Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That's the new bug UFO3P's author, Arthmoor, is up in a tizzy about! You likely have to start a new play-through, because that bug isn't exactly fixed/fixable/understood yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Seashell Salesman posted:

Yeah kind of agreed on this. At the start of the game the need for sleep, food, water, etc. and the no fast travel or saving make the game much more exciting and challenging but by the end you are either invincible in decked out X-01 or invisible from stealth, or both, and you have a gigantic stockpile of food and water.

It might be that one of the "reduced loot" mods would make the fun times last longer. My biggest reservation about those mods is that some types of ammo (5.56, plasma, gamma, .44, and flamer fuel especially) are already impractically rare, so with overall reduced loot those might just become extinct.

Simple solution: don't wear power armor.

Hardcore solution: don't wear ballistic weave either. You make a rule that you won't do that throughout your playthrough, and then you stick to it. And then no matter how high you level up, you still die in 3 hits from strong enemies, and every fight is still dangerous.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Ugh gently caress I literally posted that guy's post in the modded thread; I'm a buffoon

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Smol posted:

I wish Luck did something for non-VATS players such as myself. :(

I don't like VATS either (other than as a way of scanning to see if any enemies or mines are near). It's very powerful, but I'd rather play the game myself, rather than setting up shots and then watching the game play itself.

The great benefit of not using VATS is that you don't have to put any points into luck or any VATS perks. That leaves your other SPECIAL skills higher and gives you lots more perks to put elsewhere. Perception and Agility are also important for VATS and you can often skimp on these as well.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Orange Sunshine posted:

Simple solution: don't wear power armor.

Hardcore solution: don't wear ballistic weave either. You make a rule that you won't do that throughout your playthrough, and then you stick to it. And then no matter how high you level up, you still die in 3 hits from strong enemies, and every fight is still dangerous.

I use neither and I' still immortal.

Maybe I should skip the lone wander perk. Though companions are useless when you try to be stealthy and I like the extra carry weight.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I think but I'm not sure that if you tell a companion to stay still and then don't leave the area, the stay order will be cancelled if combat starts. So it allows you a first strike, at least. Pretty sure I've successfully stealthed a few times with Macready following, too.

If you've got the Mechanist expansion, the companion you get at the very outset has ridiculous carrying capacity even on survival.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think but I'm not sure that if you tell a companion to stay still and then don't leave the area, the stay order will be cancelled if combat starts. So it allows you a first strike, at least. Pretty sure I've successfully stealthed a few times with Macready following, too.

If you've got the Mechanist expansion, the companion you get at the very outset has ridiculous carrying capacity even on survival.

Yes but then in early Survival. Most sneaking is about getting around the super mutant squad with rocket launchers. Rather than plink away at them with a .38 pipe rifle.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Smol posted:

I wish Luck did something for non-VATS players such as myself. :(

There's a mod that does a slo-mo mode that uses AP and that you can set to replace VATS. I don't think it has any interaction with the VATS perks, but you could try and send the author a suggestion to that account.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

I use neither and I' still immortal.

Maybe I should skip the lone wander perk. Though companions are useless when you try to be stealthy and I like the extra carry weight.

Are you on a VATS sneak build or something? That would be your problem. It's too overpowered. I use no VATS, and only a reflex sighted plasma rifle, and at around level 60 I still die quite a bit. I think there was an invincible bit around level 55 but after that I got a new crop of level scaled bullet sponges and with my fully maxed plasma rifle with level 5 rifleman, and Tesla armor, I still get into hairy situations all the time. It's scaring me because I don't know if I can make my build any stronger, and the enemies are just going to get worse and worse.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also whoever said luck isn't good if you don't use VATS, idiot savant is the best perk in the game imo, regardless of what your intelligence is. I'm level 57 and I haven't even been to the institute yet.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

Also whoever said luck isn't good if you don't use VATS, idiot savant is the best perk in the game imo, regardless of what your intelligence is. I'm level 57 and I haven't even been to the institute yet.

same but without idiot savant. I finally did the Glowing Sea at like 65

on ps4 :unsmigghh:

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

This assumes you are in a hurry to level up. Since everything in the game scales up with you, I'm not sure why this is a good idea.

And there are certain (admittedly uncommon) builds where you're actually better off at lower level. The berserk syringe only works on enemies under level 20, for example. And as far as mines go, you're really at your best at level 10 when you first get Demolition Expert 2. Your damage with mines doesn't go up as fast as enemies get stronger.

Kellogg is easier to kill when you're lower level generally, because unless you take perks which most players don't take, a shot with a fat man won't kill him once you reach a certain level.

Orange Sunshine fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 10, 2016

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Volkerball posted:

I would argue that the perk points saved by skipping luck all together is more than the levels generated jy the extra xp. Especially since these levels would always be "on top"

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Orange Sunshine posted:

This assumes you are in a hurry to level up. Since everything in the game scales up with you, I'm not sure why this is a good idea.

And there are certain (admittedly uncommon) builds where you're actually better off at lower level. The berserk syringe only works on enemies under level 20, for example. And as far as mines go, you're really at your best at level 10 when you first get Demolition Expert 2. Your damage with mines doesn't go up as fast as enemies get stronger.

Kellogg is easier to kill when you're lower level generally, because unless you take perks which most players don't take, a shot with a fat man won't kill him once you reach a certain level.

Land mines can be stacked together for extra damage though. Fort Hagen is surrounded by bottlecap mines. Collect them. Stack them in the doorway before the Kellog fight. Fire a fatman or throw grenaded/vats to kill Kellogs synths and then run around the corner back into the hallway. Kellog will round the corner and trigger the mines.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's sort of disappointing to see Nuka World will be the final DLC, but I think if it's a decent dungeoncrawl, then I'll be satisfied. TBH, my opinion of the game hasn't really changed since my first playthrough. It's fun to run the shooting galleries, salvaging trash is the best in a Bethsoft game yet, and building a character is decently interesting. The role playing and story is godawful, however. You can skip most of the story by mashing the talk button ("Uh-huh, yep, Uh-huh") and just do the shooting galleries / salvaging, which has mostly stayed consistently fun across the DLCs. I'm hoping Nuka World will be balanced towards level 40+ characters, since my guy is getting up there, and the modicum of challenge in the gunplay is starting to slip away.

I do wish that I could bring myself to care about the Minecraft-lite poo poo at all, since that appears to be nearly half of what I've paid for in the season pass. I think I'd like it a lot more if I didn't have to sink points into CHA to actually experience it (and gently caress running a new character at this point).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, as much as I have problems with Bethsoft's apparent design philosophy, I'd love to see a post-mortem of this game. Like, were there ever going to be actual dialog trees? Were skill checks ever in the game? When did the settlement building enter the picture, and how did it change the design doc? I think having answers to all of that would help to explain the eventual final product.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

You can skip most of the story by mashing the talk button ("Uh-huh, yep, Uh-huh")
Speaking of this, I just accidentally discovered that hitting the pip boy button during dialogue gets you rude variations on this where the player character just sighs or mutters "shuuut up" under their breath. There's even unique lines uttered for certain NPC's.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

That's the new bug UFO3P's author, Arthmoor, is up in a tizzy about! You likely have to start a new play-through, because that bug isn't exactly fixed/fixable/understood yet.

Speaking of bugs, if anyone reading this encounters them, here's the link to Bethesda's "submit feedback" page, where people are supposed to report bugs/issues: https://help.bethesda.net/app/fallout_feedback

Could be useful to add to the OP.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

sector_corrector posted:

It's sort of disappointing to see Nuka World will be the final DLC, but I think if it's a decent dungeoncrawl, then I'll be satisfied. TBH, my opinion of the game hasn't really changed since my first playthrough. It's fun to run the shooting galleries, salvaging trash is the best in a Bethsoft game yet, and building a character is decently interesting. The role playing and story is godawful, however. You can skip most of the story by mashing the talk button ("Uh-huh, yep, Uh-huh") and just do the shooting galleries / salvaging, which has mostly stayed consistently fun across the DLCs. I'm hoping Nuka World will be balanced towards level 40+ characters, since my guy is getting up there, and the modicum of challenge in the gunplay is starting to slip away.

I do wish that I could bring myself to care about the Minecraft-lite poo poo at all, since that appears to be nearly half of what I've paid for in the season pass. I think I'd like it a lot more if I didn't have to sink points into CHA to actually experience it (and gently caress running a new character at this point).

How much of this is do to the setting? I know that I had much more fun exploring blown out DC or the Mojave desert than I did greater Boston.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God drat why is it so hard to line up conveyors under hoppers. I wound up going with a much less elegant solution for my rejected items hopper. It actually looks pretty cool in motion when items just start dropping in.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Normally you are supposed to put the hoppers ON the converyors, but thats probably not very helpful advice when squeezing it between floor tiles.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Vats free survival... I don't know if I could do that. I can't hit the side of a barn without vats.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Zephyrine posted:

Vats free survival... I don't know if I could do that. I can't hit the side of a barn without vats.

That's funny because my character with low agility can't hit the side of a barn with VATS yet can handle their sniper rifle with robotic precision normally.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Agility affects AP, it's perception that gives VATS accuracy.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Zephyrine posted:

It's the only way to play the game for me. Probably not too feasible on consoles though.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Smol posted:

It's the only way to play the game for me. Probably not too feasible on consoles though.

I'm just an out of practise FPS player. I used to be pretty good back when I played multiplayer FPS games back when MW2 was the thing but the pacing in those are not really that fun for me.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Zephyrine posted:

I'm just an out of practise FPS player. I used to be pretty good back when I played multiplayer FPS games back when MW2 was the thing but the pacing in those are not really that fun for me.

It's always easy to shoot people with stealth because they just stand there, VATS or no. If not using stealth then full auto is easy mode. The Gatling Laser can be made quite powerful and is the most ammo efficient gun in the game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

J-Spot posted:

Speaking of this, I just accidentally discovered that hitting the pip boy button during dialogue gets you rude variations on this where the player character just sighs or mutters "shuuut up" under their breath. There's even unique lines uttered for certain NPC's.
A rather huge number of quest NPCs, actually. There are at least two in Covenant, for example. It turned me around on having a voiced protagonist pretty quickly. That and the special barks / initial greetings when you use combat drugs. Half the fun of combat is popping Psychojet and screaming in slo-mo as you dismember things

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Basic Chunnel posted:

A rather huge number of quest NPCs, actually. There are at least two in Covenant, for example. It turned me around on having a voiced protagonist pretty quickly. That and the special barks / initial greetings when you use combat drugs. Half the fun of combat is popping Psychojet and screaming in slo-mo as you dismember things

I knew about the rushing through dialogue thing, but not the rude Pip Boy thing, will have to try it out. You also get slightly different dialogue if you're drunk, with slurred "Uh huh, yeah, uh huh" and such. I give the game a lot of poo poo for having a voiced protagonist, but I do like that they added things like that in... loving KILL!!!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

reagan posted:

How much of this is do to the setting? I know that I had much more fun exploring blown out DC or the Mojave desert than I did greater Boston.

I've never really been to the North East, so I don't know how accurate it is, but the setting of FO4 might as well be "any semi temperate place with sort of old construction on the eastern seaboard". I guess Fenway is recognizable, and maybe being a Boston native gives you a few "oh, cool" moments, but it's super generic once you get past the monuments, IMO. I'm practically a DC native, and I felt the same way about that game. Once you get past recognizing the Washington Monument, for example, nothing really feels like the District. Silver Spring is hilariously off the mark, for example. Far Harbor is actually an exception, though. I like the feeling of being in an oppressive radioactive marsh and then peaking out to New Englandy resort towns.

I think the main reason I like FO4 environs so much is that junk matters a lot more this time around. Being on the lookout for adhesive, aluminum, and copper makes exploring more fun. They also did a good job with verticality. The moments where you're in a firefight on a plank bridge between skyscrapers is legitimately cool and interesting. I'm pretty tired of the whole "skeleton tableau from before the war along with a note or a holotape for exposition" form of environmental storytelling, but I have to give them credit for making pretty much every corner of the map have at least something like that.

The actual written quests are trash, however, and mainly just an excuse to send you to the next "explore, kill, loot" engagement loop. Luckily, unlike FO3, that loop is very fun and rewarding.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

hup posted:

My settlers won't let themselves be assigned to things anymore? I try to make them move but no dice. I've turned off the unofficial patch and don't call me settler, but nothin

Apoplexy posted:

I think you can possibly dodge the issue if you disable the unofficial patch, then load a savegame from before you updated to the latest UP, where you're not in or relatively near any of your settlements.

That worked for me at least, my settlers still obey me and don't shapeshift.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Thanks to survival and compulsive saving, I can't :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I knew about the rushing through dialogue thing, but not the rude Pip Boy thing, will have to try it out. You also get slightly different dialogue if you're drunk, with slurred "Uh huh, yeah, uh huh" and such. I give the game a lot of poo poo for having a voiced protagonist, but I do like that they added things like that in... loving KILL!!!

If you're high on chems, you go "Preach it, brother!" when skipping through dialogue.

Some of the "rude skip" options are person-specific. I got "drat reporters..." when skipping through some of Piper's dialogue.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

gasman posted:

I think you can possibly dodge the issue if you disable the unofficial patch, then load a savegame from before you updated to the latest UP, where you're not in or relatively near any of your settlements.

That worked for me at least, my settlers still obey me and don't shapeshift.

So it is best practice now to avoid the Unofficial Fallout patch entirely?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any mods that let you do Skyrim style enchanting where you can eat a unique item and learn how to enchant its ability? If so, do they require the SE, or is that available for the XBone market?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I don't really get the weapon/armour mod system. If I break down weapons do I keep whatever mods are attached to them? If not is there a way to just strip al the mods off stuff apart from manually replacing anything with the "standard" option?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Scrapping something scraps the mods too, giving materials. If you want to recover the mod then you have to craft and install something else.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

GamingHyena posted:

So it is best practice now to avoid the Unofficial Fallout patch entirely?

All I know is that for me:
Latest official patch + latest unofficial patch = Settler bug.
Latest official patch - latest unofficial patch = No settler bug.

I can't be bothered to try an earlier version of the unofficial patch.
More info/drama may show up in this thread: https://community.bethesda.net/thread/53871

Arthmoor posted:

There was a fix made to the WorkshopSandboxRelaxation20x4 AI package. For reasons unknown, this change aggravated whatever the underlying engine issue is. After removing this from the UFO4P, settlers have stopped changing their physical appearance, gender, or race. They don't lose their inventories anymore either.

gasman fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 11, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What is the base_id for the Brotherhood of Steel combat armor pieces?

OR

How do I give myself the ability to paint sturdy combat armor pieces with the BoS paints/mods?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

gasman posted:

All I know is that for me:
Latest official patch + latest unofficial patch = Settler bug.
Latest official patch - latest unofficial patch = No settler bug.

Same here. Playing on a console makes it even more frustrating as I already had to abandon a game because it would crash every time I went to Red Rocket for some reason. I guess I'll just start a new clean game with just the survival options mod so I can save right before you exit vault 111. At least then if I have to start a new character I don't have to run through the into again and again.

• Locked thread