Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chev posted:

This has been regularly wrong for most cases of fan projects being shut down in the past. Profit isn't a factor.

No it isn't. Most of the big "they shut down our project!!!" stuff came from the developers either imploding and trying to blame it on a fake C&D or it was revealed afterwards they were attempting to turn a profit off it. Like the infamous Chrono Trigger 3D remake turned out to be "we're remaking select scenes of the game in order to promote our engine" stuff. Alternately it involves them doing a translation or fan project when an official one is coming out (like the Final Fantasy Type-0 one.)

There are only a handful of high-profile fan project shutdowns period and the bulk of those have some sort of drama behind them rather than just mean companies trying to shut down people for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

voltcatfish posted:

b..but...project m

I think there was some drama in the dev group that led to that project being shut down.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

At the very least I know Project M's official statement of "We're satisfied with it and want to move on to develop bigger and better things!" is complete bullshit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
From what I gather, Nintendo didn't explicitly tell them to stop but they did say "y'know if you keep playing this poo poo at the events we sponsor, someone will eventually tell us to make you stop" and the devs were already looking for an excuse to quit so they did.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Didn't Nintendo go after TASes and any sort of gameplay they deemed unsuitable on Nico and YT? I don't exactly count them as an impartial judge on the whole issue of where they point their efforts.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Zaggitz posted:

Hey so Project AM2R apparently releases next month http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/09/metroid-ii-fan-remake-project-am2r-releasing-soon/

been following this poo poo for drat near a decade now so I'm pretty stoked.

I just googled AM2R for no particular reason and saw this yesterday. Really excited to play Metroid 2 again - there's a good game in there just buried in some poor level design.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Didn't Nintendo go after TASes and any sort of gameplay they deemed unsuitable on Nico and YT? I don't exactly count them as an impartial judge on the whole issue of where they point their efforts.

Only on monetized channels.
They aren't quite as stupid as "Get positive reviews of our our games removed for copyright reasons" Sega.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo put out an explicit "we're okay with derivative works" directive a year or so ago but that doesn't mean they won't change their mind on a whim, or that they'll make any effort to keep their automatic flagging system from loving with people for no reason.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/436603/Bloodstained+is+heading+into+full+production/

quote:

Bloodstained is "heading into full production"

Igarashi says key designs, concept arts and overall sandbox are much all locked in place.

Igarashi also mentioned that while he is completely focused on making the game as good as possible, there has been interest from external parties in expanding the IP.

"On a daily basis I get a lot of different production companies, from movies to manga to anime, that approach me saying that this IP has a lot of potential. And so as any creator out there who has created a new IP żou really want to expand it and see just how robust you can make it. So I constantly think of trying to partner with those sort of people to try and increase what the world of Bloodstained is."

Igarashi did confirm that they target is still to release the game in March next year.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Adam Bowen posted:

I just googled AM2R for no particular reason and saw this yesterday. Really excited to play Metroid 2 again - there's a good game in there just buried in some poor level design.

The cool thing about this dude is that he actually gets tester with a wide range of skill so it shouldn't be rear end reaming hard like most fan games.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

BexGu posted:

The cool thing about this dude is that he actually gets tester with a wide range of skill so it shouldn't be rear end reaming hard like most fan games.

I hope so. I remember having to go on the forums a bit ago and argue with people who wanted beam stacking to make shots go slower.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tonight my buddy told me that Bloodstained is only coming out for PS4 and Xbone. When I corrected him he said that's what it said in Game Informer. :negative:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

More like Game Misinformer, am I rite?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Inexperience! There you go! Inexperience damnit!

e: This is my third time playing OoE and I've never figured out how to dodge Barlowe's electric orb attack. Can you even?

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 25, 2016

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

multijoe posted:

Inexperience! There you go! Inexperience damnit!

e: This is my third time playing OoE and I've never figured out how to dodge Barlowe's electric orb attack. Can you even?

Double jump in the corner, then kick down and slide.

I fight him and get the medal in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYVblS-GCDw

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Double jump in the corner, then kick down and slide.

I fight him and get the medal in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYVblS-GCDw

Sweet video. Dive kicking between the fireballs kinda seems like showboating when you can just jump between them at long range, but I appreciate the effort. I flicked ahead to your Dracula video too and oh my god I never knew you could block his bat beam with Scutum, that fight just got a million percent easier.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Scutum is secretly incredible for certain fights

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hivac posted:

Scutum is secretly incredible for certain fights

initially read that as scrotum

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

multijoe posted:

Sweet video. Dive kicking between the fireballs kinda seems like showboating when you can just jump between them at long range, but I appreciate the effort. I flicked ahead to your Dracula video too and oh my god I never knew you could block his bat beam with Scutum, that fight just got a million percent easier.

Yeah, there are spots on each side of dracula that Albus can crouch at to avoid the bats but Shanoa can be completely safe with scutum + melio scutum.

Scutum blocks his destruction ray as well.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 26, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Someone said it before, months ago, but OoE's Dracula is great because his final form is Dracula GOING 3D :kingsley:

Although you could argue that Shanoa, relative to a proper Belmont, can't do poo poo against Dracula even though she's a huge badass in her own right because he never transforms into a monster and at the end of the fight he's all like "wtf is this are you even trying?"

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dracula just got tired of buying a new suit after every transformation. It's not like it ever helped him anyway.

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug

Zereth posted:

hee hee hee thank you!

In case noone else has posted this yet, have a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPsQnsOHflc

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's not strictly CV-related but I thought people might like to know that Maldita Castilla EX, an expanded version of Locamalito's freeware arcade-action game Maldita Castilla, is now available on XB1. The EX version adds a couple new levels and some other features like a bestiary but it's mostly very similar to the PC version, and it'll be coming to other platforms eventually so you should hopefully be able to play it on everything before long. Get it (or at least try the PC version), it's a good game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not strictly CV-related but I thought people might like to know that Maldita Castilla EX, an expanded version of Locamalito's freeware arcade-action game Maldita Castilla, is now available on XB1. The EX version adds a couple new levels and some other features like a bestiary but it's mostly very similar to the PC version, and it'll be coming to other platforms eventually so you should hopefully be able to play it on everything before long. Get it (or at least try the PC version), it's a good game.

I'm glad he's getting money for some of his poo poo now. Looking forward to purchasing that when it ends up on a platform I own.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/369070/announcements/detail/887592138582233797
Looks like they're trying to fix Slain a bit. I remember people here mentioned how crap it was at the time of release, and I kept reading terrible reviews about it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Gologle posted:

Someone said it before, months ago, but OoE's Dracula is great because his final form is Dracula GOING 3D :kingsley:

Although you could argue that Shanoa, relative to a proper Belmont, can't do poo poo against Dracula even though she's a huge badass in her own right because he never transforms into a monster and at the end of the fight he's all like "wtf is this are you even trying?"
Nah Shanoa should be proud that Dracula actually bothered to get off his rear end and actually walk around to fight her. None of the Belmonts can claim that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Maleh-Vor posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/369070/announcements/detail/887592138582233797
Looks like they're trying to fix Slain a bit. I remember people here mentioned how crap it was at the time of release, and I kept reading terrible reviews about it.

I can't imagine they'll ever fix that game to the point where it's genuinely fun but props to them for not just dropping the game, I suppose.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I too am glad he's getting money off of this, and I hope he gets money in the more CV-Related game, Curse of Issyos.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Not Castlevania but the remake of Metroid 2 is finished and just in time for metriods 30th anniversary :neckbeard:

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Not Castlevania but the remake of Metroid 2 is finished and just in time for metriods 30th anniversary :neckbeard:

Nice! At least fans will keep Metroid alive.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I haven't played a game in a few weeks but this might pull me back in. Anyone give it a try yet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Social Animal posted:

I haven't played a game in a few weeks but this might pull me back in. Anyone give it a try yet?

I finished it. It's extremely good. Lots of great little changes and modernizations and it is just plain fun to play. The worst thing I can say is that it kinda runs out of steam towards the end but not in a way that is anything more than a minor disappointment.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I finished it. It's extremely good. Lots of great little changes and modernizations and it is just plain fun to play. The worst thing I can say is that it kinda runs out of steam towards the end but not in a way that is anything more than a minor disappointment.

Yeah, the end suffers a bit for being basically the same fight 4 times in a row before the final boss but other than that, the game was fun. I dunno if I'd play it all the way through again any time soon, though.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I replayed through SotN over the last couple of weeks and the inverted castle is kinda trash, huh? Touches like fighting clones of Alucard's CV3 pals are nice, but a lot of the areas don't really flow very well flipped and the balance is all over the place.

Uncle Wemus posted:

This is rad. I couldn't get into Metroid 2 when I tried to play it a couple of years back because the lack of map and greyscale environments all looking the same meant I couldn't really navigate it without getting lost all the time but I've been having a blast with this today. Something to finally put the game alongside Zero Mission and Super.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Box of Bunnies posted:

I replayed through SotN over the last couple of weeks and the inverted castle is kinda trash, huh? Touches like fighting clones of Alucard's CV3 pals are nice, but a lot of the areas don't really flow very well flipped and the balance is all over the place.

Yeah. I like all of the enemies and bosses they introduce in the Inverted Castle, but unfortunately the level design is the product of lack of development time and assets. Don't get me wrong, I'd still prefer having the Inverted Castle in the game over nothing due to the cool enemies and weapons that part introduces, but the issues with paths and being forced to rely on the bat form, awkward jumps, and awkward super jumps is a detriment to the game as a whole.

SotN is a great game and it's kind of a testament to its legacy that as awkward as the Inverted Castle is, it doesn't detract much from the game as a whole.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

This is rad. I couldn't get into Metroid 2 when I tried to play it a couple of years back because the lack of map and greyscale environments all looking the same meant I couldn't really navigate it without getting lost all the time but I've been having a blast with this today. Something to finally put the game alongside Zero Mission and Super.

I never played 2 before i didn't get into metroid until prime and fusion. Goddamn though im having a blast with all the exploring and backtracking though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like how all of the audio files are right out there in the open as .ogg's, I bet some enterprising individual will drum up some mods to put in like the original GB tunes or something.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Nate RFB posted:

the original GB tunes
Good one :cawg: Hoping to play it some time this week, II has always been towards the top of my list for just how lonely and un-game-like it feels. Been waiting for the C&D to land and am shocked it got a full release.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The ice beam doesn't freeze enemies in place so you can stand on them, they fall ? Or float if underwater?

What... what is... I don't understand... :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Also goddamn the sound effects and impact of weapons like missiles and power bombs is so satisfying to use.