Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
So if I understand correctly, if I upgrade my HDD on my laptop which shipped with W8, I won't be able to to upgrade to W10 unless I buy and setu p the drive by the end of the month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Thom ZombieForm posted:

So if I understand correctly, if I upgrade my HDD on my laptop which shipped with W8, I won't be able to to upgrade to W10 unless I buy and setu p the drive by the end of the month?
You can upgrade to 10 now and swap in the drive after the deadline and even do a full reinstall. You can even upgrade now, roll back and it will still work like that.

Basically the motherboard needs to have gone through the update before the deadline, otherwise you won't get to 10 for free. Swapping the drive doesn't count as a major hardware change, luckily.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Since Windows 10 creates an Administrator account by default, and my user account has admin privileges (with UAC left at default settings), is it a minefield to create a separate admin account and switch my own to a standard user? Is it likely to gently caress everything up in ways that make me wish I never bothered?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Tab8715 posted:

This application scales correctly but others don't. Outlook, Visual Studio, Powershell ISE will have fuzzy text.

Powershell ISE, VS2012, VS2013, and VS2015; I don't have Outlook on this PC to open and check. I'm not seeing what you're talking about with fuzzy text. There are blurred toolbar icons in VS2012 and the ISE (which I can forgive for VS2012 because it was made before high DPI displays on Windows was really expected to be a reality, but it's shameful for the ISE as a newer application) but the text itself is fine.

VS2012 also has some dialogs that render weird at high DPI.

This is also at 200%, and I know a lot of new behaviors kick in at that level. It may be that 150% doesn't scale nearly as well.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 10, 2016

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Does text seem slightly more blurry in Windows 10 compared to 7? At the standard 100% scaling and default ClearType settings, same hardware and general setup as with Windows 7, it looks like more smoothing/anti-aliasing has been applied to text to the point where it looks very slightly blurred. I tried going through the ClearType wizard, too, but the default settings seem to be about as good as it gets.

I sort of noticed weird-looking text when working on family members' computers before, but that seemed like a weird combination of blur and extra pixelation or something. I just moved my own PC over last night and text just looks generally more blurry than usual. I should probably get my eyes and glasses checked again.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

biznatchio posted:

This is also at 200%, and I know a lot of new behaviors kick in at that level. It may be that 150% doesn't scale nearly as well.

Default on my 15.6" 1920x1080 is 125% and it's hilariously bad with a lot of stuff. Thankfully, not enough stuff that it's a dealbreaker, but it gets pretty bad at times.

e; Compare window title w/ content.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 10, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

biznatchio posted:

Powershell ISE, VS2012, VS2013, and VS2015; I don't have Outlook on this PC to open and check. I'm not seeing what you're talking about with fuzzy text. There are blurred toolbar icons in VS2012 and the ISE (which I can forgive for VS2012 because it was made before high DPI displays on Windows was really expected to be a reality, but it's shameful for the ISE as a newer application) but the text itself is fine.

VS2012 also has some dialogs that render weird at high DPI.

I'd post a follow-up screenshot but I don't have a place to connect my Surface Pro 4 into at home. Essentially, if you have an application on the Primary HiDPi Display everything looks fine until you move it over to a monitor that's normal DPI.

Effected Applications
- Skype for Business (Not blurry but the UI Elements don't scale correctly)
- Outlook (Fuzzy Text)
- VS (Fuzzy Text)
- Powershell ISE (Fuzzy Text)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

What's fun is it is basically impossible to get checkboxes to resize their actual box when the DPI settings have changed, or when moving between monitors. (Or at least the things I tried didn't work, besides destroying and recreating the drat control)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

baka kaba posted:

Since Windows 10 creates an Administrator account by default, and my user account has admin privileges (with UAC left at default settings), is it a minefield to create a separate admin account and switch my own to a standard user? Is it likely to gently caress everything up in ways that make me wish I never bothered?
I do this on all my computers and it works fine. For every regular uac prompt, you're going to be asked for the admin password instead, obviously. And very occasionally, you'll bump into software that won't install properly unless you actually log in as admin. That's because the guys who wrote it suck, not because the system doesn't work properly. It has got to be said that most things I encountered that fail to work properly were written by someone at Microsoft. Like the media creation tool for Windows 10.

If the way you use your computer doesn't involve installing software all the time, or digging through protected folders, it's a good way to go.

e: By all means, just do it. It's easy enough to reverse.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Lowtechs posted:

Well just got updated to a new build and no text on the bottom right corner with a build number so I guess MS decided to stop that showing.

There was a blog post announcement about it. I was being sarcastic because apparently there are people running fast ring that don't read the blog posts. Craziness.

WorkingStiff posted:

Please hear my tale of Win10 on MacBook Pro installation woes.

So after creating the Windows 10 media in Bootcamp and trying to install to the unallocated space, I'm getting a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (igdkmd64.sys) and get stuck in a reboot loop. I know this is an intel display driver issue, but I'm at a loss on how to proceed with the install. This is a 2013 Mac using the intel 4000. Anyone who has successfully done this have any advice?

What stage of the installation is this, and did you let Bootcamp Assistant load in Apples drivers when you made the ISO?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WorkingStiff posted:

Anyone know of a way to have 10 not install the offending video driver during install? Also, is there a newer .iso available than the one the media creation tool churns out? I just compared them, and it's the same install file from last year that I initially used on another PC...

Download a fresh copy of the Media Creation Tool. It's got all the updates for version 1511 up to April 2016 included.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So it finally finished installing on the desktop and it's...not completely awful?

I mean, there was a bunch of minor shittiness, since after the upgrade I had to:
- manually install drivers for GPU and gamepad (but this is still way less driver fuckery than needed for a clean install of win7, so I guess that's a point in the upgrader's favour)
- manually uninstall drivers for the printer that it found on the network
- edit the registry to enable the dark theme (and then reboot, wtf)
- uninstall a bunch of useless bullshit like the twitter client and Candy Crush that came preinstalled for some reason
- use the GPO editor to disable OneDrive and its constant nagging, because apparently it can't be uninstalled (for added fun, right-click->uninstall takes you to the old version of Add/Remove Programs; neither that nor the new version even has it in the list)

On the plus side, it's nice that it has a dark theme built in (even if enabling it is a pain), right-click->uninstall is pretty great when it works (although it's a shame win10 comes bundled with so much crap that I've used it a lot already), my games appear to still be working, sshd is still running, all my files are where I left them, and nothing caught fire.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ToxicFrog posted:

all my files are where I left them

:banjo:

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

There was a blog post announcement about it. I was being sarcastic because apparently there are people running fast ring that don't read the blog posts. Craziness.

What stage of the installation is this, and did you let Bootcamp Assistant load in Apples drivers when you made the ISO?

It is occurring late in the install after asking for the language and license key - it never reaches a functional OS. I have tried it both with the Boot Camp drivers and without.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Download a fresh copy of the Media Creation Tool. It's got all the updates for version 1511 up to April 2016 included.

Huh, I guess that's what I get for assuming the the media creation tool would just grab the newest .iso. I'll re-download it and see.

Thanks guys. Very frustrating.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Factor Mystic posted:

drat you blogs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsbYx6hevoQ

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Flipperwaldt posted:

If the way you use your computer doesn't involve installing software all the time, or digging through protected folders, it's a good way to go.

e: By all means, just do it. It's easy enough to reverse.

Yeah it's more about not wanting everything to suddenly break because it was installed under a more privileged account, and I reaaaally don't want to have to start over. But I feel like it's bad news to run with an admin account (even if it's the default) these days?

If everything's well behaved in general when you switch then I might actually get around to it, thanks!

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Tab8715 posted:

Essentially, if you have an application on the Primary HiDPi Display everything looks fine until you move it over to a monitor that's normal DPI.

Oh, yeah that I've definitely seen. I think it happens because High DPI forces the text rendering to be the non-Windows style of unhinted, truer to the font's letter forms, since that's what works better at high resolution; and in order to preserve the overall metrics of the window it has to continue using that style when you move the window to a low DPI screen.

Blame Windows' history of using heavily hinted fonts to make them look good at 96 DPI for that, I suppose.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Edit: nvm, just needed some patience :)

ASIC v Danny Bro fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 11, 2016

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I am kind of unnerved that it felt the need to tell me that, in huge text, against a gently pulsing blue background, for five minutes before it would let me log in.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

- edit the registry to enable the dark theme (and then reboot, wtf)
Current release version doesn't have dark theme so what did you expect?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MikusR posted:

Current release version doesn't have dark theme so what did you expect?

A token effort to catch up to where GTK and Qt have been for over a decade?

I mean, having to edit the registry to enable not-officially-available features makes sense, although I hope that at some point they officially release this. Having to reboot to then apply those changes is what surprised me.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can upgrade to 10 now and swap in the drive after the deadline and even do a full reinstall. You can even upgrade now, roll back and it will still work like that.

Basically the motherboard needs to have gone through the update before the deadline, otherwise you won't get to 10 for free. Swapping the drive doesn't count as a major hardware change, luckily.

Thank you for the excellent advice.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

There hasn't been any change regarding not keeping your "license" when you change motherboards after getting the free copy of 10, right? I figure eventually Intel will release a CPU that's an actual upgrade to mine and I'll need to change mobo/CPU/RAM, and at this point it looks like I'll need to add the cost of a 10 key too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr E posted:

There hasn't been any change regarding not keeping your "license" when you change motherboards after getting the free copy of 10, right? I figure eventually Intel will release a CPU that's an actual upgrade to mine and I'll need to change mobo/CPU/RAM, and at this point it looks like I'll need to add the cost of a 10 key too.

Yeah don't expect them to allow you to change to a straight up new motherboard. Just keep an eye out for cheap deals on an actual Windows 10 license over the next however long until you want a new system.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had a motherboard go bust and couldn't get my Windows key to activate with the replacement. Called em up and they sorted me out. I'm guessing you can do the same with Windows 10, they really don't give a poo poo.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Goosing a phone activation has always been a Windows licensing trick for home users and is probably not dependable as either Plan A for your home needs or an example on an internet forum on how tough / lax Win10 licensing is / isn't.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GreenNight posted:

I had a motherboard go bust and couldn't get my Windows key to activate with the replacement. Called em up and they sorted me out. I'm guessing you can do the same with Windows 10, they really don't give a poo poo.

You have an actual key for your older version of Windows, which is why you can do that. When you do the Windows 10 free upgrade, you don't get an actual key, Microsoft just stores details of your hardware which is checked against for activation. As a result you can't do the thing where you tell them your key and they go through a process to authorize it for the new hardware - because you won't get a Windows 10 key unless you buy it (or buy a new computer that comes with Windows 10).

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm trying to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 but I am stuck on downloading. In Windows Update, it just stays at 0% complete.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm trying to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 but I am stuck on downloading. In Windows Update, it just stays at 0% complete.

It will analyze and do windows poo poo for quite a while.
You should see a hidden folder on C: though, something like $WINDOWS.~BT where it's working and downloading a few GB to.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

clockworkjoe posted:

Sometimes it'll take forever to go through Windows Update directly. You might be able to get it faster by downloading the installer from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
My main PC is still on Windows 7. I've got a Firewire audio interface attached to it for which there are no drivers beyond Windows 7 available on the manufacturer's website. I've tried installing the Windows 7 drivers on a Windows 8 laptop in the past, and iirc the installer just exited straight away, saying it was the wrong version of Windows.

However, I know the interface can work on W10, because I've got another machine in the house, that's been upgraded from W7 to W10, and the interface had previously been used on while it was on W7, and I just checked and the interface works just fine on it on W10.

I've got an SSD on the way, on to which I'm planning to do a clean install of W10 for my main machine. Obviously, I still want to be able to use my interface, so the question is - when I've done a clean install of W10, how do I trick the W7 drivers into installing? There must be a way to do this, right? Some sort of compatibility mode I can run the installer in or something like that?

chippy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 12, 2016

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

chippy posted:

My main PC is still on Windows 7. I've got a Firewire audio interface attached to it for which there are no drivers beyond Windows 7 available on the manufacturer's website. I've tried installing the Windows 7 drivers on a Windows 8 laptop in the past, and iirc the installer just exited straight away, saying it was the wrong version of Windows.

However, I know the interface can work on W10, because I've got another machine in the house, that's been upgraded from W7 to W10, and the interface had previously been used on while it was on W7, and I just checked and the interface works just fine on it on W10.

I've got an SSD on the way, on to which I'm planning to do a clean install of W10 for my main machine. Obviously, I still want to be able to use my interface, so the question is - when I've done a clean install of W10, how do I trick the W7 drivers into installing? There must be a way to do this, right? Some sort of compatibility mode I can run the installer in or something like that?

My first guess without doing any googling or whatever is to go to either see if the installer is just an extractable archive of some sorts and grab the files from it so Windows can sort it out.
My second guess is to go to the device manager and look at the driver details so you can copy the files listed there into a folder and let the Windows 10 hardware installation wizard look in there for device drivers.

Alternately, look at the driver details on the Windows 10 machine it works on and copy those files to a folder for the new install to look at.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Geemer posted:

My first guess without doing any googling or whatever is to go to either see if the installer is just an extractable archive of some sorts and grab the files from it so Windows can sort it out.
My second guess is to go to the device manager and look at the driver details so you can copy the files listed there into a folder and let the Windows 10 hardware installation wizard look in there for device drivers.

Alternately, look at the driver details on the Windows 10 machine it works on and copy those files to a folder for the new install to look at.

Another option would be to uninstall the drivers on the Win7, reinstall the drivers and after that go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore and sort by newest first. Copy the new directories to the Win10 machine and install them using pnputil.exe.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

sauer kraut posted:

It will analyze and do windows poo poo for quite a while.
You should see a hidden folder on C: though, something like $WINDOWS.~BT where it's working and downloading a few GB to.

Okay it finally went ahead and I've upgraded. Mostly smooth so far, but my wifi adapter is a TP LINK WDN4200 which is not fully compatiable with Windows 10 apparently. I can connect to my 5g router but it disconnects every once in a while.

Are there wifi usb adapters out there fully compatible with windows 10?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I had a netgear one, which worked fine but only connected at 802.11n speeds. Currently, I have an Intel AC 7260 (pci card) which works great, but I can't for the life of me get the bluetooth component working under Windows 10. Internet speeds are great though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chippy posted:

There is really no reason to do a clean install - just do a standard upgrade install. This will be the easiest way to ensure the firewire interface remains working. Clone your Windows 7 install from the hard drive to the new SSD, make it bootable again, and then upgrade from there.

But if you insist on doing a clean install, this utility might work - what it does is attempt to take all drivers currently installed to your Windows machine and makes them into the neccesary things to directly reinstall on a new system: http://www.grandutils.com/DriverExtractor/

The issue it is, it costs $20 to do every kind of driver out there, so it might not get what you want in the free version. There's some other similar program out there that is free, but you have to hunt around for a working download because the official download links no longer work.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Man MS is getting aggressive about the upgrades on the fast insider builds. Just upgraded again since last weekend so anniversary build likely being pushed out very soon.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

chippy posted:

Some sort of compatibility mode I can run the installer in or something like that?
Have you tried literal, actual Compatibility Mode? Right click the installer and tell it to run as if it were Windows 7?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I found a solution from this page http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?81758-wdn4200-windows-10-drivers

However, now every time I reboot, it takes forever to load up. I keep getting stuck on the white circle screen. I am uninstalling and reinstalling the geforec display drivers but i have to reboot for every component I uninstall. I've also disabled fast startup. Anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

fishmech posted:

There is really no reason to do a clean install - just do a standard upgrade install. This will be the easiest way to ensure the firewire interface remains working. Clone your Windows 7 install from the hard drive to the new SSD, make it bootable again, and then upgrade from there.

I kind of want to do one - my Windows 7 install is a few years old with a lot of crap installed that I don't really need any more and can't be arsed to sort through, so I'm happy to get a fresh start. I'll bear that in mind though if I have trouble, thanks.

Lots of good advice here so hopefully one of these methods will work, thanks very much everyone.