gracefully. Next time restart it every .5km to be safe.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Do we know when this is opening up in other countries, by which I mean Canada? I'm like two miles from the border so I feel like one of those kids with their face pressed against the storefront glass every time you jerks get stuff first.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
This all makes sense! Thank you. The last question would be this. So I have an 850 CP Arcanine that I was using at the Yellow Gym that had 3 people. I defeated the first two easily and almost beat the third who was a 700 CP Golbat. But because I couldnt beat all 3 with one pokemon I couldn't replace the 150 CP Weedle that was the lowest? That doesnt seem right but I Guess thats the way the cookie crumbles. This info helps a lot though thanks :)

SilverMike posted:

Ok, if you go to an off-color gym, you fight everything in there 6vWhatever. Swipe left and right on the gym screen to see what else is actually in there.

If you go to a gym of your color, two things can happen:
1) There is an open slot and you get prompted to stick a Pokemon in there to defend it.
2) There are no open slots (or you already filled one) and you get prompted to train the gym, which will increase its prestige and eventually level if you have a big Pokemon who can win against some of theirs. Levelling opens up more slots for your team color to put Pokemon in. Also, you can go to the Shop and press a button every 21 hours to claim 10 coins + 500 dust for each gym you're currently defending, counting for up to 10 gyms.

bizwank posted:

Ingress player for two years; "MU" (mind units) is a unit of measurement in that game which varies based on human density in an given area, data which was provided by Google (where Niantic got it's start). This game is built on the same platform and is using a lot of the same mechanics and locations, just dumbed down and cuted up. It stands to reason that spawn rate would scale to player density so that everyone gets a similar play experience. Anecdotally, a friend who's L20 has captured the bulk of his pokes (well over 500) sitting at home in a 100+ unit condo and hasn't spent a cent. I'm in a single-family neighborhood and see maybe 2-3 a day spawn naturally, if that.

It's really pretty simple. Enemy gyms have to be defeated, which is done by fighting all of the pokes over and over until the gym looses enough prestige that they all get kicked off. You get to use a lineup of 6 pokes for this. Then you can claim it, but each player can only put one poke on a gym.
Friendly gyms can't be fought, only trained. You can only use one poke at a time, and if you win the gym's prestige goes up and you get some xp. You can also place your own poke on there to help defend, if there's room; if there isn't room, it has to be trained until it levels up.

w00tazn posted:

You chose team yellow
The first gym was at level 2+ and had open slots in it so you could just add a pokemon to defend it.

The 2nd gym was not yellow so you were able to battle it to take it over. Rival Gym battles are your 6 pokemon vs theirs. (you can gang up and go many vs 1 with other real life players from the same team)
You were able to reduce them from level 4 to level 0 and then take it over which sets it at level 1 with only your pokemon in it.

The 3rd gym was already level 3 with 3 defenders. You can "train" your gym by fighting your 1 pokemon vs the 3 defenders and winning rounds. Every 2000 exp points equals a new gym level in which you can have more defenders.

For training you only get to choose 1 pokemon and go on a boss rush with it.
For attacking you get to choose 6 and gang up on a boss rush.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

bizwank posted:

Ingress player for two years; "MU" (mind units) is a unit of measurement in that game which varies based on human density in an given area

That's interesting if true, and it seems to fit the pattern I've been seeing. It's a mile to my nearest neighbor and nobody owned a cell phone on this street up until a few months ago. It's just farmland and a house every few miles.

I wonder if there is a map of this density I can exploit.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

https://imgur.com/a/ISYvj

No really these are great loving servers

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

CrashCat posted:

https://imgur.com/a/ISYvj

No really these are great loving servers

If you force quit the app when that happens it automatically captures the pokemon :)

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

broken clock opsec posted:

Wait a minute why the gently caress is spawn rate and poi density tied to mind units when you don't compete for poi tapping and Pokemon captures?

bizwank posted:

It stands to reason that spawn rate would scale to player density so that everyone gets a similar play experience.
poi?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kharmakazy posted:

I wonder if there is a map of this density I can exploit.
Yeah it's at ingress.com/intel but be warned it runs like poo poo even if you put in the addon userscript to unfuck it

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
i wanted to find my first stop and gym today but it appears i don't have any in my country bum town

gently caress a mon

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
God I hope they re-design fighting, this frantic tapping poo poo is distinctly not pokemon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bows1 posted:

If you force quit the app when that happens it automatically captures the pokemon :)

No it doesn't, if the capture would have succeeded it gives it to you, if it would have failed it disappears. Everything in this game is server side, you force quitting doesn't do a thing.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

CrashCat posted:

Yeah it's at ingress.com/intel but be warned it runs like poo poo even if you put in the addon userscript to unfuck it
The addon is called IITC, but this only shows Ingress portals, it won't show you which ones are stops or gyms. It also won't show you MU density, but figuring that out is a simple rule of thumb: human density. There is a plugin that can show Pokedata but it's all user-contributed so there's lots of gaps.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I think a nearby town has a pychic infestation

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Knifegrab posted:

God I hope they re-design fighting, this frantic tapping poo poo is distinctly not pokemon.

You never spammed the A button to make your attacks do more damage in Pokemon?

I'm kinda not okay with how much this game wants me to walk into the woods. This is how I walk into every spider web imaginable and piss off a snake or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Bottom Liner posted:

No it doesn't, if the capture would have succeeded it gives it to you, if it would have failed it disappears. Everything in this game is server side, you force quitting doesn't do a thing.

Well I guess Ive been lucky that every time mine failed I captured it !

• Locked thread