Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garland336
Feb 26, 2013

Scintilla posted:

Given the tech they've displayed so far I'd be very surprised if the NRWR didn't have HarJel.

Edit: I guess the Clans might also roll up with it, given how water-heavy the map is. And while infantry and regular Elementals might not appear, it might be worth keeping an eye out for Undines...

Thought that Harjel was something specific to clans because of some magic mystery material only found on the pentagon worlds fluff or some other nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Endomorphic posted:

All the light blue is -1 elevation and the darker blue is -2, right? So unless there are special map rules like "haha that that's extra muddy water with swamp underneath and takes an extra MP to walk or turn" then it might be a good map to be a slightly undersinked energy weapons platform.

Which would be the clans, because we're all tooled up for the shanking and the skewering. But yeah, that Thumper LRM is going to be a good time.

The only way that helps is if you have leg heatsinks, and since IS Doubles don't fit in the legs, that doesn't do a great deal!

(Although, PTN DID say that one of the new player 'Mechs had single heat sinks...)

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Scintilla posted:

Given the tech they've displayed so far I'd be very surprised if the NRWR didn't have HarJel.

Edit: I guess the Clans might also roll up with it, given how water-heavy the map is. And while infantry and regular Elementals might not appear, it might be worth keeping an eye out for Undines...

I don't think Hargel is something modular. The Clans would have needed to build a 'Mech specifically to incorperate it, and the Clans seem to hate 'Mechs that are specialized to only function in one specific terrain. They're far more likely to roll in with their usual 'Mechs and just try and brute force the scenario, then fall back on some sort of gimmick 'Mech to give them an edge.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Can you lay Thunder mines in water? If so, surprise leg damage in water hexes is... pretty good.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

The only way that helps is if you have leg heatsinks, and since IS Doubles don't fit in the legs, that doesn't do a great deal!

(Although, PTN DID say that one of the new player 'Mechs had single heat sinks...)

I can't reveal one without revealing the existence of the other.

raverrn posted:

Can you lay Thunder mines in water? If so, surprise leg damage in water hexes is... pretty good.

Yes

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Do the NRW Thunder-LRMs come with IFF? Might be good enough to know in advance. And it would certainly be info other Demon Hawks would get from their employer.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
It's amazing how far the maps and writeups have come since the first mission.

Sprites which reflect weapon loadouts, movement lines, raptor pens, actual buildings, a dozen different layers of art and information.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Battle fists are cool.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yesss hunchbacks own

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I take it the Imp Reactive Armor doesn't have a random chance to all just pop off at once because someone shot it with a small laser, got a Through-Armor Crit, suddenly stripped your 'Mech naked.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rorahusky posted:

I take it the Imp Reactive Armor doesn't have a random chance to all just pop off at once because someone shot it with a small laser, got a Through-Armor Crit, suddenly stripped your 'Mech naked.

I've never liked that drawback. It's slightly more vulnerable to armor penetrating effects like APAC ammo and lance hits instead. Completely negates Tandem Charge though.

Neither of which are things the Clans use.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rock them and sock them.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

All this getting ready for another round of battletech has started giving me an itch to play Mechwarrior 4 again, but I found recently that it's pretty much impossible to play in Windows 10. :negative:

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Ooooh, Hunchbacks have long been one of my favorite 'mechs and those are two drat juicy ones. That reactive armor is a great choice for this mission because Clan missile bullshit boats tend to be some of their scariest 'mechs! Not to mention one is packing an HGR and other an LBX-20 so they support each other almost perfectly.

Also I think this is gonna be our first "defensive" mission of the the campaign so far. What kinda traps/support do you all think Amaris is packing for us? Someone mentioned they were worried about clans bringing Undines and while I don't think that's likely it's mostly because I think Amaris might be the one to bring some kind of evil swamp dog BA. The Demon Hawks are basically the ultimate bait at this point so I imagine whatever surprise he has in mind are gonna be equally hilarious.

raverrn posted:

Even better - push clanners off bridges into mined water hexes! It's a very good thing the Steel Vipers aren't here to contest the physical dominance of Goonlance.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That is a beautiful machine and I'm sure the NRWR designer that signed off on it was lamenting the non-existence of ER Pulse PPCs in the margins.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Targeting computer on the Screamer...that's a game changer.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I know it's amazing awesome for us to see machines like that fielded by the players but holy hell it must be frustrating for PTN to make them all and then have to take the field against them haha.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The NRWR really knows how to make a Merc Company feel pampered - these are some amazing 'Mechs.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

I know it's amazing awesome for us to see machines like that fielded by the players but holy hell it must be frustrating for PTN to make them all and then have to take the field against them haha.

You say that as if he's not going to pull out some clan super weapons.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Haha, yeah like the Screamer really needed a Tarcomp. That's a friendship ending 'Mech right there. I'm not sure if the Laser AMS is brilliant or entirely unnecessary.

EDIT: I also like the fact that switching to an entirely different method of piloting 'mechs with a couple days of training and Jason Youngblood is still better at piloting 'Mechs than most IS Mechwarriors.

Picard Day fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 10, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PAL interface? I hope Jason can read French! :v:

(I know it's for the light power armor.)

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Picard Day posted:

Haha, yeah like the Screamer really needed a Tarcomp. That's a friendship ending 'Mech right there. I'm not sure if the Laser AMS is brilliant or entirely unnecessary.

EDIT: I also like the fact that switching to an entirely different method of piloting 'mechs with a couple days of training and Jason Youngblood is still better at piloting 'Mechs than most IS Mechwarriors.

Clan Scum deserves no better.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

As a reminder, Uncle Stevie set up us with what we thought were some pretty nice machines last time too. We came out of that one pretty good, but we had a lot of luck on our side.

We should be terrified that we're getting such nice toys for this. We don't have to worry about infantry or elementals, but that still leaves Aerospace assets to screw with us, in addition to whatever crazy rear end mechs the Clans are sending at us.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

I'd like to point out that Goonlance is getting more Tar-comps than ever on a map where specifically blowing out a 'mechs leg armor makes entering half the hexes on the map instant mission kills. Some smart shots and good positioning + some clever mine placement could make this straight up nightmarish for the clans. With a little bit of luck and patient/devious play this should basically end up being 'Nam but for battlemechs. I'm hoping we get a redux from Caldera and the Coyote starts hidden in one of the pools so I can cackle madly while Goonlance gets to be the one who emerges and scare the poo poo out of the clanners.

garland336 posted:

Thought that Harjel was something specific to clans because of some magic mystery material only found on the pentagon worlds fluff or some other nonsense

I think the Inner Sphere clans (particularly Sea Fox) must have found some source in the canon timeline due to Harjel II & III Repair Systems for 'Mechs coming about well after the Wars of Reaving.

Also - PTN: Did you take the Poor Plasma Focusing quirk off the unit cards because we've basically figured out how Republic ERPPC's work and don't need it cluttering stuff up anymore?

Gwaihir posted:

Are you kidding? Can you imagine any other way to justify "Yeah, I'll roll a Hellstar on my team." It's really the only fair way to get some of the serious clan bullshit designs on the table without the game getting real blah

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Minor wet blanket - if this is what our side is getting, consider that the opposition is likely going to be strong enough to make this an at least equal fight. Then think about what kind of bullshit the Clans are likely to pull out.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tempest_56 posted:

Minor wet blanket - if this is what our side is getting, consider that the opposition is likely going to be strong enough to make this an at least equal fight. Then think about what kind of bullshit the Clans are likely to pull out.

There could just be a lot of them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

wiegieman posted:

There could just be a lot of them.

Or it could be like last mission, when the Clans had bullshit and there were a lot of them!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Picard Day posted:

Also - PTN: Did you take the Poor Plasma Focusing quirk off the unit cards because we've basically figured out how Republic ERPPC's work and don't need it cluttering stuff up anymore?

You know how it works, but mostly I just forgot it. Thanks for the catch.

Fun fact: Targeting computer eliminates the miss chance of the plasma arc.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

You know how it works, but mostly I just forgot it. Thanks for the catch.

Fun fact: Targeting computer eliminates the miss chance of the plasma arc.

Good news everyone! I figured out how to program our computers to REDIRECT LIGHTNING! :science:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nah, just to pick out the technobabblies in the magnetic containment field.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Please don't fix the Repubic PPC it makes it like youngblood is jizzing megavolts

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

sebmojo posted:

Please don't fix the Repubic PPC it makes it like youngblood is jizzing megavolts

It's still going to scatter, it just won't scatter in to a miss.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

sebmojo posted:

It still does, but in this case the money shots are perfect.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Yisss the 9Q is my favorite Awesome and that is a worthy successor! Prepare to die clanlords!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
We got our Hellstar MK. II.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

:iia:

What does Distracting do as a quirk? I initially fiugred it meant they drew aggro or something, but then that wouldn't be a positive quirk.

So happy we got our Awesome back. :hellyeah:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

And enough double heatsinks to fire everything forever...It should get a unique quirk that adds +1 to all attack made against it if it standing in water, just from the amount of steam it generates from venting all that heat. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

What does Distracting do as a quirk? I initially fiugred it meant they drew aggro or something, but then that wouldn't be a positive quirk.

Makes bad pilots likely to run away from it when the Morale rules are in effect. Basically it's a "gently caress off, Locusts, I'm busy and you don't want me to pay attention to you" ability.

• Locked thread