Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rorus Raz posted:

Did they even schedule a ton of super long runs this year? FFVI and Mario RPG were both under four hours (I think Mario clocked in at three), which feels like a decent time for an RPG speedrun. I'm not a huge fan of them, but at 3-4 hours it's something I can put on the other monitor to listen to while I do other things.

The longest run was Final Fantasy VI at 3:55:54

There were only 3 runs that went over 3 hours and they were Final Fantasy VI, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario RPG.

SMRPG barely counts because its time was 3:06:06 and the last 10-15min were the ending/credits.

I wonder if the lack of super long runs this year was intentional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i will second the Resident Evil 2 run if you want to see someone slowly lose their mind and unravel by the end of it

lets a go.. letsa go... letsago... lets.. a go..... lesssaggoo..... lessssssaaaggooooooo....... llllesssssaaaagggooooooooo

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That Deus Ex run was fantastic. Disco Elevators for everybody.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

You can't tell me you could've stayed up all night, barely awake to watch the last few minutes of the last run on the last day after SGDQ broke their record and watched as the music synced up with the exact moment THE END appeared on the screen and you hear "and...time" by the runner and didn't feel a little tiny lump in your throat as everyone applauded :911:

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/77097504?t=17h42m05s <--

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Hot grill and biggest fan were some S tier puns

Greetings from Germany

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

McDragon posted:

Heinki has a real way with words.

"Everything which is out of bounds is getting destroyed. Immediately." "You don't want to have a corpse in your program."

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Maybe somethings wrong with me but I'm really not seeing the appeal of the Jak and Daxter run? I'm about a half hour in.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Deus ex was fun because it was the kind of thing where the wacky glitches were coming in too fast for the runner to keep up with explaining them

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Mega man X 3 run is good

Caleb is nice and chill

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dork457 posted:

Maybe somethings wrong with me but I'm really not seeing the appeal of the Jak and Daxter run? I'm about a half hour in.

poo poo ton of posts saying "first hour sets up the entire second hour of hilarity"

another post going "hey this first hour isn't hilarity wtf????"

keep watching

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Was the Mario 64 race good?

Shoshie
Nov 22, 2007

Dork457 posted:

You're not alone. I love Jak and Daxter, but unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to that run. My boyfriend went to see it, but found the guy super annoying, plus thought his gameplay kinda sucked, so he left. I didn't even know it was highly regarded until yesterday. I plan on giving it a watch eventually.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

McDragon posted:

that was probably my favorite out of anything.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Shoshie posted:

You're not alone. I love Jak and Daxter, but unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to that run. My boyfriend went to see it, but found the guy super annoying, plus thought his gameplay kinda sucked, so he left. I didn't even know it was highly regarded until yesterday. I plan on giving it a watch eventually.

Many people in this very thread did the same thing at first :getin:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
People don't like BONESAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW?!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Dork457 posted:

Some things just aren't worth it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Owen Wilson would want you to watch it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

if goons want to bail early on the best run of any GDQ ever because they are impatient/Don't Have Faith, I say let them.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Was the Mario 64 race good?
It's nothing amazing, and honestly I would have preferred something a bit more different for such a donation incentive, but it's still a very good race with some tense moments at the end. I recommend giving it a watch.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Aishlinn posted:

Wasn't that the game where the runner was super shy and barely spoke english? Maybe he was just trying to cover up the fact that the runner didnt want to try and talk

I talked to johann about this in more detail lately and here's a complete picture of how this went down.

Fladervy is the runner, and he barely speaks English, so johann was always going to be taking point with regards to commentary and in that regard he certainly took point even though I think he could stand to breathe a bit.

Where this got dumb, was that I organised for Strife (the developer of the game) to be on commentary via Skype call as well in order to take additional pressure off Fladervy and for johann to not have to carry the entire show on his lonesome. I thought this was a good idea. poo poo was arranged, I told Fladervy and all seemed good. Apparently, johann was not aware that Strife was going to be on call until literally just before the run (even though Fladervy told me that he told the dude two loving days in advance very clearly) and then tried to blame me for not telling him even though it's not my loving job to micromanage commentary for someone else's run, so johann kinda just did what he was going to do anyway and talked a storm about Milla% largely ignoring the dev entirely.

Him cutting the dev off in mid-sentence was accidental at least, Strife was apparently on like several full seconds of lag due to Skype being an extremely poo poo program so johann occasionally stepped over the guy without meaning to.

i still think it was kind of a poo poo show and I'm incredibly pissed off that blame got foisted onto me somehow

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Part of the fun of these events is sticking with it and being surprised, and it's consistently been surprising and entertaining.
Even the Tasmanian Tiger run was fascinating to me because the runner did a lot of things that would've been completely fine if he wasn't so insufferably unfunny about it all.

Also, all the recommendations are correct and I don't have much to add to the lists.

This was another great GDQ. :rip: Tetris tho. Maybe in a couple years it will return.

Looking forward to the final SGDQ16 shirt whenever it is designed.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I for one cannot wait for the new doom to be at gdq

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Alabaster White posted:

Heinki has a real way with words.

"Everything which is out of bounds is getting destroyed. Immediately." "You don't want to have a corpse in your program."

I could not tell what nationality he was based on his accent, but as soon as he mentioned he was German literally everything about the run started to make sense.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Something that was really good this year was there was a lot of good couches. It seemed that a couple of marathons ago there was a sudden trend where all the couches were dead serious and all the """""excitement"""" came from the same old lame HOOIPPEE. But this year there were a lot of fun, light, active couches which made the whole thing seem more fun and friendly. It's a trend that should continue

Basically if people are just going to sit there with there arms crossed the whole time kick em off and get some funny rando in there

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Watching the replay of the Jak & Daxter race, it took awhile to get good but now I'm at the underwater base and everything happening right now is magical

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Someone please make a super-cut of all the Owen Wilson impressions please

Thank you in advance for your service

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Watching the replay of the Jak & Daxter race, it took awhile to get good but now I'm at the underwater base and everything happening right now is magical

I find that that run literally jumps the shark, it's pretty great.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I recommend celeste because you can watch the whole thing while anther run buffers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffti-asjSeg

Totally not just because its my run.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just watched the Mickey Mousecapades run cause it was like 8 minutes long. I wouldn't put it in the MUST WATCH catagory, but I thought it was a quick fun little run of a game that is just downright bizzare. Apparently they took out references to Alice in Wonderland throughout like half the game but then the other half they leave stuff in. The whole game feels like there was zero thought put into any kind of level design or enemy placement or anything (which there probably wasn't seeing as this game was from the NES era)

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

SeXReX posted:

I recommend celeste because you can watch the whole thing while anther run buffers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffti-asjSeg

Totally not just because its my run.

Explaining before you rocketed through it was a wise idea

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

LethalGeek posted:

Explaining before you rocketed through it was a wise idea

I actually meant to explain even more about what pico 8 is but I'm not the best at remembering things as evidenced by my couch having to shout out the other 100% runner who wasn't there.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I guess what I can take from this whole SGDQ event was that the only thing that annoyed me the most was the Mario Maker block. To me it was just like a LP of random streamers playing a difficult level and the crowd/twitch chat reacting to it There were no shrtcuts, no skill, no strategy; just blind streamers going in to a level and trying their best....no going fast, not going speedy. You could've have literally had anyone on the couch for this segment and nothing would have changed. There is a reason why this event is called Games Done Quick and I felt there was no reason for this type of game thrown into the event. They all died pretty quick but maybe throw in this Mario Maker thing as a bonus or something because to me you could have showed this game at some other event (an event like PAX) and it would still have the same results.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Most people can't finish those levels ever, since you apparently haven't played any of those kinds of levels. Watching them figure it out on the fly in <10 minutes generally was quick and fun.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Can we expect some VR speedruns at AGDQ?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

smell this posted:

I guess what I can take from this whole SGDQ event was that the only thing that annoyed me the most was the Mario Maker block. To me it was just like a LP of random streamers playing a difficult level and the crowd/twitch chat reacting to it There were no shrtcuts, no skill, no strategy; just blind streamers going in to a level and trying their best....no going fast, not going speedy. You could've have literally had anyone on the couch for this segment and nothing would have changed. There is a reason why this event is called Games Done Quick and I felt there was no reason for this type of game thrown into the event. They all died pretty quick but maybe throw in this Mario Maker thing as a bonus or something because to me you could have showed this game at some other event (an event like PAX) and it would still have the same results.

This is crazy to me. I somewhat get the complaint about them not being true speedruns, but at the same time it was easily one of the best parts of the entire event. It had a fully packed crowed going nuts over it. And I wouldn't be surprised if it helped a ton with getting donations

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Your average LPer was not going to land any of those sick wall jumps

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

smell this posted:

The convention hall internet that events like PAX use to livestream panels are notoriously unreliable at best and it would be absolutely loving stupid to try to plan a charity stream around it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Jet Set Radio run was cool. I'm especially impressed at how well the runner managed those "spray the gang members' backs" stages. Those are hard.

e: lol I like how he talks about easy the races are. What he doesn't tell you is that the game doesn't tell you where you're supposed to go and the stages are not linear so when you're playing the game the firs time, unless you get lucky, you pretty much have to lose the first time just so you can follow the NPC and learn where you're supposed to go.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 11, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone from tech around know the total count of different consoles/platforms?

Purely idle curiosity, but i'm kind of fascinated, they did an incredible job switching between so many different systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

beep by grandpa posted:

Your average LPer was not going to land any of those sick wall jumps

As evidenced by how much trouble pie had :smuggo:

• Locked thread